Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 3]

Abramelin

But it reads GÉRT with a T, not GAR or GER.

GERMAN would have come from GÉRT-MAN.

It also makes more sense to swing a staff around your head before striking, than a spear. Spears are thin, light and sharp, so they can be swirled over great distance.

OK. I see it might be ROD (or staff) if we take the T into account, I thought you were saying a GER wasn't a spear - however now I agree that jerde is the likely word.

jerde 7, jerd-e, afries., st. F. (jō?): nhd. Gerte, Rute als Maß; ne. rod (N.) for measuring; Vw.: s. -fōt; Hw.: vgl. an. gerð (4), ae. gierd, anfrk. gerda, as. gerdia*, ahd. gerta;

Edited by The Puzzler

No.

source

Yes, sure, (yearn/begeert) I don't know what I was thinking.

"Comparing the translation with the original text has never been easier."

:tu:

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 2

Hi Passing Time,

At some time I will read the OLB,I have spent all off my life as an observer,it's part of the way I learn.it was the first mode of learning I've had since birth. :yes: .At this time for me I find following the thread with no opinion or bias allows me to follow the lines of thought that the posters are expressing and appreciate the way that they construct and present.This thread has had members giving links and discussion of many aspects of history involving extensive geographic locations. :tu:

jmccr8

• Like 1

Translation only of: Denmarks lost, Death of last folk mother, Magus defeated, Adelbrost, Apollania

To compare with Sandbach see here.

This is written in all our burghs:

How we lost our Denmarks, sixteen hundred and two years after Aldland perished [591 BCE].

Thanks to Wodin's foolishness, the magus had mastered eastern Skeanland. But he dared not cross the mountains or sea. The mother did not want it back. She declared not to fear his weapons, but rather to mix with the Skeanlanders again, as they had already been corrup­ted. The assembly agreed and so it was left to him.

More than hundred years ago, the Denmarkers started trading with them. They gave them iron weapons and tools in exchange for golden jewelery, copper and iron ore. The mother sent messengers with the advice to cease trading. She said to fear for their ethics, and that if they would lose them, they would lose their freedom too. But the Denmarkers didn't listen. They didn't want to understand the importance of ethics, so they simply ignored her. Eventually they even sold their own weapons and food supplies, but that evil created its own penalty. Their bodies were nicely decorated, but their warehouses were empty.

Just a hundred years after the first ship with provisions had left, poverty and lack entered through the windows. Hunger spread its wings and landed. Discord marched proudly through the streets and into the houses. Love became homeless and unity deserted. The child wanted food, but its mother only had jewelry. Wives asked their husbands, who asked the reeves. But the reeves had nothing either or kept it hidden.

Now the decorations had to be sold. But while the sailors were on their way, frost came and paved the sea and strait. When this bridge of ice was ready, watchfulness used it to leave the land, and treason climbed on its throne. Instead of guarding the shores, they geared the horses to their sleighs and drove to Skeanland.

The Skeanlanders were eager to see their ancestral land and invaded the Denmarks on a bright night. They claimed to have a right to their ancestral land and during the conflict about that, Finns sneaked into the villages and kidnapped the children. This and the lack of good weapons made them lose the case and their freedom as well, as the magus became their master. It was the result of not reading Frya's Tex and ignoring her advice.

Some believe they had been betrayed by the reeves, that the maidens had known about this, but that any mouth that wanted to speak about it was silenced with a golden lock. We don't know if that is true, but point out loud and clear: Do not depend too much on the wisdom and virtue of your nobles and maidens, because we are all responsible for upholding ourselves and the common good.

Two years later, the magus came with a fleet of light boats, to rob the mother and the sacred fire from Texland. He viciously attacked in a stormy winter night, when the wind roared and hail lashed the windows. The watchman thought he heard some­thing and lit his searchlight, illuminating the area, but many armed men had already climbed over the burgh wall. He hurried to ring the bell, but it was too late. Before the defense was ready, two thousand of them were already smashing the gate. The battle was short, for the guards had not been prepared and all of them fell in action.

While the fight was going on, a vile Finn had sneaked into the mother's bedroom or place of worship, wanting to defile her. But the mother resisted and threw him against the wall. He stood up again and drove his sword into her belly, saying: “If you refuse me, you will have my sword.” A Denmarker sailor came to her rescue. He took his sword and split the Finn's head. The blood that ran out of it was black and produced a blue flame.

The magus had the mother nursed on his ship. When she was well enough so that she could speak again, the magus said he was taking her with him, but she could keep her maidens and the sacred fire. She would enjoy higher prestige than ever before. He said he would ask her in the presence of his chieftains, if he should become master over all Frya's lands and folks, and that she would have to approve and affirm that, if she did not want to be tortured to death. He then gathered all his chieftains around her bed and asked ceremoniously: "Frana, since you are clairvoyant, tell me if I shall be master of all Frya's lands and folks!" But Frana ignored him.

Finally she opened her lips and spoke: "My eyes are blurred, but the inner light of my soul emerges... Yes, I can see... Hark Earth, and rejoice with me! When Aldland drowned, the first spoke of the Yule wheel stood at the top. Then it went down and so did our freedom. But when two more spokes or two thousand years have passed, the sons born out of adultery from princes and priests with the folk will stand up and speak out against their fathers. These sons will all be murdered. But what they have said will be remembered and bear fruit in the hearts of resolute people, like good seeds that were laid in your soil.

Another thousand years the spoke shall descend and ever more sink in darkness and blood, shed over you when princes and priests deceive. But then the red of dawn will start glowing again. Seeing that, the false princes and priests will join forces to keep freedom down. But freedom, love and unity will strengthen the folk and rise out of the sewer with the wheel of time.

The light that started as a glimmer, will eventually turn into a flame. Blood of the villains will flow over you, Earth, but you must not absorb it. Harmful animals will drink it and be poisoned. All pseudo histories that were made up to propagate the princes and priests will be offered to the flames. Finally your children shall all live in peace." When she had spoken, she collapsed.

The magus had not understood her well and cried: "I asked you, if I shall master all Frya's lands and folks, but you spoke to someone else!" Frana straightened up, stared at him and spoke: "Within one week, your soul shall wander about graves with the nightly birds, and your corpse will lie on the bottom of the sea." "Very well," said the magus, hiding his rage, "tell them I am coming." And to one of his men: "Throw that woman over board." That was the end of the last mother. We do not ask for revenge, as time will take that. But we can not repeat Frya's cry enough: "Wake! Wake! Wake!"

What happened to the magus.

After the mother had drowned, he had the maidens, the sacred fire and all booty of his liking brought to his ship. Then he sailed towards the Flee Lake as he wanted to abduct the burgh maiden of Medeasblik or Stavora to install her as mother. But they had been warned. The navigators of Stavora and Alderga were eager to confront him, but the great fleet was out on a distant voyage. Now they went and sailed with a small fleet to Medeasblik where they hid behind trees.

The magus reached Medeasblik on a clear, sunlit day, which didn't keep his men from boldly storming the burgh. But when all his boats had landed, our sailors came out from the creek and shot their arrows with turpentine balls at his fleet. They were well aimed so many ships instantly caught fire. Those guarding the ships tried to fire back, but were no threat to us.

When a burning vessel drifted towards the magus' ship, he commanded his captain to evade, but that was the Denmarker who had slain the Finn. He replied: "You have sent our mother of honor to the bottom of the sea to announce your coming. You might have forgotten in the frenzy, so I will make you keep your word."

The magus tried to ward him off, but the sailor, a true Fryas, strong like a bull, took his head with both hands and lifted him over board into the raging waves. Then he lifted up his brown shield and sailed straight to our fleet, delivering the maidens back to us safely. But the sacred fire had faded away and no one knew how that had happened.

When the news of the drowned magus reached the enemy ships that were still intact, they sailed away, as their navigators were mostly Denmarkers. When the fleet was out of reach, our sailors fired their burning arrows at the Finns that were left. When the Finns saw how they were abandoned, they ran around in panic, losing order and discipline. Now the guards drove them out of the burgh. Who did not flee was killed and who fled found his end in the quagmires of the Krilinger Wood.

Postscript

Waiting in the creek, a jester among the Stavoran sailors made a wordplay on "Medeasblik", or "Medemlek": "Medea may laugh (lakkia) if we save her". The maidens named the creek after it.

We all know what happened since. The maidens will have their way of explaining and describing that, so we herewith consider our work to be done. Hail!

End of the book.

~

My name is Adelbrost, son of Apol and Adela. My folk elected me to be reeve over the Linda Wards. Following the advice of my mother, I want to add to this book.

After the magus was defeated and Fyasburgh restored, a new mother had to be elected. The last mother had never mentioned a favorite and there was no trace of her will. After seven months, an assembly was planned in Grenega, because that is close to the Saxanamarks. My mother was elected, but she refused to become folk mother. She and my father loved each other since she had saved his life and now they also wanted to be united.

Many tried to persuade my mother, but she said: "A mother of honor must be as pristine inside as her appearance is, and equally gentle to all her children. Since I love Apol more than anything else in the world, I can not be such a folk mother." That was Adela at her best. But the other burgh maidens all wanted to be mother. Each district favored its own maiden and would not yield, so none was elected, the realm in disorder. The following will clarify.

Liudgert, the army leader who died recently, had been elected when the mother was still alive, apparently with the support of all districts. He was allowed to live in the palace of Dokhem and when the mother still lived, he was highly respected there, as there were constantly messengers and knights from far and wide, more than ever before. But since the mother's death, he had been shunned, because all feared that he would bypass the law to make himself master and rule like the Slavon kings. And the chieftains falsely believed they did enough, if they just guarded their own district. They no longer worked together.

The burgh maidens were even worse. They were proud of their own wisdom and if a reeve did not consult them, they raised distrust between him and his people. If one maiden was consulted in a case that concerned several districts, the others claimed she had spoken in favor of her own state. Such intrigues caused division between the districts and tore the bond of union so badly, that jealousy arose between the various folks and minute conflicts made them regard each other as strangers.

The gain of that has been that the Gola or Trowids took over all our lands behind the Scheldt, and the magus that behind the Weser. My mother investigated how that happened. Without that this book would not have been written, but I have lost all hope that it will save us. So I don't write in the illusion that this will help reclaim or preserve the land. I consider that impossible. I only write so that future generations may know how we fell apart, and so that anyone may learn from this, that every evil grows its own penalty.

~

My name is Apollania.

Two months after my mother died, my brother Adelbrost was found dead on the wharf, his skull split and his limbs torn apart. My father was alreay sick and died of shock. My younger brother Apol decided to leave and sail to the west coast of Skeanland, where he built a burgh named Lindasburgh, and prepared for revenge. Wralda granted him many years for that. He got five sons who are a curse to the magus and a blessing to my brother.

After the deaths of my mother and brother, the most sincere of our lands came together and made an alliance, named Adel-Bond. For our protection, my youngest brother Adelheart and I were hidden in the burgh. I joined the maidens and he the military. At the age of thirty, I was elected burgh maiden. My brother was elected reeve when he was fifty. He was the sixth of my mother's side, but of my father's side the third. According to the law, his descendants could thus not use Overa Linda as surname, but everyone wanted to make an exception, to honor my mother. They also gave us a copy of The Book of Adela Followers. That pleases me most, because my mother's wisdom brought it into the World.

Edited by Jan Ott

i am still liking it JO ... more indication in this one that hred means saved , as you said before , can you be sure in this one though that Enoch , means enough , and that they are not refering to the Enoch ( cheiftains name ) from page 1 . saying that his burgh alone did not help the others ??

ref your post 330# page 88

do i take it that from your jumping about with pages , that you consider the MS to be in the

wrong order ? , who do you think numbered the pages ?

also note that you think Wr Alda means world .

Edited by Passing Time

can you be sure in this one though that Enoch , means enough , and that they are not refering to the Enoch ( cheiftains name ) from page 1 . saying that his burgh alone did not help the others ??

ENOCH is used several times for what must be "enough":

p.31

FÉLO SLACHTA FINDA.S SEND SNOD ENOCH. (many tribes of Finda are smart enough, but...)

MEN HJA SEND GÍRICH. HÁCH.FÁRANDE.

FALSK. VNKUS ÀND MORT.SJOCHTICH.

p.86

NÉI THAT THA FLÁTE FÉR ENOCH EWÉI WÉRE (when the fleet was far enough...)

WENDON VSA STJURAR

p.88

ELK FORST WÁNDE FORTH THAT ER ENOCH DÉDE (... that he did enough, as/when he watched over his own state)

AS ER WÁKADE OVIR SIN ÀJN STÁT

p.105

MIN HUS WÉRE STERK ENOCH SÉIDER. (my house was strong enough)

p.197

STOR ENOCH VMB HELMET ÀND SKILD TO BÉRANE (strong/ big enough to carry helmet and shield)

The chieftain's name E.NOCH thus probably means "enough".

do i take it that from your jumping about with pages , that you consider the MS to be in the

wrong order ?

No not the wrong order. In my final version I will probably keep the original, but I will note where the text continues chronologically. For many readers that may be easier and a more pleasant reading experience.

I think that for a new reader, it might be better to first read all about the occurrences of 6th C. BCE, before diving in the mythology, the more ancient histories and laws. That may just be to much of a mind-stretcher, and confusing.

who do you think numbered the pages ?

Hidde, the last known copyist.

also note that you think Wr Alda means world .

Yes, but not only. Literally it means the most ancient one. Sometimes it just makes more sense to translate it as World.

Edited by Jan Ott
  • Like 1

ENOCH is used several times for what must be "enough"

FYI:

nóg - icelandic

nog - swedish

nok - danish, norse

genug - german

genôch - frisian

genoeg - dutch

Translation only of: Denmarks lost, Death of last folk mother, Magus defeated, Adelbrost, Apollania

To compare with Sandbach see here.

This is written in all our burghs:

How we lost our Denmarks, sixteen hundred and two years after Aldland perished [591 BCE].

Thanks to Wodin's foolishness, the magus had mastered eastern Skeanland. But he dared not cross the mountains or sea. The mother did not want it back. She declared not to fear his weapons, but rather to mix with the Skeanlanders again, as they had already been corrup­ted. The assembly agreed and so it was left to him.

Loving this too JO , just think this paragraph may sound a bit ambiguous , very petty of me but you might consider :-

Thanks to Wodin's foolishness, the magus was now master of eastern Skeanland. But he dared not cross the mountains or sea. The mother did not want the land back , she declared " not for fear of his weapons , but rather so as not to mix with the Skeanlanders again as they had already been corrupted." The assembly agreed , and so the land was left to him.

Edited by Passing Time
  • Like 1

Yes, although I can usually make myself understood (more or less) in English, I probably make many mistakes or weird sounding sentences. It will all have to be edited by a native English speaker or a professional translator, before any of it is printed on paper.

I certainly do not mind proposing alternatives here and there , where i think it might help , and i am sure Puzz would do

the same ...... your use of English is pretty damn good anyway , and so i dont want you to think i am just being nit-picky

• Like 1

do you think Adela was Aedela , and the sons were aedelbrost and aedelheart , and they were the Aethelings , Aedelings,

i had thought that page 1 line 8 , may say something like:-

Vmbe that Unluck to werane hede man ene (mena acht) bilidsen hwer gadvrath weron allera mannelik,

because of that evil on ourown heads that a (Curse ??) believed sent by the God of Wrath on all our men.........(mean act ? curse ?)

ther ann.en gode hrop stande by the famna

their own god (Europa ?)stood by the famna .

regarding the phrase allera Mannelik , i think we have discussed in the MS first pages two Vs make a VV w , how about if two Ns ie:- nn make an M... look up mamluk , and you will find mamluk is the singular , but the plural is mamelik , which is the Arabic for slaves of the king , it is used in the

sense of property , but relates to people as slaves , could we have found who/where they fled from.and maybe then allera Mamelic's could be an early Allah mannelik (Arab kings slaves )

Edited by Passing Time

did Alewyn ever post this on this thread ?

This Josef Saers from Sweden quotes several posts from the thread.

The page seems to be like a personal note book.

His main page about OLB is here, but it's all in swedish.

Edited by Jan Ott

I certainly do not mind proposing alternatives here and there , where i think it might help , and i am sure Puzz would do

the same ...... your use of English is pretty damn good anyway , and so i dont want you to think i am just being nit-picky

I agree, a massive job well done and especially since, as I take it, English is not Jans first language.

I'm more than happy to help.

The part in question was a bit ambiguous and you think you're picky... Lol

I was always taught that a sentence does not start with But. It also makes a weird lot of short sentences. I'd propose...

...master of Eastern Skenland but dared not cross......and the Mother didn't want

Nor is it used after a comma, it takes the place in both but that's grammar and the editor would sort it out.

It's the main problem I have in understanding the foreign languages properly and one I've continuously come up against here.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 1

The Oera Linda Book is a literary hoax.

Hi, thanks for your opinion.

• Like 1

A remarkable detail.

Adela advised:

"I should farther recommend that you should visit all the citadels, and write down all the laws of Frya's Tex, as well as all the histories, and all that is written on the walls, in order that it may not be destroyed with the citadels."

Then this is said:

"Adela's advice was followed.

These are the Grevetmen under whose direction this book is composed:—

Apol, Adela's husband; [...] The towns Liudgarda, [...] are under his care."

Apollania writes about her burgh in Ljudgarda:

"On the south wall the Tex is inscribed. On the right side of this are the formulae [FORM.LÉRE], and on the other side the laws"

But these were not copied into the original Book of Adela Followers, as Apollania writes:

"The old legend [FORM.LÉRE] which is written on the outside wall of the city tower is not written in "The Book of Adela's Followers." Why this has been neglected I do not know; but this book is my own, so I will put it in out of regard to my relations."

It looks like Apol, Adela's husband and responsible for having the texts of the burgh Ljudgara copied, did not think much of the FORM.LÉRA (primal teachings about Wralda), or he left it out for some other reason...

I know we can only speculate about why it was left out, but it is at least noteworthy.

Edited by Jan Ott

Hi, thanks for your opinion.

I don't think it is an opinion. It is a literal quote from the thread:

The Oera Linda Book is a literary hoax.

Without any arguments, this 'opinion' has no value.

do you think Adela was Aedela , and the sons were aedelbrost and aedelheart , and they were the Aethelings , Aedelings,

Interesting link. Her name could mean the same thing as the root for aetheling IMO.

What do you mean though, "and they were the Aetherlings," like you refer to specific people or family..?

During the earliest years of the Anglo-Saxon rule in England, the word ætheling was probably used to denote any person of noble birth. Its use was soon restricted to members of a royal family. The prefix æþel- formed part of the name of several Anglo-Saxon kings, for instance Æthelberht of Kent, Æthelwulf of Wessex and Æthelred of Wessex, and was used to indicate their noble birth.

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Ætheling

The term is an Old English and Old Saxon compound of aethele, æþele or (a)ethel, meaning "noble family", and -ing, which means "belonging to",[1] It derives from the Germanic word Edeling or Edling and is etymologically related to the modern German words Adel, "nobility", and adelig or adlig, "noble".[2] It was usually rendered in Latin as clito.

or there is the more unsavoury:

1712, from addle (n.) "urine, liquid filth," from Old English adela "mud, mire, liquid manure" (cognate with Old Swedish adel "urine," Middle Low German adel, Dutch aal "puddle").

http://www.etymonlin....php?term=addle

However, in Frisian, another option seems to be ADEL = legate (delegate) ādêl 1 und häufiger, ā-dê-l, afries., st. M. (a): nhd. Legat (N.); ne. legate (N.)

mid-12c., "authorized representative of the Pope," from Old French legat and directly from Latin legatus "ambassador, envoy," originally "provided with a commission," past participle of legare "send as a deputy, send with a commission, bequeath," from lex (genitive legis) "contract, law" (see legal). General sense of "ambassador, delegate, messenger" is from late 14c

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=legate&allowed_in_frame=0

Edited by The Puzzler

Frisian colonists in Russia with a dilemma that is currently on topic again (as it was in the OLB).

Fragment from 1935 German film "Fisians in Distress" (Friesennot), with English subtitles:

Edited by Jan Ott

Interesting link. Her name could mean the same thing as the root for aetheling IMO.

What do you mean though, "and they were the Aetherlings," like you refer to specific people or family..?

Just that yes , that they were the nobility , but imported nobility , here is where you are likely to shy away from me ,

but its just a line of enquiry i am following at the moment to see how far it might go .....

like you said those aethelings became very important to the north , and many of the kings of Britain later had names

starting with AE or EA ..... we are looking for a people who escaped from slavery .... they could have been called

mannelik ( who could have been Mameliks , singularly Mamluks , slaves of a king , especially if two n's make an m)

many old writting talks about Nimrod causing a (the first in some books) great war , when he invaded the terre of the

mesopotamians , UR , Urians (arians ?) and enslaved them...... it sounds like they were called Skythians , and they were Semitic ,and they scattered wherever and whenever they could , into India , Persia in one direction , and Armenia in another....... books mention this flight , the chronicles of Eri being one .

Emperor Justin called the first christians... Galilaeans.... Ga means blood , genus , kin, so Ga..lil..ae..an. the kin of

Enlil , EA or Enki , an or Anu. there most prestigious temple was called the E.Gal , Enlils son was called Nirgal , and

daughter Ningal ( the roots of the Gal , Gaul, Gaels ) if you read the lost words of Enki , a son of Enki was IB ,

known as an-ib , or lord Ib ........Enki's job was to mine gold from the AB-SU , thought to be South Africa , so

presumeably his son was with him , and according to Isadore of Seville , and many of the history books we follow in

Britain ,some of the first inhabitants we had in Britain came from Spain (Iberia , IB-ur-ia ) and according to O'Connor

and O'Carrol they were a people called Iber , and came from Africa , through Spain , Gaul , and eventually to Ireland

and Britain , you probably know too , that after a plague they are supposed to have migrated further North , and met

the Armenian division of escapees that had made their way to Scandinavia .but via Greece, Italy .

i dont expect anyone else to believe any of this , as i say it is just something i am looking at at the moment , and i have

followed many a wild goose chase before , before giving it up as a lost cause.

Many say however the bible came first from the mesopotamiam beliefs, The 3 wise men.. The Magi....came from supposedly Ethiopia , India , and media/Persia , found the messiah they were looking for , that the stars had told them about , why !

because he was of their blood , royal Magi blood , a priest of Melkizedek , Jesus said he came for the Gentiles ,(the gentesor the genus of the isles) the

lost tribes , the 10 tribes that had migrated in two different directions , did he say he came for them , or he came from them ?

just something i am interested in at the moment for "Passing (some)Time"

Edited by Passing Time