Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant 'heart' spotted in close-ups of Pluto

UM-Bot

The latest photographs from New Horizons show a distinctive heart shape on the surface of Pluto.

Having fully recovered from its communications failure last week, NASA's New Horizons spacecraft is now just four days away from its historic rendez-vous with the dwarf planet.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...se-ups-of-pluto

• Like 1

So what about the other picture with the 4 massive black circles towards the bottom of Pluto?

that all Nasa has to report? a shape of a heart. *claps with the backs of my hands*

I find the dots more unusual.

http://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2015/07/02/16a264fa-46ed-49cd-b38b-adddad1fb16d/63453ee9988f8e97d76d1fea74611afc/pluto1.jpg

Edited by Teh Beast

Where's the arrow?

So what about the other picture with the 4 massive black circles towards the bottom of Pluto?

that all Nasa has to report? a shape of a heart. *claps with the backs of my hands*

http://cnet1.cbsista...1afc/pluto1.jpg

I wonder if it's possible that we are observing Pluto from the other side of it's orbital rotation ? hence why we are not seeing the separate line of

dark circles ?

Anyway's - just a guess.

It is still pretty awesome though....

It wont be long now - before more images come through.

That was just dust on the lens.. yeah, dust on the lens, nothing to see here.

Space is not always a clean "space"

Pluto is trying to remind a certain heartless scientist named Niel that we should all love and respect each other. And restore her back to being a planet rather than a lump of space rock.

All planets are technically lumps of space rock, really. And it's technical identification is the largest of the dwarf planets. It's in a class of it's own.

A report from the Guardian is not a statement from NASA, either it's a press release or a reporter picking something that will bring in clicks.

Reports from NASA are probably along the lines of "That's weird." "Never seen that before," "Are you sure there's no way we can swing it by again? I mean, I know we can't swing it by again, but maybe there's a way? No, of course not. I know. But we need more data because this looks weird!"

At least from my experience of scientists looking at a new thing.

Pluto Gets Some Respect

Pareidolia has some seeing a dark whale headbutting a heart on Pluto,

Where the romance of this distant world is yielding to technology,

Once the farthest planet, now just a dwarf but its mystique remains,

It was the first object to be dubbed “Planet X” before its discovery.

Once it might even have been a possible escaped moon of Neptune,

And though a class of dwarfs known as the “plutoids” was named for it,

It’s not even the largest one, the newcomer Eris has it easily beat,

But the asteroid Ceres may be most underrated of all, scientists admit.

While it may be no giant Jupiter sucking in comets with great gravity,

Or Saturn with its sexy rings, and not fire our passion like Mars does,

Still it has its five weird moons orbiting their beige-orange primary,

No longer a pixelated blob, photogenic Pluto’s now got all the buzz.

Very interesting images in general. Pluto is finally emerging from the darkness after all these years hiding on the edges of the solar system and consolidating his rightful place among the rest of the "celestial objects." Hello, Pluto. You are not alone, my friend.

• Like 1

After all the abuse Pluto has gotten from us humans..... It still loves us.... *tear* still a better love story then twilight.

• Like 1

"love and respect each other"?

May I remind you what happened to every other major person (Ghandi, Lincoln, MLK, Malcolm X, John Lennon...) that told us to 'love thy neighbor' or be a peaceful race...they got assassinated.

Pluto, being Lord of the Underworld, set a trap for them.

harte

Are you posting that from Pluto, Harte?

How did you get giant?

• Like 1

Maybe Pluto should be renamed Aphrodite. :wub:

New "alien structure" posts and stories arriving any minute now...

That was just dust on the lens.. yeah, dust on the lens, nothing to see here.

wat

What about it?
No, that isn't "all NASA has to report". It's not a NASA report, it's just an article about the heart shaped feature on Pluto and is far from everything that NASA has to say about Pluto.

And here you can see the "dots" in more detail. If you had a bit of patience, you could have waited for more detailed pictures that were inevitably going to emerge as New Horizons got closer to Pluto instead of wheeling out the usual anti-NASA clichés that get trotted out on these forums.

pluto-farside-best-7-11-2015-e1436723277310.jpg

It's amazing how quickly people are to jump to negative conclusions or think conspiracy based upon the flimsiest of excuses when it comes to anything NASA says or does.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 2