Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human eyes possess an extra 'hidden sense'

UM-Bot

Scientists have revealed that our eyes possess an ability that most people aren't even aware of.

A new study has revealed that the human eye is capable of seeing polarized light, an ability that has been more traditionally associated with vision in animals such as bees, ants and fish.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/283208/human-eyes-possess-an-extra-hidden-sense

I only see yellow :(

Fascinating.

Huh, I've never heard of any of this before, such as the "Haidinger's brushes" effect occurring for some people.

Great read. I'll have to try it sometime to see where I fit on the scale.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I only see yellow :(

Yep, it's only yellow for me too. Just did it.

• Like 1

WOOO!! I'm a mutant!

Man ... I wanted telekineses or something cooler as a power.

Edited by BeastieRunner
  • Like 1

I'm guessing this is what people are seeing when they think they are seeing "auras"

• Like 1

I see something, but it doesn't look like brushes to me. Then again after cataract surgery the whole world looked different. I'm able to see further down into the UV region than before.

• Like 1

Cool! I see only yellow, too!

I see something, but it doesn't look like brushes to me. Then again after cataract surgery the whole world looked different. I'm able to see further down into the UV region than before.

Didn't the same thing happen to Claude Monet?

But how does it work!?

I'm guessing this is what people are seeing when they think they are seeing "auras"

Uh... no.

Entirely different thing.

Well, "brushes" meaning that it's not a distinct "line"

What I see is a yellow "wash", angled and somewhat convoluted... very "brush-like"

Edit: In my case, no more than a 1-inch wide, 1-inch curve of "brushing" yellow. Then it stops.

Kind-of "feathering"

Edited by pallidin

It appears not to be optically retentive... it seems to go away very quickly.

What this effect is supposed to mean (other than the suggestion in the article) I have no idea as to it's "meaning" in today's world. Interesting, though.

Edited by pallidin

BooHoo, I can't get my eyes to see anything remotely resembling the description in the OP, except maybe a vague area a bit darker (on the yellowish side, I must admit) in the centre of my vision when I move my head side to side. Nothing I would ever notice unless looking for it - but is this it?

• Like 1

BooHoo, I can't get my eyes to see anything remotely resembling the description in the OP, except maybe a vague area a bit darker (on the yellowish side, I must admit) in the centre of my vision when I move my head side to side. Nothing I would ever notice unless looking for it - but is this it?

That would be it. It's faint and goes away somewhat quickly it seems(to me)

Does any one know why, say, I see only yellow and not blue?

Does that mean something (That I'm not also seeing the blue), such as a propensity for eye problems or whatever?

Or is that aspect "natural" and mean nothing.

Edited by pallidin

I can't even see any of these Haidinger Brushes.

Are you tilting and moving your head at the same time, while looking at a white LCD screen(not CRT)?

The head tilting and motion should be like your head moving in a curve... not just to the side.

if you stare at an object, say at a metal light pole during the day, look about an inch away from the pole and you can see light reflecting off of the pole.

if you stare at an object, say at a metal light pole during the day, look about an inch away from the pole and you can see light reflecting off of the pole.

Peripheral vision? Or are you referring to something else?