Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enormous black hole has outgrown its galaxy

UM-Bot

Astronomers have discovered a supermassive black hole that appears to have grown to a ridiculous size.

Scientists had long believed that the growth of a supermassive black hole is closely linked to the growth of its parent galaxy meaning that one should generally remain proportional to the other.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/283543/enormous-black-hole-has-outgrown-its-galaxy

• Like 1

The supermassive black hole in question, which measures a whopping 6.9 billion times the mass of the sun, is located in the distant galaxy CID-947 which formed two billion years after the Big Bang.

thats scary big :blink:

We need to immediately set out for this galaxy ASAP in a fleet of ships and rescue any intelligent beings there that are in danger from this monstrously malignant black hole.

If we don't, then we are truly heartless cowards of the highest order. I hope the UN makes this its highest priority now.

There's no time to waste.

Edited by Infernal Gnu

#2 Yeah you're right. We could probably save the plants and animals too and we could send them to Africa so the children could eat them.

I'm going to display my ignorance here, through my need of clarification. Are they saying they think galaxies are created from a giant black hole or that this is just an anomaly?

Is it possible that there was a colliding galaxy that could of boosted the size of the black hole momentarily as the new masses of sun's mixed into the galaxy and fed the black hole with extra matter

Edited by northylee123

I'm going to display my ignorance here, through my need of clarification. Are they saying they think galaxies are created from a giant black hole or that this is just an anomaly?

You're OK. Black holes do not create galaxies at all... they eat them. One or more star's, planets, etc. at a time.

Thus they "grow"

This process occurs over a very long time-span, almost unimaginably long.

We need to immediately set out for this galaxy ASAP in a fleet of ships and rescue any intelligent beings there that are in danger from this monstrously malignant black hole.

If we don't, then we are truly heartless cowards of the highest order. I hope the UN makes this its highest priority now.

There's no time to waste.

Hardly, decision will be vetoed most likely :D

It's time the world knows.

Galactus has come.

(The comic book nerds will get it.)

It's actually a great question that hasn't been definitively answered yet. The relationship between a black hole and it's galaxy's creation is still somewhat of a chicken and egg issue. Pallidin's answer is 100% correct in how black holes behave, but there are still a few questions to be answered. Here's some light reading

http://www.cosmotography.com/images/supermassive_blackholes_drive_galaxy_evolution_2.html

http://global.jaxa.jp/article/special/astro_h/matsushita01_e.html

Cheers