Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Zealand Sheep ratio falls

Subtemperate

It may be time to retire the sheep jokes.

Statistics New Zealand this week broke the news that the national flock had fallen to a mere 39 million at June 30, its lowest since numbers peaked in 1982 at 70.3 million.

For the record, there are just over 4.06 million humans in New Zealand, meaning there are now less than 10 sheep for every person.

By comparison, Australia had 103 million sheep at the end of June - also near historic lows - and an estimated population today of 20.23 million, leaving Australians outnumbered by sheep five to one.

New Zealand's ovine population has long made it the butt of jokes.

"When I was growing up in the '70s we were known as the country of 60 million sheep and three million people," said Graeme Peters of the Federated Farmers of New Zealand.

The federation says the elimination of agriculture subsidies in the 1980s is behind the decline.

"Prior to 1985 ... it didn't really matter what you produced as long as it had four legs," North Island lamb farmer Ian Corney said.

He said the change produced more efficient farming, with a greater tonnage of lamb meat produced from a smaller flock, whose numbers were now likely to stabilise or even grow.

Recently released estimates bear that out, indicating more than three million extra spring lambs bouncing around the paddocks compared with last year.

"(We're) farming more smarter so therefore the export volume is going out."

Mr Corney also said a lot of land once grazed by sheep was now dedicated to dairy cattle or pine plantations.

However, he did not expect Australians to stop telling sheep jokes about Kiwis.

"We don't take any notice of them, just as long as you don't talk cricket at the present moment," he said, referring to Australia's two-nil whitewash of the Black Caps.

The Age

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kismit

• Subtemperate

• Shadowsleet

• dazdillinjah

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe now NZ will be associated with something other than those things introduced from overseas, like maybe our beautiful landscape or maybe our rugby team (All Blacks) ANYTHING but not sheep Hahahaha tongue.gif

you know what the funny thing is... ozzy has more sheep per person than kiwi land does (and always has done too).... plus they tell the same jokes about us that we do about them....

it's baaaa-aaaad

you know what the funny thing is... ozzy has more sheep per person than kiwi land does

At lease we can say "Fish and chips" correctly laugh.gif

No tigger, we have 5 per person, they have just under 10 per person....

We however do have many more sheep....

Nope....sheep it will be wink2.giflaugh.gif

381398[/snapback]

LOLZ ... (was gonna say BAH !!! hehehe) but instead I'll say WAAAH crying.gif LOLZ

At lease we can say "Fish and chips" correctly

I can only urge you all Australian and Kiwi a like to never ask the other to say "Fish 'n' Chips " . It's damned unnecessary torture and wears thin after the first 10 people have said it .

Maybe now NZ will be associated with something other than those things introduced from overseas, like maybe our beautiful landscape or maybe our rugby team (All Blacks)

The landscape is breathtaking , A small island in the middle of a crystal blue Pacific ocean enhanced by a backdrop of mountain ranges formed by long dormant volcanos and then topped with snow . Not to mention the endless acres of green fields and pastures filled with freakin sheep.

Subby , Baaaa!!! tongue.gif

AliceCoopersgirl, I lost my smilie sad.gif do you know where I can find another ?

Edited by Kismit

Now some smart person will use the New Zealand sheep shortage to start a million-dollar internet dating empire; I'm sure.. wink2.gif

New zealand is a beautiful country with breath taking land scapes but it shall always be remembered for its sheep throughout human history!

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Now some smart person will use the New Zealand sheep shortage to start a million-dollar internet dating empire

Oddly enough if you read the title of this topic it actually says , New zealand sheep ratio falls for Kismit What I want to know is who is this handsome Ratio , and how will I spot him in the crowed . huh.gif

i must admist nz as a beautiful place.. and the scenery changes where-ever you drive... desert like plains in the south island.. rolling pastures, mountains, lakes.. hot-pools.. there is a lot of diversity there

and yes.. there are sheep.. (i had to take a 'token' sheep shot for my mate when i went there.... sad but true)

Scotland doesn't have sheep....well...not many anyway. Instead, we have gigantic hairy cows...like this gentleman here.

user posted image

(from http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/ )

Scotland has been known to produce things bigger and hairier than the rest of the world.

It is only after typing this comment that, if it were to be taken the wrong way, it could be interpreted as very wrong indeed.

Scotland has been known to produce things bigger and hairier than the rest of the world.

We shall let Moe know this , for he is cornering the former fur coat market with a new range of body hair jackets and cardis.

Actually living in a small country town which obviously has lots of farm land around it I can inform you that we have , deer , horses , emu's and cattle as well as stock (sheep) . We actually have 3 highland cows just like that wee bovine Shadowsleet posted.

oh and chickens .

You stole our cows!? dontgetit.gif

You should meet Talon. I think you'd like him.

I have met Talon , I once called him a geek . He found this most complimentry .

Now what's the freakin topic again .

I like sheep.. they are cute and fuzzy.

blah we all know the reason why the ratio has fallen, the New Zealand government is only counting sheep that haven't been married:)

the New Zealand government is only counting sheep that haven't been married:)

Austrailians, there's a little convict in every-one. w00t.gif

Edited by Kismit

Kismit has the best of both worlds...... She has a little convict, and is a sheep.......

grin2.gif