Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Son Died By Lighting Fireworks On His Head

Michelle

I'm pretty sure dirt bikes don't have to ever be registered no matter what land they're used on. Only street legal ones that are driven on the road have to be.

I wasn't sure. But, I've seen people riding them on the Oregon sand dunes at the coast, and on the beach in some places....

Sounds like we got an alcoholic here...

Sounds like we've got someone in denial of how damaging alcohol is.

• Like 1

I bought a place recently up on the side of a hill with several acres. We are maybe 400 feet above the valley floor, and we can see the entire Tualatin Valley. Which probably has a population of 200,000 people. Flying fireworks are illegal in Oregon, yet we saw probably 2000 to 3000 places where illegal fireworks were being launched. Fully 1% of the population was breaking the law all at once. And that was just the people launching mortars which could be seen all the way across the valley.

I don't think you can legislate fireworks as easily as firearms, unless the sources of them (fireworks) are restricted within much/most of the nation. If you have legal mortars in Idaho, or Washington, then you're going to have people using those mortars in Oregon and even California.

I'm living in ND right now, and this was the best 4th of July I have ever seen. The city next to where I live has nearly everything legal. For 8 or so hours(from mid afternoon until 1 in the morning) it sounded like a war zone. Mortars going off in all directions at all times, hundreds of those flying lantern things from the Disney movie, sparklers, firecrackers, novelty stuff going off in the streets, the works.

• Like 1

Seems a sound solution to an obvious problem. I hope she finds someone who helps get that law enacted.

Maine legalised Fireworks to the general public in 2012??

Why???

This was just an eventuality when that silly law was enacted.

So if someone put their car in neutral going down a hill, jumped out, put their head under a tire and died.... should we blame the car?

If someone goes to a gas station, goes up to a gas pump, starts drinking the gasoline and dies.... should we ban gas stations or gasoline?

If someone buys a sawzall, tries to balance it on their head while it's running and dies... should be ban sawzalls?

I mean I could go on and on with these, do you get my point? I hope you aren't serious.

• Like 2

You are wrong on all three of those.

You can drive go carts on your own property any time you want. Same with ATV's.

Don't think so Myles, for instance, I have raced Go Karts, I even have a license and I can scan and PM it if you doubt me. I'd like to see you put one of those off road. They sit inches of the ground and are designed for performance and speed, not all terrain. You are only going to use them on a track, and I know several fathers who do race with their sons, and they have not ever taken a Go Kart off track because ti would wreck it. My Boss has an ATV for himself and his son who is 7. His is a full version made for him, his sons is made for children with safety devices and speed limiters. Professionals have minimised the risk in that situation. People who do not take into account all this extra work are at high risk of accidents.

Sure, a responsible person should not let their children on a trampoline if they are too young.

The depends on the trampoline.

A responsible person shouldn't light a firework on their head either.

A responsible person cannot possibly get drunk on the odd festive occasion and do something silly???

A trampoline is an item that is known to cause thousands of injuries annually. However, I own one. My 2 daughters love it. I knew the risks when I purchased it. I do not want them outlawed. Or made so only professionals can use them.

I bought one for my kids too, and they also love it. I worked a couple extra jobs on weekends and saved the exorbitant amount for a springless trampoline with a full safety net. Looks like this:

springfreewide-620x349.jpg

6 years on and not a single injury.

Was worth working those weekends for. A little research can minimise any risk.

Swimming pools would be a much better comparison to fireworks as they are used quite often with alcohol involved. Each year there are many cases of adults and children who drown in swimming pools. They are certainly dangerous with or without alcohol.

Please do not tell me you have no pool fence laws!!

LINK - Swimming pool fencing and safety regulations

Edited by psyche101

Sounds like we got an alcoholic here...

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion!! For instance, I think you must be brain dead, but that's just an opinion based on what you have to say.

• Like 1

That is true, but it is also true that legislation doesn't stop people when they want to do something. An example is marijuana use. It was highly illegal, yet as much as a quarter of the population may be using it.

That would simply be because most do not get caught wouldn't it?

Fireworks are a tad more noticeable than someone hiding in a back room with a smoke hanging out of their mouth, that might be tobacco anyway. A quarter of the population are not going to get away with secretly letting of explosives at festive events. Like I said, we still see the odd firework here, but it is so rare that nobody bothers with it. It's a very dangerous item, and that is why it should not at all be available to the general public no matter how responsible an individual claims to be. This guy lit a fuse on his head, and it blew up and killed him, which tends to make a noticeable footprint, dope is rather covert by comparison, and does not affect and alert that's in the general vicinity.

Sometimes "callous" is what is most practical. After all vaccines and such DO end up killing some people, but if the numbers are "acceptable" then you go with the choice of least damage.

The numbers are not "acceptable" they are a hole in the system that needs to be better understood and repaired. I see them as an indicator of an imperfection of a sound system that means it needs more work. When we have a 0% death rate, we will have it right.

• Like 1

I bought a place recently up on the side of a hill with several acres. We are maybe 400 feet above the valley floor, and we can see the entire Tualatin Valley. Which probably has a population of 200,000 people. Flying fireworks are illegal in Oregon, yet we saw probably 2000 to 3000 places where illegal fireworks were being launched. Fully 1% of the population was breaking the law all at once. And that was just the people launching mortars which could be seen all the way across the valley.

I don't think you can legislate fireworks as easily as firearms, unless the sources of them (fireworks) are restricted within much/most of the nation. If you have legal mortars in Idaho, or Washington, then you're going to have people using those mortars in Oregon and even California.

In the last 5 years, I would have seen maybe two illegal fireworks, and it was not spectacular by any means. All those poor people did was miss out on the real spectacular shows that the local councils put on for NYE.

Fireworks are very noticeable, it sounds more like nobody cares, and if surrounding states can use them, then I see why people would not bother with that law.

Worked here. And it was easier than firearms too, the law was passed, the police enforced it, and that was that. If you make fireworks illegal, even black market ones are crappy and expensive and not worth the fine when you get caught, and 9 out of 10 will be caught with such a noticeable display. Of course you can get rid of them easily if you want to. A Firework is useless and of no value if it is always concealed.

I do believe that most Australian's were happy to say goodbye to fireworks as our festive seasons (Xmas & NYE) that tend to utilise fireworks are in our summer when it is dry, and fire hazard is very high. Fireworks cost many lives and caused much damage through bushfire. Especially amateurs that would not even consider that aspect until too late, or are inebriated. We fear Bushfire and it is a major concern. So I guess not hard to legislate when people consider the big picture and are community orientated.

• Like 1

Please do not tell me you have no pool fence laws!!

Some areas do and some don't. Are you aware a child can drown in less than a gallon of water? Do you, or did you put child-proof locks on your toilet when they were toddlers? Are there or were there any electrical appliances in your bathroom close enough to a water supply to cause an electrical shock? Do you cover every electrical outlet and keep cleaning supplies under lock and key? Do you put bumpers on the edges of absolutely everything they could fall into and hurt themselves?

This is why we have to have disclaimers on everything. Does anyone that can read really need to be told not to drink bleach?

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

So if someone put their car in neutral going down a hill, jumped out, put their head under a tire and died.... should we blame the car?

If someone goes to a gas station, goes up to a gas pump, starts drinking the gasoline and dies.... should we ban gas stations or gasoline?

If someone buys a sawzall, tries to balance it on their head while it's running and dies... should be ban sawzalls?

I mean I could go on and on with these, do you get my point? I hope you aren't serious.

Considering that your nick is "Use Your Brain" then I would have to say no, I do not "get" your point. Your examples are just dumb, they are not at all anything like the current situation. Are there laws and regulations regarding a car?? Yes!! What happens if you break those laws and regulations? You get fined and can lose your vehicle. There was a problem here with some individuals in the NT deciding that Methylated Spirits was just as good as alcohol! We did not ban Methylated Spirits we put colouring in it, and added a foul tasting agent that made people throw up. You just do not seem to understand that society has to walk at the pace of it's slowest member, you can think your way out of awkward situations - if you Use Your Brain. I have no idea what the F an sawzall is so I'll consider that option to be as stupid and irrelevant as the first two options.

Guidelines and safety measures are well in place for every item you have listed. Every bloody one. Would you get an untrained person to defuse a bomb? Why not - it's just a big firework isn't it?

I hope YOU are not serious. This woman has an excellent case but is approaching a selfish and cold hearted community. I can only wish her well, but people seem to think that being able to let off a firework themselves is well worth the risk of accidents and death. I'll never understand that.

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion!! For instance, I think you must be brain dead, but that's just an opinion based on what you have to say.

The alcohol has really gotten to you I see.

• Like 2

Considering that your nick is "Use Your Brain" then I would have to say no, I do not "get" your point. Your examples are just dumb, they are not at all anything like the current situation. Are there laws and regulations regarding a car?? Yes!! What happens if you break those laws and regulations? You get fined and can lose your vehicle. There was a problem here with some individuals in the NT deciding that Methylated Spirits was just as good as alcohol! We did not ban Methylated Spirits we put colouring in it, and added a foul tasting agent that made people throw up. You just do not seem to understand that society has to walk at the pace of it's slowest member, you can think your way out of awkward situations - if you Use Your Brain. I have no idea what the F an sawzall is so I'll consider that option to be as stupid and irrelevant as the first two options.

Guidelines and safety measures are well in place for every item you have listed. Every bloody one. Would you get an untrained person to defuse a bomb? Why not - it's just a big firework isn't it?

I hope YOU are not serious. This woman has an excellent case but is approaching a selfish and cold hearted community. I can only wish her well, but people seem to think that being able to let off a firework themselves is well worth the risk of accidents and death. I'll never understand that.

Your examples are just dumb, they are not at all anything like the current situation

They are examples of dumb things people can do with everyday items. Do you not think what he did was dumb?

Are there laws and regulations regarding a car?? Yes!! What happens if you break those laws and regulations? You get fined and can lose your vehicle.

I don't think getting fined and losing you vehicle would matter too much if you were dead.

You just do not seem to understand that society has to walk at the pace of it's slowest member, you can think your way out of awkward situations - if you Use Your Brain

So you would ban or regulate anything people can use to hurt themselves with? You do know how many things that is right?

We shouldn't have to idiot-proof everything that can be dangerous. Now if children could buy it then you would have my support, however he was 22.

I certainly wouldn't advise them putting it on their head and lighting a fuse.

Speaking of guidelines, fireworks come with warning labels. This one only says don't hold it in your hand, I guess if it said "do no place on head" everything would have been different, right?

firework.png

I can only wish her well, but people seem to think that being able to let off a firework themselves is well worth the risk of accidents and death. I'll never understand that.

I like to use boats, but they can be dangerous and aren't necessary where I live. Does that make me cold hearted?

I thought that you were against bull****, and here you are spewing it everywhere. If you really couldn't see the point of my post and think that the fireworks are to blame for this, then I only have one thing to ask you.

What happened to you man?

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 3

Some areas do and some don't.

There seems to be a great deal of disparity amongst states in the same nation? That is so weird to me!! Here, the Northern Territory has a few individual laws, mostly that pertain to Indigenous Law, as the larger portion of the Indigenous Community still lives a traditional lifestyle to an extent in that territory. How can so many people in one place have so many different laws?? That must be astoundingly confusing. Is it common for the Average American to visit other states or do most tend to stick close to where they were born?

Are you aware a child can drown in less than a gallon of water?

Of course, what you have to do is make sure that risk is as minimal as it possibly can be. A child should not die because a parent is ignorant or arrogant. That is where these "greater good" laws I keep rabbiting on about go to work and perform admirably.

Do you, or did you put child-proof locks on your toilet when they were toddlers?

Of course!!

Some people don't???

Are there or were there any electrical appliances in your bathroom close enough to a water supply to cause an electrical shock? Do you cover every electrical outlet and keep cleaning supplies under lock and key?

LOL have I not mentioned that I am a sparky?

Don't tell me you have no laws regarding earth leakage circuit breakers EITHER!!

?? ELCB's RCD's??? - Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers or Residual Current devices?? You cannot get a shock here, it is mandatory to fit a leakage device in every single installation an electrician touches, so if you retrofit an old place, it has to conform to modern standards. 75 milliamps can cause ventricular fibrillation. So houses are fitted with devices that trip if 30 milliamps leaks to earth, in hospitals the standard is 10 milliamps.

Look, if you guys do not even have that in place, give me Obama's contact details, I need to speak to the man.

Do you put bumpers on the edges of absolutely everything they could fall into and hurt themselves?

Again of course, and the entire house for 5 years had ALL breakables at high level. As well as child lock gates at most doors. You know the ones that are portable? You just screw the stops into the doorway and you have a small person gate.

This is why we have to have disclaimers on everything. Does anyone that can read really need to be told not to drink bleach?

Exactly!! Who reads disclaimers!! Very few people at all. It's like, Well I know what I want this for, and that's how I am going to use it!.

What about illiterate people? Who looks out for them? Or immigrants who cannot read all that well, if at all? Why do they put disclaimers in writing you need a magnifying glass to make out?? Pretty useless overall aren't they.

The alcohol has really gotten to you I see.

LOL, and each post you make is stupider than the last - on a roll here aren't we! :D

Think I'd rather be in my shoes right now!!

Good lord, it's worse than I thought. Just smother kids in bubble wrap until they are thirty why doncha? We need to save everyone from themselves whether they like it or not. Adults choke on food every day so we must puree it into a liquid to assure it never happens again, is where this seems to be going.

Edited by Michelle

Devon Staples, 22, was killed instantly this past 4th of July weekend after he attempted to light a firework off the top of his head. Staples became the first firework-related fatality in Maine since the state first legalized fireworks back in 2012. While some may see Staples’ unfortunate accident as a nominee for the Darwin Awards, his mother, Kathleen Staples, sees it as a call for stricter laws regarding who can and cannot handle explosives.

"At least it'd be a little bit more than, 'Here you go,'" the grieving mother told the Associated Press. "That's an explosive. They didn't just hand me a license and put me in the car."

According to authorities, Staples had been drinking with some friends at a friend’s home in Calais, Maine this past Saturday night when the group went out to the back deck to light fireworks. Staples died after a reloadable firework mortar tube exploded on the top of his head. Staples’ friends and his older brother Cory Staples said they tried to dissuade him, but he ended up going through with his fateful decision.

cont...

http://www.msn.com/e...laws/ar-AAcGx67

There is absolutely nothing wrong with current laws and if some retard is lighting fireworks on his head then its his own fault.

At least this one has been removed from the gene pool.

They are examples of dumb things people can do with everyday items. Do you not think what he did was dumb?

I think he was drunk. That is why the ban is necessary and why many other countries have abided by such for decades. Fireworks are used at festive celebrations. People get drunk at festive celebrations, the two are always going to clash, and must be separated for the greater good. This guy is lucky if anything, he could well have killed others as well.

Point is it is going to keep happening, no two ways about it. And that is but one hazard. The only way lives will be spared is if fireworks will be banned. What it comes down to is what is important to the average voter - human lives or the thrill of letting of a firework yourself. They are explosives at the end of the day, if you use a nail gun you need to be licenced, but for a much larger explosive you do not.

Do not tell me that explosive power tools are available to everyone as well, please. Surely you guys have some rules and regulations?

I don't think getting fined and losing you vehicle would matter too much if you were dead.

Is that not the point of the fines and laws - to minimise dead people? It's not just the people who kill themselves doing dumb things, they can, and often do take out innocent bystanders.

So you would ban or regulate anything people can use to hurt themselves with? You do know how many things that is right?

I think many people take poetic license as to "what can kill" and get rather carried away. The same people struggle to differentiate between a dangerous item that is constructed for a specific use that is deadly from something you can fashion as a weapon. A gun and a shovel can both kill, but a Gun is designed to kill and that is what it does, a shovel is designed to dig and if someone uses it to kill, they are sick and twisted and need to be locked away and examined. It's a notable difference.,

I certainly wouldn't advise them putting it on their head and lighting a fuse.

Nobody would! I Bet neither would this chap had he been sober!! Would you store a corrosive next to an inflammable? Seems rather the same idea to me. You do not mix volatile agents.

I thought that you were against bull****, and here you are spewing it everywhere.

Please point exactly what I have posted that is incorrect or untrue with supporting evidence to back your accusation. Hell, some halfwit here is calling me drunk for voicing an opinion. I am not feeling overly generous at the moment!!

If you really couldn't see the point of my post and think that the fireworks are to blame for this, then I only have one thing to say to you.

What happened to you man?

I have analysed your points and shown them to be unrelated ands superfluous to the conversation, if you cannot see that your examples are chalk and cheese to the situation then I might ask the very same of yourself. What I have done is upset people who like and want fireworks, but I have also presented the case why it is a bad idea, and how other countries have recognised the very fact. It is an explosive, a dangerous item and as I keep saying, society HAS to walk at the pace of it's slowest member. As a community it is our civic duty to consider, recognise and remove risks to the general public to create a safe environment, Mortars in particular are very dangerous and even professionals get killed and kill bystanders. It strikes me as extraordinarily selfish to insist on a dangerous item at the expense of the entire community, particularly when it is certain that they will be used in conjunction with alcohol which impairs judgement and a certain percentage WILL result in death. For all those calling this guy stupid, I would bet a eyetooth that every single one of them has also done something downright stupid at one time in their lives. This man - a fellow human being - did the very same and was not as lucky. I think it is just wrong to speak ill of the dead and to say such nasty things about a man who just made a dumb mistake to impress others and paid the ultimate price for stupidity. Have a "F"n heart people.

Edited by psyche101

Good lord, it's worse than I thought. Just smother kids in bubble wrap until they are thirty why doncha? We need to save everyone from themselves whether they like it or not. Adults choke on food every day so we must puree it into a liquid to assure it never happens again, is where this seems to be going.

Because we have pool fence laws and electrical standards???

Does that honestly seem unreasonable to you??

There is absolutely nothing wrong with current laws and if some retard is lighting fireworks on his head then its his own fault.

Yes there is, otherwise so many other places would not have alternate laws, and it would not have been in place for some idiot politician to lift. It is a downright stupid law. No two ways about it.

At least this one has been removed from the gene pool.

Originality is not prevalent in this forum is it, already heard that callous heartless cruel cold remark too many times. Nothing like repetition I suppose, it guarantees peer approval doesn't it.

Edited by psyche101

I think he was drunk. That is why the ban is necessary and why many other countries have abided by such for decades. Fireworks are used at festive celebrations. People get drunk at festive celebrations, the two are always going to clash, and must be separated for the greater good. This guy is lucky if anything, he could well have killed others as well.

Point is it is going to keep happening, no two ways about it. And that is but one hazard. The only way lives will be spared is if fireworks will be banned. What it comes down to is what is important to the average voter - human lives or the thrill of letting of a firework yourself. They are explosives at the end of the day, if you use a nail gun you need to be licenced, but for a much larger explosive you do not.

Do not tell me that explosive power tools are available to everyone as well, please. Surely you guys have some rules and regulations?

Is that not the point of the fines and laws - to minimise dead people? It's not just the people who kill themselves doing dumb things, they can, and often do take out innocent bystanders.

I think many people take poetic license as to "what can kill" and get rather carried away. The same people struggle to differentiate between a dangerous item that is constructed for a specific use that is deadly from something you can fashion as a weapon. A gin and a shovel can both kill, but a Gun is designed to kill and that is what it does, a shovel is designed to dig and if someone uses it to kill, they are sick and twisted and need to be locked away and examined. It's a notable difference.,

Nobody would! I Bet neither would this chap had he been sober!! Would you store a corrosive next to an inflammable? Seems rather the same idea to me. You do not mix volatile agents.

Please point exactly what I have posted that is incorrect or untrue with supporting evidence to back your accusation. Hell, some halfwit here is calling me drunk for voicing an opinion. I am not feeling overly generous at the moment!!

I have analysed your points and shown them to be unrelated ands superfluous to the conversation, if you cannot see that your examples are chalk and cheese to the situation then I might ask the very same of yourself. What I have done is upset people who like and want fireworks, but I have also presented the case why it is a bad idea, and how other countries have recognised the very fact. It is an explosive, a dangerous item and as I keep saying, society HAS to walk at the pace of it's slowest member. As a community it is our civic duty to consider, recognise and remove risks to the general public to create a safe environment, Mortars in particular are very dangerous and even professionals get killed and kill bystanders. It strikes me as extraordinarily selfish to insist on a dangerous item at the expense of the entire community, particularly when it is certain that they will be used in conjunction with alcohol which impairs judgement and a certain percentage WILL result in death. For all those calling this guy stupid, I would bet a eyetooth that every single one of them has also done something downright stupid at one time in their lives. This man - a fellow human being - did the very same and was not as lucky. I think it is just wrong to speak ill of the dead and to say such nasty things about a man who just made a dumb mistake to impress others and paid the ultimate price for stupidity. Have a "F"n heart people.

People killed by Fireworks. 50 per year are labeled "serious", far less die - http://s7.postimg.or...e=20&pk_faq=256

People killed by lightning. 17 so far this year - http://www.lightning...atalities.shtml

People killed by car crashes. ~1.3 million per year - http://asirt.org/Ini...rash-Statistics

You only need to be licensed for the nail guns that use .22 shells, which aren't common. You do not need one for the nail gun at your local hardware store.

Chainsaws injure over 28000 people per year, yet people seem to know that they shouldn't be banned. I'm sure you have another opinion. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15027558

Maybe this is a better example.

Firework mortars are meant to be placed on very stable ground, you light the fuse and run away. He put one on his head.

Chainsaws are meant to be handled very carefully, you should always use proper technique. Now if I decided to juggle them and got killed, would you want them banned, or was I being stupid and not using them as intended?

Please point exactly what I have posted that is incorrect or untrue with supporting evidence to back your accusation

Please show me all these cases where innocent bystanders are killed by fireworks. I can't seem to find them.

Yes there is, otherwise so many other places would not have alternate laws, and it would not have been in place for some idiot politician to lift. It is a downright stupid law. No two ways about it.

Most of the places they are banned are for legitimate reasons such as: Wildfires, Property Damage, Air Pollutants (weak argument), Ground Pollutants (paying someone to pick them up, could be legitimate), Containing Toxins (weak)

They aren't banned so some idiot doesn't put one on his head. This is why I said you were spewing BS.

ETA: Alcohol Kills ~88,000 people each year - http://www.cdc.gov/a...alcohol-use.htm

Where is your petition to ban it?

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 2

People killed by Fireworks. 50 per year are labeled "serious", far less die - http://s7.postimg.or...e=20&pk_faq=256

People killed by lightning. 17 so far this year - http://www.lightning...atalities.shtml

People killed by car crashes. ~1.3 million per year - http://asirt.org/Ini...rash-Statistics

So by this logic, I can come into your town and shot 30 people dead and it does not matter because 1.3 million people die in car accidents?

You only need to be licensed for the nail guns that use .22 shells, which aren't common. You do not need one for the nail gun at your local hardware store.

.22 are not common? Scince when?

The nail gun at your local hardware store is a compressed air item - no explosives.

Chainsaws injure over 28000 people per year, yet people seem to know that they shouldn't be banned. I'm sure you have another opinion. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15027558

You do think such a high rate might warrant legislation to license them? Sure nobody has yet, but someone has to take the first step. A license insisting that one has done a safety course would be a good idea don't you think?

Maybe this is a better example.

Firework mortars are meant to be placed on very stable ground, you light the fuse and run away. He put one on his head.

Chainsaws are meant to be handled very carefully, you should always use proper technique. Now if I decided to juggle them and got killed, would you want them banned, or was I being stupid and not using them as intended?

The firework was faulty, that is why he died, not because he put it on his head, had it not been faulty, then he might just be bald today with a more sensible outlook. If a chainsaw is faulty then you can take the manufacturer to court, if dead, your relatives can.

He actually thought it was a dud.

Please show me all these cases where innocent bystanders are killed by fireworks. I can't seem to find them.

LINK #1 - Firework shrapnel kills a bystander(actually 3 individual cases)

LINK #2 - Officials identify Billings man killed in fireworks accident

LINK 3# - Despite tragedy, fireworks to go on

LINK #4 - Fireworks season brings biggest injury risk

LINK #5 - New Year's Eve revellers injured by illegal fireworks in busy night for Victorian paramedics

Will that do for starters?

Most of the places they are banned are for legitimate reasons such as: Wildfires, Property Damage, Air Pollutants (weak argument), Ground Pollutants (paying someone to pick them up, could be legitimate), Containing Toxins (weak)

They aren't banned so some idiot doesn't put one on his head. This is why I said you were spewing BS.

You honestly think that safety does ot factor as well?? Even so, as you can see there are MANY legitimate reasons, why turn a blind eye to them all?? All you have done is give many more good reasons to ban them haven't you?

LINK - Ban private use of fireworks and allow public display only in New Zealand.

There are other good reasons for a ban including the cost of firework related incidences and the NZ Fire Service resources being unnecessarily stretched. Every year someone is injured from cheap fireworks. The NZFS is also backing this petition.

LINK - Firework injuries up

Emergency responders said that responding to injury calls, fires and noise complaints burden an already stressed system.

“We continue to advocate a complete ban on consumer fireworks,” said Terry Seelig Honolulu Fire Department Battalion chief.

LINK - Firework-related injury survey report 2012

There were 13 firework-related injuries with ages ranging from 9 to 51 years old. Bystanders accounted for 77% of injuries. This year 1

person was admitted to hospital with a severe injury, 8 people sustained moderate injuries requiring multiple visits to health care providers and 4 people received mild injuries. Multishot fireworks accounted for 5 injuries.

screen-shot-2015-06-26-at-12-04-10-pm.png

Edited by psyche101

You have made an excellent argument to ban alcohol in this thread, not so much for fireworks.

Particularly when used for celebrations where alcohol will certainly be prevalent.

BECAUSE THAT PRICK JOHN GOT DRUNK AND KILLED A DOZEN PEOPLE ON A HORRIFIC ACCIDENT!!

And notably will be used at celebrations where Alcohol is very likely to be a factor??

Alcohol makes many stupid things seem like a good idea at the time and fireworks are used at celebrations. Keeping Alcohol and explosives apart seems a no brainer to me.

I have a problem with alcohol and guns, I have a problem with alcohol and explosives and I have a problem with alcohol and driving, common sense stuff that people should not do. Alcohol should beget MORE alcohol and a Taxi. Not a dangerous Item - what's the logic behind that F3SS?? I have no idea where you are going with this. You think alcohol and explosives are a good combination???

What an amazingly small mind!! LOL, you cannot fathom that the effects of Alcohol are detrimental to judgement? What happens when you drink and drive - is there a law against that?

Banning alcohol would be a criminal action. Banning people from handling deadly objects whilst under the influence of alcohol is a no brainer.

Well, cars and alcohol are indeed already prohibited partners, it seems a good idea to keep alcohol away from all seriously dangerous items?

I mean use your freaking head, the two do not mix well like drinking and driving. Soon as you ban cars, I'll be happy to ban Alcohol OK?

That is what people tend to do when drinking - not think things through - and fireworks are used at celebrations, where alcohol is more than often a factor - which is what makes a public ban a no brainer the way I see it.

• Like 2

You have made an excellent argument to ban alcohol in this thread, not so much for fireworks.

I disagree, but then again, so do most of the people in my country and several others it would seem.

You seem to have missed the bit about mixing volatile compounds???

Edited by psyche101

So by this logic, I can come into your town and shot 30 people dead and it does not matter because 1.3 million people die in car accidents?

.22 are not common? Scince when?

The nail gun at your local hardware store is a compressed air item - no explosives.

You do think such a high rate might warrant legislation to license them? Sure nobody has yet, but someone has to take the first step. A license insisting that one has done a safety course would be a good idea don't you think?

The firework was faulty, that is why he died, not because he put it on his head, had it not been faulty, then he might just be bald today with a more sensible outlook. If a chainsaw is faulty then you can take the manufacturer to court, if dead, your relatives can.

LINK #5 - New Year's Eve revellers injured by illegal fireworks in busy night for Victorian paramedics

Will that do for starters?

You honestly think that safety does ot factor as well?? Even so, as you can see there are MANY legitimate reasons, why turn a blind eye to them all?? All you have done is give many more good reasons to ban them haven't you?

LINK - Ban private use of fireworks and allow public display only in New Zealand.

There are other good reasons for a ban including the cost of firework related incidences and the NZ Fire Service resources being unnecessarily stretched. Every year someone is injured from cheap fireworks. The NZFS is also backing this petition.

LINK - Firework injuries up

Emergency responders said that responding to injury calls, fires and noise complaints burden an already stressed system.

“We continue to advocate a complete ban on consumer fireworks,” said Terry Seelig Honolulu Fire Department Battalion chief.

LINK - Firework-related injury survey report 2012

There were 13 firework-related injuries with ages ranging from 9 to 51 years old. Bystanders accounted for 77% of injuries. This year 1

person was admitted to hospital with a severe injury, 8 people sustained moderate injuries requiring multiple visits to health care providers and 4 people received mild injuries. Multishot fireworks accounted for 5 injuries.

screen-shot-2015-06-26-at-12-04-10-pm.png

No, if I use your logic with my statistics then it should be life in prison for owning a car.

And you think that means that they can't kill you?

I think that people should know that chainsaws are dangerous. People are free to watch instructional videos and learn the proper techniques, if they don't then they are responsible for what happens.

Actually he did die because he had it on his head. If he would have been following the instructions it wouldn't have blown up ON HIS HEAD.

This is complete BS and you know it.

I have given you legitimate reasons as to why they are banned in certain places. Obviously these reasons vary in importance in different locations.

I will get back to you on the links.

^^ This one actually counters your argument. It was a homemade firework, like everyone would have to use if they were banned.

^^ Needed a survey for that one, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

^^ Cambodian aka homemade fireworks.

^^ This one was a sad story. You aren't supposed to shoot them off near houses :no:

^^ This was drugs.

Thanks for the links, I honestly couldn't find any. You did prove your point, they killed a few people. I would love to know if alcohol was involved.

Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 1

I disagree, but then again, so do most of the people in my country and several others it would seem.

You seem to have missed the bit about mixing volatile compounds???

Yes alcohol was one of those compounds.

I did miss this one though.

I think he was drunk. That is why the ban is necessary and why many other countries have abided by such for decades. Fireworks are used at festive celebrations. People get drunk at festive celebrations, the two are always going to clash, and must be separated for the greater good
Edited by Use your brain
  • Like 1