Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Belief or Non-Belief: Your mojo and you.

Stubbly_Dooright

To believe or not to believe, that's the question! The answer is in II Cor. 5:7. To believe by faith or to believe by sight. To believe by sight is to believe with understanding, hence the word sight. To believe by faith is to leave the understanding with Paul. When we believe by sight, we know what we believe. When we believe by faith, Paul knows the kind of believers we are. So, believe or not to believe? Now, the answer is in the mind of us all: To know or to be known.

Edited by Shibolet

To believe or not to believe, that's the question!

No, it isn't. Not in this thread. Go back up and read the thread title again. It starts off with belief or noon-belief. It is a statement, not a question.
The answer is in II Cor. 5:7.
Your answer. It is not everyone's. Granted, you are more than likely not the only one, many could be the though, to read the item that line is from. Not everyone has, and it could be not everyone would probably read it the same as you. Again, if that's your mojo, great. This is about what is important to each and every poster's and it being their faith or nonbelief. I get it, you are definitely making a point of what your mojo is. But, do understand that this is a thread for everyone and their beliefs or nonbeliefs is just as important as yours.
To believe by faith or to believe by sight. To believe by sight is to believe with understanding, hence the word sight. To believe by faith is to leave the understanding with Paul. When we believe by sight, we know what we believe. When we believe by faith, Paul knows the kind of believers we are. So, believe or not to believe? Now, the answer is in the mind of us all: To know or to be known.

Here's the thing you keep failing to grasp. Not everyone sees that. I don't, because my country is based on believing or not believing all you want, and my parents did not raise us on following or reading anything religious in nature by force. So, this Paul you speak of, I do not know of. So, there might be many others who was raised like me. Your basis in a particular individual named Paul is irrelevant to the whole of the populace. Yes, it would be to some, but not to all.

Sight is indeed, if we're going to use some form of metaphors or the like, is what is. I do not, do not at all, find understanding of faith leaving the understanding to someone in particular. To you, ok. That's great. To me, to believe by faith, is to leave the understanding to me. As I feel it is for everyone, their faith is their understanding. To me, that makes a lot more sense.

So, you took the main point of this thread, and used it differently. Meaning my wish to see the varying aspects of everyone's belief or lack there of, and see how it inspires them, nurtures them, allow them to be. This thread did not ask a question of what it means to have belief or non-belief. This thread is not looking for an answer to what life is, it's looking for how each person's belief or non belief answered that question for each of them.

So, Sibolet, you want to try again?

• Like 1

Unlike you, I haven't proposed an untestable hypothesis.

That's not a hypothesis Rlyeh, that's an axiom born out of a syllogism. But that's okay. I take it that you don't want to talk about the subject.

No, I don't. What verifiable evidence is there of a primal cause? This primal cause is just special pleading.

If the universe is everything that exists then it has always existed in some form.

The Cosmologists, almost unanimously, speak about the big bang as the beginning of the universe. If the universe had a beginning, it was only obvious that it hasn't always existed. Since it hasn't always existed and it could not have caused itself to exist, don't you think that something caused it to exist? Do you have any idea of how this happened?

That's not a hypothesis Rlyeh, that's an axiom born out of a syllogism. But that's okay. I take it that you don't want to talk about the subject.

The Cosmologists, almost unanimously, speak about the big bang as the beginning of the universe. If the universe had a beginning, it was only obvious that it hasn't always existed. Since it hasn't always existed and it could not have caused itself to exist, don't you think that something caused it to exist? Do you have any idea of how this happened?

Ok, Shibolet, you did it again! :no::angry: :angry: :angry: I guess you're implying that I can go into your threads that you started and start talking about something else, right? :gun:

And not only that, you say to Rlyeh that you see him not wanting to talk about it, you still talk about it. He has every right to believe what he does as much as you have every right to believe what you believe. And I will always feel that what you are constantly talking about is just your belief.

This thread is about everyone's personal religious and non-religious mojo, their inner strength ( if you fail to understand what mojo is) this is not about your *^&%^*&& primal cause. I told you not to talk about it in this thread. Maybe you should be lucky my mojo has a bit of inner humor and peace in me, ( I know the rest of you, yeah right Stubbs ;) )

So, yes you believe that, but you cannot force others to. That's hurting others, who have their inner belief or inner point of view that keeps them strong. I feel what you are doing is you are destroying that. In which, it's part of the points in what I feel, and part what I feel I have thought of when I started this thread. No one should try to shake that inner belief or inner sense of what they don't believe, because that is what I think keeps an individual strong in this life. I will always defend those who state what their beliefs are and know it's just their beliefs but they need it. (That goes to those who do not believe and they are strong and at peace of it as well. )

Do you understand that now?!?! Forcing your mojo onto others to strip other's mojos away, off limits in this thread!!!

I certainly hope you do now!! :gun: :gun: :gun: ........................and one more :gun: for good measure!!

• Like 1

Ok, Shibolet, you did it again! :no::angry: :angry: :angry: I guess you're implying that I can go into your threads that you started and start talking about something else, right? :gun:

And not only that, you say to Rlyeh that you see him not wanting to talk about it, you still talk about it. He has every right to believe what he does as much as you have every right to believe what you believe. And I will always feel that what you are constantly talking about is just your belief.

This thread is about everyone's personal religious and non-religious mojo, their inner strength ( if you fail to understand what mojo is) this is not about your *^&%^*&& primal cause. I told you not to talk about it in this thread. Maybe you should be lucky my mojo has a bit of inner humor and peace in me, ( I know the rest of you, yeah right Stubbs ;) )

So, yes you believe that, but you cannot force others to. That's hurting others, who have their inner belief or inner point of view that keeps them strong. I feel what you are doing is you are destroying that. In which, it's part of the points in what I feel, and part what I feel I have thought of when I started this thread. No one should try to shake that inner belief or inner sense of what they don't believe, because that is what I think keeps an individual strong in this life. I will always defend those who state what their beliefs are and know it's just their beliefs but they need it. (That goes to those who do not believe and they are strong and at peace of it as well. )

Do you understand that now?!?! Forcing your mojo onto others to strip other's mojos away, off limits in this thread!!!

I certainly hope you do now!! :gun: :gun: :gun: ........................and one more :gun: for good measure!!

My gosh! Look at the trouble I almost got in! And I thought I had just asked Rlyeh a simple question! All right lady, I got the

message and I submit my apology.

• Like 1

My gosh! Look at the trouble I almost got in! And I thought I had just asked Rlyeh a simple question! All right lady, I got the

message and I submit my apology.

Well thank you.

Now, I have seen your thread titles, read some of your posts you have started, but what does your belief do for you as a person? Not what it's suppose to be believed. What have you done in your life, that has gotten you by with your belief as a core?

I am honestly interested. But remember, this is on your aspects of your life.

Belief should be avoided; the most we should admit to is things we are by experienced very sure of, but that regardless are still opinions. When we go over the border and become a believer, we have gone too far and need to become more moderate.

I'm not sure what people here mean by "mojo." I have spent a lot of time in English-speaking countries and my only experience with it had to do with movies and the like.

• Like 1

Belief should be avoided; the most we should admit to is things we are by experienced very sure of, but that regardless are still opinions. When we go over the border and become a believer, we have gone too far and need to become more moderate.

I hear ya Frank. I do agree with you about us admitting (to be sure) the things we experience that we are very sure of. I feel I do that all of the time. I feel it's always good to acknowledge your reality all of the time, the good and the bad. We all need to be grounded in what we see all of the time, because what we see not withstanding. ( the implications of concerning that, is best left to Mikko's nice thread ;):yes: )

But the belief, that means the most to everyone, within their own heart, ( and I am talking about the point of view of not believing too) is what I feel that those use to help them, guide them, feel energized by them to partner with their grounded lives. I always feel I have an understanding of what guides you, Frank, and I am always enlightened to that. :yes:

I feel, that despite I really never 'lecture' or 'preach' or 'try to gather others into my belief world' in which I have noticed a few in my real world, I use my own belief, to keep me going. I feel, no one notices that I adhere to my own personal belief, but they only see, me just going on with my secular life. :) (That's right I defend those who doesn't preach, but feel they would be lost without their belief, because I feel that everyone has a right and a need to have what is their 'anchor' in their lives.

And I also feel that it makes me feel so happy for others and understand what makes them and their belief or non belief add to their lives.

I'm not sure what people here mean by "mojo." I have spent a lot of time in English-speaking countries and my only experience with it had to do with movies and the like.

Well, yes, Mike Meyers 'Austin Powers' and his "mojo" is something that comes quickly to my mind, when I think about it.

Granted, I ended up going to a Urban Dictionary web site to get the meaning, but I think this might give the best definition here:

Mojo

The word originally means a charm or a spell. But now its more commonly said meaning sex appeal or talent.

"I can get any girl if I just use a bit of the old mojo"

"Man, that girl has MOJO!"

"God help me, I think I've lost my mojo!"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mojo

Yeah, I am using this type of wording, to best explain what I think it means to us, what means to me. I hope I best explained it.

I haven't read all the responses in this topic yet. I just wanted to say I felt I lost my "mojo" because I felt unhappy and aimless. I'm in the process of getting it back.

• Like 2

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube....bed/FhTCYqJsfqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, we're talking!!!!! Yeeehaaaaaaaaaaw!!!

I haven't read all the responses in this topic yet. I just wanted to say I felt I lost my "mojo" because I felt unhappy and aimless. I'm in the process of getting it back.

I'm hoping like crazy you get it back!!!!!! I'll have my thoughts on you, and hope it happens soon! *mentally vibrates (((HUGS))) to little_dreamer*
  • Like 1

So "mojo" is a sort-of slang short-hand for happiness and drive and purpose, not just libido, although no doubt that is part of it. We all have such times, when we just can't even get up in the morning. It usually happens during periods of illness but sometimes during periods of grief and other sadness.

I use anti-depressants. We don't like admitting that brain chemistry is what this is. We like thinking we have more power over ourselves than that, which of course leads to others being unsympathetic and just saying, "Buck up," when in fact that is about the worst possible thing to say to someone down in the dumps.

There is a bias against using drugs for mental problems, with the idea that it is not natural, and so-called "natural" things often get hyped. This is silliness, and leads to a lot of unnecessary suffering in the world (believe me there is no suffering like the suffering of depression when it becomes a major sink-hole). There are dangers in taking medicine, and often enough they don't work and something else needs to be tried, but with common sense and moderation and good medical advice it really is the only way to go.

• Like 3

So "mojo" is a sort-of slang short-hand for happiness and drive and purpose, not just libido, although no doubt that is part of it. We all have such times, when we just can't even get up in the morning. It usually happens during periods of illness but sometimes during periods of grief and other sadness.

I use anti-depressants. We don't like admitting that brain chemistry is what this is. We like thinking we have more power over ourselves than that, which of course leads to others being unsympathetic and just saying, "Buck up," when in fact that is about the worst possible thing to say to someone down in the dumps.

There is a bias against using drugs for mental problems, with the idea that it is not natural, and so-called "natural" things often get hyped. This is silliness, and leads to a lot of unnecessary suffering in the world (believe me there is no suffering like the suffering of depression when it becomes a major sink-hole). There are dangers in taking medicine, and often enough they don't work and something else needs to be tried, but with common sense and moderation and good medical advice it really is the only way to go.

I agree with you Frank it seems strange that people wil happily take effective medicines for blood pressure or diabetes but don't like taking equally effective drugs for a mental illness. Because, after all, each is a physical illness and can generally be treated. There are different forms of depression but clinical depression, caused by a chemical imbalance, is very amenable to drug therapy. I've noticed the same bias here, where very progressive doctors, curing young people by chemical treatment are really frowned upon as being "pill happy".

Even non chemically based depression wont respond to being told to"buck up" It often needs lengthy professional counselling and mind strengthening exercises, to overcome the learned negative responses and for example lack of confidence/self esteem ..

• Like 3

I think you hit the nail in the head there, Frank. :yes: (just in case, 'hit the nail in the head' means your understood the point and drove it home!)

I think that when it comes to people's belief, and to non-believers who fellow their strong understanding of living their lives on what they feel, see, hear, and think is in front of them and it makes them happy, it is something that I wouldn't say it completes them, although it just be the case, but it is what gives them that extra 'essence' to take in life more, than it would without it. That is why I always feel that a person's belief and the religion that comes with it, should be defended and protected, within the context of what it does for them and them only. ( proselytizing, I don't get)

I think, in context to your points of drugs for emotional and mental 'illnesses', I agree with you, I do believe it should be considered about the side effects. If one needs the medications, though, upon prescription from a doctor, I think it should still be taken. I mean, I would.

But there are also other ways of dealing with it, and I get this from my observations from my own doctors. ( and that is many, being as a military wife, I have lived in various areas, and had many different doctors and they each have different diagnosis and prescriptions) Anyhow, seeing professionals, being opened to other modes of point of views, and physical practices, tend to be the prescriptions too, and they would not have the physical side effects of drugs, yes. (for some, they may not want that. I do not want to demean psychology, I do think that helps, but for me, and I'm probably very very wrong in thinking this, seeing someone gets me nervous. I'm not one to talk about what is deep down inside very easily. ((although, I did see a campus psychologist years and years ago and yes, I thought she was great, and she did help.)) but I feel some are not easy to express themselves as easy) and as a side note, I'm also inclined to not resort to medication, but I probably do not know what is best sometimes. *shrugs*.

Nevertheless, I guess, it's all very different and what work for some, don't work for others.

I do want to make it known, if you need the medication for mental and emotional disorders, you need it. If you need to see someone and practice physical exercises, you need to do it. I know the bottom line, I just know not everyone think it's for them, and they even could be not sure what is best for them, according to their doctor.

I maybe simplifying the mojo here, because this is dealing with belief. ( I shouldn't be simplifying it even in the belief context) but mojo is that drive that keeps you going in life, from my perspective. (sometimes my mojo keeps me smiling and not resorting to various imaginative tactics on people in which I may need to visit the meadowlands in Jersey on a regular basis, when dealing with my job. ;) )

If you get my drift. :D;):devil:

I really agree with you, Frank, on how others, some people, tend to just tell people to 'buck up' in which that is ignorant in my opinion. Frankly, no one should tell someone how to feel, because you cannot control your feelings. (Probably why professionals will prescribe drugs, so it's managed properly for a patient, when physically it's hard to control without them)

But a mojo is important, and I think talking about it, might make people feel a bit cool about themselves. I get interested about that. :yes:

I agree with you Frank it seems strange that people wil happily take effective medicines for blood pressure or diabetes but don't like taking equally effective drugs for a mental illness. Because, after all, each is a physical illness and can generally be treated. There are different forms of depression but clinical depression, caused by a chemical imbalance, is very amenable to drug therapy. I've noticed the same bias here, where very progressive doctors, curing young people by chemical treatment are really frowned upon as being "pill happy".

Even non chemically based depression wont respond to being told to"buck up" It often needs lengthy professional counselling and mind strengthening exercises, to overcome the learned negative responses and for example lack of confidence/self esteem ..

Yes, exactly, that is the point.

I think my point here is, someone's doctor is the best person to know what is best for their patient. Always someone to refer to, for their medical, mental, and emotional situations. If your primary doctor is not qualified for something, they are atleast qualified to refer. They would know.

Someone who pushes to tell someone how to feel, is not qualified, and ignorant to other's well being. Frankly, if I'm told that, I would just smile quietly and walk away. ( I feel someone who says this, is probably someone who cannot deal with others and their everyday behaviors and probably should be the ones walking away,) but I digress.

I take blood pressure medication and I do exercise prescribed by my doctor. ( I have lucked out, when we got back to our home state, we got a doctor who is awesome!!! And a great sense of humor to boot)

A mojo is personal, and it's great to learn how it helps each individual. To prescribe it, not so much can be done. each mojo is different in each individual.

I just think it's great to learn the effect to them. I have my own that shows my great effects.

Mojo on people!!!! :yes::w00t::tu::clap:

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 1

Well thank you.

Now, I have seen your thread titles, read some of your posts you have started, but what does your belief do for you as a person? Not what it's suppose to be believed. What have you done in your life, that has gotten you by with your belief as a core?

I am honestly interested. But remember, this is on your aspects of your life.

Well, Ma lady, you must know by now, I am Jewish. What attracts me to the forums is the Pauline gospel of Replacement Theology.

Something like an act of self-defense. Other Jews either don't care about Replacement Theology or don't like to discuss with

Christians. I became an exception to the rule although with no intension at all at conversions which is forbidden by our own

authorities.

• Like 1

Well, Ma lady, you must know by now, I am Jewish.

Yes, you would be correct in your assessment that I know you are Jewish. Hello there. :st
What attracts me to the forums is the Pauline gospel of Replacement Theology.

Something like an act of self-defense. Other Jews either don't care about Replacement Theology or don't like to discuss with

Christians. I became an exception to the rule although with no intension at all at conversions which is forbidden by our own

authorities.

Well, I think that's is good to hear, your religion forbidding conversions, but I guess I would have to think of how you are 'intense' in your goal about the primal cause. I am not saying anymore about that, just pointing out your behavior.

I have to admit, with my experiences with every person, that I am aware of being Jewish, there is no attempts at conversion. My experiences actually have been through various JW's ( Jehovna Witnesses), many Baptists, and other Christians in other categories.

Other than what you say you do, what does your belief do for you. I am not reading from your latest post of the highs on your life.

Yes, you would be correct in your assessment that I know you are Jewish. Hello there. :st Well, I think that's is good to hear, your religion forbidding conversions, but I guess I would have to think of how you are 'intense' in your goal about the primal cause. I am not saying anymore about that, just pointing out your behavior.

I have to admit, with my experiences with every person, that I am aware of being Jewish, there is no attempts at conversion. My experiences actually have been through various JW's ( Jehovna Witnesses), many Baptists, and other Christians in other categories.

Other than what you say you do, what does your belief do for you. I am not reading from your latest post of the highs on your life.

It keeps me safe from the consequences of disobeying the laws.

• Like 1

It keeps me safe from the consequences of disobeying the laws.

Okay Okay :yes: That is interesting.