Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 3]

Abramelin

So I want to talk about atland. I don't think atland was doggerland. I believe atland was doggerland, Britain, and islands in the Atlantic ocean. Why because the findings of the ancient forests of doggerland. This is a quote from an article.

"The North Sea has eroded the shore of a Northumberland beach to reveal the remnants of an ancient forest dating back 7,000 years. Archaeologists believe the preserved tree stumps and felled tree trunks lining the shoreline. Forests would have covered the area once known as 'Doggerland' - an area of land stretching between England and Europe which existed before the North Sea was formed by glacial melt water and geological movement." 

So this puts doggerland closure to 2200 BCE as a connecting land mass vs an island. Now the account of the old country tells us that Twiskland was a forest that separated Finda's people from Frya's. I also want to submit the many rivers of Britain which are dry river beds today to show that the rest of Europe was most likely uninhabited by FRYA's people. So FRYA's people inhabited northern Europe, doggerland, Britain, and islands in the Atlantic. Also, the spread of woodhenges (Citadels) throughout the rest of Europe didnt occur until after 2200 BCE.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3593219/North-sea-reveals-7-000-year-old-human-footprints-ancient-forest-Woodland-stretched-Denmark-covered-ocean.html

http://www.archaeological-sites.co.uk/2016/08/langdons-prehistoric-map-series-by.html?m=1

On 06/03/2018 at 11:39 PM, americanaryan said:

So I want to talk about atland. I don't think atland was doggerland. I believe atland was doggerland, Britain, and islands in the Atlantic ocean. Why because the findings of the ancient forests of doggerland. This is a quote from an article.

"The North Sea has eroded the shore of a Northumberland beach to reveal the remnants of an ancient forest dating back 7,000 years. Archaeologists believe the preserved tree stumps and felled tree trunks lining the shoreline. Forests would have covered the area once known as 'Doggerland' - an area of land stretching between England and Europe which existed before the North Sea was formed by glacial melt water and geological movement." 

So this puts doggerland closure to 2200 BCE as a connecting land mass vs an island. Now the account of the old country tells us that Twiskland was a forest that separated Finda's people from Frya's. I also want to submit the many rivers of Britain which are dry river beds today to show that the rest of Europe was most likely uninhabited by FRYA's people. So FRYA's people inhabited northern Europe, doggerland, Britain, and islands in the Atlantic. Also, the spread of woodhenges (Citadels) throughout the rest of Europe didnt occur until after 2200 BCE.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3593219/North-sea-reveals-7-000-year-old-human-footprints-ancient-forest-Woodland-stretched-Denmark-covered-ocean.html

http://www.archaeological-sites.co.uk/2016/08/langdons-prehistoric-map-series-by.html?m=1

In early times almost all the Finns lived together in their native land, which was called Aldland, and is now submerged. They were thus far away, and we had no wars. When they were driven hitherwards, and appeared as robbers, then arose the necessity of defending ourselves, and we had armies, kings, and wars.

http://oeralinda.webs.com/oera-linda-book#8

Aldland, called by the seafaring people, Atland, disappeared, and the wild waves rose so high over hill and dale that everything was buried in the sea. Many people were swallowed up by the earth, and others who had escaped the fire perished in the water.
It was not only in Finda’s land that the earth vomited fire, but also in Twiskland (Germany).

http://oeralinda.webs.com/oera-linda-book#22

These two passages make it clear that Atland/Aldland was the homeland of the people of Finda, and must therefore have been in the east (whence came the Finns). The 17th century scholar Olaus Rudbeck, for example, placed Atland (using that exact name) in Sweden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaus_Rudbeck

However, this is apparently contradicted by the following.

When they were ready they began to disagree. Teunis wished to sail through the straits to the Mediterranean Sea, and enter the service of the rich Egyptian king, as he had done before, but Inka said he had had enough of all those Finda’s people. Inka thought that perchance some high-lying part of Atland might remain as an island, where he and his people might live in peace.

http://oeralinda.webs.com/oera-linda-book#24

We assume that Inka sailed west, though where he went isn't known (the similarity of his name to that of the Incas in South America might be just a coincidence). He may, for all we know, have sailed back up to Northern Europe and then east into the Baltic. But Britain cannot have been considered to have been part of Atland, because if it was, the above passage would make no sense.

None of this is to deny the crucial importance of Doggerland. Perhaps Doggerland was Flyland?

Exalted Frya! When she had thus spoken the earth shook like the sea of Wr-alda. The ground of Flyland sank beneath her feet, the air was dimmed by tears, and when they looked for their mother she was already risen to her watching star; then at length thunder burst from the clouds, and the lightning wrote upon the firmament “Watch!”

http://oeralinda.webs.com/oera-linda-book#4

Flyland was clearly a much greater landmass than the current small island of Vlieland, and may have included the area now known as Doggerland, and/or other parts of the North Sea.

I must admit, however, that it does indeed seem odd that the authors of the OLB should keep referring to Atland, and to make its submergence the basis of their chronology, if it was the homeland of the Finns. Perhaps more is going on here than is apparent.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony S. said:

We assume that Inka sailed west, though where he went isn't known (the similarity of his name to that of the Incas in South America might be just a coincidence).

That's exactly what it is. There is no connection or contact between my people and Europeans prior to Leif Erikson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mb1.jpg

The Firepit, Moseley Bog

I am very happy to announce the following.

Sacred Fire and Feast, The Firepit, Moseley Bog, Birmingham, England. Every Frya's Day (Friday), 5pm - 8pm.

Led by our priestesses, this is an open event, and all Frya's Folk of good heart are welcome. Bring food and drink to share.

mb2.gif

Location of the Firepit in Joy's Wood, Moseley Bog

The Firepit is located in the Performance Area, Joy's Wood, near the Yardley Wood Road entrance of Moseley Bog. I have maked it on the above map with a rotating jol wheel. This is one of the few public spaces in Birmingham set aside for the lighting of fires.

Among many other features, Moseley Bog is the site of Bronze Age burnt mounds, labelled as "3" on the above map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moseley_Bog

mb3.png

Location of Moseley Bog in Birmingham, England

Moseley Bog is part of a wider ancient landscape that includes the historic Sarehole Mill, inspiration for J.R.R. Tolkien who lived nearby as a child, as he acknowledged in his Foreword to the 1966 edition of The Lord of the Rings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarehole_Mill

• Like 1

When i started, my personal study of old Norse mythology I realized that gender is used as a metaphor. Not just gender, but everything in the mythology is analogies. I dont thing this is something the Viking skalds (poets) invented. I think it was tradition, and as Tacitus writes 98 bc. after my memory; -The Germans memorize their law and their history-. The metaphors and symbols are most likely as old as their law and history and even as old, as the Origin of Orea Linda book, or older. Like Sophia represents wisdom, the old Norse "Snotr" means wise and woman. But I had problem  finding someone who wrote about it, maybe it is just me who think that gender is used as metaphor I wondered.

Then I read Maria Kvilhaug book "The seed of Yggdrasil", and she says the same as I was thinking;

-Men represent the outward face of the tribe, the protectors and the mediators, and whereas women would represent the core of the tribe, the providers and the counsellors. To outsiders, the men of a tribe would ideally show themselves before allowing any close encounters with the inner circle of women and children. This societal structure is reflected in the use of metaphors in poetry. The poetry thus traditionally employs male characters to describe the obvious, known, seen side of reality, that which directly confronts, and in the case of other people (giants, for example) the male represents the first obstacle, the guardian. The female characters are "behind the scenes", as subtle, mysterious powers, the unseen. They often represent that which is sought inside once the male obstacle is gone. -

She also says that Odin represent that which seeks to uncover hidden knowledge, within human beings and cosmos at large - the known seeking the unknown. Odins wife Frigg is said to know all fate ( My note: I would rather say destiny, as a goal, instead of an uncertain fate) but speaks not, thus being in fact the unknown treasure, the hidden knowledge we sought. We have to grasp that gender has a metaphorical role in itself in Old Norse poetry, it is crucial to our understanding.-

My own explanation of gender as metaphor is a little more dumb headed then Maria Kvilhaugs explanation. But here it is. The penis is outside, and the vagina is inside. And these two can even make babies, sons and daughters. Which is also metaphors like Balder, son of Frigg and Odin, and his death is of course a metaphor.

Gender as metaphors can probably be seen in the three females Frya, Finda and Lyda. As I see it.

Edited by Skirnum

• 2 weeks later...

The modern Frisian word for 'world' is 'wrald'. In the OLB, 'wralda' (or 'wr.alda') is sometimes used to mean 'world' (rather than what most people would call 'God').

If, before Christianity, there was a religion in which the supreme, oldest 'Spirit' was associated with the word 'world', it would make sense that the Bible contained some propaganda against it.

Love not this world, neither the things that are in this world. If any man love this world, the love of the Father is not in him. (1 John 2:15)

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the amity of the world is the enmity of God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world, maketh himself the enemy of God. (James 4:4)

This could be it.

Also interesting is that 'world' in the oldest Dutch texts often referred to 'eternity' or very long cycle of time (for example: the six worlds before the birth of Christ).
There is much yet to be discovered here.

• 3 weeks later...

Since Münster has been in the news, for all the wrong reasons, perhaps it's an appropriate time to ask why Ottema, in his notes, identified it so clearly as the Manna-gârda-forda (and variants) in the OLB. The names are not similar, and indeed "Münster" must be derived from the same source as the English minster, found in so many place-names, from the Latin for monastery. Do we have any other evidence that Münster was Manna-gârda-forda?

Not that I'm disputing it, because it certainly makes sense geographically:

Ther Saxman Storo, Sytjas man, grêvetman ovir-a hâga fenna ænd walda. Njvgun wâra is-er to hêrtoga, thæt is to hyrman, kêren. Tha burga Bvda ænd Manna-gârda-forda send vnder sin hod.

"The Saxman Storo, Sytia’s husband; Grevetman over the Hoogefennen and Wouden. Nine times he was chosen as duke or heerman (commander). The towns Buda and Manna-garda-forda are under his care." (Sandbach)

So where are Bvda? Could it have been Wewelsburg, which is part of a larger town now called Büren (formerly Buranon), the only settlement in the region with a name even remotely similar to Bvda?

As always, more work needs to be done.

On 9.3.2018 at 1:02 PM, Tony S. said:

I must admit, however, that it does indeed seem odd that the authors of the OLB should keep referring to Atland, and to make its submergence the basis of their chronology, if it was the homeland of the Finns. Perhaps more is going on here than is apparent.

What if it just means 'old land'? The lands that used to be? Finns homeland could have been Lemuria.

2 hours ago, Priscus Maevius said:

What if it just means 'old land'? The lands that used to be? Finns homeland could have been Lemuria.

Aldland means "old land" but Atland presumably means something else, possibly "oat land". Jurgen Spanuth, in his Atlantis of the North (English edition, 1976), said:

"In the Eddas the northlands are called Atalland (Thule 23.74) and the sea Atle's path (20.320)... the name Atal or Atle is that of a sea king... Atland, Adalland, Oatland occur frequently in old records as names for districts in various countries around the North Sea."

Spanuth makes no mention of the OLB in Atlantis of the North, yet here he mentions names that have very close resonances with it. In particular Atal, or Atle, is simply another form of the name Adel, which appears very frequently in the OLB (along with its feminine form, Adela). Adel was the name of four Frisian kings, and we can assume it was a popular name among the Frisians, perhaps recalling a legendary sea king of old. It is also, incidentally, very similar to Atlas, described by Plato as the first king of Atlantis.

In the OLB the term Aldland is used as a synonym for Atland, but is is always the case?

In êra tyda hêmadon Findas folk mêst algadur invr hjara moders bærta-lând, mit nôma ald-lând that nw vnder-ne sê lêith

"In early times almost all the Finns lived together in their native land, which was called Aldland, and is now submerged." (Sandbach)

Is the ald-lând here translated as Aldland the same as the âldland similarly translated elsewhere? Or, even if linguistically there is no singnificant difference, is there nevertheless, by context, a distinction? Could the term Aldland simply mean "homeland"? Usually, in the OLB, where it appears without qualification, it must refer to Atland, but in the above passage, could it refer instead to the homeland of the Finns, which was therefore elsewhere? So Atland was indeed, after all, the homeland of the Frisians?

More on "oat land".

The origin of the English word "oat" is unknown, and the only other language in which is occurs is Frisian, with the same spelling. All other Germanic languages have a different word, cognate with the Dutch haver (as in haversack, a Dutch loan word). "Oat" is attested in Middle English as ote and Old English as ate (note the change in the initial vowel).

Since Atland was a large and fertile, i.e. grain producing, area, the name ate-land, or oat-land, seems highly appropriate. Although in modern times, as Johnson quipped, oats are generally fed to horses (except in Scotland, where they are fed to people), in olden times they were certainly a staple of human diet.

Any etymological connection with "oath", though an attractive possibility, seems ruled out by the fact that "oath" in Old English was , which is quite different to ate.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/oat

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/oat

Oath is still 'ed' in Norwegian. Oat is 'havre', but I don't know the origin of it. In French it means harbor, so possibly because they collected it at the harbor (full word is havremel). Norway is not a country rich in agriculture, so I reckon there was some trading for food items.

One of the strangest parts about OLB for me is that I find myself understanding a lot of text, even though I consciously only know a few words. I find it easier to read even than German which I am currently attempting to learn. That it is a root language definitely strikes me as very likely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OD, WORD ÀND WRALDA

The world started with a word. In Swedish ‘word’ is ‘ord’, but is pronounced ‘ood’, perhaps ord comes from the OLB word OD?

OD – possible outgrowths (Swedish words used as baseline):

ord*: woord (D), Wort (G), word (E)

orden: orde (D), Orden (G), order (E) [ex. Knights or Templars order]

order**: the same (D, G, E); compare Befehl in German and command in English

ordna: orden (D), ordnen (G)

ordning: orde (D), Ordnung (G), order (E)

*Summary of meanings: a point; a place of origin; a point or edge of a weapon; a phallus; a word

**in Afrikaans and other Nordic languages that I am aware of, a -er suffix usually forms a noun out of a verb [ex. play-er, creat-er, keep-er]. Thus, ord-er could mean: someone who commands words or speech.

Related? : Odin – the sun, the ring, everything..

SÁ MOTON HJA TO GOD.IS TÁLE WITHER KÉRA.

LÉRATH HJA GOD.IS TÁLE

SÁ SKILUN THA WORDA FRÍ.SA ÀND RJUCHT.HÁ TO HJARA INKVMA.

IN HJARA BRÉIN SKILET THAN BIJINA TO GLIMMANDE ÀND TO GLORANDE

TILTHIU ELLA TO.NE LOGHA WARTH.

THISSA LOGHA SKIL ALLE BALDA FORSTA VRTÉRA

ÀND ALLE SKIN.FRÁNA ÀND SMÛGRIGA PRESTERA.

Denn das Wort Gottes ist lebendig und kräftig und schärfer denn kein zweischneidig Schwert, und dringt durch, bis daß es scheidet Seele und Geist, auch Mark und Bein, und ist ein Richter der Gedanken und Sinne des Herzens. Und keine Kreatur ist vor ihm unsichtbar, es ist aber alles bloß und entdeckt vor seinen Augen. Von dem reden wir. (Plagiarism)

On 11-4-2018 at 6:51 PM, Tony S. said:

Aldland means "old land" but Atland presumably means something else, possibly "oat land". Jurgen Spanuth, in his Atlantis of the North (English edition, 1976), said:

In the OLB the term Aldland is used as a synonym for Atland, but is is always the case?

In êra tyda hêmadon Findas folk mêst algadur invr hjara moders bærta-lând, mit nôma ald-lând that nw vnder-ne sê lêith

"In early times almost all the Finns lived together in their native land, which was called Aldland, and is now submerged." (Sandbach)

Is the ald-lând here translated as Aldland the same as the âldland similarly translated elsewhere? Or, even if linguistically there is no singnificant difference, is there nevertheless, by context, a distinction? Could the term Aldland simply mean "homeland"? Usually, in the OLB, where it appears without qualification, it must refer to Atland, but in the above passage, could it refer instead to the homeland of the Finns, which was therefore elsewhere? So Atland was indeed, after all, the homeland of the Frisians?

I think it is like OLB mentions, Atland is a shortened version of Aldland. 

And it is a general noun for 'schorren', typically by the shores or inland marshes: Oudland

Indeed, any kind of a former land.

Jon, Jôn, Jhon, Jan, are all the same name, though the pronunciation varies, as the seamen like to shorten everything to be able to make it easier to call.

Aldland, called by the seafaring people, Atland, disappeared, and the wild waves rose so high over hill and dale that everything was buried in the sea. Many people were swallowed up by the earth, and others who had escaped the fire perished in the water.

It was not only in Finda’s land that the earth vomited fire, but also in Twiskland (Germany).

In êra tyda hêmadon Findas folk mêst algadur invr hjara moders bærta-lând, mit nôma ald-lând that nw vnder-ne sê lêith; hja wêron thus fêr-of, thêrvmbe nêdon wi âk nên orloch, tha hja vrdrêven send ænd hêinda kêmon to râwane,

In early times almost all the Finns (must be FINDAS ?) lived together in their native land, which was (called Aldland) a marshy land, and is now submerged. They were thus far away, and we had no wars. When they were driven hitherwards, and appeared as robbers.

So in fact I think the sinking of ald-land was a general event, where all the low lying land in a big deal of Europe flooded while reshaping landmasses.  Hence the pivotal point in history, 'the sinking of aldland'.  Now, Findas were living far from Fryasland.  Fryasland described from Weser till Sincfal (sic! Zink-val: Zwin, gezonken land, sunken land) and all the inland between with colonies till Cadiz and stretching inland from Denmark over Lorraine (scrabble the word :-) to Marseille. Finda must then have been living in a rather concentrated area, quite far off but close and big enough when submerged to start a movement to be felt quite fast at the borders of Fryasland.

This must be imo Black and Caspian Sea.

When these seas took form in a quite sudden way: all the people living there dispersed west-north-south-east, coming into Fryasland from the north-east and mediterrean sea. I think the story of Finda (Wends->roaming) as a mixed race is echoed in the Fenician (Venetian) history.  How bizar years between like the Phoenicians the Venetians ended up in Tyre! Let alone the pronounciation gives away a lot.  Findas found their way in the marshes and lagoons of the Veneto region too.

So Finda's aldland is only a 'concentrated' inland subset of all the other sunken aldland (mostly shores) in Europe.

Edited by Van Gorp
  • Like 1

More on the usage of the word 'oudland'.

Oudlandpolder

Translated:

An oldland polder is a polder where the influence of the sea has been 'switched off' for a long time by the construction of dams or small defensive sea defenses.

Oldland polders usually arose before the 13th century, and they were preceded, as a whole, by the construction of smaller embankments.

Oldland polders often form a lower core in a polder area around which newland polders were built. The latter could last longer and are therefore higher. Oldland polders could originate from a sand or mud slab that, after the construction of dykes or dams, was either an island (see the Island of Cadzand), or a new 'shell' as well as accretion or land reclamation on the original mainland.

Oudland faces newland, where the influence of the sea was only excluded in more recent times.

In Flanders we find Oudland, among others, between the Zydelinge and the Gentele, in Zeeland around Cadzand, such as the Oudelandse Polder, and in the vicinity of Hulst.

New lands can be found in the hinterland or hinterland of the Zwin (Knokke-Heist) or in the Sloe area between Walcheren and Zuid-Beveland.

So the word old-land seem to point to the fact that the influence of the sea (water) was excluded in older times allready.

Including the fact that by calling the land old-land, one reminds of the fact that the land was previously allready subject to flooding and needed to be watched for in order not to get the natural or manmade dams,dikes, channels, creeks get broken or overloaded.  Hence the need for watch-towers?

• Like 2

Thanks Tony,

Just saw the end of Wiki page for Saeftinghe which i thought also good to mention.

Translation below:

Legend:

There is a popular legend about the origin of this area. The villagers of Saeftinghe would have been vain and haughty, which is a major sin. One day a fisherman catched a mermaid and the husband of the mermaid wanted his wife back. The fisherman refused, the mermaids husband threatened: The land of Saefthinghe will perish, only his towers will continue to exist (also: Namen, Namen will perish, alone the tower will remain, Namen, that village disappeared in the waves). Sometimes people see white forms in the fog in the field. That would be the spirits of drowned people who are still wandering around here.

• Like 1

On 11-4-2018 at 6:51 PM, Tony S. said:

Good questions.

New video, providing a closer look at four words from the Oera Linda-book: WR.ALDA, JRTHA, DÉNE (-MARKA) and KRÉKA (LANDA).

• Like 3

Feet are mentioned numerous times in the OLB as units of measurement, and it would be useful, especially for the investigation of ancient sites, if we could work out exactly how long the Frisian foot was. Our starting point must be the modern English foot (0.3048 metres), but it would be a mistake to assume that the English foot descends directly from ancient times unchanged. In fact, the Composition of Yards and Perches Act, 1300, reduced the length of the foot to 10/11 of its former value. So the length of the Anglo-Saxon foot was 11/10 of the modern English foot.

But was this Anglo-Saxon foot (0.33528 metres) the same as the Frisian foot? The archaeologist Alexander Thom is famous for his surveys of thousands of megalithic sites in Europe and the British Isles, which enabled him to determine that their builders employed two units of measurement, which he called the Megalithic Yard (about 0.83 metres) and the Megalithic Rod (about 2.075 metres). The Megalithic Rod comprises 2½ Megalithic Yards. Unnoticed by Thom, however, is the fact that if we further subdivide the Megalithic Yard by the same figure, 2½, we get a very close approximation (0.332 metres) to the Anglo-Saxon foot. Since Thom’s figures were necessarily approximations, the less than a third of a centimetre difference is well within his acceptable tolerance range.

Given that the Megalithic Yard and Megalithic Rod were used by the megalith builders, who on the evidence of the OLB were actually the Frisians, it appears that the Anglo-Saxon foot was indeed the Frisian foot. The Megalithic Yard is also very close to the Indian gaz, a unit of measurement originating in the Punjab, where the Frisians settled.

Finally, it is interesting, and perhaps slightly ironic, to note that 3 Anglo-Saxon feet, that is, an Anglo-Saxon yard (not to be confused with the Megalithic Yard), is almost exactly the same length as a metre (1.00584 metres, to be precise).

Avebury-inner-ABC.jpg

Avebury, Wiltshire, England, is the largest known stone circle in the world. It is 400 Megalithic Yards (1000 Anglo-Saxon feet) in diameter.

FÁMKES ÀND GODE HROP

Possible etymologies for ‘fame’ and ‘fairy’

FÁMKES, which is the diminutive of FÁMNA made me think of Dutch/Afrikaans ‘feetjies’. This should read ‘feekies’ but is still spelled with a –tjie due to inaccurate phonetical rules.

The letters/sounds A and E seem to get mixed up a lot. With the loss of M and the crossing of A and E, FÁM could be ‘feem’ with loss of the ‘M’ ==> fee

[132/28-30]

HWERTH THÉR EN BERN EBERN

SÁ KVMATH THA SIBBA ET SÉMNE ÀND BIDDATH AN FRYA

THÀT HJU HJARA FÁMKES MÉI KVMA LÉTA THAT BERN TO SÉENANDE.

The English fairy derives from Old French form faierie, a derivation from faie (from Vulgar Latin fata) with the abstract noun suffix -erie. In Old French romance, a faie or fee was a woman skilled in magic, and who knew the power and virtue of words, of stones, and of herbs. (Wiki)

Compare:

[108/18-23]

THI SKRÍWER MOT THA FÁMKES LÉRA. LÉSA. SKRÍVA ÀND RÉKENJA.

THA GRÍSA JEFTHA GRÉVA MOTON LÉRA HJAM. RJUCHT ÀND PLICHT.

SÉDKUNDA KRÛDKUNDA HÉLKUNDA. SKÉDNESA TELLINGA ÀND SANGA

BIJUNKA ALLERLÉJA THINGA THÉR HJAM NÉDLIK SEND VMBE RÉD TO JÉVANE.

Also related could be the ‘goddes’ Fama:

In Greek mythology, Pheme (/ˈfeɪmeɪ/ FAY-may; Greek: Φήμη, Roman equivalent: Fama), also known as Ossa, was the personification of fame and renown, her favour being notability, her wrath being scandalous rumors. (Wiki)

Met name de positieve kant van de godin, namelijk ervoor zorg te dragen dat helden in de herinnering voor eeuwig zouden voortleven, bleef in de latere literatuur en spraakgebruik bewaard, in de vorm van woorden als faam en fameus. (Wiki)

Compare the task of the maidens received from Frya to erase peoples names from ‘the book’:

[012/02]

3. J HÀWED SJAN HO RING IK HELPE LÉNDE.

DVA AL ÉN MITH JO NÉSTON.

MEN NE TOF NAVT TIL MÀN

JO BÉDEN HETH.

THA LYDANDE SKOLDE JO FLOKA

MIN FÁMNA SKOLDUN JVWA NÁMA UFFÁGA UT.ÀT BOK

ÀND IK SKOLDE JO LIK VNBIKÀNNADE OFWISA MOTA.

Mainstream etymology concludes Latin origin etc.:

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/fee

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/faam

~

Conclusion: One’s fame or reputation in society and later history could have been synonomous with the opinion that the burgmaidens had of one. The role of the burgmaidens may have been:

• (a)     superstitionised in the Greek colony and brought back by the remigrants,
  • (b)     been influenced by the Finns, or
  • (c)     simply acquired a supernatural caracter due to the general decline of Fryan Civilisation, wich would include (a) and (b)

[If this was previously discussed or commonly known please ignore]

• Like 2

I had not thought of a relation to 'fee', but 'fame' and 'pheme' seem clearly related.

http://fryskednis.blogspot.nl/2012/06/pheme-famous-fam.html

[154/05]
FON ALLE GRÉVA THÉR BIFÁRA HIM WÉRON. N.AS THÉR NIMMAN SÁ BIFÁMED LIK FRISO WÉST.
[Ottema and Sandbach p. 209]
Van alle Graven, die voor hem waren, was er niemand zoo befaamd als Friso geweest.
Of all the counts that preceded him there was none so renowned [famous] as Friso.

Good to see you study the original text!

Dresden_Fama.JPG