Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 3]

Abramelin

Does this refer to the Emerald Tablet?

No.

Alfabet is also the Dutch spelling. Generally the word is considered to be composed of the names of the first two letters in the alphabet, so I would not attach too much value to alfernas beten: it appears to be a bit of folk etymology. And might 'beten' perchance be related to the English 'bit' instead? Little bits of spoken or written language?

"In the tower hangs the lamp. The walls of the tower are decorated with precious stones. On the south wall the Tex is inscribed. On the right side of this are the formulae, and on the other side the laws; the other things are found upon the three other sides." (Sandbach)

How do we envisage the lamp, or foddik, "hanging" in the tower, and the configuration of the tower itself and its six walls? Are these incriptions on the inside or the outside of the tower? What sort of lamp is it that can be hung? It sounds like a small or medium sized lantern.

The six sides apparently reflect the Jule wheel. No windows are mentioned, as I expect in a holographic projection room. The formulae may be directions on how to use the apparatus and on how to communicate with it, similar to how pilots communicate with an air traffic director.

What concerns me is the Tex wall being separate from the laws wall. Didn't we previously establish that the Tex was the law?

I also wonder about the walls themselves: were they stone walls or wooden walls? If stone, archaeological remains might be found. But I rather suspect / feel that the walls were made from wood.

No.

Alfabet is also the Dutch spelling. Generally the word is considered to be composed of the names of the first two letters in the alphabet, so I would not attach too much value to alfernas beten: it appears to be a bit of folk etymology. And might 'beten' perchance be related to the English 'bit' instead? Little bits of spoken or written language?

The six sides apparently reflect the Jule wheel. No windows are mentioned, as I expect in a holographic projection room. The formulae may be directions on how to use the apparatus and on how to communicate with it, similar to how pilots communicate with an air traffic director.

What concerns me is the Tex wall being separate from the laws wall. Didn't we previously establish that the Tex was the law?

I also wonder about the walls themselves: were they stone walls or wooden walls? If stone, archaeological remains might be found. But I rather suspect / feel that the walls were made from wood.

They are made of brick in Apollonia's description. Are the inscriptions on the outside or the inside? And how does the lamp "hang"? I'm not going to comment on speculations of advanced technology, though, as I don't think they are necessary within the context of the OLB.

They are made of brick in Apollonia's description. Are the inscriptions on the outside or the inside? And how does the lamp "hang"? I'm not going to comment on speculations of advanced technology, though, as I don't think they are necessary within the context of the OLB.

In my opinion and expectation the inscriptions are on the inside.

In my opinion and expectation the inscriptions are on the inside.

I tend to agree, since the lamp is also inside. The text is not clear though, at least in Sandbach's version.

I agree with the folk etymology. Interestingly it's a Nordic variant of the international theme. Wikipedia shares the Greco-Roman view, my bolding:

Plutarch, in Moralia, presents a discussion on why the letter alpha stands first in the alphabet. Ammonius asks Plutarch what he, being a Boeotian, has to say for Cadmus, the Phoenician who reputedly settled in Thebes and introduced the alphabet to Greece,
placing alpha first because it is the Phoenician
name for ox
— which, unlike Hesiod, the Phoenicians considered not the second or third, but the first of all necessities. "Nothing at all," Plutarch replied. He then added that he would rather be assisted by Lamprias, his own grandfather, than by Dionysus' grandfather, i.e. Cadmus. For Lamprias had said
that the first articulate sound made is "alpha", because it is very plain and simple
— the air coming off the mouth does not require any motion of the tongue —
and therefore this is the first sound that children make.

In the Boxström saga, it's the A B C D ..., so it's the second sound after A. They make alfernas beten, and the word alfer ('elves') is said to come from alla fer, or 'all cattle' ( in modern Swedish). It's represented as heathen folk faith in a good custodian spirit that takes care of the household and cattle, especially during the winter time. So it's more or less the same cattle etymology as the Phoenician ox etymology. Interestingly, the bi-lingual Boxström saga also claims that first human being Frei (or Sampo on Finnish) was able to speak primaeval Nordic language (of A B C D E F ...) naturally and genetically, and teached it to his sister Freia (or Aino in Finnish) at the age of seven years:

"The language of Sampo was based on the human's natural sounds, which are created at the brains of all human beings."
(Bock 1996, page 17, my translation.)

So, the Boxström saga in this respect has also the Plutarch's take included within it. It will be interesting to see what the Frisian take is on the matter. While it's common nowadays to think the North Europeans learned the current system from Latin of the Medieval Christians, there's evidence for a similar writing system being used in Europe at far more older times.

German bitte (and English please) might be connected to beten, as it's polite and socially conforming to say so.

Edited by FromFinland
  • Like 1

How do we envisage the lamp, or foddik, "hanging" in the tower, and the configuration of the tower itself and its six walls?

Not an exact match, but something a bit similar is found in the Boxström saga, where the aesir royals had a very special kind of stone tower. The first floor had five corners, second floor had six corners, third floor had seven corners and so on. I believe this refers to the inside corners and that the outside wall was apparently circular in this legend. Allegedly remnants of this tower architecture can be seen also in the towers of the later historical times, namely those of the Raseborg and Olavinlinna castles. This odd fractal-like architecture is claimed to be a superbly resilient structural form, so it would be interesting to get a real construction engineers opinion on it. One 'bell-tower' is detailed as covered in white chalk and one other as "golden", or covered by countless small gold sheets. All of these were allegedly demolished in 1050 A.D., followed by sinking of the construction stones to the nearby sea by the spring of 1051 A.D.

Edited by FromFinland

Not an exact match, but something a bit similar is found in the Boxström saga, where the aesir royals had a very special kind of stone tower. The first floor had five corners, second floor had six corners, third floor had seven corners and so on. I believe this refers to the inside corners and that the outside wall was apparently circular in this legend. Allegedly remnants of this tower architecture can be seen also in the towers of the later historical times, namely those of the Raseborg and Olavinlinna castles. This odd fractal-like architecture is claimed to be a superbly resilient structural form, so it would be interesting to get a real construction engineers opinion on it. One 'bell-tower' is detailed as covered in white chalk and one other as "golden", or covered by countless small gold sheets. All of these were allegedly demolished in 1050 A.D., followed by sinking of the construction stones to the nearby sea by the spring of 1051 A.D.

How about the lamp itself? The description in the OLB implies it is inside the tower, hidden. So not at all like a six-sided lighthouse, for example. But it seems to me that the lighthouse configuration would make a lot more sense, if the text supported it.

lg_pl770-newpointlighthouse.jpg

It has been discussed here before , i think the concensus was that it related to sailors of the frisians ie as in sailors

being known as "old salts " and athe possibly meaning "ethnic" ie of the same ancestry or common culture.

it may also refer to an old English compliment to someone that they "are a salt of the Earth " which means worthy ,

honest , trustworthy , and without airs and graces,as natural and as necessary as the salt of the earth.

For me the consensus goes as far as Salt-Athe carries the litteral meaning of Salt and Friend, and sounds as a version of "soldaat" (Dutch for soldier).

A rather strange consensus in modern etymology seems to be

that "salary" is considered to be coming from the permission to acquire salt as compensation for rendered services.

"originally salt-money, soldier's allowance for the purchase of salt" http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=salary

and "soldier" is considered to be coming from the gold coin used to pay soldiers

"one having pay, from Late Latin soldum, extended sense of accusative of Latin solidus, name of a Roman gold coin" http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=soldier

so lacking the connection between Sold and Salt? and maintaining this contradiction in meaning.

Imo OLB makes the connection in that sense. The sold (salary) was payed regularly and in fact was the salt (or buy permission), salt being very precious and often seen as one of the first general and practical payment method.

OLB mentions pretty much the salt-atha of the "bergflokum" (mountain people). If salt-atha could be interpreted as sailors, i would expect all salt-atha would be sailors and used only in that context. Another contradiction then is that we nowadays use the modern version Soldaat (soldier) mostly as ground forces, and have another word for the marine power.

Meaning if OLB salt-atha are meant to be interpreted as sailors (friends of the salty sea), OLB cuts the connection with the modern used soldaat or simply says: you got it all mixed up :-) I think on the contrary OLB sets things right what is lacking in the modern consensus: salt-atha are friends "because" of the salt (and imo not su much because they like the salt sea). Interesting point is still the "old salts" as mentionned. But could it be to interprete the word 'salt' there also as soldij (soldiers pay/salt)?

They are only friends and willing to fight/travel/do commerce (for the king/state/political power) because they are paid. Only so far went that loyality.

The modern salaryman is thus also a soldier, never expected it otherwise :-)

The proverb "braed aend salt dêlen" (to share bread and salt) is used quite a few times in OLB in context of sustaining (helping, sharing faith, connecting) one another on a practical level also.

• Like 1

For me the consensus goes as far as Salt-Athe carries the litteral meaning of Salt and Friend...

Athe could be translated as friend, but in my opinion allie (bondgenoot) is more accurate and fit every where it is used.

There is at least one example where ATHA and FRJUNDA are both mentioned, indicating that the words had different meanings.

page 26, point 7

TILTHJU WI ÁTHA ÀND FRJUNDA WINNA

in order for us to win allies and friends

It is also noteworthy that besides SALTATHA the term WÉRAR (defenders) is used. These people were not paid and seen as more honorable, since they did not fight for money, but for their land and their folk.

Edited by Othar
  • Like 2

Let me ask you this: when does Tyskland show up for the first time (in Scandinavia)?

And I am not surprized that TYSK can mean Theodisc and In Between (DU: tussen), just like TWISK can mean Theodisc and In Between.

Let's call it convergent linguistical evolution, lol.

Let me guess: Tyskland showed up in Sweden, Denmark and Norway....after the 12th century.

:yes:

How about the lamp itself? The description in the OLB implies it is inside the tower, hidden. So not at all like a six-sided lighthouse, for example. But it seems to me that the lighthouse configuration would make a lot more sense, if the text supported it.

lg_pl770-newpointlighthouse.jpg

I just had to post this:

SMS-20090919-0043-A3.jpg

It's an old water tower in Zoetermeer, The Netherlands.

And then look at the town's flag:

zoetermeer.jpg

"pompa blêdar".

Edited by Abramelin

Let me guess: Tyskland showed up in Sweden, Denmark and Norway....after the 12th century.

Not all that many documents from before that, are there?

And it may have been one of various spoken names before it became the main written name.

I just had to post this:

SMS-20090919-0043-A3.jpg

It's an old water tower in Zoetermeer, The Netherlands.

And then look at the town's flag:

zoetermeer.jpg

"pompa blêdar".

Thank you, that's very interesting.

• Like 1

In the same passage as where we find the word bukja, it says:

When Sêkrops saw that he could not storm our wall with his people, he then sent messengers to Ðyrhis [Tyre]. Afterwards there came three hundred ships full of soldiers from the wild mountain people unexpectedly sailing into our harbor, while we were fighting with all men upon the walls.

Sêkrops was an Egyptian priest. I have asked the question before in this forum: How could they know, before 1867, that Tyre was subject to Egypt around 1551 BC?

It was certainly Ahmose I who was the pharaoh in 1551 BC. This pharaoh’s reign has been considered to have begun in either 1570, 1560 or 1551 BC and ended in 1546, 1537 or 1527 BC, according to various sources.

It is from an ostracon (a piece of pottery) in the grave of Nefertari (Ahmose-Nefertari), the wife of Ahmose I, we know that the pharaoh conquered his way as far as to Kedem – a city supposed to have been situated near Byblos (Byblos is 100-120 kms north of Tyre). No pharaoh had made military campaigns that far north in the Levant before.

Nefertari’s tomb was discovered first in 1881.

So who are the people who were dis-placed at this time , the Hyksos , greek .Yksws ,and Yews . were the 300 boatloads of people displaced sea people from "Avaris" (greed) who his father , and older brother started to war against .

They seem to have been ancient kinfolk of those in Athens .

Edited by Passing Time

Page 206, line 1, about the Frya's Burgh at Texland, during the reign of king Askar, that is shortly before our year zero:

NACHTIS WRDON THA FÁMNA UT.ÉRE BURCH DRÍWEN

ÀND OGTIN.S KVN MÀN FON THÉRE BURCH ALLÉNA ÉNE GLANDERE HÁPE SJAN.

At night the maidens were driven out of the burgh

and in the morning only a glowing heap was left of it.

(literally: ...one could only see a glowing heap of the burgh.)

So at least the main burgh was made of wood (and other materials that burn or melt), even in the most recent of described (in OLB) times.

(Apollania's burgh in Ljudgárda was made of baked bricks.)

Edited by Othar

Page 206, line 1, about the Frya's Burgh at Texland, during the reign of king Askar, that is shortly before our year zero:

NACHTIS WRDON THA FÁMNA UT.ÉRE BURCH DRÍWEN

ÀND OGTIN.S KVN MÀN FON THÉRE BURCH ALLÉNA ÉNE GLANDERE HÁPE SJAN.

At night the maidens were driven out of the burgh

and in the morning only a glowing heap was left of it.

(literally: ...one could only see a glowing heap of the burgh.)

So at least the main burgh was made of wood (and other materials that burn or melt), even in the most recent of described (in OLB) times.

Either completely or partly. For example the ground floor might be made of baked bricks and higher floors of wood; much like old-fashioned Dutch windmills.

The walls could be made of brick and a fire strong enough might still leave it as a glowing heap. Presumably, however, we should expect at least some wood in the internal structure, such as floors, stairs and so on. Assuming it had any, that is.

All right.

Anyway, the argument that a lack of archaeological remains would disprove OLB's authenticity is invalid.

As I have pointed out before, there are historical sources of there having been (in the 13th century) a castle of the Dutch counts in the Westfrisian village where I grew up, yet no remains of it have ever been found (so far). Oral tradition is (as far as I remember), that the villagers had hated it so much, that they took it apart to the last stone.

But as for the 'Fryan' burghs, other explanations are also possible.

The evidence for the former existence of Fryasburch is in the road layout at Den Burg (aerial view below). Any bricks or other rubble may lie under centuries of later building, and be inaccessible. It is interesting, however, how Frisian design might have changed and evolved over the milliennia, from the open stone circles of the Neolithic, to the later closed structures of the Bronze and Iron Ages, built of less durable material such as brick or wood.

Luchtfoto_van_de_kern_van_Den_Burg_vanuit_het_noordwesten_-_Burg,_Den_(Texel)_-_20045787_-_RCE.jpg

Edited by Tony S.

Anyway, the argument that a lack of archaeological remains would disprove OLB's authenticity is invalid.

Indeed. In any case the OLB people lived elsewhere.