Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 3]

Abramelin

Yes, do Finda's people have their name from their FINDINGRIKHÊD or OVER.FINDINGRIKHÊD?

There is nothing that is expressively said about it, but I have also asked myself if that's the case.

Finda's people shall turn its FINDINGRIKHÊD (inventiveness) into common advantage, that Lyda's people its strength, and we our wisdom (Page 141).

Among Finda's people there are unwise who by their OVER.FINDINGRIKHÊD (over-inventiveness) have become so wicked that they make themselves wise, and let their initiated ones assert that they are the best part of Wralda; that their spirit is the best part of Wralda's spirit, and that Wralda can only think by the help of their brain (Page 100).

Finda may possibly be identical with an old Wendic (“Findic”) mother goddess of pre-Celtic origin, named Vinda (Vindo, Uinda, Uindo, Uinde). The v readily becomes an f – for example is the v in Modern German pronounced as an f. Vinda is closely related to the old mother and reindeer goddess Bovinda, who has roots back in the Neolithic age. It probably is about the same deity.

Bovinda did in turn probably originate in India, where we find Govinda as one of the many names for the Hindu god Krishna. The word is composed of go (‘cow’) and wind (‘find’), meaning ‘cow finder’, i.e. ‘cow shepherd’, and which seems to confirm that Finda means ‘to find’ – but in the significance of ‘to find for protection’.

Just assuming and working with the thesis that there can be found a meaning in the names Finda and Lyda, as "Vrije" (a free one) can be found in Frya, one comes to the verbs "vinden" and "wenden" for Finda. I like the descriptions you gave.

Lyda I then personally connect with "lieden/lui" as common people, talking "loud" (hard voice of Lyda).

But back to Finda, there are other connections with the verb "finding" imo. How odd like you pointed out; the shepherd connection becomes clear in Go-Vinda, and Krishna Govinda came according to OLB from the then-being heartland of Finda. Finda people also chasing one another and being related to the wild shepherds.

When one threatens another to do harm one also says "I know where to find you". So finding as protection or as assault, both seem to have their meaning in the core and that is: searching and getting result.

So besides finding-rykhed (for the best a practical and commercial spirit, for the worse just cunningness for own profit) for me it relates to 2 other "finding" (wending, turning) connections:

- Wild finda as nomadic people (ever looking for, finding and turning towards another more suitable piece of land)

- Finda are said to be victim of their own creeds and beliefs, Finns (not as wild like other Finda) but very keen on following all outward presentation in this.

A bit like a good chatolic/protestant was expected to go to church by the priests i assume, more personal motives are to turn off bad luck just in case it should matter in the end.

The verb "to find" (vinden) is also used in reference to form a kind of judgement.

By this I tend to see in OLB the Fins as a less nomadic but puritan part of Finda. By being less nomadic they got the time and place to build statues/churches to practice their beliefs.

So in short, maybe not explicitly mentionned but on OLB descriptions of Finda people mixed with the "find" verb you get a Nomadic, shepherd people roaming to and fro (wenden, like the wind), who have a pretty strong and judgementale system in how the other should follow the correct road (probably also commercial or tax laws) but less inclined to follow all the right way themselves.

• Like 1

Regarding: LÔNA, LÂNA:

(...) Old Norse lön (plural: lanar) (...) Marius Hægstad and Alf Torp (Gamalnorsk ordbok med nynorsk tyding), however, translate it as ‘elongated pile or heap’. It is undoubtedly the same word in question, and ‘elongated pile or heap’ explains exactly what it is about.

Great find!

(...)

Finda may possibly be identical with an old Wendic (“Findic”) mother goddess of pre-Celtic origin, named Vinda (Vindo, Uinda, Uindo, Uinde). (...) Vinda is closely related to the old mother and reindeer goddess Bovinda, who has roots back in the Neolithic age. It probably is about the same deity.

Bovinda did in turn probably originate in India, where we find Govinda as one of the many names for the Hindu god Krishna. The word is composed of go (‘cow’) and wind (‘find’), meaning ‘cow finder’, i.e. ‘cow shepherd’, and which seems to confirm that Finda means ‘to find’ – but in the significance of ‘to find for protection’.

All very interesting

Here is a study I did of relevant fragments concerning Finda and the Finda people: http://fryskednis.blogspot.de/2015/04/finda-was-gel.html

I'm personally not so sure as to what to make of this all, as names like Finn are also known amongst the Scandinavians (popular viking name Thorfinn), Irishmen (popular recurring king's name) and Frisians (again a king's name). If you ask my opinion for the least likely scenario, it is the theory of Asian origins which is belied by studies on the distribution of blond hair and blue eyes.

Again, an excellent post. So much good stuff.

I think there has indeed been confusion about tribal names, which is also illustrated by the many names for Germany, see map:

namesGermany.jpg

Another thing to consider is that already in the earliest times, the Magí consciously mixed his blood with that of the Fryas:

pp.55-56 (Sandbach p.79)

When Wodin returned, Magy gave him his daughter to wife. (...) His reign lasted seven years, and then he disappeared. The Magy said that he was taken up by their gods and still reigned over us, but our people laughed at what they said. (...) but the Magy did just as he pleased, because his daughter had a son by Wodin, and he would have it that this son was of high descent. While all were disputing and quarrelling, he crowned the boy as king, and set up himself as guardian and counsellor.

The negative feelings of the Fryas for the "Finns" may have been based mostly on the Magí and his army (of "Finns") conquering ever more parts of "Fryasland" (specially in the 6th c. BCE when the "Book of Adela Followers" would first have been compiled), but most people simply living in the lands that were ruled by the Magí (among which what is now "Finland") may still just have been of original indigenous (blond and blue eyed) stock.

I agree that 'yellow' refers not to race, but to corn blond / gold hair.

To be exact, I said that yellow (geel) did not always refer to what we now call yellow, but rather a light brown (as in "yellow" hair).

Thus with yellow or Finda people, not only Asiatic, but also Mediterranean people of darker (not black) skin colour could have been meant in the OLB, which is supported by this quote, for example:

[057/13] Tünis & Inka

TÜNIS WILDE THRVCH THJU STRÉTE FON THA MIDDEL.SÉ VMBE TO FÁRANE

FÁR THA RIKA KANING FON ÉGIPTA LANDUM. LIK HI WEL ÉR DÉN HÉDE.

MEN INKA SÉIDE THAT.I SIN NOCHT HÉDE FON AL.ET FINDA.S.FOLK.

Sandbach p.81:

Teunis wished to sail through the straits to the Mediterranean Sea,

and enter the service of the rich Egyptian king, as he had done before,

but Inka said he had had enough of all those Finda's people.

Edited by Othar

All very interesting

Here is a study I did of relevant fragments concerning Finda and the Finda people: http://fryskednis.bl...da-was-gel.html

I have read the contents of your link and find it very interesting - especially that you include the ancient Romans in Finda's people, and what you write - that "A fragment suggesting that to be considered of Finda's blood is more about someones behavior, than about skincolor (or actual descent)".

Here I have copied something I wrote on my website about Finda's people (http://oeralindabook.com/findas-people):

«Most Finda’s people had lived on an island continent in the Atlantic Ocean. When this continent sank below the sea in 2193 BC they became dispelled. They fled first to the Mediterranean, where many of them continued to look for fertile land at the eastern end of the sea. Since it wasn’t much arable land to find in the Fertile Crescent either after the disaster – partly because of the salty sea which had covered the soil, many headed north across the Caucasus. Local residents in the Caucasus region (Finns) fled before them as the Finda-people advanced and forcibly took land.

The Finda-people were ruled by a priestly caste called Magians, who also took control of the Finns (Caucasian Slavs) whom they subjugated. A part of this group – which thus came to consist of Finda’s people, Magians and Finns – soon divided. One group went directly west along the north coast of the Black Sea, the other group continued in a more northerly direction and settled in Southeast Sweden. They probably followed the Volga river. The difference between Finda’s people/Magians and Finns was that the Finns probably was of the white race and had brown and taupe hair.

But how is it that it is people from Aldland who settled in the Middle East that are called Finda’s people, when the Mythology explicitly says that Finda was yellow and had straight hair? I think the explanation is that the Freyjans operated with only three races – just on the background of the Mythology: A black race with frizzly black hair, a yellow/brown race with black straight hair and a white race with fair hair.

The part of Finda’s people against whom the Freyjans had such a grudge, seems to have been largely the same peoples who in our time have adopted Islam. It may thus appear that the European fear of Islam runs deep in history – long before the raise of Islamism. On page 71/26-29 Greece is conferred to Finda’s people, while the country today must be regarded as conquered by Freyja’s culture. The border has been moved to neighboring Turkey.»

I think that Finda's people originally was the straight-black-haired Asians, but that it all became mixed up after the natural catastrophe of 2193 BC. Another thing is, that it is hardly possible to discern a lot of people in the Amazon from Southeast Asians. I think that OLB's Finda's people also may have encompassed the Americans. Huge land-masses have disappeared both in the Atlantic and in the Pacific Oceans.

Edited by Apol

(...)

The part of Finda’s people against whom the Freyjans had such a grudge, seems to have been largely the same peoples who in our time have adopted Islam. It may thus appear that the European fear of Islam runs deep in history – long before the raise of Islamism. On page 71/26-29 Greece is conferred to Finda’s people, while the country today must be regarded as conquered by Freyja’s culture. The border has been moved to neighboring Turkey.»

I think that Finda's people originally was the straight-black-haired Asians, but that it all became mixed up after the natural catastrophe of 2193 BC. (...)

Yes, I agree. Very well said.

Yes, I agree. Very well said.

Here is a picture showing Amerindian girls in the Amazon Forest. Marcel F. Homet: Die Söhne der Sonne (1958):

indian girls

I'll continue again in my research by comparison, first between Oera Linda book and the Boxström saga, then the secord part between Oera Linda book and the Norse sagas as another post.

I) This is a little comparative analysis between Oera Linda book and Boxström saga (1996 book with my translations). First we have a piece of text from the Oera Linda book:

Now We Will Write about the War between the Burgtmaagden Kalta and Min-erva,

And how we thereby lost all our southern lands and Britain to the Golen.

Near the southern mouth of the Rhine and the Scheldt there are seven islands, named after Frya’s seven virgins of the week. In the middle of one island is the city of Walhallagara (Middelburg), and on the walls of this city the following history is inscribed. Above it are the words “Read, learn, and watch."

Let's tear it apart to see if it has any similarities to the Boxström saga:

"Near the southern mouth of the Rhine and the Scheldt there are seven islands, named after Frya's seven virgins of the week."

Pages 12 and 47:

Viapori [naval fortress of Suomenlinna] was in our stories the Paradise Islands or the Sun Islands. […] After the ice age here was Hel, a city of Hel. All of this was destroyed the year 1050 [...]

At the great church of Stockholm a paper was signed 16.7.1750, according to which Helsinki's seven islands were to be made into Sveaborg [swedish name for the fortress of Suomenlinna]. That is, 700 years later, at 16.7 our old holy islands were made to be a Sveaborg. That's why my mother [Rhea Boxström 1899-1984] got interested to find out what had happened at Viapori [suomenlinna], because for her it had been known as Odensö [Oden's island] and Odensborg [Oden's castle] […] The central island of the Hel's seven islands was Oden's island

I note that in the Boxström saga the islands are not named after the days of the week, but by other mythological names.

"In the middle of one island is the city of Walhallagara (Middelburg)"

Pages 40, 51 and 79:

At the middle of Uudenmaa was a mountain called Listening Mountain, or Lyssnarberget. At the middle of the Listening Mountain was a hole, the midpoint of the planet […] It was Valhalla […] Hel was the centre point of the Uudenmaa's aesir, that's why it was called Aas-Hel. Hel was […] a city. It was the Midgården of the stories at the place of current Helsinki. There existed a saying ”Hel stan var den heliga staden och vetenskap från Hel var helvetet”, that is: Hel was a holy city and information coming from Hel was ”helveten” [hell], or knowledge from Hel. […] val means elections [as in 'validate'], hall a hall and a the aesir.

"and on the walls of this city the following history is inscribed"

Page 47 on Midgård:

A ring-shaped wall surrounded the towers

"Above it are the words “Read, learn, and watch.”"

Page 5:

My mother and my sister [Rhea and Rachel Boxström] have given this mythology to me. They told stories and held discussions. Both of them were in attendance, otherwise one coudn't speak of the matter. If one made small mistake, another would correct it. […] When they told stories, I was not allowed to say a word. Mother always said that one learns better by listening than by speaking. Storytelling took place so that one sat at the floor near the fireplace and at the light of the candles.

Surely I am not the only one who sees the thematic connection here?

Edited by FromFinland

To be exact, I said that yellow (geel) did not always refer to what we now call yellow, but rather a light brown (as in "yellow" hair).

Thus with yellow or Finda people, not only Asiatic, but also Mediterranean people of darker (not black) skin colour could have been meant in the OLB, which is supported by this quote, for example:

That is just a supposition.

Second part of the research by comparison, this time between Oera Linda book and the Norse sagas.

II) We start again with a piece of text from the Oera Linda book, I have bolded the parts of interest:

When
Wodin returned, Magy gave him his daughter to wife.
Whereupon he was incensed with herbs; but they were magic herbs, and by degrees he became so audacious that he dared to disavow and ridicule the spirits of Frya and Wr-alda, while he bent his free head before the false and deceitful images. His reign lasted seven years, and then he disappeared. The Magy said that he was taken up by their gods and still reigned over us, but our people laughed at what they said. When Wodin had disappeared some time, disputes arose. We wished to choose another king, but the Magy would not permit it. He asserted that it was his right given him by his idols. But besides this dispute there was one between the Magyars and Finns, who would honour neither Frya nor Wodin; but the Magy did just as he pleased, because
his daughter had a son by Wodin
, and
he would have it that this son was of high descent

This is a variation of a Nordic legend, as seen in Hélène Guerber's Myths of the Norsemen, chapters XIV and XVI:

”Odin bade Hermod don his armour and saddle Sleipnir, which he alone, besides Odin, was allowed to ride, and hasten off to the land of the Finns.

[…]

The most noted of these Finnish magicians was Rossthiof (the horse thief) who was wont to entice travellers into his realm by magic arts, that he might rob and slay them; and he had power to predict the future, although he was always very reluctant to do so.

[…]

Rossthiof now began to explain the omens which his art had conjured up, and he declared that the stream of blood portended the murder of one of Odin’s sons, but that if the father of the gods should woo and win Rinda, in the land of the Ruthenes (Russia), she would bear him a son who would attain his full growth in a few hours and would avenge his brother’s death.

[…]

Billing, king of the Ruthenes, was sorely dismayed when he heard that a great force was about to invade his kingdom, for he was too old to fight as of yore, and his only child, a daughter named Rinda, although she was of marriageable age, obstinately refused to choose a husband from among her many suitors, and thus give her father the help which he so sadly needed.

[…]

His services being joyfully accepted, it was not long ere Odin—for it was he—won a signal victory, and, returning in triumph, he asked permission to woo the king’s daughter Rinda for his wife.

[…]

The prophecy of Rossthiof was now fulfilled, for Rinda duly bore a son named Vali”

It must be noted here that if this story has any connection whatsoever to the real past, the Russia of Billing and Rinda here must surely be of pre-Rurikid Finnish age. For example, name of the princess ”Rinda” means 'breast' or 'chest' in Finnish (rinta). Such call-names are well known from Finnish heathen poetry, where a lady might be called for example 'tinchest' or 'tinbreast' (tinarinta) after her rich jewerly.

As the Magy of the Oera Linda book has a strong thematic connection of the east, you'll surely see the parallel to Russia in Norse story above. Overall this reminds of the story of Balder, of which we know both legends of mythical type and the legends of more historical type.

• Like 1

I just realised that this very the same myth is buried deep also in the Boxström saga, though it's a little more difficult to notice it at first glance. Please follow me: here it's the Finland Swedish speaking Aesir of Uudenmaa (i. e. in the western part of the old Finland), of whose prince bearing the family title of Balder (not his given name) gets always his life companion and mother to his children from amongst the Finnish speaking Vanir. The Vanir areas being all the Finnish areas outside of South Finland, known collectively by the names of Rosland and Karjala (i. e. the vast mass in geographic and demographic sense being situated in the east).

The wife of Balder is a Van, or a Finnish speaking Finn, chosen from amongst the most beautiful women of all the various Vanir lands surrounding the land of the Aesir. The catch is, in this variant of the story, the so-called Balder upon the 27th birthday of his twelth son by a Van woman changes his family title from Balder to Per, or Väinämöinen in Finnish language. And anybody with even elementary knowledge of Nordic mythos knows that Väinämöinen is the Finnish name for Odin.

It's just the same narrative of western Odin marrying an eastern girl, of which Frisian, Scandinavian and Finnish variants we have just seen here.

Edited by FromFinland

Not sure if or how this might fit in with the "fortunate occurence at Kasmere , but Sri Lanka had been known as lanka (island ) anciently , until the well known invasion by Prince Vijaya , who re-named it Tambapanni (later Taprobane ) meaning "copper red earth "

it was named Ceilao by the Portuguese around 1505 , from which the British called it Ceylon , but it was also called Serandip by the Persians , and Arabs even before this , Serendib is where the word Serendipity came from , and if you will find the meaning of the word Serendipity means either " a fortunate happenstance , or a pleasant unexpected surprise " how this might connect to Kasimir i am currently at a loss ??

If the original lands of Finda were in India , then it could be that Inka did not split with his brother to find Frysian lands , but maybe went to find even earlier homelands ie: Indian lands , could the island of Lanka be the island of " l(a)nka ?

Sri Lanka was also called at one point " The Sinhala Kingdom " that Hala also resonates , but this name obviously comes from the Sinhalese , who occupied it together with Tamils , Moors , Burghers , Malays and Kaffirs over time, together with the aboriginal occupants called the Vedda.The Malays and Sinhala probably started inhabiting there, from the sinking of the Sunda islands as presented by Abe , a long time ago in this thread.,

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Sundaland

there is still lots of debate in India as to whether the Dravidians are the same people as the more Northern Indians, but the presence of Sundaland would indicate a land inundated by flood from which the occupants had to flee .

i still think we will find eventually that those we are looking for came from these areas , and that the Carmanians (future Germans ) and the Sassanids (future Saxons , Sacca, ) will feature in this enigma.

Edited by Passing Time

Very interesting. Your website is a treasure chest of information, relevant to OLB related research.

A few thoughts about this section on "Inka":

In Sanskrit Vīra means ‘strong man’, ‘hero’ or ‘warrior’, and in Latin it simply means ‘man’ (...)

Cocha means ‘lake’ in the local language. The name Viracocha may thus seem to allude to the ‘Sun King’ who settled in Lake Titicaca.

Or "man (hero) from the lake (sea)"?

In South America inca is an ancient word for ‘ruler’. There is nothing that prevents it from having had its origin in the name of an early ruler, and that the designation was later transferred as a title also to the rulers who succeeded him.

Indeed, similar to "Freyja" (later) also meaning "lady".

They should have called themselves ‘Children of God’.

Similar to GOD.IS TÁLE (god's language) in Gosa's counsil (p.162).

~ ~ ~

To be exact, Abramelin referred to this from my blog:

Dr. Ottema to L.F. Over de Linden, 03-03-1877:

(About a letter he had received from E. Leyte, editor of the German Correspondent in Baltimore, dated 6-2-1877.)

"The author informed me that in the wide mouth of the Amazon River, a group of islands is located, known as 'Inkas Islands', and inhabited to date by a human race with blue eyes and blond hair. (...)

If the original lands of Finda were in India , then it could be that Inka did not split with his brother to find Frysian lands, but maybe went to find even earlier homelands ie: Indian lands , could the island of Lanka be the island of " l(a)nka ?

It is explicitly said that he split with his brother, and that happened in Cádiz.

It is farfetched to believe that Lanka should have anything to do with Inka only because it ends with -nka. Had he traveled to the tip of the Indian subcontinent, then he must have sailed around whole Africa.

Some believe that Atlantis was in Southeast Asia - especially is Arysio Nuñes dos Santos an advocate of that view, but it has no relevance to what Plato says. Everywhere where land has submerged or become flooded, it has been termed "Atlantis" - by laymen as well as scientists. Even a lot of places lying in the clear daylight have been termed "Atlantis". Atlantis was in the Atlantic - even the name "Atlantic" speaks of that, "in front of the Pillars of Hercules", which was a name for the Strait of Gibraltar. Sri Lanka is very far from the Strait of Gibraltar. If Plato should be taken for lying, then we could dismiss his whole story as well.

Edited by Apol

FROM FINLAND am enjoying your input ,

are the Boxstrom saga's available on line ? could the name Finn's have anything to

do with the constant mention of the INN , in many of the saga's where Thor is mentioned ?

have you ever read L.A.Waddell's The british Edda where he seems to think that the stories of Thor, Odin and Balder are

copies of older stories from probably Summerian times of Adam , Eve , Abel and Cain , re-named for the Eddas , and then

re-named and re-worked again for the Arthurian Romances.........

Heer-Thor becoming Ar-Thor , Hother-us becoming Uther, Gewar King of Norway becoming Gewain , and his daughter

princess Nanna , being Arthurs Sister Anna , etc.. do you have any thoughts on this ?... regards PT

A few thoughts about this section on "Inka":

In Sanskrit Vīra means ‘strong man’, ‘hero’ or ‘warrior’, and in Latin it simply means ‘man’ (...)

Cocha means ‘lake’ in the local language. The name Viracocha may thus seem to allude to the ‘Sun King’ who settled in Lake Titicaca.

Or "man (hero) from the lake (sea)"?

Yes, it might be interpreted as "man or hero of the lake", who obviously was a "Sun King".

I just read 'Abremalin's post - not the others in connection with it. Thanks for the correction.

Edited by Apol

Everywhere where land has submerged or become flooded, it has been termed "Atlantis" - by laymen as well as scientists.

And in a way - if the OLB etymology (ALD.LAND = old land) is correct - they are all right... :-)

What do we know about Sandbach? I've never been able to find out anything about him, and any online search only ever brings up his translation of the OLB. Sandbach (pronounced sand-batch) is the name of a town in Cheshire, but this may mean nothing.

What do we know about Sandbach?

Here is all I found (http://fryskednis.bl...n-sandbach.html), genealogical information and some other fascinating facts.

Some interesting facts about the first English translator of the OLB, William Robertson Sandbach (c.1813-1891) West-India merchant from Liverpool.

(...)

Sandbach's mother (Elizabeth Robertson) was from a old Scottish family of ministers/ theologians.

(...)

Did you notice that he first married a baroness, and later, at age (ca.) 24 a 'spinster' (ca. 40 years or older)?

And isn't 'Willink' (Dutch) nobility too?

Also from this blog post:

sandbachnymph.jpg

Nymph and Cupid.marble. 152.2 cm. National Museums & Galleries of Wales (...)

This piece was carved for William Robertson Sandbach of Hafodunnos Hall near Abergele.

Edited by Othar

Here is all I found (http://fryskednis.bl...n-sandbach.html), genealogical information and some other fascinating facts.

Also from this blog post:

sandbachnymph.jpg

Nymph and Cupid.marble. 152.2 cm. National Museums & Galleries of Wales (...)

This piece was carved for William Robertson Sandbach of Hafodunnos Hall near Abergele.

Thank you, very interesting. And there is indeed an ancestral connection with Cheshire, too.