Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 3]

Abramelin

Sorry, I was a bit bored and repeating myself, deleted post but I will say nice job Jan on your efforts with the OLB book you are creating.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

Page one of my new English Oera Linda translation (experimental phase). I have decided not to stick to the original wording, but make it a more easy read, with possibility of comparing to transliteration and original manuscript. Let me know what you think.

OLBnummeruitleg.jpg

OLB001EN.jpg

Love the idea JO , only comment is it is so small , i even have trouble reading it with my glasses on.....sorry !

Galileans. Well done! (I had concluded the same some months ago. And I could have concluded the same fifteen years ago, but it took some time and other discoveries before the dime dropped.) There is no connection whatsoever with the Franks.

It was Emperor Julian that was the first to decree "from this time on all Christians shall be designated Galileans "

dont agree that there is no connection with the Franks however .

Hi Puzzler

thanks, I always have an interest in this discussion. i don't participate much because I follow to learn so my knowledge is quite limited so stay silent for the most part. When I ponder on this I generally allow some consideration for the use of words,how and who expresses them as well as what is the intent of the recording of these words in written form. In my lifetime I have seen how the use of words have changed in meaning so how they are perceived several hundred to in excess of thousands of years to me seems like room for a lot of interpretation.

To make a long story short I've known a couple women that referred to having met the father of their child a happy coincidence, but we were hippies and going to love ins :innocent::whistle:

jmccr8

First 7 pages, translation only (revised):

Okke, my son,

These books must be treasured with life and soul. They contain the history of our folk and ancestors. Last year I saved them from the flood, with you and your mother. But they had become wet and started to fall apart. To preserve them, I copied them on imported paper. When you inherit them, you must also make a copy. Your children too, so that they will never get lost.

Written in Liuwert, in the three-thousand, four-hundred, nine and fortieth year [3449], after Atland sank. That is in Kersten counting, the twelve-hundred, six and fiftieth year [1256].

Hidde, surnamed Oera Linda. Wake!

~

Dear descendants,

For our dear ancestors' sake, and for our dear freedom's sake, a thousand times I beg you to never ever let the eyes of a monk go over these writings. They speak sweet words, but unnoticed they meddle with all that concerns us Fryas. They collaborate with foreign kings, who pay them well. These know that we are their greatest enemies, because we dare speak about freedom, justice and royal obligations. Therefore they want all traces of our ancestors and what is left of our traditions to be destroyed. Oh dear! I have visited their palace. If Wralda allows it, and if we do not strengthen ourselves, they will exterminate us all.

Written in Liudwerd, year eight-hundred and three [803] in Kersten count.

Liko, surnamed Ovira Linda.

~

The Book of Adela Followers

Thirty years after the folkmother was killed by the supreme magus, things were bad [ca. 559 BCE]. All states on the other side of the Werser had turned away from us, and had come under the power of the magus, who threatened to take over all our land. To avoid that evil, a meeting was arranged of all who were held in good repute by the ladies. But after more than three days and nights the whole council was confused and had made no progress. At last Adela stood up and spoke:

"As you know, I have been burglady for three years. I was chosen to become mother, which I refused because I preferred to marry Apol. But what you don't know, is that I have studied all that has happened, just like a true folkmother would have done. I have traveled around much, observing the events. This way many things became clear to me that others don't know. You said yesterday that our siblings on the other side of the Werser have been weak and cowardly. But I can tell you that the magus didn't conquer a single district by force of weapon, but merely by deceitful intrigues and even more because the generals and noblemen were greedy.

Frya taught us not to tolerate unfree people amongst us, but what have they done? They followed our enemy, for in stead of killing or setting free their prisoners, they ignored Frya's advise and used them as slaves. By doing so, they lost Frya's protection. They took the freedom of another and lost their own as a result. You knew this already, but I will tell you how they gradually sank that deep. Our Frya children grew up with the Finn children. They sometimes played joyfully together, outside or even cuddly at the hearth. There they eagerly listened to degenerate Finns' sagas, because they were revealing and new. That's how they lost their Frya identity, despite their parents' influence.

When the children grew up, and saw that the Finn children could not handle weapons and only had to work, they got a dislike for work and became very haughty. Chieftains and their best sons laid down with loose Finn girls. Their own daughters, confused by this bad example, got themselves impregnated by the best looking Finn boys, mocking their vile parents. When the magus comprehended this, he selected the best looking of his Finns and Magyars and promised them mountains of gold if they would be accepted by our people and then spread his doctrine. But his people went further. Children were kidnapped, taken to the Upsalands and when they had been corrupted into his ways, they were sent back.

When these slavish people had learnt our language, they convinced the generals and nobles, to submit to the magus, so their sons could succeed them without election by the folk. Those who had gained a frontpart to their house for good deeds, were promised a backpart on behalf of the magus. Who had gained a front- and backpart already, was promised a roundpart and who had a roundpart, a whole estate. If the nobles were still loyal Fryas, the slavish people changed course and aimed at the more degenerated sons.

Yesterday, some of you suggested to mobilise to force the eastern states back to their customs, but in my humble opinion, that would fail miserably. Imagine, our cattle had been plagued by a serious lung disease, which was still raging badly there. Would you risk mixing your healthy animals with their sick ones? Surely not! As we all must agree and confirm, that this would turn into a disaster, who then would be so reckless as to dare send his children into an utterly depraved folk?

If you would ask me, I would advise you to, before anything else, elect a new folkmother. I am aware that this is problematic, because from the thirteen burgladies that are left, no less than eight want the honor. But I would ignore that. Tuntia, lady of the burg Medeasblik, never aspired it. But she is very wise and clairvoyant, and as loyal to her folk and our ways, as all others combined.

I would also recommend that you go to the burgs and copy all laws, Frya's Tex and all histories. Yes, all you can find on the walls, so nothing gets lost if the burgs would be destroyed.

Regulations are that the mother and every burglady shall have twenty-one full-grown and seven lady apprentices, besides helpers and messengers. I would add to that as many worthy daughters as the burgs can house, to study. Because I speak from the heart, and time will prove me right: If you want your children to remain true Fryas, not to be conquered by intrigues or weapons, then make sure your daughters become real Frya women.

Teach the children how great our lands once were, how great our ancestors were, how great we still are, compared to others. Tell them of the heroes, their heroic deeds and of distant sea voyages. These tales must be told at the hearth, outdoors or anywhere, in times of joy or tears. To best reach brain and heart though, the teachings must stream into them through the lips of your wives and daughters."

Adela's advise was followed up.

~

Names of the reeves who directed this book's composition:

- Apol, Adela's man, was three times seaking, currently reeve of Eastfleeland and the Lindawards. He guards the burgs Liudgarda, Lindahem and Stavia.

- Storo the Saxman, Sytia's man, reeve of the High Fens and Woods, chosen as general nine times. He guards the burgs Buda and Mannagardaforda.

- Abelo, Jaltia's man, reeve of the Southern Fleelands, has been general four times. He guards the burgs Aken, Liudburg and Katsburg.

- Enoch, Diwek's man, reeve of Westfleeland and Texland, chosen as seaking nine times. He guards the Treasureburg, Medeasblik, Forana and Old Fryasburg.

- Foppo, man of Dunerose, reeve of the Seven Islands, was seaking five times. He guards the burg Walhallagara.

=====

Questions, comments, suggestions welcome.

My comment would be, the language seems a bit strange - why have Fleeland? The OLB clearly says Flyland, if the translation is English, it sounds strange. West Frisian: Flylân

Werser sounds a bit odd too, I've never heard it called that. It seems a made up name that doesn't correspond with a Frisian name.

Linguistically, the name of both rivers, Weser and Werra, goes back to the same source, the differentiation being caused by the old linguistic border between Upper and Lower German, which touched the region of Hannoversch Münden.

The name Weser parallels the names of other rivers, such as the Wear in England and the Vistula in Poland, all of which are ultimately derived from the root *weis- "to flow", which gave Old English/Old Frisian wāse "mud, ooze", Old Norse veisa "slime, stagnant pool", Dutch waas "lawn", Old Saxon waso "wet ground, mire", and Old High German wasal "rain".

I'm not here to pick the words apart or be overly critical, I know you have worked hard on this - but you did ask for feedback - and as I read it, those bits didn't seem to flow right.

A burglady...? hmmmm - sounds like a lady burglar and quite funny in English. The only burgs we have are hamburgers.

Burchfem or burchfaem imo would have sufficed there imo - that is obviously the proper Frisian name for this position, so I'd hesitate to change it. Fem is fairly obvious as female.

Reeve was a good call for Grevetman, even though it's another position name, it translates clearly.

What's wrong with 'Magy'? I don't see a need to change it to Magus. It's not a Frisian word nor an English word.

Imo it's a tricky combo of keeping to the original as far as possible and only changing the language where it's really needed, for instance, Kersten I'd have as Christian because the translation is English so Kersten sounds odd again if an English speaking reader is reading it. Why keep Kersten and use burglady, it seems a little mixed up.

Edited by The Puzzler

Thank you for the feed back, Puzzler.

My comment would be, the language seems a bit strange - why have Fleeland? The OLB clearly says Flyland, if the translation is English, it sounds strange.

We still have "Vlieland" which is pronounced "Vleeland". Verb FLY in OLB also means to flee, not to fly. See FLY.BURGH.

Werser sounds a bit odd too, I've never heard it called that. It seems a made up name that doesn't correspond with a Frisian name.

Werser is the current eastfrisian (NW Germany) name and closer to original than Weser.

My dictionary said "burg" is stronghold, which seemed better than Burgh and burrough to me. But I will reconsider that and the other things you wrote.

• Like 1

Thank you for the feed back, Puzzler.

We still have "Vlieland" which is pronounced "Vleeland". Verb FLY in OLB also means to flee, not to fly. See FLY.BURGH.

Werser is the current eastfrisian (NW Germany) name and closer to original than Weser.

My dictionary said "burg" is stronghold, which seemed better than Burgh and burrough to me. But I will reconsider that and the other things you wrote.

Flylan appears to mean 'flow land' - the area that flows....out to sea, from the river

fly and flee are also related offshoots but the Frisian fly may actually mean flow. Sorry, where is FLY.BURGH in the OLB, in what section, I can't recall where it is.

From the Indo-European root *plew- "flow",[1][2] the name was transmitted by the Roman geographer Pomponius Mela in describing this region. In his treatise on choreography of 44 AD, Pomponius speaks of a Flevo Lacus. He writes: "The northern branch of the Rhine widens as Lake Flevo, and encloses an island of the same name, and then as a normal river flows to the sea". Other sources rather speak of Flevum, which could be related to today's Vlie (Vliestroom), i.e. the seaway between the Dutch islands of Vlieland and Terschelling. This last name is grammatically more probable for a geographical indication, which is why it is assumed that Pomponius confused the declension of the word giving the name Flevo. In fact the Vlie formed outfall from the lake into the North Sea.

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Lake_Flevo

6 of one, half dozen of the other, but I'd be hesitant to translate Flylan on the assumption it means fleeland.

It would be interesting to see exactly why burch and burg are used in sections written by same person, denoting a difference in usage. Burchfam is always burch though, not burgfam - maybe burch means citadel where burgum means the town around the citadel - seems what it looks a bit like to me.

Tüntja thêr fâm is et-er burch Mêdêasblik het er næmmer nêi tâlth; tach is hja fol witskip ænd klarsyan, ænd wel sa hærde vppir folk ænd usa plyga stælth as all ôthera etsamne. Forth skold-ik rêda j moste nêi tha burgum gâ, ænd thêr vpskrywa alle êwa fryas tex, bijvnka alle skydnisa, jâ ella thæt er to finda sy vppa wâgum, til thju ella navt vrlêren ni gâ, ænd mitha burgum alsa vrdên navt ne werth. Thêr stæt askriwen: thiu moder ænd jahwelik burchfàm skil hæva buta helpar ænd senda bodon, yn and twintich fâmna ænd sjugon lêrfâmkis.

12. Thju moder et Texlând skil mæn jêva thrja sjvgun flinka bodon mith thrja twilif rappa horsa. Vppa ora Burgum ek burchfâm thrê bodon mith sjvgun horsa.

13. Ak skil æjder burchfâm hæva fiftich bvwara thrvch thæt folk akêren. Men thêrto mêi mæn allêna jêva sokka, thêr navt abel ænd stora for wêra ner to butafârar send.

14. Ajder burch mot hiri selva bidruppa ænd genêra fon hjra æjn ronddêl ænd fon thæt dêl that hju fon thæt mærkjeld bürth.

15. Is thêr æmman kêren vmbe vppa burgum to thjanjande ænd nil-er navt, thæn ne mêi-er na nên burchhêr wertha, ænd dus nên stem navt ni hæva, is er al burchhêr sa skil hi thju êr vrljasa.

If you do use 'burg', please don't use 'lady', it's too funny.

I like the way you have used italics for the Fryan words you didn't change.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Thanks for listening and again nice job in general, very inspirational.

Edited by The Puzzler

I reckoned that one of the main reasons why the OLB is not more popular is, that the existing translations are not easy or pleasant reads. Sandbach is a translation of Ottema's translation, it has long oldfashioned sentences and many strange words. Interesting for experts, but not for the more general public. The screenshots I posted earlier still had many original names and words in italic, but in the full translation of the first 7 pages, I had aimed at changing most of them into easier words. It remains a dilemma sometimes, use the original spelling, or an adaptation or even translation (of names or titles mostly). I would for example not translate Wralda or Frya, just explain in a footnote or introduction what the meaning is.

I think I will change Werser into Weser because there is hardly any doubt that it is the same river. But Stavia or Medeasblik for example might not be at the same location as our current Stavoren en Medemblik. So I would leave them, but I turn Stavja into Stavia and Médéasblik into Medeasblik. All those accents can be discouraging and the j in English is uncommon at that place.

FLYBURGH, actually FLÍBURG/ -BURCH (and FLÍLAND):

p.63, translated as "the paths leading to our places of refuge"

p.87, untranslated: "On the other side of the Scheldt, at Flyburgt, Sijrhed presided"

p.93, idem: "went off with all his people to Flyburgt"

p.249, (USA FLÍ JEFTHA WÉRA) translated as "to the east of Liudwerd, lies our place of refuge"

The dutch word is "vlieden".

I will change "burg" into "burgh" again.

"Magus" was in my English dictionary and seemed to fit quite well. ("Magy" was not, but I could indeed leave it untranslated.)

For "FÁM" I doubted between "maiden" and "lady", but maiden i.m.o. associates with "maid" and virginity. We say "burchtvrouwe" which is more like Lady. I will reconsider.

BURGUM / BURGA are plural. Singular is only once with G only (BURGFÁMNA on p.151), usually CH or GH.

Yes indeed, sometimes authors are not consequent in spelling. I don't think BURCH and BURGH have different meaning, they are just varieties of the same word (many other examples of this phenomenon in OLB).

Thanks again for the feedback and compliment.

Edited by Jan Ott
  • Like 1

Hi Puzzler

thanks, I always have an interest in this discussion. i don't participate much because I follow to learn so my knowledge is quite limited so stay silent for the most part. When I ponder on this I generally allow some consideration for the use of words,how and who expresses them as well as what is the intent of the recording of these words in written form. In my lifetime I have seen how the use of words have changed in meaning so how they are perceived several hundred to in excess of thousands of years to me seems like room for a lot of interpretation.

To make a long story short I've known a couple women that referred to having met the father of their child a happy coincidence, but we were hippies and going to love ins :innocent::whistle:

jmccr8

It would interest me to know have you read OLB jmccr8 , or have just become interested in the thread over the years ?

I think this is one of those instances where you may get more confused by too many opinions , and as its your work , just go with what you think is best.

i actually like Fleeland , as i think it describes what i think was the situation , that they were slaves in another land , escaped to become Free ( just my opinion ..sions ) so Fleeland , is where they fled to whilst fleeing. ......Flyland in my view gives an impresion of a land infested with flies ( possible of course , maybe being undrained at first , and very marshy ) but i wonder if you would call the place you intended to make your home flyland ??)

i have mentioned before that i am not 100% convinced that umbrought , means the folksmother was dead ( folksmother i like by the way , and might keep this title for her position all the way through , if it was my work ) i still think it may possibly be that the folksmother was brought through the forest (vrest) and made her decision to let the Magy stay , ie it has been 30 years since this decision was made , and goes on from there to explain what has happened since.

i agree with Puzz ..ladies and burghlady does not sound right , or give the right impression , i would

go with Folksmother , and Burgmothers ,

i also still keep an open mind where it mentions the Tye, Anda and Allans wondering if this

could be anda (v-anda-ls ) Tys (Tyre : ie Phoenicians ) and Al-en , (Allens ) all of which those

in brackets could be nations involved in possible OLB history. ( cant remember exact wording

something like all go-red (get mad ?) anda tys al-en sa be kumste ??

i am still not sure "wet wrdon" means wet wrydon.. wet through, i think it may just mean he read the wet (knowledgeable ) wrdon (words) to his wife and son , and then made a copy for his son on foreign paper , which he then tells his son , to do also.

so you are going to find it hard , if not impossible to get agreement on the translation JO , but i admire what your intentions are , to make it more understandable and more flowing and readable. keep up the good work i say... Bravo!

Edited by Passing Time
  • Like 2

Hello Passing Time,

I had not heard of the OLB until Abe started the thread and as the thread developed so did my interest.I haven't read the OLB ,and through the efforts of the members that have engaged and shared their views I have gained a worthwhile source of historical information, thanks to all of you. I have always worked in the construction industry and applied myself to learning to expand my understanding in that area of my life, I found this site by accident when I first started using a computer and used this site to develop computer skills,which in turn gave me an opportunity to explore history much to my surprize.

jmccr8

• Like 2

I think this is one of those instances where you may get more confused by too many opinions , and as its your work , just go with what you think is best.

i actually like Fleeland , as i think it describes what i think was the situation , that they were slaves in another land , escaped to become Free ( just my opinion ..sions ) so Fleeland , is where they fled to whilst fleeing. ......Flyland in my view gives an impresion of a land infested with flies ( possible of course , maybe being undrained at first , and very marshy ) but i wonder if you would call the place you intended to make your home flyland ??)

i have mentioned before that i am not 100% convinced that umbrought , means the folksmother was dead ( folksmother i like by the way , and might keep this title for her position all the way through , if it was my work ) i still think it may possibly be that the folksmother was brought through the forest (vrest) and made her decision to let the Magy stay , ie it has been 30 years since this decision was made , and goes on from there to explain what has happened since.

i agree with Puzz ..ladies and burghlady does not sound right , or give the right impression , i would

go with Folksmother , and Burgmothers ,

i also still keep an open mind where it mentions the Tye, Anda and Allans wondering if this

could be anda (v-anda-ls ) Tys (Tyre : ie Phoenicians ) and Al-en , (Allens ) all of which those

in brackets could be nations involved in possible OLB history. ( cant remember exact wording

something like all go-red (get mad ?) anda tys al-en sa be kumste ??

i am still not sure "wet wrdon" means wet wrydon.. wet through, i think it may just mean he read the wet (knowledgeable ) wrdon (words) to his wife and son , and then made a copy for his son on foreign paper , which he then tells his son , to do also.

so you are going to find it hard , if not impossible to get agreement on the translation JO , but i admire what your intentions are , to make it more understandable and more flowing and readable. keep up the good work i say... Bravo!

I agree, go with what you think is right, but it's always good to consider other options that help you make up your mind properly, that you may not have encountered.

I appreciate Jan taking the time to consider other avenues, whether it be agreeable or not.

Personally I'm not a fan of this fleeland, no-one is fleeing, although the poetic way you say it, is worthy of something.

It's geographical, like most place names and the flow. The Flie (river) is same, a flowing river. It's like Doro in Spain, it means strong because it relates to rivers flows. The word is everywhere in many forms.

Jan: Burchmaiden imo is the most correct. fem is maiden or even virgin, (burchfem is a vestal virgin basically) keep in mind Adela couldn't be one anymore because she wanted to marry. That means she wouldn't be a maiden anymore. The term in the Altfries dict. is maiden, virgo

Where it says Burch or burgmoder is burgmother only.

Edited by The Puzzler

Thank you for the feedback, PT.

Yes, I also like the idea of Fleeland being a land of refuge for the 'Free-minded'.

Flyland in my view gives an impresion of a land infested with flies
I had not thought of that. It is indeed a good reason not to use that spelling.

"umbrought" - compare dutch "omgebracht", past perfect of "ombrengen", this is a eufemism for "to kill". Later in the text, page 79-85 confirms that she (last folkmother FRANA) was indeed killed.

"vrest" - dutch "overste", german "oberst": supreme or highest.

"anda" - where do you think this refers to a tribe or nation?

"go-red" - dutch "gouw-raad", german "Gau-Rat" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gau_%28country_subdivision%29 ; raad/ Rat = council

"wrdon" - dutch "worden, german "werden" : to become (see context: they fell apart because they had become wet)

• Like 1

The comments of you both have been very helpful. I have changed into "burgh" and "maiden", "Weser" and made some more improvements. I hope all this will inspire some new discussion and insights.

Who wants to compare my draft translation so far with the one by Sandbach (1876) can look here

Edited by Jan Ott
  • Like 1

I agree, go with what you think is right, but it's always good to consider other options that help you make up your mind properly, that you may not have encountered.

I appreciate Jan taking the time to consider other avenues, whether it be agreeable or not.

Personally I'm not a fan of this fleeland, no-one is fleeing, although the poetic way you say it, is worthy of something.

It's geographical, like most place names and the flow. The Flie (river) is same, a flowing river. It's like Doro in Spain, it means strong because it relates to rivers flows. The word is everywhere in many forms.

Jan: Burchmaiden imo is the most correct. fem is maiden or even virgin, (burchfem is a vestal virgin basically) keep in mind Adela couldn't be one anymore because she wanted to marry. That means she wouldn't be a maiden anymore. The term in the Altfries dict. is maiden, virgo

Where it says Burch or burgmoder is burgmother only.

agreed Folksmod(th)er and Burchmod(th)er are different from the burchfam , and it should be made clear if you can that

the birchfam were virginal , so not just all the young girls who were still virgins , but those followers/helpers of the mothers

who had agreed to stay virginal for the period they were burchfam.(many an old text tells stories of a seer, or cybele losing her ability to tell the future , or prophecy , once she has lost her virginity , which is often taken by force, to stop her seeing)

i see what you are saying about the Flie (river) and you are right that many rivers are given names that relate to their flow,

but i still think its the flee-land of the people who ran away to become Fre(e)sians.,

Thank you for the feedback, PT.

Yes, I also like the idea of Fleeland being a land of refuge for the 'Free-minded'.

I had not thought of that. It is indeed a good reason not to use that spelling.

How about just Flylan, like it says in Wikipedia for 'Fleeland', that's todays (as well as OLB) Frisian spelling of it (Vlieland) and if anyone wants to check it out, it exists, they can see where it is. Fair call on other replies.

PT: They are Frisians named after Friso, not Freesians, named after free people, they are Fryans named after Frya and frya if anything means free, they are not Frya-eesians, but whatever, maybe some see it different.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/magus

(common usage) magician, and derogatorily sorcerer, trickster, conjurer, charlatan

I thought this suited wel :-)

Sure, OK. I guess it's another word I don't see the need to change at all.

We have gotten used to Fám, Magy, Flyland etc., but someone reading it for the first time may get discouraged when it has many unfamiliar words. But I agree, it's a dilemma. Until recently I tried to always stay as close to the original words as possible. That I will present the new translation right next to my transliteration and the fascimile will make it very easy for the more curious readers to find the original word and spelling. Also I will add foot or endnotes.

Edited by Jan Ott
  • Like 1

We have gotten used to Fám, Magy, Flyland etc., but someone reading it for the first time may get discouraged when it has many unfamiliar words. But I agree, it's a dilemma. Until recently I tried to always stay as close to the original words as possible. That I will present the new translation right next to my transliteration and the fascimile will make it very easy for the more curious readers to find the original word and spelling. Also I will add foot or endnotes.

Sounds good.

I must say, Magus is not a word used in English at least regularly, I've never heard it used in my own culture for instance, magi would be used more. Paintings of Jesus with the Magi for instance, the Persian magi, I can't even say magus, how do you pronounce it, mag-us or maj-us, seems hard to say IMO.

I was reading something else I was going to comment on, when it read that a man named William Barnes had defended the OLB, by stating that it featured far too many verifiable historical details for anyone but a highly trained university scholar to have included, whereby he cited some convincing, obscure parallels from Tacitus.

Who is William Barnes? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Barnes

He wrote over 800 poems, some in Dorset dialect, and much other work, including a comprehensive English grammar quoting from more than 70 different languages.

Barnes had a strong interest in language; he was fluent in Greek, Latin and several modern European languages. He called for the purification of English by removal of Greek, Latin and foreign influences so that it might be better understood by those without a classical education. For example, the word "photograph" (from Greek light+writing) would become "sun-print" (from Saxon). Other terms include "wortlore" (botany), "welkinfire" (meteor) and "nipperlings" (forceps).

William Barnes seems to have had the capacity to have written it himself.

• Like 1