Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Son Died By Lighting Fireworks On His Head

Michelle

Devon Staples, 22, was killed instantly this past 4th of July weekend after he attempted to light a firework off the top of his head. Staples became the first firework-related fatality in Maine since the state first legalized fireworks back in 2012. While some may see Staples’ unfortunate accident as a nominee for the Darwin Awards, his mother, Kathleen Staples, sees it as a call for stricter laws regarding who can and cannot handle explosives.

"At least it'd be a little bit more than, 'Here you go,'" the grieving mother told the Associated Press. "That's an explosive. They didn't just hand me a license and put me in the car."

According to authorities, Staples had been drinking with some friends at a friend’s home in Calais, Maine this past Saturday night when the group went out to the back deck to light fireworks. Staples died after a reloadable firework mortar tube exploded on the top of his head. Staples’ friends and his older brother Cory Staples said they tried to dissuade him, but he ended up going through with his fateful decision.

cont...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/her-son-died-by-lighting-fireworks-on-his-head-now-she-wants-stricter-laws/ar-AAcGx67

• Like 1

I think eugenics is the only system that has a chance of curbing this type of downright stupidity.

But I can see where the son got it from, the mother doesn't appear that bright either.

• Like 4

:mellow:
  • Like 2

Wait... I thought the guy put the TUBE atop his head to launch the mortar shell. Did they imply that he lit the actual round? If that's the case then exactly HOW drunk was he? I've been so hammered that I literally didn't know what day it was but I NEVER considered such a thing. Wow... just, wow. The only positive is that he probably never felt a thing.

• Like 8

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3153039/Postal-worker-30-dies-setting-firework-CHEST.html

Oh look, here's another one. Lit a firework on his chest ........ killed him. This fellow had a three-year-old child. :hmm:

• Like 2

Well, at least he set an example of what NOT to do with fireworks.... AAaaaaaaannnnndddd we've got another one. - Texas Man Hurt, Dies After Shooting Fireworks From Chest

http://www.dailymail...work-CHEST.html

Oh look, here's another one. Lit a firework on his chest ........ killed him. This fellow had a three-year-old child. :hmm:

@ ouija ouija - Ha Jinx!!!

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 2

You want stricter laws? Look how stupid your son was! He was an idiot and obviously should have known better. Stupidity shouldn't create stricter laws. KEEP FIREWORKS AWAY FROM YOUR BODY.

• Like 9

No law will fix this. I know the mom is grieving and unwilling to accept how stupid her kids is but something thing dumb doesn't need a call to action. Fireworks are illegal here in Pa. We just drive 45 minutes and get them in Ohio. Strangley, they can be sold here but not to residents. Not my logic... I'm not the fan of fireworks that I once was. For quite a few years a friend had a 4th of July party and we'd go to Ohio and a few of us would go in on several hundred dollars worth. After a couple years I was sick of the same people showing up but the few of us were always the only ones chipping in. One year I was suddenly broke. ;) That was only part of the reason though. Frankly, I didn't want any responsibility because every year people were getting dumber and more careless and just acting like idiots and aholes with the fireworks. Really they were doing the dumbest things and being so stupid especially with mortars. The final year we went my wife and I were reluctant to go but did. One, we were tired of the idiots. Two, the fourth was in the middle of the week and they had the party the following weekend. Neighbors are far less tolerant after the holiday. Three, it hasn't rained forever and it was hot and dry as can be. Of course, I stood with the crowd as I wanted nothing to do with it. These guys were paying no attention to the setup and layout and were just lighting them off at random without care. A good handful of drunk morons at least. No order. Just running amongst eachother lighting off as much as they could. All chaos. A bottle rocket shot straight at the crowd but we didn't know it because his pool blocked it caught the cover on fire. Fireworks were flying into the woods like crazy at the end of his property. Remember, dry as a bone outside. Can't believe nothing caught on fire there. It was easy to see how uncomfortable everyone was in the crowd. I couldn't wait for it to be over. Then a mortar flys straight towards the crowd and exploded not too far from us, somehow. One more second and we'd have all been injured. I was pssed. Thankfully, my wish came true and the cops showed up for the first time in six or seven years of this annual party and it was a relief that it was over. There was something in the air all day even before we went that my wife and I just knew this party has had its time and wasn't going to end well. Some of the things throughout the years you'd just have to see to believe how dumb everyone was. Not as dumb as the op though but close. So bottom line folks... If you have a bunch of fireworks try to plan the layout, the order, take notice of your surroundings and be a freaking adult about it. They are dangerous as hell.

• Like 5

Fireworks warnings.

USE COMMON SENSE

Common sense is important when using fireworks. Read all warning labels and follow directions on each firework device and understand the product performance of each item.

ADULTS ONLY

Children should not handle, play with, or light fireworks. Adults should handle and light all fireworks to insure their proper use.

JUST SAY NO

Do not consume alcoholic beverages while lighting fireworks. If you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you increase the possibility of misuse and injury to yourself and others near you.

HARD, FLAT & LEVEL

To insure stability of the firework, always light on a hard, flat, and level surface to prevent an item from tipping over. If lighting on grass, use a flat wooden board as a shooting surface.

KEEP YOUR DISTANCE

Use fireworks outdoors in a clear, open area away from buildings and vehicles. Avoid dry grass and brush that could catch fire or near any flammable items. Spectators, especially children, should remain a safe distance away from the shooting area, generally 25-40 feet for fountains and ground based items and 75-100 yards for aerial product. If windy conditions exist, fireworks should be lit with the prevailing wind blowing away from the audience.

HEADS UP

Never put your head or any part of your body over a firework. Never look into a tube to inspect a firework. Never hold a lit firework in your hand.

cont...

http://www.tntfireworks.com/safety

• Like 5

I'm not going to investigate enough to find this stuff out myself.

Was he drunk when he bought the fireworks?

He was 22 years old, so even if they had some restrictions in place, he would be sold the fireworks.

While what he did was really stupid, I understand what his thoughts were. These mortar tubes are used where you light the mortar and drop it in and it fires into the sky and blows up. Typically the tube is not damaged at all. In this case the mortar did not fly from the tube and it exploded inside.

• Like 1

Seems a sound solution to an obvious problem. I hope she finds someone who helps get that law enacted.

Maine legalised Fireworks to the general public in 2012??

Why???

This was just an eventuality when that silly law was enacted.

Yeah, I tend to agree with that Psyche. They should have left the law alone. Some of those fireworks are nothing but little bombs. My state was talking about legalizing them.

What this poor kid did was stupid. I cannot imagine the horror of his friends and family to have witnessed it. I think the guy was just trying to be funny. But, fireworks are incredibly dangerous.....anyhow, the law just allows anyone (over legal age) to buy and use them as they see fit. Hell, I think some areas have more restriction on buying spray paint than an incidenary explosive device.

. They should have left the law alone.

laws do not stop anyone, fireworks are illegal in nyc , always have been, yet i saw thousands of them go off from my highrise window, entire brooklyn as far as i could see, had fireworks on every other block. on the 4th

also, my summer house is in upstate ny, fireworks are illegal there too, iirc they are in entire ny state, yet walmart there was filled with fireworks, they were never sold in that store before yet this year they are, i'm not aware of them become legal in my state, so i can't really understand how they were sold openly in walmart.

Edited by aztek

laws do not stop anyone, fireworks are illegal in nyc , always have been, yet i saw thousands of them go off from my highrise window, entire brooklyn as far as i could see, had fireworks on every other block. on the 4th

also, my summer house is in upstate ny, fireworks are illegal there too, iirc they are in entire ny state, yet walmart there was filled with fireworks, they were never sold in that store before yet this year they are, i'm not aware of them become legal in my state, so i can't really understand how they were sold openly in walmart.

You have a summer house?

• Like 2

You have a summer house?

yes, it is actually 3 seasons house, but we call it a summer house. we flush pipes, sewage, and seal it for the winter.

• Like 1

Devon Staples, 22, was killed instantly this past 4th of July weekend after he attempted to light a firework off the top of his head.

I couldn't help but laugh at the sheer stupid of this moron. Well, one less floater in the gene pool.

• Like 1

If you're stupid enough to ignite what is basically a bomb on ANY part of your body, you deserve exactly what happens to you. I don't care how drunk you are.

• Like 1

Yeah, I tend to agree with that Psyche. They should have left the law alone. Some of those fireworks are nothing but little bombs. My state was talking about legalizing them.

Cheers mate. I really cannot fathom why the ban was quashed. Most of the civilised world banned them in the 70's and 80's. I remember Fireworks nights as a small child, and I remember a very small cracker going off in my hand that was faulty. The accidents were not only numerous but even today, expert have serious accidents with fireworks, often resulting in death. This is a community step backwards.

What this poor kid did was stupid. I cannot imagine the horror of his friends and family to have witnessed it. I think the guy was just trying to be funny. But, fireworks are incredibly dangerous.....anyhow, the law just allows anyone (over legal age) to buy and use them as they see fit. Hell, I think some areas have more restriction on buying spray paint than an incidenary explosive device.

Exactly, and for all the people here calling for Darwin Awards, I would ask if any single one of them could raise their hand to say they have never done something stupid. I know I have, and most people I know have. Fireworks+Alcohol+Kids=Disaster. This is simply a stupid tragedy and more will ensue if the law is not retracted. I cannot believe that nobody has even considered re-enacting the ban.

But another gun, that'll fix it!! LOL.

• Like 1

If you're stupid enough to ignite what is basically a bomb on ANY part of your body, you deserve exactly what happens to you. I don't care how drunk you are.

Isn't it even stupider to give every man and his dog access to explosive devices? There is an idiot in every crowd, and people get hurt as a result.

• Like 1

i was surprised when they legalized fireworks sales here in Michigan a few years back. Now there are fireworks stores and stands all over the place. Loaded with with boxes and boxes of Explosives.

I don't like the idea of banning things.... but, a lot of the stuff you can buy now is VERY dangerous. They cause quite a few grass fires etc. too.

• Like 1

i was surprised when they legalized fireworks sales here in Michigan a few years back. Now there are fireworks stores and stands all over the place. Loaded with with boxes and boxes of Explosives.

I don't like the idea of banning things.... but, a lot of the stuff you can buy now is VERY dangerous. They cause quite a few grass fires etc. too.

I do not have a problem at all with banning things, in a community rules are essential and the greater good mitigates any disappointment.

• Like 2

I do not have a problem at all with banning things, in a community rules are essential and the greater good mitigates any disappointment.

Banning alcohol for the greater good worked so well.

Generally when there is a market for something, it's getting brought or sold whether it's legal or not. And when it's illegal, it's even more dangerous (i.e no regulations on the product)

• Like 6

I feel sorry for the family,but the Darwin award should go to the brother and friends...

If my lil bro tried something like that there wouldnt be any TRYING to talk him out of it!

• Like 2