Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Son Died By Lighting Fireworks On His Head

Michelle

It's sad what happened, but the rest of use shouldn't pay the princess because of some people misusing some thing, like fireworks etc etc.

Ok, so we are going to outlaw the sale of everything that is 'dangerous' or 'deadly' when used in a manor OTHER then the way you are supposed to use it?

ummm I can't think of much I couldn't 'accidentally' kill someone with that is sold everyday across the world......

and it is MUCH safer to have real fireworks then to have to resort to 'homemade' devices when you want to have a fireworks show.

YES!!

Why the bloody hell not??

If something is extremely dangerous and deadly, it should not be available to everyone! This mentality of "I use my "insert what you want here" safely!! Why should I miss out"? is just crazy talk!! You live in a freaking community.

You guys just do not seem to "get it" Society can only move as fast as it's slowest person. They will always be the handbrake. It is why you can HAVE a sportscar (F3SS) but you have to stick within the speed limit, why? BECAUSE THAT PRICK JOHN GOT DRUNK AND KILLED A DOZEN PEOPLE ON A HORRIFIC ACCIDENT!! That is why!! THANKS JOHN !!!!! Now I cannot drive at 200kph!! Ridiculous, but that is life isn't it!!

Hey, why not legalise Rocket Launchers!! Those who get them will only use them responsibly and nobody will get hurt I am sure of it!!

It is why most of the REST of the civilised world has banned Fireworks. It is why they were banned in that state until 2012!!

You guys need to get over yourselves. If you want a nuclear weapon, you can't just have it, if you want a rocket launcher, you cannot just have it, if you want explosives you can't just have them. We live in a society, if you wish to remain in a society, then you need to follow guidelines that suit the majority of people and offer a safe environment. If you disagree, become a hermit in the woods, nobody will miss a person with that outlook.

It is also destroying a specialized industry and putting good people out of work who KNOW how to handle explosives, and even THEY get killed from time to time despite extensive training!! Save it for professionals, given proper training and licensed to do so!

Not only that, a firework is a very easy way to inadvertently start a serious fire!! The risks are endless!! Even a health hazard! China even did a study on it!!

When they explode they release carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and particulate matter which are known pollutants, and generally try to avoid breathing in. The study I mentioned from China found high concentrations of PM2.5 — the particulate matter most dangerous to human health which was directly linked to the fireworks-heavy New Year’s celebrations. The study concluded that:

We have found that air quality is seriously affected by this human activity and the effects are much greater than we previously thought. It is time to alert the public to the negative effects of our cultural customs

LINK to Study.

Not only that, but these are explosives, this young man died because the product malfunctioned, it could have hurt any person i this vicinity, this poor unfortunate fellow got drunk and picked the one faulty product. Had the product been up to standard, he would be here to foolishly comment today.

The Royal College of Optometrists claims that 10 people a year lose their sight through fireworks, and in 2005 (the last year in which statistics were recorded) the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents found that almost 1,000 people were injured by fireworks. But hey screw them, it will ruin my party huh? Not like it will happen to me, or hurt someone that I know.

I just do not get this selfish and totally foolish line of thought - I WANT it, so I AM going to have it, forget rules, common sense or other people I WANT IT.

There is a reason they were banned to begin with!!! What idiotic moronic politician bowed to public pressure to weakly re-enact something that is costing lives???? Gosh for all the terrible remarks I hear about US politician's you sure do not mind them when you are forcing them to do what you want them to do.

I am still wondering if you pro people are actually serious. Can a person be that self centered?????

• Like 1

Lighting a firework in your hands is stupid. Lighting an extremely powerful firework on your head is deadly, obviously. He may not have deserved to die but he certainly asked for it. Banning things over acts like that is ridiculous. I suppose our sports cars should be banned. They are technically useless and not intended for practical use. They have the ability to reach high speeds dangerously fast. There's really no point to them besides personal enjoyment and since they are dangerous beyond reason from a practical standpoint they should be banned because sometimes people don't respect the wheel that they're behind and kill themselves because of it. What's the difference psyche?

The difference??

Speed limits. Ever heard of 'em?

Special tracks for racing and performance testing - ever heard of them??

A Motor sport - surely you have heard of that??

A speed limit tells a person to drive safely. A guideline would put explosives only in the hands of trained professionals.

What's the problem with that solution F3SS?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I guess I'm in the middle. I don't think his actions made it so he deserved to die. I explained earlier why.

I don't have an issue with these being legal. The purpose is entertainment. The purpose of a speedboat is entertainment. There is also danger involved. The purpose of a go cart is entertainment. The purpose of a trampoline, a pool or a mini bike is all entertainment.

With a speedboat you have a license, you have to know how to handle a boat safely, same thing with Fireworks,. A Go Cart goes on a Go Cart Track, you do not drive it through your neighbourhood, you take it to a special track where you are a registered member, you wear helmets and safety gear, you are trained in the operation and have to show you are competent. You do not let children go on a trampoline under a certain age unsupervised, same with a pool and only a complete moron would hand a child a mini bike with no training and say - here ya go, have at it. That would result in death very often if it was the case, and the odd case where that does happen does often result in death.

That is the same thing as making trained professionals the sole handler of all explosives.

And each of those has been involved with deaths and each of those serve no practical purpose. I don't disagree with the amplified dangers of fireworks as stated in a way earlier post but banning things on the grounds that they serve no practical purpose is, you guessed it, a slippery slope.

Banned to the general public and making licensed handlers be solely responsible for initiating any display.

You do realise that the rest of the world tends to utilise this aspect of common sense?? My kids still see a fireworks display about 5 times a year, but they have never lit one, and unless they become licensed never will - what's the problem with that? They still get the enjoyment, they still get to ohh and ahh, but they are safe as they can be. Do you feel adding the element of danger makes the risk of "lighting it yourself" worthwhile or enhances the display? And notably will be used at celebrations where Alcohol is very likely to be a factor?? What does that offer that makes this man's life worth losing?

Edited by psyche101

With a speedboat you have a license, you have to know how to handle a boat safely,

No you don't. Not in the US.

It's sad what happened, but the rest of use shouldn't pay the princess because of some people misusing some thing, like fireworks etc etc.

Whilst he misused the firework, that was not the reason he died. He died because the firework was faulty, had it been in perfect working order he may only be bald today.

Nobody seem to acknowledge that fact. Everyone just wants to feel big and important and say how they would not do what he did. Which I personally simply do not believe. Alcohol makes many stupid things seem like a good idea at the time and fireworks are used at celebrations. Keeping Alcohol and explosives apart seems a no brainer to me.

No you don't. Not in the US.

Seriously????

In all of the US - you do not have to have a license for a speedboat???

I am happy to stand corrected on that fact, but I do not understand it. Do you have rules on the water at all? Here you can even lose your car licence if drinking while driving a boat. As well as your boat license.

No licenses?? Are there speed limits?

ETA Thanks for letting me know, I learned something new, although disturbing!!

You really do not have boat licences???

Edited by psyche101

The old "rest of the world" guilt trip. Psyche, this guy did something so absurdly stupid that it is beyond reason to even consider it to be a case for outlawing and is absurd to argue that it is. And you don't need a license to drive a boat, not in Pa at least.

Whilst he misused the firework, that was not the reason he died. He died because the firework was faulty, had it been in perfect working order he may only be bald today.

Nobody seem to acknowledge that fact. Everyone just wants to feel big and important and say how they would not do what he did. Which I personally simply do not believe. Alcohol makes many stupid things seem like a good idea at the time and fireworks are used at celebrations. Keeping Alcohol and explosives apart seems a no brainer to me.

Was the firework faulty or did he jam it in the tube wrong? Those things are an imperfect ball with a long fuse that you cannot just jam in. You hold the fuse and drop the mortar into the tube and it should go in effortlessly and be able to free be pulled up and down by the fuse before lighting. Jamming it or getting part of the wick bunched up will result in a firework exploding on your head. And some people are just plain idiots sometimes alcohol or not.

• Like 1

Seriously????

In all of the US - you do not have to have a license for a speedboat???

I am happy to stand corrected on that fact, but I do not understand it. Do you have rules on the water at all? Here you can even lose your car licence if drinking while driving a boat. As well as your boat license.

No licenses?? Are there speed limits?

ETA Thanks for letting me know, I learned something new, although disturbing!!

You really do not have boat licences???

Yes, we do have rules on the water and you will be arrested if caught drinking and driving a boat. You have to pay to register a boat and renew it yearly, but anyone can buy one and take it out without any knowledge at all.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

Was the firework faulty or did he jam it in the tube wrong? Those things are an imperfect ball with a long fuse that you cannot just jam in. You hold the fuse and drop the mortar into the tube and it should go in effortlessly and be able to free be pulled up and down by the fuse before lighting. Jamming it or getting part of the wick bunched up will result in a firework exploding on your head. And some people are just plain idiots sometimes alcohol or not.

Every source I have seen states it was faulty, anything else is pure conjecture.

The old "rest of the world" guilt trip. Psyche, this guy did something so absurdly stupid that it is beyond reason to even consider it to be a case for outlawing and is absurd to argue that it is. And you don't need a license to drive a boat, not in Pa at least.

A lot of people do things outrageously stupid, that is what I said earlier, in a community, we have to walk at the pace of the slowest person. It is what being in a community is all about.

I didn't see the comment as a guilt trip, but more an illustration of how many others see the practise as foolish for the general public. Quite a lot.

I am just stunned at no license for a speedboat, that too is not the general rule. And something I think is just crazy.

That doesn't make it any less absurd as I said before but it'd be hard to tell after that thing blew wether it fired prematurely or he stuffed it in wrong. I doubt there was a forensic investigation though. It's probably people not thinking things through like I just did and just assuming it was a faulty firework because it exploded in the tube.

Yes, we do have rules on the water and you will be arrested if caught drinking and driving a boat. You have to pay to register a boat and renew it yearly, but anyone can buy a one and take it out without any knowledge at all.

Thank you very much for the local information. It seems nuts to me though, Speedboats move at an incredible pace, and people die on them. You do not have to have a license here for a boat that is incapable of planing, but anything that can get up on the plane needs a license, I have been pulled over for a license check by water police myself. I know a fellow at Quintrex, a local Boat Builder who helped me get my license.

Launching, safety hazards, the rules of the water, how to act in an emergency - where do new owners get all this from??

A lot of people do things outrageously stupid, that is what I said earlier, in a community, we have to walk at the pace of the slowest person. It is what being in a community is all about.

I didn't see the comment as a guilt trip, but more an illustration of how many others see the practise as foolish for the general public. Quite a lot.

I am just stunned at no license for a speedboat, that too is not the general rule. And something I think is just crazy.

Well there are no lanes or speed limits and every other boat operates differently whereas cars are all generally operated the same way. How do you streamline boating operations to a standard license? Like Michelle said though, there are rules for the water, ways to get caught and penalties to pay.

That doesn't make it any less absurd as I said before but it'd be hard to tell after that thing blew wether it fired prematurely or he stuffed it in wrong. I doubt there was a forensic investigation though. It's probably people not thinking things through like I just did and just assuming it was a faulty firework because it exploded in the tube.

That is what people tend to do when drinking - not think things through - and fireworks are used at celebrations, where alcohol is more than often a factor - which is what makes a public ban a no brainer the way I see it.

That is what people tend to do when drinking - not think things through - and fireworks are used at celebrations, where alcohol is more than often a factor - which is what makes a public ban a no brainer the way I see it.

Sounds like your real beef is with alcohol. Want to try banning that again?

• Like 1

Well there are no lanes or speed limits and every other boat operates differently whereas cars are all generally operated the same way. How do you streamline boating operations to a standard license? Like Michelle said though, there are rules for the water, ways to get caught and penalties to pay.

I take it you have little or no nautical experience F3SS?? I am not maritime Captain, but I have taken a few boats out in my day.

Yes there are lanes, and you have a right of way, just like a road, have you not ever seen one of these??

Virtual%20010.JPG

Without channel markers you would hit sandbars and rocks all the time, most boats would sink with the traffic one sees on an average weekend. You have to give way, keep to the right etc etc, just like a car - and if you didn't notice a smart car and a Bugatti Veyron have noticeably different performance characteristics!! That is where speed limits come in.

It is very much like a car mate.

school102.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, we do have rules on the water and you will be arrested if caught drinking and driving a boat. You have to pay to register a boat and renew it yearly, but anyone can buy a one and take it out without any knowledge at all.

This is true. My father in law just bought a beat up old boat, but because it has a motor, he had to register it. I'm not sure, but I think it the boat is non-powered then it does not need to be registered. Kayaks, canoes and such don't require a license or boat registration.

• Like 2

You keep coming back to the Alcohol yet I have yet to hear you mention banning alcohol...........

I can take PVC pipe and a potato and kill you, should we ban those? I can certainly kill you with the knife I use to peel potatoes and other veggies with, should those be banned? I could hit you over the head a few times with the cutting board....... Oh NO!! Those must be banned too!!!!!!

Sounds like your real beef is with alcohol. Want to try banning that again?

I beg your pardon????

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP YOUNG MAN!!!!!!!!!

I have a problem with alcohol and guns, I have a problem with alcohol and explosives and I have a problem with alcohol and driving, common sense stuff that people should not do. Alcohol should beget MORE alcohol and a Taxi. Not a dangerous Item - what's the logic behind that F3SS?? I have no idea where you are going with this. You think alcohol and explosives are a good combination???

This is true. My father in law just bought a beat up old boat, but because it has a motor, he had to register it. I'm not sure, but I think it the boat is non-powered then it does not need to be registered. Kayaks, canoes and such don't require a license or boat registration.

That is very similar to here, but if your boat can plane, you have to be licensed. You do not have to have a license to putt about the canal in a BBQ pontoon for instance.

I take it you have little or no nautical experience F3SS?? I am not maritime Captain, but I have taken a few boats out in my day.

Yes there are lanes, and you have a right of way, just like a road, have you not ever seen one of these??

Virtual%20010.JPG

Without channel markers you would hit sandbars and rocks all the time, most boats would sink with the traffic one sees on an average weekend. You have to give way, keep to the right etc etc, just like a car - and if you didn't notice a smart car and a Bugatti Veyron have noticeably different performance characteristics!! That is where speed limits come in.

It is very much like a car mate.

school102.jpg

I come from the city of three rivers so ocean boating, as that looks like, or channel boating or whatever could be different. There are markers here and there for different things but generally no lanes.

If alcohol is what turned a harmless firework into a death weapon, and Alcohol turns a car into a deadly weapon, and alcohol turns a boat into a deadly weapon, and alcohol on it's own is a poison.......... hum ......... sounds like ALCOHOL is the problem........

• Like 3