Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 3]

Abramelin

Anyway, everyone here was convinced that the translation should be "girl" or "little girl", based on "buik" = belly, and so on.

I , however, am convinced it should be translated into "little boy".

http://oeralindabook.com/young-boy/

The priests are the only rulers; they call themselves Magyars, and their headman Magy. He is high priest and king in one. The rest of the people are of no account, and in subjection to them. This people have not even a name; but we call them Finns, because although all the festivals are melancholy and bloody, they are so formal that we are inferior to them in that respect. But still they are not to be envied, because they are slaves to their priests, and still more to their creeds. They believe that evil spirits abound everywhere, and enter into men and beasts, but of Wr-alda’s spirit they know nothing. The Magyars affirm that they can exorcise and recall the evil spirits, and this frightens the people, so that you never see a cheerful face.

Here's alternative etymology for the Magy: in Finnish language mahti means 'might', but also on spiritual sense. Mr. Raimo Jussila, a licentiate of philosophy, has the following to tell in his dictionary book Kalevalan sanakirja (Otava 2009), page 213:

• mahti [lit. 'might'] 1. ability to cast spells, ability to do magic [...]
  • mahtimies [lit. 'man of might'] a sage, a wizard [...]
  • mahtipontinen [lit. 'mighty'] one who knows mighty spells

As the first place amongst mythological Finnish heroes is held by Odin-like old man Väinämöinen, known for his superb magician's skills, the description of magy doesn't sound that off the mark.

Of course, it could just be a variant of the tribal name Magyar, in a bit similar way how a leader of a Germanic Hundertschaft was called Hunno, a dual status both for a civilian and military roles (as per the page 25 of J. O. Hannula's 1931 book Sotataidon Historia II).

In the same passage as where we find the word bukja, it says:

When Sêkrops saw that he could not storm our wall with his people, he then sent messengers to Ðyrhis [Tyre]. Afterwards there came three hundred ships full of soldiers from the wild mountain people unexpectedly sailing into our harbor, while we were fighting with all men upon the walls.

Sêkrops was an Egyptian priest. I have asked the question before in this forum: How could they know, before 1867, that Tyre was subject to Egypt around 1551 BC?

It was certainly Ahmose I who was the pharaoh in 1551 BC. This pharaoh’s reign has been considered to have begun in either 1570, 1560 or 1551 BC and ended in 1546, 1537 or 1527 BC, according to various sources.

It is from an ostracon (a piece of pottery) in the grave of Nefertari (Ahmose-Nefertari), the wife of Ahmose I, we know that the pharaoh conquered his way as far as to Kedem – a city supposed to have been situated near Byblos (Byblos is 100-120 kms north of Tyre). No pharaoh had made military campaigns that far north in the Levant before.

Nefertari’s tomb was discovered first in 1881.

Edited by Apol

As for whether Oera Linda book's Finns have any relations to the Nordic Finns, let see what Julius Krohn had to tell in his book 'The heathen service of the Finnish kin' (Finnish Literature Society, Helsinki, 1984, pages 35, 124-126, my translations):

Everytime one went to take a bath [at the lake], one had to take grain to the big stone of Immonen. [...] Kirsti Toivanen had been for long the priestess of the stone; through her the offers were laid and she told the people doing the sacrifice the answers given by the elves. On the eastern beach of the Vahvajärvi at Tikanmäki had been similar offering stone. When it's priestess, the old hag, passed away the stone broke into several pieces.

In year 1534 arch-bishop Makarij, as has been mentioned earlier, complains that the tschudes [
] living in the Novgorod area have their own priests, which are called 'ballot casters' [
arpojat
],
arbui,
of whose chapels they bought sacrifices.

On one different occasion, the Estonians cast a lot between a fat ox and just as fat [Christian] priest, which they had seated on the ox's back. It's not told in detail how it actually happened, only that the lot was cast on the ox, which was immediately butchered. Possibly the same people's elders who held the offer, also acted as warchiefs during a war, and as judges during the peace.

Still in these days [1894] there has remained recollections of sacrificial priests. To Russwurm had one man in the Mihkeli parish of western Estonia told, that he had once seen his grandfather to kneel down before a great stone lying in a field. When he had inquired, what his grandpa was up to, the grandpa slammed his hand on his ears and told to keep silent on the matter, yet declared at the same, that they were descendants of a priest family, of whose holy duty was to serve the old gods.

Of Estonian wise men,
targad
[
tark
= 'wise',
tarkka
= 'precise', 'sharp'], exists notes worthy of attention. According to Wiedemann they existed in different types: salt-
targad
or salt-speakers, word-
targad
or pronouncers, wind- and stone-
targad
, of which the latter were able to explain the lines in the chalk stone, and the mightiest of all, the so-called
Mana
-targad [
Manala
= 'underworld'].

Weske says that the Estonians of
used
for enchanting.

Of Finnish sacrificial priests hardly anything is know for the simple reason, that common sacrifices have almost disappeared, save for eastern Carelia or Russian side [of the border]. As we have discussed earlier of those female priests, who in Leppälahti took the sacrifices, for other people too, to the holy stones and told them the answers given by the elves.

As for the "but, like the Egyptians, they have priests and also statues in their churches", let's have Kaarle Krohn speak on the subject in his book 'Religions of the Finnish kin' (Helsinki 1915, page 209, my translation):

In the Estonia proper's famous sacrificial grove it's told of the missionaries to have felled "the made images and such ones".

In [Estonian island of]
it's mentioned that the [Christian] Germans upon conquering one castle threw out the picture depicting
Tarapitha
, or Thor.

The statues of Finn's are well known is Nordic sagas, which detail the adventures in the Finnish Bjarmaland or Risaland (Rysland, or Russia). There the Finns have rich statues for so-called Jomali, which means in Finnish 'god' (jumala). As told in the occasionally high-fantastic saga of Bosi and Heraud:

Here in the forest stands a great temple. King Harek owns it, who rules here over Bjarmaland. The god called Jomali is worshipped. There is much gold and treasure. The king's mother, who is called Kolfrosta, is in charge of the temple.

[...]

They came to the altar where Jomali was sitting. They took the gold crown from him, set with twelve gemstones, and a necklace, worth three hundred gold marks, and from his knees they took a silver cup so large, that even four men could not empty it. It was full of red gold. But the precious canopy, which hung over Jomala, was worth more than the contents of three ships, the richest to sail the Mediterranean Sea. They took it all for themselves.

Same statue of Jomali existed in 1026 A.D. when the historical person Torer Hund visited it in Bjarmaland. It's described as being of propably wooden make and situationed in a wooden grove. It had a thick and valuable neck chain and at it's knees it had a silver bowl full of money. In addition the same garden-grove had a burial mound full of treasures and was guarded by six guards at all times.

Edited by FromFinland

It was certainly Ahmose I who was the pharaoh in 1551 BC. [...] No pharaoh had made military campaigns that far north in the Levant before.

While being a minor detail to the matter you write of, I must here relate that according to Jordanes the Gothic king Tanausis beat the pharaoh Vesosis' attack in the battle of river Phasis of modern-day Georgia. Name of the pharaoh Vesosis, or Sesostris, is believed to refer to Senusret III, who is in turn though to have reigned from 1878 BC to 1839 BC.

Jordanes claims to base his knowledge on written sources:

For myself, I prefer to believe what I have read, rather than put trust in old wives' tales.

Concerning "Bukja" and Sekrops forbidding to skaend it, there is a coincidence that Cecrops in mythology

"forbade the sacrificing of any living creatures to the gods, as well as any sort of other offering, only allowing cakes formed into the shape of an ox with horns"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecrops_I

The buck (bok) is also a male goat (or ree-bok) that is still used in that way of writing (buck), fe "Het land van Buck" "The land of Buck" (if think this is easy to translate for the whole world :-). http://www.dekroniek...m/P0400100.html

Now there is also the offering ritual and use of a scape-goat (zonde-bok).

Besides that: witches and devils, a deteroriated sexual behaviour are linked with the male goat.

So, in sense the sentence can give a figure for a global condemnation (or at least containment) by Cecrops of superstition, animal offerings, sexual misbehaviour

If bukja is here to be interpreted as a little bok (boy, or servant), then the "Bokken-rijders" and witches riding "the buck" can be interpreted also in a total different way :-)

Edited by Van Gorp

While being a minor detail to the matter you write of, I must here relate that according to Jordanes the Gothic king Tanausis beat the pharaoh Vesosis' attack in the battle of river Phasis of modern-day Georgia. Name of the pharaoh Vesosis, or Sesostris, is believed to refer to Senusret III, who is in turn though to have reigned from 1878 BC to 1839 BC.

Jordanes claims to base his knowledge on written sources:

For myself, I prefer to believe what I have read, rather than put trust in old wives' tales.

Yes, one of the sentences I wrote, isn't completely correct. I wrote that "No pharaoh had made military campaigns that far north in the Levant before [before Ahmose I]". When I tried to correct it, it was too late.

At least one former pharaoh may have carried out a raid and/or conquest to Palestine-Syria before. Herodot relates that he saw inscriptions there, made by the (probably) same Sesostris, who may have been Senusret III (who ruled 1878-1839 BC) (Historiæ 2:106). It is some dispute about it, though.

There were probably only trading contacts between Byblos and Egypt during the rule of Sankhtawy-Sekhemra Iykhernefert-Neferhotep (sic!) of the 13th Dynasty, though the ruler of Byblos described himself at that time as the ‘servant of Egypt’. Another a little later ruler of Byblos, named Inten, acknowledged the Egyptian King Khasekhemra Neferhotep I (who ruled c. 1740 – 1729 BC) as overlord - though it isn't known exactly what it means.

But there were probably no other campaigns that far north than these possible ones until Ahmose I.

Thutmose I (who ruled 1506-1493 BC) led his army to Syria for a campaign in the region a little later.

The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2004)

Edited by Apol

Abremalin wrote May 12th 2013:

I am also glad a guy from Norway started participating in this thread: "Apol", because he, with his Norse background and command of the Norse language, can give us new insights.

Btw, where are you, Apol? And Gestur? And Puzzler? And Alewyn?

I'm back, Abramelin! I have just been busy with my Oera Linda website.

http://oeralindabook.com

Edited by Apol
  • Like 1

I remember we disussed the word "bukja" not that long ago, but I only get search results from the 2nd part of this thread.

Anyway, everyone here was convinced that the translation should be "girl" or "little girl", based on "buik" = belly, and so on.

I , however, am convinced it should be translated into "little boy".

This the passage from the OLB:

[MS73]

As Sêkrops sach that er mith sinum ljuda vsa wal navt biranna ne kv, thâ sand hi bodon nêi Thyrhis. Afternêi kêmon er thrja hvndred skipun fvl salt-âtha fon tha wilde berchfolkum vnwarlinga vsa hâva bifâra, dahwila wy mith alle mannum vppa wallum to strydande wêron.

Drêi as hja thju hâva innomth hêde wildon tha wilda salt-âtha thaet thorp aend vsa skipa birâwa. Ên salt-âthe hêde al en bukja skaend, men Sêkrops wilde thaet navt ne haengja, aend tha Thyrjar stjurar thêr jeta Fryas blod int lif hêde sêidon, aste that dêiste sâ skilun wi tha râde hône in vsa skypa stêka aend thv ne skilst thina berga na withera-sja.

When Sêkrops saw that with his people he could not storm our wall, he sent messengers to Tyre. Thereupon there arrived three hundred ships full with soldiers from the wild mountain people, which sailed unexpectedly into our harbor while we were defending the walls.

When they had taken our harbour, the wild soldiers wanted to plunder the village and our ships—one soldier had already defiled a girl—but Cecrops would not permit it; and the Tyrian sailors, who still had Frisian blood in their veins, said, If you do that we will burn our ships, and you shall never see your mountains again.

Friesch Woordenboek- Lexicon Frisicum (started by Halbertsma):

page 212 of the book, page 240 of the online pdf:

boike: dim.n. jongetje, knaapje. Vgl. (Wieringer) baike, kind. Kex. 429. (EN: little boy, lad)

page 244 of the book, page 272 of online pdf:

bûke (with an accent circonflex on top of the -u-): voc. jongetje, maatje (EN: little boy, mate, or matie (?))

https://archive.org/...rdenb01horngoog

In short: the Lexicon gives us words (boike & bûke) that come very close to the OLB "bukja".

And watching a movie ("Elysium", a scifi movie with Jodie Foster and Matt Damon) recently, I heard a South African, the 'bad guy' called 'Kruger' (played by Sharlto Copley), say the word "boykie" a couple of times, when he and Matt Demon were beating the crap out of each other, and Matt Demon - for those who don't know him - is not a girl, lol. An interesting aside: one of the main characters in this movie, a woman, is called "Frey".

"Where are you, boykie? Where are you?"

"Eh, boykie?"

"You've got some fire in you, boykie."

And in the English subtitles the word "boykie" is not translated, and in italics (which is odd, because the producers were also South Africans).

South Afrikaans has retained a lot of archaic features of the Dutch language.

In Swedish pojke als means boy. I rather suspect that the South African boykie may have originated from Scottish.

So the English 'boy' is derived from pojke and related to boike.

However, in Dutch and in some other languages as well, females and female children may be included in male descriptive nouns and pronouns. Thus boike might conceivably not only mean boy, but also child; as does the Wieringer 'baike'.

Note that the suffix -ke is a dimunitive.

In the same passage as where we find the word bukja, it says:

When Sêkrops saw that he could not storm our wall with his people, he then sent messengers to Ðyrhis [Tyre]. Afterwards there came three hundred ships full of soldiers from the wild mountain people unexpectedly sailing into our harbor, while we were fighting with all men upon the walls.

This appears to be about king Cecrops of Athens: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecrops_I

In Swedish pojke als means boy. I rather suspect that the South African boykie may have originated from Scottish.

So the English 'boy' is derived from pojke and related to boike.

However, in Dutch and in some other languages as well, females and female children may be included in male descriptive nouns and pronouns. Thus boike might conceivably not only mean boy, but also child; as does the Wieringer 'baike'.

Note that the suffix -ke is a dimunitive.

Here it says that "boykie" comes from English "boy", and that the 'kie' ending is the S-African diminutive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_African_slang_words#Original_South_African_English_coinages

Sorry to tell you but Doggerland can never be the Atland from the OLB. It submerged around 6100 BCE and with Dogger Island maybe hanging on for a couple of centuries more.

In short: it was long gone before 2194 BCE.

And the OLB literally tells us that Atland was the homeland of the Finda, and that it was too far away to cause the Fryans on the mainland of Europe any headaches. If the Fryans were the great sailors as we are to believe, than Doggerland was most certainly not "far away", not even Dogger Island.

Btw, you might want to read a 50+ pages long thread here about Doggerland. It will give you lots more info than that Wiki page.

EDIT: here it is:

http://www.unexplain...c=179840&st=840

Strange that no one 'jumped' on that link....

To get what I am talking about, search for either "Deruelle" and/or "Tristain" and/or "Garvis".

I had prepared a large post, but here's a hint:

Doggerlande1-7000BC.jpg

(The shape of the Dogger Bank starts forming. The (ground)level at +30 mtrs (see "Bourrelet" in Denmark, a buffer) deviates Elbe, Weser and Ems to a lake encircled by a 14 mtrs high coast in The Netherlands. The outflow of the lake cuts, via the Zuiderzee, through to the Silver Pit, south-west of the Dogger Bank, and in the south through the gully to the Strait of Dover.)

Doggerlande2.jpg

( Map 3: "Atlantis around 3000 bce. But this looks more like an ancient "Texland"...

"Leaning against the re-emerging Dogger Bank, the Great Plain spreads out at 10 to 20 meters below sealevel, protected by mighty dikes. The waters coming from the continent are being blocked by a slope formed by the Frisian and Danish islands. Behind this dam, the sea penetrates through the low lands that are now again covered by a thick layer of peat. The soil/ground of Denmark has not yet sank enough for it to allow the Elbe again access to its former course)

Doggerlande3-northsea-present.jpg

DOGGERSBANK-Deruelle.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

Morsiglia, a port on the west coast of the northern tip of Corsica (Cap Corse)

How ancient is that port? Sounds a lot like Marsillia, AND it is located on an island in the northern part of the Med.

It appears to be as old as the Massilia on the southern coast of France:

https://fr.wikipedia...#Antiquit.C3.A9

Marseille was never an island, as far as I can see from online paleographic maps.

OLB, MS60:

hwat thêr of wrden is.

inner northlikste herne fon tha middel.sê.

thêr lêid en ê.land by thêre kâd.

nw kêmon hja thät a kâp to frêjande.

thêrvr wärth ene mêna acht bilêid.

moder.is rêd wärth vvnnen.

moder sach ra lyast fêr of.

thervmbe mênde hju that er nên kwa an stek.

thach äs wi äfternêi sâgon ho wi misdên hêde

hävon wi thät ê.land mis.sellja hêten.

Wat daar van (ge)worden is.

In de noordelijkste hoek van de Middel-Zee.

Daar ligt 'n eiland bij de kade.

Nu kwamen zij dat te koop vragen.

Daarover werd een (alge)mene acht(= oordeel) bij(ge)legd.

Moeder's raad werd (ge)wonnen.

Moeder zag 'r liefst ver af.

Daarom meende zij dat er geen kwaad in stak.

Doch als wij daarna zagen hoe wij misdaan hadden

hebben wij dat eiland Missellja (ge)heten (= genoemd).

What became of it.

In the northernmost corner of the Middle Sea

There lies an island near the quay.

Now they came and asked to buy that.

On which a general judgement was settled.

Mother’s advice was asked.

Mother loved to see them far off.

That's why she saw no harm in it.

Though, as we thereafter saw how we misdid (>yep, "misdo" is English!)

we called the island Missellia.

----------

Another possibility:

THE CARTHAGINIANS, PEOPLES OF THE ANCIENT WORLD

Dexter Hoyos (online pdf)

Numidia’s many peoples had had dealings with the Phoenicians

and Carthaginians from very old times. Carthaginian trade-settlements

like Hippo Regius, Rusicade, Icosium and Iol dotted the coast

not only as entrepôts for Numidian trade but as way-stations for

ships en route to or from the far west. The Numidian people formed

two broad tribal groups, the Masaesyli dwelling in the west and

centre, the Massyli in the east, each with district and clan sub-groups.

You'd think that these Masaeyli/Massyli might have something to do with the settling of Massilia/Marseilles. You won't find that on the internet, it's just my idea. These Numidian tribes had hooked up with the Cartagenians, and may have been responsible for the naming of Marseilles (Massilia).

http://waterltd.eu/370/the-carthaginians-peoples-of-the-ancient-dexter-hoyos-id88449.pdf

Edited by Abramelin

Here it says that "boykie" comes from English "boy", and that the 'kie' ending is the S-African diminutive: https://en.wikipedia...nglish_coinages

Maybe, but on the other hand a 'boy' is pojke in Swedish (as Ell told) and poika in Finnish. As words and names tend to become shorter in time, one would suspect for the long form to be the one of a great age.*

The diminutive ending might still apply, as in flicka or 'girl', as opposed to the adult man/kvinna, which do not have the ykie/jke/ika-ending. (k -> youngster, n -> adult.)

*Yes, I know the so-called linguists have their *PIE fantasies of the exact opposite lineage, where *asterix words are invented to back up made-up theories and the southern European known variants of the words are always considered to be as of more ancient age, as if they were somehow immune to the vast cultural changes known to have happened over there. Totally unlike the Nordic part of the Europe, which has had relatively little known genetical or cultural change since the end of the last ice-age, and thus IMHO likely retains the most archaic worlds still in use in the whole Europe.

Edited by FromFinland

*Yes, I know the so-called linguists have their *PIE fantasies of the exact opposite lineage, where *asterix words are invented to back up made-up theories and the southern European known variants of the words are always considered to be as of more ancient age, as if they were somehow immune to the vast cultural changes known to have happened over there. Totally unlike the Nordic part of the Europe, which has had relatively little known genetical or cultural change since the end of the last ice-age, and thus IMHO likely retains the most archaic worlds still in use in the whole Europe.

Very well said.

• Like 1

Friesch Woordenboek- Lexicon Frisicum (started by Halbertsma):

page 212 of the book, page 240 of the online pdf:

boike: dim.n. jongetje, knaapje. Vgl. (Wieringer) baike, kind. Kex. 429. (EN: little boy, lad)

page 244 of the book, page 272 of online pdf:

bûke (...): voc. jongetje, maatje (EN: little boy, mate, or matie (?))

https://archive.org/...rdenb01horngoog

In short: the Lexicon gives us words (boike & bûke) that come very close to the OLB "bukja".

Good find, makes sense.

Ên salt-âthe hêde al en bukja skaend, men Sêkrops

I am going to add parts of the bukja discussion to my e-book about Zwarte Piet. Because Zwarte Piet is an eternally young man who also happens to be identical with the English pooka / puca and as Robin Hood he and his men are also called bucks. The relationship with bukja is obvious.

However, what I am curious about here, being completely ignorant about Old Frisian, is the concept salt-âthe. I already concluded that this Sekrops is the Athenian king Cecrops. So I wonder whether this athe refers perchance to Athens? And ought salt to be translated simply as 'salt'? Is a salt-âthe not so much a soldier but rather an Athenian sea-faring sailor?

Please enlighten my ignorance.

I recall that someone here asserted that Athe(ns) means 'friends'. So salt-athe might mean 'salt water friend' = sailor?

Edited by Ell

I am going to add parts of the bukja discussion to my e-book about Zwarte Piet. Because Zwarte Piet is an eternally young man who also happens to be identical with the English pooka / puca and as Robin Hood he and his men are also called bucks. The relationship with bukja is obvious.

However, what I am curious about here, being completely ignorant about Old Frisian, is the concept salt-âthe. I already concluded that this Sekrops is the Athenian king Cecrops. So I wonder whether this athe refers perchance to Athens? And ought salt to be translated simply as 'salt'? Is a salt-âthe not so much a soldier but rather an Athenian sea-faring sailor?

Please enlighten my ignorance.

It has been discussed here before , i think the concensus was that it related to sailors of the frisians ie as in sailors

being known as "old salts " and athe possibly meaning "ethnic" ie of the same ancestry or common culture.

it may also refer to an old English compliment to someone that they "are a salt of the Earth " which means worthy ,

honest , trustworthy , and without airs and graces,as natural and as necessary as the salt of the earth.

with regards Abe's old problem with bedrum being too modern , was reading one of Bede's books this morning , it seems

Bede's name probably came from old English "bed" for prayer , hence the venerable Bede , and possibly the Mother

was attacked in her (bed)prayer (rum) space .

Edited by Passing Time
  • Like 1

with regards Abe's old problem with bedrum being too modern, was reading one of Bede's books this morning, it seems

Bede's name probably came from old English "bed" for prayer, hence the venerable Bede, and possibly the Mother was attacked in her (bed)prayer (rum) space.

I agree. In my opinion also bedrum doesn't have anything at all to do with a bed nor sleeping. It would be ridiculous for a leader in troubling times to go to bed. In fact the OLB does not say that those people went to bed / sleep. In my opinion the word is composed of bede (petition) and rum (room). I also had another idea about bedrum, but I have forgotten what it was.

In any case I once read that the early commentators made a lot of fun about such words as bedrum, being of the opinion that they were some kind of tongue in cheek jokes by the 'forger(s)', but I rather suspect that all such words were misunderstood by them; much like a USA English speaker may misunderstand British and Australian English speakers.

In my opinion she went to consult Frya by means of some kind of radio: the device with the glowing light that is mentioned somewhere in the OLB. Aeneas had such devices with him when he fled Troy - called lares and penates, which in my opinion - and conclusion - projected sound and holographic images; they are mentioned in all (including mine) translations of the sixth book (and also some other books) of the Aeneid.

I also found such a guiding 'stone' in South American folklore, mentioned by Zacharia Sitchin, but I could not find any confirming references for that tale. According to Sitchin he got it from a Spanish text, but I drew a blank there, despite giving it quite an effort. Maybe the Spanish text was not published on the Internet or maybe I simply could not find it. There is plenty about that 'green stone' on the Internet, but not the particular detail that Sitchin mentioned.

Edited by Ell

In any case I once read that the early commentators made a lot of fun about such words as bedrum, being of the opinion that they were some kind of tongue in cheek jokes by the 'forger(s)', but I rather suspect that all such words were misunderstood by them; much like a USA English speaker may misunderstand British and Australian English speakers.

Very possibly.... i worked for some years in London for an Australian company , a new Managing Director had come over from Australia and been here for about 6 months , one day he dashed into the typing pool , and asked his secretary to rush out to thenearest shops , and buy him some "Durex" as he needed it urgently !!!

The obliging secretary rushed to the local chemist , and duly purchased for him a pack of condoms , commonly known here as "Durex".......her embarassement was complete as soon as he explained to her that "Durex" was the common name in Australia for "Sellotape" which was what he wanted urgently !!

in mid-summer a similar occurence happened when he put round a "Health and Safety " memo that staff were no longer to wear their thongs at work , as a staff member had slipped and hurt themselves on the stairs..... whilst the typing pool were all wondering why the M.D. was concerning himself with what underwear they were wearing......he was actually concerned about the non suitability of foam beach slippers that the brits were wearing in the heat-wave , and that the aussies call thongs.........LOL

Edited by Passing Time
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"In the tower hangs the lamp. The walls of the tower are decorated with precious stones. On the south wall the Tex is inscribed. On the right side of this are the formulae, and on the other side the laws; the other things are found upon the three other sides." (Sandbach)

How do we envisage the lamp, or foddik, "hanging" in the tower, and the configuration of the tower itself and its six walls? Are these incriptions on the inside or the outside of the tower? What sort of lamp is it that can be hung? It sounds like a small or medium sized lantern.

I agree. In my opinion also bedrum doesn't have anything at all to do with a bed nor sleeping. It would be ridiculous for a leader in troubling times to go to bed. In fact the OLB does not say that those people went to bed / sleep. In my opinion the word is composed of bede (petition) and rum (room). I also had another idea about bedrum, but I have forgotten what it was.

If I remember correctly, in Finnish Boxström family saga the Nordic word for alphabet - alfabet - is said to come from word alfernas beten, meaning something like 'proper behaviour of the elves' or such. Here beten means to behave properly as per the social norms - social norms of the elves, that is. I couldn't find this from the 1996 book no matter how much I looked for it, but I'm quite sure this is not my imagination, but published somewhere amongst the various books and small booklets dealing with the saga in question.

In my opinion she went to consult Frya by means of some kind of radio: the device with the glowing light that is mentioned somewhere in the OLB.
It might be of interest to you, that in the Finnish Boxström saga the aesir do use crystal balls with a candle light for what I understand as a pseudo-astronomical work.
There is plenty about that 'green stone' on the Internet
Does this refer to the Emerald Tablet? Edited by FromFinland