Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something roaming in the woods

UM-Bot

Story submission by: Tone Location: Salt Fork, Ohio

This happened well over 10 years ago, so I cannot provide dates, but my experience happened in Salt Fork, Ohio. I had forgotten about it for years until a silly television show jolted my memory. Now the more i think on it, and write on it, the more details I remember, and the more intriguing it beco...

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/111627/something-roaming-in-the-woods

• Like 1

I know the area you are talking about. So much of that entire area is forested with the overall population being pretty sparse, as well as a good deal of tributaries, streams, etc. leading down to the Ohio. I've always wondered if there is a big foot why there aren't more sightings around there. Maybe it's because of just what I said, pretty sparse population.

• Like 2

As I got a bit farther away, I thought that maybe it would not follow us if I let off a shot or two, so I did. I fired 2 rounds into the dark woods.

Seems a bit reckless to me.

What if, it turned out to be someone trying to scare you?

Hiding in the tree line, using some sort of apparatus to make the scream you heard?

• Like 2

Hiding in the tree line, using some sort of apparatus to make the scream you heard?

I agree that firing rounds into the woods at night was probably not the safest, or the smartest thing I have ever done. But my thought process at the time was:

"if somebody is stupid enough to be creeping around the woods after dark, and making extremely loud noises trying to frighten campers, then they deserve to get shot."

Not saying that was the correct way to think, or the correct thing to do, but at the time, it made sense.

I do not known where you are from, but in Ohio, especially southern Ohio, if you are in some deep woods, you are EXPECTED to be armed. If a Park Ranger, walked up to a campsite in a pitch black Southern Ohio forest at night, he would expect the campers to have weapons. He would probably be more concerned if the campers were UNARMED as opposed to being ARMED.

It's a different way of life out there....

Edited by GoPlayonAhighway
  • Like 2

I know the area you are talking about. So much of that entire area is forested with the overall population being pretty sparse, as well as a good deal of tributaries, streams, etc. leading down to the Ohio. I've always wondered if there is a big foot why there aren't more sightings around there. Maybe it's because of just what I said, pretty sparse population.

Check this out: http://www.bfro.net/...unty=Guernsey

we are definitely not the only people that heard something weird in those woods. You had to be there to believe me, but if you happen to hear this thing, you will want to soil your drawers.. I do not think it cares for humans..whatever the hell it is,....

• Like 1

Not a Bigfoot, that is for sure.

Not a Bigfoot, that is for sure.

Nobody even knows what a "bigfoot" is. So i agree, it was no "bigfoot". But it was something none of us had ever heard anything like in our lives. I still have never heard anything that even comes CLOSE to the sound that came out of the woods that night. It is hard to describe in words, and there is no other animal sound that is even a suitable comparison.

So it's not a bigfoot, but a lot of people have come forward over the years with stories about something in the Salt Fork woods. I don't know what, but something very large, and extremely rare, was scaring a lot of people out of the woods.

Not to mention, most people who experience something like that (a scary encounter that is inexplicable), they would not say a WORD about it to anyone. That is how MOST people react to the unknown. In southern Ohio, I bet 95% of all strange encounters go unreported. That is just how they are down there.. Old school.

• Like 1

Not to mention, most people who experience something like that (a scary encounter that is inexplicable), they would not say a WORD about it to anyone. That is how MOST people react to the unknown. In southern Ohio, I bet 95% of all strange encounters go unreported. That is just how they are down there.. Old school.

Serious question.

How would anyone know this fact on numbers, especially if those numbers are not telling anyone. You ( or whoever gave that information ) made that up, obviously.

Sounds like a false piece of evidence to support a " unknown creature ".

Serious question.

How would anyone know this fact on numbers, especially if those numbers are not telling anyone. You ( or whoever gave that information ) made that up, obviously.

I'm sorry but you are way more argumentative than knowledgeable.

How am I arguing?

if 90% of the people that experienced this have told no one, than how would anyone know?

Even better, even if one of these people spoke up, how would you know about the other 88%?

And, may I ask, how do you know how much knowledge I have on this?

• Like 1

Serious question.

I wrote the words "I bet" before I made that statement about the numbers. When somebody opens a statement with "I bet", they usually do not mean that this is information from a source that can be independently verified. At least I do not mean to imply that....

Funny thing is, I did not think I was arguing with anybody! I didn't know this was an argument actually. Well, we may disagree, but I respect your right to take a stance on what you believe.!

So I guess..: "you do you, and I'm gonna do me."

• Like 1

I wrote the words "I bet" before I made that statement about the numbers. When somebody opens a statement with "I bet", they usually do not mean that this is information from a source that can be independently verified. At least I do not mean to imply that....

Funny thing is, I did not think I was arguing with anybody! I didn't know this was an argument actually. Well, we may disagree, but I respect your right to take a stance on what you believe.!

So I guess..: "you do you, and I'm gonna do me."

Actually, you did not put " I bet " in front of the quote I quoted. If so, I would have not replied like I did. If you meant that it was just your opinion, than so be it. I still call it a made up piece of evidence to try to support a unknown creature.

If you heard something, I am sure it is a known thing. Doubt any of us will ever answer it for you though.

I think the person was saying I am arguing, and that is also a false statement :)

Edited by Sakari

A scream from a tree line isn't much to go by, so likely it'll remain just that, a story. Odd that anyone would ever forget such an incident though. Heck I can remember a time as a child when I stepped on a honey Bee.

• Like 1

A scream from a tree line isn't much to go by, so likely it'll remain just that, a story. Odd that anyone would ever forget such an incident though. Heck I can remember a time as a child when I stepped on a honey Bee.

I understand that my account of an event that happened a decade ago, is not going to hold up as "evidence". I also understand that most people will think I am spinning a tale for my own amusement, or that I am exaggerating the details in an attempt to gain interest in an "unknown creature".

To that I say, this is an account written from memory. It is not "evidence". I am not out to prove the existence of a so called "bigfoot". I am not part of any organization or website that promotes "bigfoot". I do not care for, and I am not affiliated with the show "Finding Bigfoot". I am not a member, fan, or follower of the B.F.R.O(bigfoot research organization). I have no ulterior motives by posting my experience.

The thing i find interesting about this situation, is the fact so many other people have had "encounters" with an unknown creature in the same area, around the same time frame. It would be impossible for all of these accounts to have been an elaborate hoax, or some marketing scheme.

I am not asking you to believe my story, I am asking you to take a look at the situation and events as a whole. Then do your own research and decide what you believe.

As the saying goes "where there is smoke, there is fire." And the fact is, a lot of people with nothing to gain, but a lot to lose, have come forward with accounts of an unknown creature in those woods. Also, no sightings or encounters were reported at all after a certain time. All of the reports started around the same time, and all of the reports stopped completely after a certain time. If this was some hoax or prank, people would never have stopped making claims.

I believe "something" (no idea what) was roaming the woods of Salt Fork for a period.

• Like 2

One confirmed hoaxed video is from there......( more I am sure, but I am off to bed )

• Like 1

One confirmed hoaxed video is from there......( more I am sure, but I am off to bed )

I do not understand what that has to do with anything we are threading about on here, but good night! And remember, i am not trying to convince you of anything or make you believe in anything that you do not. But if you take a logical approach, and look at the evidence as a whole, you will see what I am trying to explain.

I do not understand what that has to do with anything we are threading about on here, but good night! And remember, i am not trying to convince you of anything or make you believe in anything that you do not. But if you take a logical approach, and look at the evidence as a whole, you will see what I am trying to explain.

It has to do with an area with known hoaxers. Same area.....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree, very poor firearms discipline. If you had fired into the ground it would have had the same desired result.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This is like bigfoot encounters. They throw things. They yell. They are big and hairy. They are in every state but Hawaii. One time my wife and I were camping in the Ozarks in a tent. It was pitch black and we heard something walk out of the woods. I never camp unarmed, so I did the same stupid thing you did. I fired my .45 Colt automatic into the dark in the direction of the sound. After our ears stopped ringing and my wife stopped b****ing me out, we listened and it was gone. At daylight we found nothing there.

• Like 1

Ah I don't know if shooting things in the dark is such a smart idea. Comes from being frightened and having a gun nearby -- and could have ended up in a tragic death of, say, one of your children or your wife. That is the problem with guns -- it is too easy to use them before you have a chance to think a little.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I allways carry a firearm while camping/fishing its the difference of being eaten by a predator or not, but i most certainly would never fire aimlessly into the dark, or at anything until i could be sure of the nature of it!

This sounds nothing more than a campfire tale

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yep!

Never fire at unknown targets.

• Like 1

No real woodsman would shoot, blindly, at something in the dark. Just another tenderfoot with a case of "lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"

• Like 2

No real woodsman would shoot, blindly, at something in the dark. Just another tenderfoot with a case of "lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"

Do I smell a "No true Scotsman" fallacy.

LOL! J/K

• Like 1