Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Large Hadron Collider discovers new particle

UM-Bot

The world's largest atom smasher has made a new discovery in the form of a particle called a pentaquark.

Having only recently relaunched following a two-year hiatus the Large Hadron Collider at Cern has already succeeded in making history once again thanks to the discovery of a new particle.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/283624/large-hadron-collider-discovers-new-particle

• Like 1

Amazing that theory about matter fits experimental results so well, in this case the found particle was predicted already in the 1960s. It's just a pity that the theory we've got and the experimental results are just about about matter, which makes up less than 5 % of the universe. Over 95 % is dark matter and dark energy, which we have no idea what it is.

Edited by fred_mc

Perhaps I read or interpreted this wrong, but why is the pentaquark considered a new particle?

I thought it's constituent quarks are themselves "particles"

Would this not be better termed, something like, a new quark-aggregate?

Note: I could be very wrong on anything I just said.

Perhaps I read or interpreted this wrong, but why is the pentaquark considered a new particle?

I thought it's constituent quarks are themselves "particles"

Would this not be better termed, something like, a new quark-aggregate?

Note: I could be very wrong on anything I just said.

I think it's a composite particle (made up of other particles), while quarks are elementary particles.
  • Like 1

I think it's a composite particle (made up of other particles), while quarks are elementary particles.

Ah, thank you...

• Like 2

Pentaquark is an interesting choice of name.

Well, "pentaquark" is so-named because there are 5 (penta means 5) quarks.

I guess never seen before in nature.

EDIT: Or seen in experimentation before, but predicted to exist. The LHCb experiment confirmed it's existence.

What that means to you and I, or to the "world-at-large" I don't know.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I meant the quark part, not the penta part. Thanks for the lesson, jerk! :passifier: Just kidding. :clap:

The article called it a new particle, so to me that implied it being new. Not a variation of an existing one. It's still a new one. My vague comment was more on the semantics than the syntax.

... and it's a personal hang-up of mine.

Edited by BeastieRunner
  • Like 1

basically, in a pentaquark, matter and antimatter exist together for an extremely short time but destroy each other quickly, hence why they are so rare to find and the LHC has only found 2 pentaquarks.

• Like 2