Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Species 'Centipede from Hell' Found

Still Waters

Lurking in some of the world's deepest caves is the aptly named Hades centipede, just discovered in Croatia.

The centipede, whose name refers to the Greek god of the underworld, is a top predator in caves that are located nearly 4,700 feet beneath the Earth's surface.

http://news.discover...aves-150630.htm

• Like 1

Great article! Thanks!

I was completely unaware of any of this until you pointed-it-out. From the article, I also like...

"The deep underground world is one of the next frontiers for science exploration, since we know very little about the species that dwell down there. Traveling to such depths is a challenge, making the Hades and Persephone discoveries all the more remarkable."

omg just reading the title almost gave me a heart attack

i remembered some video on youtube that centipede moving at like 30km/h and the movie Human Centipede and Centipede vs X insects video on youtube, all at once :S

sod that . keep that below the ground where its suppose to be . so many new creatures our being found lately . intresting but then creepy

Not as scary looking as I thought.... But man centipedes in my mind are like the scariest bug ever. Way more disgusting than spiders.

These creepy crawlies TOTALLY ruin the romance and adventure of caves for me. I would bug bomb any cave system I might decide to explore first before entering. Also, to flush out any flesh eating troglodyte evolutionary throwbacks living in it, so no "The Descent" movie scenarios.

• Like 1

It's a pretty tiny arthropod... looks to be an inch or so in length. From the name, I was expecting something the size of the Giant Texas Red-headed Centipede

(note: if bugs make you nervous, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK) http://www.whatsthat...ede-from-texas/

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 2

I don't see it?

Agreed. Centipedes are way creepier than spiders. And would not want to ever see one of these any bigger than an inch.

It's a pretty tiny arthropod... looks to be an inch or so in length. From the name, I was expecting something the size of the Giant Texas Red-headed Centipede

(note: if bugs make you nervous, DO NOT CLICK THE LINK) http://www.whatsthat...ede-from-texas/

My god, that is an abomination. I love how the poster to that web site all acted nonchalant like he just found a little rolly polly in the grass as opposed to a multicolored horror show with hundreds of legs.

P.S. - I love rolly pollies, they are so cute.

You just gave my another reason not to avoid Texas

Damn thats nasty

I wonder if there's much more to that Eco system............... Is there something bigger that eats the centipedes? That's a scarier thought than the centipedes xx

I was expecting something more like this:

14216117470_39533c5234.jpg

That was a fun boss to slay Dark Souls. :)

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad to me. I was expecting something much more spiny and big. And even though it is not classified as a centipede, the extinct Hallucigenia sparsa will always have my vote for "Creepy Crawly that most likely came from the pits of Hell." This specimen doesn't look quite as nightmarish as that thing.

These creepy crawlies TOTALLY ruin the romance and adventure of caves for me. I would bug bomb any cave system I might decide to explore first before entering. Also, to flush out any flesh eating troglodyte evolutionary throwbacks living in it, so no "The Descent" movie scenarios.

HAHA i loved this, you'd be the only scientist to only discover DEAD new species :)