Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Horizons Spacecraft Suffers Anomaly

Waspie_Dwarf

New Horizons Team Responds to Spacecraft Anomaly

July 4, 2015

The New Horizons spacecraft experienced an anomaly this afternoon that led to a loss of communication with Earth. Communication has since been reestablished and the spacecraft is healthy.

The mission operations center at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Laurel, Maryland, lost contact with the unmanned spacecraft -- now 10 days from arrival at Pluto -- at 1:54 p.m. EDT, and regained communications with New Horizons at 3:15 p.m. EDT, through NASA’s Deep Space Network.

arrow3.gifRead more...

phew

• Like 1

NO!!!!

There will be NO errors with this mission! I have been patiently waiting for New Horizons to fly by Pluto for years and I will NOT tolerate ANY errors!!!

• Like 6

Wow.... I have been waiting for this for 9 years!! Bummer if it failed at the gate.

• Like 1

No failure, folks.

The probe has obviously found clear evidence of E.T. activity around Pluto and NASA was ordered to suppress it.

'Communications failure' indeed.

Clearly someone, or something, is taking control of that probe...

On another subject, if you can send a signal to a probe near Pluto, i dont really want to be near that antenna... imagine the power of that laser o.O

if you can send a signal to a probe near Pluto, i dont really want to be near that antenna... imagine the power of that laser o.O

What laser? They communicate with New Horizons using another technology you may have heard of, it's called radio.

• Like 6

This would be a real heart breaker for all the men and women who have worked so long on this mission. Hoping for the best of luck to them and thankfully they have 10 days till CPA.

• Like 2

strange how Nasa found Dark spots on Pluto and soon as the probe gets there, there is a failure? really come on !! enough for the cover ups, millions believe life is out there, tell the truth, its 2015 people will understand, religion is down the drain anyways so why not tell us

• Like 1

strange how Nasa found Dark spots on Pluto and soon as the probe gets there, there is a failure? really come on !! enough for the cover ups,

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Send a seven hundred million dollar probe on a nine year, three billion mile mission just to turn it off at the last minute because we see something new on the surface of Pluto. Makes perfect sense and no one will know if NH is actually still doing science while NASA is reporting it to be off-line. How could they as there are just a few thousand people, many from other countries, plugged into it. Yeah, that secret would never get out.

millions believe life is out there, tell the truth, its 2015 people will understand, religion is down the drain anyways so why not tell us

Actually billions believe life is out there, including the head of NASA, most just don't believe it is working in a lab in the desert southwest of the US. You see the former is a very strong hypothesis based on the best science to date and observations from various observatories, both space and earth-bound and the latter is a stupid inanity. Which one are you referring to?

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 4

Obviously it's the Plutonian's fault... They are still ticked off that we demoted them to Dwarf status... Not to mention their neighbors on Charon... who were demoted even further...

just kidding... As an automation technician, I can appreciate how hard it is to keep a computer running for 9 years straight...I really hope this gets sorted out before the flyby...

BTW... I've got two guys in my shop who are really good at fixing computers, and I wouldn't mind volunteering them for a service call... (They are a higher pay grade than me, and this

could open up a few slots for promotions!)

A good reboot probably will fix the issue. And ten days should be enough to get it going... Hopefully.

I'm looking forward to those pics. th_smiley_camera.gif

• Like 1

The Fungi from Pluto/Yuggoth (aka Mi-Go) shut it down because we were getting to close to their base.

I really hope they get it back up and running to record data! Can't wait to get data back from Pluto!

New Horizons Plans July 7 Return to Normal Science Operations

July 5, 2015

NASA's New Horizons mission is returning to normal science operations after a July 4 anomaly and remains on track for its July 14 flyby of Pluto.

The investigation into the anomaly that caused New Horizons to enter "safe mode" on July 4 has concluded that no hardware or software fault occurred on the spacecraft. The underlying cause of the incident was a hard-to-detect timing flaw in the spacecraft command sequence that occurred during an operation to prepare for the close flyby. No similar operations are planned for the remainder of the Pluto encounter.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

New Horizons Plans July 7 Return to Normal Science Operations

Good

• Like 1

I somehow missed this error and now that I know it's not even a problem anymore! That is great that New Horizons isn't failed as feared during the communications issue. That would be a damn shame if the systems gridlocked right at the moment of closest approach. If that were so then I'd be suspicious of some non-human activities on Pluto or that Pluto isn't a natural object but some sort of alien space station.

NASA's New Horizons on Track for Pluto Flyby

Science Operations to Resume for On Time Encounter

July 6, 2015

The recovery from a July 4 anomaly that sent the New Horizons spacecraft into safe mode is proceeding according to plan, with the mission team preparing to return to normal science operations on time on July 7.

Mission managers reported during a July 6 media teleconference that NASA's New Horizons spacecraft resumed operations on its main computer overnight. The sequence of commands for the Pluto flyby have now been uplinked to the spacecraft, and full, as-planned science observations of Pluto, its moons and the solar winds will resume at 12:34 p.m. EDT July 7.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Cant wait for the photos. Better clarity than Hubble, and the first close look at this planet, a moment in history. Looks good from what I have seen so far, a rather mottled appearance.

Hey Waspie, would there be enough light on Pluto to wander around without a torch? If man was to (hypothetically) land there that is?

I am continually amazed that Mars seems to have such bright sunny days.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Hey Waspie, would there be enough light on Pluto to wander around without a torch? If man was to (hypothetically) land there that is?

Absolutely. Sun light on Pluto is 250 times brighter than a full moon on Earth.

• Like 2

When I saw this, it made me spit my gum out. I had a flashback remembering that someone had predicted that NASA would find a way to conceal some of the information collected on this mission. LOL, the plot thickens.

I was thinking about that probe that went to Mars and they lost contact due to unit conversion to metric. At that distance you don't just round off.....