Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 3]

Abramelin

1 hour ago, Ott said:

What is the source of that short fragment and how do you know it was inspired by the OLB?

The opening sequence of above film dates from 20 July 1936. The ritual depicted was organised by Carl Diem and Theodor Lewald. While I have so far found nothing about Carl Diem that links him with the OLB, there is at least a hint of a connection in the case of Theodor Lewald, who, describing the ritual, said it created, "a real and spiritual bond between our German fatherland and the sacred places of Greece founded nearly 4,000 years ago by Nordic immigrants" (The Guardian, 16 May 2012). It is certainly no part of any currently accepted history that ancient Greek religious sanctuaries were founded by Germanic settlers, but this is exactly what the OLB tells us. The ceremony shown in the film took place at Olympia, Greece, and was, of course, the ritual lighting of the flame for the 1936 Olympic Games, after which the flame was taken, by relay, across land to Berlin. The participants included Koula Pratsika (High Priestess) (1899-1984), Maria Hors (1921-2015), Aleka Mazaraki (later Aleka Katseli, actress) (1918-1994), Elsa Vergi (1921-1989), Anna Frayiadi (or Anna Fragiadi), Dora Loundra, Maria Loundra, Lisa Dragoumi, Eleni Dragoumi, Loulou Pesmatzoglou, Noni Papageorgiou, Rena Kimissi, and Maria Panagiotopoulou, some of whom remained connected with the Olympic lighting ceremony for many decades thereafter. This was the very first occasion that this ritual was carried out, but it has since become an established part of the Games, though has since been changed quite significantly. One has to wonder about the motivation of Diem and, in particular, Lewald. It should be pointed out that the ceremony suggested by Diem and Lewald bears little relation to any Ancient Greek practices, but is strikingly similar to those described in the OLB, with seven virgins tending the eternally burning flame. According to the official history of the Games, however, the idea for the flame lighting ceremony came from Plutarch, in his Life of Numa, King of Rome 715-673 BC. The relevant passage, in Chapter 9, is as follows:

"He was also overseer of the holy virgins called Vestals; for to Numa is ascribed the consecration of the Vestal virgins, and in general the worship and care of the perpetual fire entrusted to their charge. It was either because he thought the nature of fire pure and uncorrupted, and therefore entrusted it to chaste and undefiled persons, or because he thought of it as unfruitful and barren, and therefore associated it with virginity. Since wherever in Greece a perpetual fire is kept, as at Delphi and Athens, it is committed to the charge, not of virgins, but of widows past the age of marriage. And if by any chance it goes out, as at Athens during the tyranny of Aristion the sacred lamp is said to have been extinguished, and at Delphi when the temple was burned by the Medes, and as during the Mithridatic and the Roman civil wars the altar was demolished and the fire extinguished, then they say it must not be kindled again from other fire, but made fresh and new, by lighting a pure and unpolluted flame from the rays of the sun. And this they usually effect by means of metallic mirrors, the concavity of which is made to follow the sides of an isosceles rectangular triangle, and which converge from their circumference to a single point in the centre. When, therefore, these are placed opposite the sun, so that its rays, as they fall upon them from all sides, are collected and concentrated at the centre, the air itself is rarefied there, and very light and dry substances placed there quickly blaze up from its resistance, the sun's rays now acquiring the substance and force of fire. Some, moreover, are of the opinion that nothing but this perpetual fire is guarded by the sacred virgins; while some say that certain sacred objects, which none others may behold, are kept in concealment by them."

It is said that this passage inspired the method of lighting the flame, by means of the sun, but it clearly inspired nothing else about the ceremony. My proposition is that Theodor Lewald, in suggesting this ceremony, was inspired either directly by the OLB, or indirectly by Wiligut, in particular the latter’s 1935 article in Hagal, previously quoted in this thread. Furthermore, the person who actually devised the ceremony, Koula Pratsika, had studied in Austria and Swabia, and later organised Pagan dance rituals at her dance school.

See, for example: Koula Pratsika: A Pioneer.

Edited by Tony S.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have read much of this thread and some other about Oera Linda book as I find it very interesting. The only thing I want to mention so far is about these three women, Lyda, Finda and Frya. Lyda was black, Finda was yellow and Frya was white.

In Old Norse "svarta" can mean "blacken" as in accuse or coloring something black. In mythology as I see it, of great importance.

Lydia was yellow? Might this yellow or "gel" which I found in the original mean something else then a yellow color. Gul in Old Norse could mean wind, a metaphor for breath. But "gel" can mean gelded in old Norse, or crazy in old high German ??

I'm writing this because I think it is essential for the understanding of this book. But I'm not schooled, just interested In this matter I submit to the color green, like a student. Much interesting to find in this thread.

Per.

On 2.1.2016 at 7:13 PM, Apol said:

Yes, do Finda's people have their name from their FINDINGRIKHÊD or OVER.FINDINGRIKHÊD?

There is nothing that is expressively said about it, but I have also asked myself if that's the case.

Finda's people shall turn its FINDINGRIKHÊD (inventiveness) into common advantage, that Lyda's people its strength, and we our wisdom (Page 141).

Among Finda's people there are unwise who by their OVER.FINDINGRIKHÊD (over-inventiveness) have become so wicked that they make themselves wise, and let their initiated ones assert that they are the best part of Wralda; that their spirit is the best part of Wralda's spirit, and that Wralda can only think by the help of their brain (Page 100).

I have read in this thread that the three Norns from Voluspa is mentioned previously. But let's look again at what they represent. Have in mind that this is my understanding afte having studied Havamal in private for long time.

Urd is the first Norn in Norse mythology representing the origin and not the past, as many believe. This is because the origin of which is also our source does not exist in the past but in the real now, in other words in the present. Big bang was in the present tense so everything in our existence only has the opportunity to be reality in the present tense. And that which is in the present is what it is, no matter what we belive about it.

Urd was one of three powerful ladies who came from Jotunheimen. Jotunheimen could mean a place for creative or formative forces, but also consuming forces. These three ladies came to Aasgaard according to Voluspa and was why the Æsir created the dwarfs, which can mean mutilated people. And it could mean the creation of mythology (and religion) as I see it.

If I'm going to speculate, I would think that Urd is Frya in Oera Linda book. Because Urd is the connection to the source wralda, something Thurs the 2nd Norns missing. Let's look at the other two.

Verdande the second Norn in Voluspa. Verdande does not mean present, Verdande means what will happen or what's coming. I think Verdande can be Lyda in Oera linda book. Lyda could mean to obey and carrying out after appropriate sense. An obedient person who does not know their origin, will obey other forces than the source. An obedient person who will follow orders given by others, often by force. Whatever will happen or what is coming, is then the effect (Verdande) and then becomes a cause of its effect, which is Skuld.

Skuld is the third Norn in Voluspa. Skuld means debt or cause. Maybe a bit confusing, but the cause and effect is like the chicken and the egg when you do not know the source of the origin) Skuld will then be Oera linda book's Finda. Skuld create their own motives driven by desires. Skuld is boundlessly inventive and intellectual. Skuld is therefore the reason for what to come, which is Verdande without being, that is without Urd, witch is present, the now.

A funny recognition found in Revelation 17.8. 8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and is about to come up out of the abyss, [and to go into perdition. And they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, they whose name hath not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast, how that he was, and is not, and shall come.

My English is not so good, so I had to get some help from google translate. I hope some of this is understandable.

Edited by Skirnum
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

thanks for your input and insight Skirnum......very interesting.

P.S. your grammar is fine, perfectly understandable and informative ...thank you

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Passing Time said:

thanks for your input and insight Skirnum......very interesting.

P.S. your grammar is fine, perfectly understandable and informative ...thank you

Thanks Passing Time.

There is another old poem that can be seen in the context of Oera linda book. The poem called Grottasongr . Where two young girls Menia and Fenia (Lyda and Finda?) Are slaves of the self-wise King Frodi. They are set to drive a great millstone that will provide Kong Frode gold. Frode want more and more gold and riches, and the two ladies who are of the Giant family must grind without longer pauses then it takes a cuckoo to say kokko. (In Norwegian kokko means crazy)

I think that these giant ladies which in grottasöngr determines Nations destinies and thus the fate of individuals, are the same as the Norns Verdande and Skuld, as in modern word would mean cause and effect. But without the present tense, which is Urd or Frigg (Freya?). As also our modern world is run in our times, where growth, growth, growth is what drives our economy. Madness in my eyes, or completely kokko hehe.

Here's a version of Grottasongr. And some words about the poem. I do not agree with everything this author says.

Edited by Skirnum

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This struck me as relevant: 

The Goddess Fortuna, and her six-spoked wheel. 

800px-CarminaBurana_wheel.jpg

Any connection in the OLB between Wralda or Frya to luck or fortune? 

little side note on this ...

WRALDA for OER-ALD

FRYA for VRIJE

made me think of

FOR-TUNA for VER-DIENEN -> DESERVE -> Fate -> what (the wheel of) time will bring to you

without passion or prejudice, blindfolded like Lady JUSTICE -> JUIST-IS

On 5/17/2017 at 7:46 PM, flashman7870 said:

The Goddess Fortuna, and her six-spoked wheel.

Six-spoked?

Or is it eight...?

• Like 1

On 18-5-2017 at 9:55 PM, Van Gorp said:

Lady JUSTICE -> JUIST-IS

Justice comes from the Latin ius, iuris and from iustus.

Edited by Ell
wrong language

Nie juist.  You will probably have a different view but I came to the conclusion that Latin is an invented and artificial language used by the priests and academici as their lingua 'Franca' sic, not lingua Latina !:-) like parents talking french when children are not supposed to understand all what is said.  So they could invent whole stories without blushing :-) There is no root coming from 'Latin' in our or any other language, it is the other way round.

Latin has ever been a dead language from the start, supported by a kind of 'romance' view of history. 

The fact is that Franks and offspring instituted the artificial Latin as official language in documents/writing, based on their distorted Frankisch or Old Franconian (in fact a Germanic language) that influenced Romance languages.  Of course they needed some old and irreal (because spoken by only he priests after years of study!) language to spread the mist that it were 'they', as Germanic speaken flok who betrade their own culture by forcing Catholicism and French on the population who had no relation with that new language and culture. 

French and Latin are no other than collaboration languages imo, don't be mislead by their prententions.

• Like 1

Phew, a little too long to read three seperate threads, but, out of curiousity

Did anybody point out that flood terminologies in Mesopotamian literature refer to New Moon and eclipses and not literal floods ?

That's new to me, maybe others discussed.

Do you have references on the net to find?

What i can remember is Otharus mentionning the usage of the noun 'flood' in middle ages also for a kind of influx of non-local people, or maybe the increasing influence on cultural level from outside.

Can it be that the eclipses, new (and full?)  moon flood-terminology in Mesopotamian literature comes from the fact that these constillations can trigger a water flood greater than normal?

On 6/1/2017 at 1:03 PM, Van Gorp said:

That's new to me, maybe others discussed.

Do you have references on the net to find?

What i can remember is Otharus mentionning the usage of the noun 'flood' in middle ages also for a kind of influx of non-local people, or maybe the increasing influence on cultural level from outside.

Can it be that the eclipses, new (and full?)  moon flood-terminology in Mesopotamian literature comes from the fact that these constillations can trigger a water flood greater than normal?

Oh, well, I can see you have a forum expert on ancient literature in another poster, so sadly , I must bow to his wisdom

I'm sure he can answer your questions about flood and flood terms :)

Meanwhile, what do you think, could it be a possible explanation?

Btw, do you have some links where 'flood' is used in terms of new moon or eclipses?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1.6.2017 at 8:03 PM, Van Gorp said:

As posted 21 May 2014:

Interesting footnote in the Chronicles of Eri, book 2/2 (p.50): "It is observable that the figure generally presented for an hostile invasion is a flood, as you may have seen in divers passages in these Chronicles, and in the Dissertation. Which instances could be given five hundred fold, was it necessary."
Fragment to which the footnote referred (p.48): "What if a messenger be sent to Daire, to drive back the waves that threaten the land?"

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, flashman7870 said:

Well, guess it's time for my bi-annual rereading of all of these threads. 

Damnation and hell fire - you've stirred this zombie up again. Now it will continue to eat brains and spout odd Frisian things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello UM OLB peeps, long time, no see, I know but I thought I'd only post when I had some new stuff to talk about...here's one, has anyone heard of William Comyns Beaumont? His theory is so far out I recognised aspects of it within the OLB. If he was younger I'd have said he could be the author. 

William Comyns Beaumont, also known as Comyns Beaumont, (1873–1956)[1] was a British journalistauthor, and lecturer.

“a collection of bodies came from the direction of the present north-east, and fell mainly upon a certain position of the Northern Hemisphere, occasioned vast earthquakes, and deposited not only certain mountain ranges but also volcanoes, causing among other matters the sinking of some land and the uprising of others.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/scotland-s-catastrophic-comet-conspiracy-007814/page/0/1

The wording, the subject matter and if we looked at it in the way that Atland was West of the Frisian lands as many have done, (Britain) even though I know the India location is quite valid, to me, this seems a connected story, he suspects Christianity, Constantine specifically, of wiping out all previous history, he places the immigration from Bronze Age Britain to the Meditteranean as does the OLB and other things, which I can imagine some might have truths to it. I was gonna make a new topic and might yet depending, it's really just about looking at some other connecting aspects to the OLB story first that maybe only those interested can get thier head around. Cheers.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 4

I remember the name - wasn't he the one who argued that the Egyptians came from the Faroe Islands because Faroe sounds like Pharaoh? 

40 minutes ago, Essan said:

I remember the name - wasn't he the one who argued that the Egyptians came from the Faroe Islands because Faroe sounds like Pharaoh? 

It says this: The Faroe Islands were originally the 'Pharaoh's Islands' and the ancient Greek's Mount Olympus, the throne of the gods, was actually Ben Nevis - Scotland’s Highest mountain. Ur of the Chaldees was located near the Stones of Stenness in the Orkneys and in England; York was Babylon, Lincoln was Antioch and London was Damascus. He claimed the survivors of Atlantis ventured southwest founding nations after their home-lands in Scotland.

He has Egyptians from Ireland.

Edited by The Puzzler

4 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

It says this: The Faroe Islands were originally the 'Pharaoh's Islands' and the ancient Greek's Mount Olympus, the throne of the gods, was actually Ben Nevis - Scotland’s Highest mountain. Ur of the Chaldees was located near the Stones of Stenness in the Orkneys and in England; York was Babylon, Lincoln was Antioch and London was Damascus. He claimed the survivors of Atlantis ventured southwest founding nations after their home-lands in Scotland.

Is that connected to the “Princess Soctia” business?

The Faroe Islands name is IMO, disputed, livestock..hmm, to sheep island, maybe..more like the islands far away.

Origin
Old English færfaru ‘travelling, a journey or expedition’, faran ‘to travel’, also ‘get on (well or badly’), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch varen and German fahren ‘to travel’, Old Norse ferja ‘ferry boat’, also to ford. Sense 1 of the noun stems from an earlier meaning ‘a journey for which a price is paid’. Noun sense 2 was originally used with reference to the quality or quantity of food provided, probably from the idea of faring well or badly.

A journey for which a price is paid, like to a ferryman I guess... A sacred place, not necessarily inhabited.

Pharoah itself mean big house. The house that houses the sacred God. It's all in interpretation but I won't bog down in etymology, yet. I'm not here to disprove or prove the theory though.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Scota? That's the thing isn't it, there's quite a few strange connections outside of his ideas. I'm not sure if he mentions it.

Edited by The Puzzler
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

In reverse ......

In this case, Rameses and Cleopatra are descended from the  Wee McSkivens of Gleann Dolallaigh.   Or something like that :D 

• Haha 1