Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enough with Political Correctness

Jack Skellington

... and a happy Eid al-Fitr to ye too Yamato ~

I will accept that! (just as soon as nobody else is offended by it!)

• Like 1

Of course it's a courtesy for most of us to be culturally sensitive. But, I think it's gone way to the extreme when you can't call regular household items by the name they've been called for over a hundred years because someone is suddenly offended, no matter how few those people are.

Edited by Michelle

Black and white crayons should also be changed to #0000 and #1111 respectively since obvious descriptors are now offensive.

• Like 1

My husband is part Native American and I'm offended by White Out. It reminds me of how whites nearly wiped out the Native Americans.

• Like 2

I'm sick of the ridiculousness of politically correct stupidity. There is no other way to describe it and those who are pulled along by the nonsense are simply willfully ignorant.

That means "stupid on purpose."

This Islamist terrorist attack in Tennessee is just another example, but it reignites (momentarily) America's brain activity and makes us question how we got so far off track.

For example-- who's idea was it to restrict our military from carrying guns on military installations? The answer is--- Clinton. In 1993, with the stroke of a pen and without Congressional approval, Clinton made the decision. Not even after 13 dead bodies accumulated on the cafeteria floor, did President Obama act. Another radicalized immigrant to this country carried a weapon into a gun free zone (aka Military Base full of soldiers trained to use weapons) and wantonly killed our personnel to cries of Allahu Akbar!

Change course? Nope-- Obama insists it was just an isolated case of workplace violence, not Islamic terrorism. So no, not even 13 dead bodies made a lick of difference.

4 more now in Tennessee. That's on you Barack Obama. You are asleep at the wheel of the car called America you are deliberately driving to a cliff.

I spent 12 years in the Marine Corps, Marines are allowed to carry guns. Each Command has a Officer of the Day (OOD) and they carry a weapon when on their 24 hour post. Military Police carry pistols and have shotguns in the patrol cars, just like cops. Depending on the leadership of each command, Marines can exercise their right to carry a concealed gun. Although if the Marine lives in the barracks the gun must be stored in the units armory when not in use.

Recruiters could in fact carry a concealed gun, however in a dress uniform the the dress Deltas that recruiters wear it would be very difficult and create an unsightly bulge that would not be acceptable. Appearance is a big thing for recruiters and Marines in general as uniforms must always be clean and in serviceable condition.

I just think your anger is aimed at the wrong facts is all.

• Like 3

Of course it's a courtesy for most of us to be culturally sensitive. But, I think it's gone way to the extreme when you can't call regular household items by the name they've been called for over a hundred years because someone is suddenly offended, no matter how few those people are.

Times change, though. Even innocuous words change. We no longer refer to them as "horseless carriages," do we? When was the last time you went to the apothecary? Or saw a camelopard?

Or ate a love apple? Or said to someone, "I'll see you on the morrow"?

The point is regardless of offensiveness, not only words change over time, but their meanings change. Certain words become unacceptable in society, and there comes a time when it's proper to recognize that. Go ahead and the words if you wish. You won't get arrested for saying "N*****". But in some circles, your popularity may plummet.

There's always going to be those extremists at either end. To pass judgment on all those in between because of the extremists seems basically unfair to me. Because extremists ideas are ludricous doesn't mean the whole concept should be dismissed or belittled. That's a strawman argument and a critical thinking error.

• Like 2

Is political correctness the problem, or is the problem caring what someone else thinks? Someone out there may not like the name "Cracker Barrel", but I don't care. Someone may not like the rendition of "Aunt Jemima"...I still don't care. Why does everyone get so butt hurt over those people? Will my life end if they change Uncle Ben's rice? Nope, won't affect me at all.

• Like 1

You don't seem to have answered my previous question, so I'll put it another way: it seems as though you're in favor of racial profiling, yes? If someone looks different, then they should be watched.

Funny how you seem to "focus" only on the "problem" of "them," as if Christians are completely blameless. Here's some food for thought about Christian extremists:

Focus indeed.

If Christians, including ones with goofy beards, including the Christians with goofy beards on Duck Dynasty are smashing gates on military bases and shooting our military personnel, then yes. We should focus on them too.

Clear enough?

washington post link

• Bush to the hague org link

• foreign policy journal com link

Obama won the Whitehouse with a majority in the both the House and Senate. He's had his man in the Department of Justice.... With all that evidence, why didn't he prosecute Bush? If you want to accuse Bush of something (even though Congress approved it) then you should charge him with something. Nothing to it.

Change our course for us Jack. Paint me the picture of what that looks like. Because until someone explains what this record player rhetoric means, it'll remain meaningless. It'll remain just popular political rhetoric. It'll remain politically correct.

And one more thing...partisanship isn't politically correct? Are you kidding me?

I told you we were going to suffer another terrorist attack as I've predicted numerous times. And I'll predict another one right now. Because it's very simple to predict. We've made a colossal mess Jack. It's time to wake up and admit it.

How many more have to die before we get to the end of the neocon rainbow?

I know you don't buy into politics, unless it's Ron Paul (may he rest in peace). I know you think it's all partisan, except for Ron Paul (peace be upon him). But, you might have noticed Ron Paul (peace be upon the day he was born) isn't in the running... So get over it.

Yes, it's all a mess. One thing I do know, is that if the problem-- whether it's the debt or immigration or something else (like political correctness) the answer is not to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist, and the answer isn't to hush people who want to bring attention to the problem, whatever it is.

The answer is never to make the problem worse. If the problem is a big hole you find yourself in, the answer is not to dig faster.

If we have too many unskilled, unhappy immigrants living here, the answer is NOT free in-state tuition. It isn't free healthcare, food stamps and driver's licenses to pre-emptively get around voter ID laws. But that's what one particular party (DEMOCRATS) want to do. You can call that a partisan view if you like, I could care less. It's a fact.

How about we put them on buses and trains and get them out of the country before we can no longer recognize the country? Instead, this President is sending invites and bringing them in by bus and by train to your neighborhoods. Then something like this happens and happens again, and no-- you musn't talk about immigrants as if they are the one shooting and killing and stealing and drunk driving and trafficking drugs. Not even if they are.

Tell me why we shouldn't reduce the number of unskilled immigrants allowed and enticed into this country.

• Like 4

I don't see why it would be necessary, especially on a base that's in friendly territory. And bases are usually where new recruits go, so it's probably best not to let them near actual weapons till they can be trained and evaluated. What happened was a rare instance, and just kinda proves you aren't safe from getting shot ANYWHERE in America. You'd have to be on guard at the mall, at school, in the park, in church, at the movies... shootings happen everywhere (sadly). Accidental gun mishaps would be MUCH more common than a mass shooting.

There's been quite a few shootings like this on domestic military institutions in the last several years. Statistaclly rare maybe yet often enough to warrant better security detail for our military members.

Insensitive Words & Phrases Possible Alternatives Black sheep Outcast "Guys" (when referring to a mixed group) Friends; folks; group Oriental (when referring to people) Asian (using the specific nationality, i.e. Korean is even better, when possible) Acting like wild Indians Out of control Girls (when referring to coworkers) Women Policemen/postman Police officer/mail carrier Manhole Utility hole Chairman Chair Handicapped People with special needs; people who are physically/mentally challenged; people with disabilities Retarded Developmentally challenged Gifted children Advanced learners Race Ethnicity or nationality (There is only one race--human) Uneducated (when referring to adults) Lacking a formal education No culture (when referring to parts of the U.S. where the opera and the theater are scarce or nonexistent) Lacking European culture The little woman; the wife Your wife; his wife "Don't go postal on me!" No alternative; someone in your audience may have relatives who are postal workers Acting blonde No alternative Old people Seniors; "Chronologically Advantaged" b****y or "PMSing" Assertive "White" lie Lie (Calling it white does not make it okay) Flip chart Easel (Flip is a derogatory word referring to Filipinos) wheel-chair bound A person who uses a wheel-chair Jew down Negotiate Half-breed Multi-ethnic Blacklisted Banned "Manning" the project

Staffing the project

http://www.sideroad....t-language.html

Lots of schools have policies where Christmas cannot be mentioned. Christmas sweaters or jewelry cannot be worn. One, it's related to Christianity and two, not all kids celebrate Christmas. They are allowed to sing Happy Birthday because not all birthdays are happy. Before black boards, considering they were black, were replaced they were renamed as chalk boards. American flag shirts were banned so as not to offend students who aren't American. One state discontinued "Choose Life" specialty license plates not to offend the pro-choice crowd. The term "thug" is considered offensive because apparently it is considered the new "ni**er".

Not all politically incorrect words were ever meant in a derogatory way, but the meanings have been being twisted to make them offensive. Some people are simply looking for an excuse to be offended, stomping on other people's rights in the process.

That said, blackboards aren't actually black, they're green.

When I went to school they were still black :0

• Like 1

There are a lot of things that are politically correct and that I hope people keep doing. Not shooting psublic at random might be one extreme example.

I know you don't buy into politics, unless it's Ron Paul (may he rest in peace). I know you think it's all partisan, except for Ron Paul (peace be upon him). But, you might have noticed Ron Paul (peace be upon the day he was born) isn't in the running... So get over it.

Yes, it's all a mess. One thing I do know, is that if the problem-- whether it's the debt or immigration or something else (like political correctness) the answer is not to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist, and the answer isn't to hush people who want to bring attention to the problem, whatever it is.

The answer is never to make the problem worse. If the problem is a big hole you find yourself in, the answer is not to dig faster.

If we have too many unskilled, unhappy immigrants living here, the answer is NOT free in-state tuition. It isn't free healthcare, food stamps and driver's licenses to pre-emptively get around voter ID laws. But that's what one particular party (DEMOCRATS) want to do. You can call that a partisan view if you like, I could care less. It's a fact.

How about we put them on buses and trains and get them out of the country before we can no longer recognize the country? Instead, this President is sending invites and bringing them in by bus and by train to your neighborhoods. Then something like this happens and happens again, and no-- you musn't talk about immigrans as if they are the one shooting and killing and stealing and drunk driving and trafficking drugs. Not even if they are.

Tell me why we shouldn't reduce the number of unskilled immigrants allowed and enticed into this country.

20140208_FBC296.png

I don't know where you get your information about deportation but you might be the one ignoring your own solution. It's not like Obama isn't deporting illegals.

What provides the enticement? Easy citizenship. As I've already said, end easy citizenship. But you're not talking about that, or agreeing with me about that, you're talking about deportations. When you're breaking new records for deportations, I think your disapproval of the record numbers must be partisan. Even doing the right thing, it's never enough if it's not an R doing it.

I know you don't buy into politics, unless it's Ron Paul (may he rest in peace).

His son is running for President last I checked. And he just published a new book a few days ago you'd do yourself a favor to read. Not too shabby for a dead guy

http://www.amazon.com/Swords-into-Plowshares-Ron-Paul/dp/0996426507

Oc course there are extremists, but those people have little or no support. And I've seen no evidence thag any legitimate or credible group is demanding that the term blackboard, for instance, not be used, or any other household item be renamed. There's always been nut jobs out there, for sure, looking for their own personal spotlight. So, in order to really distinguish themselves from the crowd they often end up saying stuff that no one else will say because it's stupid in the first place. Like you, I'd like to hear less about those people, but darned if they don't keep showing up in the news. I wish news outlets were more selective about what they decide is newsworthy.

Obama won the Whitehouse with a majority in the both the House and Senate. He's had his man in the Department of Justice.... With all that evidence, why didn't he prosecute Bush? If you want to accuse Bush of something (even though Congress approved it) then you should charge him with something. Nothing to it.

Obama didn't prosecute Bush because he was going to keep doing what Bush was doing Jack. Did he want to establish a legal precedence where they'd be prosecuting him? He's not Cersei Lannister, he's smarter than that.

Bush won the White House on a court decision about Florida voting. It was a bad omen.

Obama escalated the war in Afghanistan which is at this point a failed state full of boogeymen and pirates. He was going to send more US troops in to fight ragtag fugitive guerrillas flowing into Afghanistan from across the Eastern world. Bush immediately sided with guerrillas full of people who didn't like us very much. It's been a disaster ever since. Obama wasn't smart enough to change the policy, he was only smart enough to do a "surge" ala George W in Iraq.

He sent the rest of the bin Ladens off on VIP flights out of the country before our people rightfully investigated them for connections to this horrifying mass murder. Of course he went easy on Osama too. Gave him a VIP pass straight out of Tora Bora. Then he sold F-16s to Pakistan. Obama didn't sell any F-16s to Pahkeestahn, which makes him better than Bush.

So now we definitely can't call it a blackboard, right?

So now we definitely can't call it a blackboard, right?

Pretty much - green board sounds silly though ;)

I will accept that! (just as soon as nobody else is offended by it!)

As I trust and knew you will :)

~

How Politically Correct and astute of you , however your retort kinda confirms how clueless you quite apparently is in regards to your proposed One Straw man indestructible Army ~

• Like 1

Good old Political Correctness. Just look how far we've come thanks to you.

1. Trying not to list what race a suspect is if they are non-white.

2. Not charging blacks who attack whites with a hate crime.

3. Not being able to have an all white group with out it being called racist, even though every other race is allowed to have one.

4. Allowing teachers to be able to say anything anti-white with out fear of being fired.

Wow, such progress. I sure can't wait till we end up as politically correct as Sweden is.

• Like 1

Is it acceptable to call a certain fruit a "pineapple?" One that always puzzled me is the "bathroom" in some place like a department store. For some reason people can't bring themselves to say "toilet," I guess, but those rooms don't have bathtubs, nor even a shower most of the time.

Political correctness is largely a matter of trying to be effective as a writer by eliminating word choices that distract the reader. Sexually presumptive words, for example, nowadays distort the thinking of a large part of the audience by causing them to think something like "sexist," and thereby reducing your credibility in what you want to say.

• Like 1