Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Enough with Political Correctness

Jack Skellington

Thinking about it, I guess it's not just politically incorrect but entirely incorrect to think of the Buddha as a god.

• Like 1

It's a wonderful time to connect with our ancestors. I always build an altar for them and include photos and things they liked. A cigar for my grandad, coffee for my mom, stuff like that. This year, thanks to something michelle said, I'm going to invite my southern slave owning ancestors to the altar for the first time, michelle, could you suggest some items to place on the altar to make them feel at home?

:w00t: I know you didn't mean that the way it could have been taken. It did strike me funny though.

I don't know about your ancestors, but I would leave some moonshine for mine. :D

• Like 2

:w00t: I know you didn't mean that the way it could have been taken. It did strike me funny though.

I don't know about your ancestors, but I would leave some moonshine for mine. :D

I'm in California, don't think I can get moonshine. How about some good bourbon? I saw some George Dickle in one of the stores here. I guess it did sound funny, but that's my intention, to honor them as my ancestors and hope that I gain a better understanding of them and their lives through that process. I guess I could put some food on the altar, maybe cornbread, hush puppies? I really don't know what the Southern gentry ate back in 1850.

It's like 100 days early. That's an entire season of Halloween.

Christians do seem to relish in pagan holidays. Maybe because in Christianity we're always supposed to be repenting for our sins, so the pagans taught us how to party.

Christmas is a stressful time due to the commercial expectations people have of it. Back in the old old days I bet it was a special time to relax.

Us pagans love ceremony, ritual, singing, dancing, wearing ceremonial clothes. We tried lighting an outdoor fire on a damp night last Halloween, using 151 rum. Never did get a fire started, but the rum was tasty! Pagans don't have a book, like the bible, nor much theology, but at it's essence, I think we celebrate many of the same things as Christians, the manifestation of the divine/sacred that is present in all of our lives, the importance of love, kindness, forgiveness, honoring our ancestors (saints, all those people in the bible), and taking responsibility for our lives in a way that makes us assets to the community.

• Like 1

By the way, you're welcome. :tu:

On a side note, we had breakfast at a Cracker Barrell during a road trip last week. I was amazed to see Hallween decorations already out. :blink:

I love the "Here Comes the Sun" solstice card. The sun is my totem, so it's perfect for me. Wow, Halloween merchandise and decorations already! Haven't seen any here yet, other than Day of the Dead stuff, which in California, one can find pretty much any time of the year.

I'm in California, don't think I can get moonshine. How about some good bourbon? I saw some George Dickle in one of the stores here. I guess it did sound funny, but that's my intention, to honor them as my ancestors and hope that I gain a better understanding of them and their lives through that process. I guess I could put some food on the altar, maybe cornbread, hush puppies? I really don't know what the Southern gentry ate back in 1850.

Moonshine is bottled and sold in liquor stores now, although George Dickle or Jack Daniels would be a good choice too. If they were from the coast i would say hush puppies. Inland cornbread or biscuits and pinto beans. Even for the wealthy, times were hard during the Civil War and people relied heavily on staples such a dried beans. It's difficult to anwer with so little information other than they were Southern slave owners which so few people were.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

I love the "Here Comes the Sun" solstice card. The sun is my totem, so it's perfect for me. Wow, Halloween merchandise and decorations already! Haven't seen any here yet, other than Day of the Dead stuff, which in California, one can find pretty much any time of the year.

Mine is the moon. :tu:

i do remember the days when I did danced under the full moon in nothing ... but with the moon ~

yes magic circles in the jungle where the bugs and creepies does seem to avoid really do exist ~

yeah prolitical corecctness it is really a shame who needs equality lets just embrace the spiral of violence. sarcasm off

Ignorant fools often forget that the terrorist groups are and were sponcored by teh USA, also Guantanomo were peopel are tortuered and killed doesnt seem to be so important. I don`t see where America is political correct, it is far off from it. Your militaristic society gives rise to terrorist atacks. In which civilized counrtries there are officers in schools....which civilized country has death penality and torture prisons around the world. No, America isnt political correct it is a political hypocracy.

The only thing which is going for her is legaliozed cannabis and homo marraige, but I think these things might be just a disguese to keep the masses entertained, while she goes for even more political incorecct and militaristic politics.

Is television offensive to the blind now?

Years ago--actually decades ago--realtors in California were told to curtail describing properties as having nice views, since that might offend the blind. Also outlawed: master bedroom, since "master" 1. Would be culturally insensitive to African Americans and 2. Would offend feminist sensibilities, given that the term might evoke the sense that men were the masters. When I was a kid, it simply meant "this is the biggest bedroom, the one the parents get." But I've noticed now here on the east coast, that bedroom is now labeled "Owner's Bedroom" on floor plans.

Sometimes these labels are just silly, though. People used to call Colin Powell an African-American. Yeah, he is american, and yes, his skin is light-skinned Black. He's the son of Jamaican immigrants and also has Scottish heritage, yet he's listed as the first African-American Secretary of State. Doesn't that do disservice to his real heritage? If we're going to go all hyphenated, shloudn't he be listed as the first Jamaican-Scottish-American Secretary of State?

I think the funniest example of political correctness gone awry was this: one of my siblings is a music prof at a prestigious liberal university. He was writing course descriptions for courses he'd be teaching one semester and opened the description of one as being designed for non-music majors. Straight forward enough--if you like music, but it's not your major, you might like this course. However, he was slapped on the wrist and told to revise--that opening was too negative because of the term "non-music major"! It might offend someone! He'd have to describe it some other way! (I suggested "Music majors--Stay out!!!")

• Like 6

I just read a story where cross-dressers are banned from a pride parade or something like it because it might offend the transvestites. LMAO! They're even turning on themselves. Idiots.

• Like 7

I think it is not bad to think twice about what impact your words could have, but of course it can lead to some ridicolous suggestions but that doesnt mean that the idea behind it is stupid. Also for the example with your sibling, I think the reason wasnt political corectness, but marketing it should sound welcoming so a lot of people think itmight be an interesting course, bt I could be wrong.

Maybe because in Christianity we're always supposed to be repenting for our sins, so the pagans taught us how to party.

LMAO! :tu:

I just read a story where cross-dressers are banned from a pride parade or something like it because it might offend the transvestites. LMAO! They're even turning on themselves. Idiots.

:w00t: I read that on Pink News. Did I ever mention I read a very wide variety from various news sources? Well, this proves it. *giggles*

I think it is not bad to think twice about what impact your words could have, but of course it can lead to some ridicolous suggestions but that doesnt mean that the idea behind it is stupid. Also for the example with your sibling, I think the reason wasnt political corectness, but marketing it should sound welcoming so a lot of people think itmight be an interesting course, bt I could be wrong.

The rest of the description was engaging and welcoming. It was the phrase "non-music major" that rankled. How else do you alert students the course is not one music majors should sign up for? "Students in all majors except music welcome"?

When a group is being excluded, language has to have some exclusionary element.

I'm glad he didn't have to deal with a course where a pre-requisite existed. Might have hurt the feelings of the poor students who hadn't taken the necessary pre-requisite courses.

At some point, common sense has to prevail.

Edited by 2-B

i do remember the days when I did danced under the full moon in nothing ... but with the moon ~

yes magic circles in the jungle where the bugs and creepies does seem to avoid really do exist ~

Swimmming starclad in tropical water during a full moon. Glorious! Until the baby jellyfish floated in and attached themselves to me and made me itch in places where no jellyfish should go. Is there always a serpent in paradise?

• Like 1

All mattters of courtesy and respect require what is called common sense, and using examples where common sense makes the rule obviously inapplicable is slippery slope fallacy and to my mind just someone looking for excuses to engage in racist or sexist or whatever behavior.

I would say that being offended by such thigs, just as being offended when someone is disrespectful, does no good and the only harm is to oneself.

Still, it also seems to me that one cannot let especially bad bits of racism and other such things go unremarked. This is tough. It may be a cultural blindness (as what happened to me once when I used the word "spastic"in central England -- it seems this word is tabu in Britain but of course frequently heard in the States without offense.

It may also be deliberate crudity for humor or a thrill of some sort or bad habid. I tend to avoid associating with such peoploe, especially if they rationalize or complain about political correctness. They aren't worth my time and I figure they say similar things about me when I'm not there.

Mine is the moon. :tu:

Ah, a high priestess. The moon is a beautiful totem.

• Like 1

Swimmming starclad in tropical water during a full moon. Glorious! Until the baby jellyfish floated in and attached themselves to me and made me itch in places where no jellyfish should go. Is there always a serpent in paradise?

It does not happen frequently and the more time spent swimming in the ocean the more you will realise that most of the time it is just you and the ocean and nothing more ~ what's a jelly sting now and then here or there ? :)

Moonshine is bottled and sold in liquor stores now, although George Dickle or Jack Daniels would be a good choice too. If they were from the coast i would say hush puppies. Inland cornbread or biscuits and pinto beans. Even for the wealthy, times were hard during the Civil War and people relied heavily on staples such a dried beans. It's difficult to anwer with so little information other than they were Southern slave owners which so few people were.

Beans i can do. I'm assuming they owned slaves because they were plantation owners in virginia, originally scots highlanders, i think.

Beans i can do. I'm assuming they owned slaves because they were plantation owners in virginia, originally scots highlanders, i think.

I'm rather surprised you would assume they were slave owners without evidence. Only about 2% of the people in the South owned slaves. Many, many more had sharecroppers to help them tend the fields. A plantation basically means a big house with a large yard. It could be a couple of acres or a thousand.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

I'm rather surprised you would assume they were slave owners without evidence. Only about 2% of the people in the South owned slaves. Many, many more had sharecroppers to help them tend the fields. A plantation basically means a big house with a large yard. It could be a couple of acres or a thousand.

I didn't know that, thanks for the information. I've always thought "Plantation" referred to a big spread with lots of fields that required a lot of labor.

It does not happen frequently and the more time spent swimming in the ocean the more you will realise that most of the time it is just you and the ocean and nothing more ~ what's a jelly sting now and then here or there ? :)

I've done around 75 SCUBA dives, the only thing that really got to me were those darn embryo jellyfish. They cling to the skin and itch like crazy. The only way to get them to release is to pour fresh water over them. I've seen lion fish, stonefish, sharks, giant clams, huge schools of barracuda, huge eels, been to the fresh water jellyfish lake in Palau, those little jellyfish and the aggressive lion fish made me decide to stop doing night dives.

• Like 1

I've done around 75 SCUBA dives, the only thing that really got to me were those darn embryo jellyfish. They cling to the skin and itch like crazy. The only way to get them to release is to pour fresh water over them. I've seen lion fish, stonefish, sharks, giant clams, huge schools of barracuda, huge eels, been to the fresh water jellyfish lake in Palau, those little jellyfish and the aggressive lion fish made me decide to stop doing night dives.

I know what you mean ... the lion fish likes to show off ... not all that familiar with them fact be told ~ I'm more sun beach and sand than corals and reefs :)

~