Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking backs venture to listen for aliens

Waspie_Dwarf

What if intelligent aliens use other methods to communicate? and maybe they don't send radio signals into space.

I've often wondered this, myself.

• Like 1

Of course finding a planet with non intelligent life and vegetation would be amazing...but there is always the assumption aliens must be advanced in some way. Europa is one of the best candidates for life...(in our ss), but it transmits nothing in the way of intelligent signals

I'm not sure what you mean. If we are talking about detecting alien life through receiving radio signals, then by definition they have to be technologically advanced.

What if intelligent aliens use other methods to communicate? and maybe they don't send radio signals into space.

What other methods of communication are you thinking of?

What if the communicate through extra dimensions, or they have found a way to use the strings(string theory) to communicate. Like to cans attached to a string. Or some how using quantum entanglement to send messages across vast distances.

Now this is all hypothetical and assumptions. My inner geek had to burst through.

Or some how using quantum entanglement to send messages across vast distances.

If you read about the Bell Inequality and so on you will see why entanglement can't be used to send useful information.

It is likely by logic that if an advanced alien species transmit signals with the aim to communicate with others or species

they haven`t had communication b4, and if this advanced species is able to use other channels for comms that are more

advanced than radio signals, then they are for sure aware about the communication possibilities by radio waves as this

species might had used radio wave at an earlier stage of their development. So, if the aim of such species is to look

for comms with unknown species, radio waves would also be used to expand the option for a success. If they wouldn`t

use radio wavs as well, so in addition to the "advanced method", they would reduce the possible options for contact/s

and that would be illogical as it would be against the general aim, means to find other species. The same is valid if

this advanced species is just listening for others and also in this case they would look for radio waves as well.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

Why is it such an ingrained assumption that any so-called Íntelligent' species from 'Space'will evolve the same technology as we use...shouldnt such a search be exploring the possibility and potential of technology that may not be based on what we know?

What other methods of communication are you thinking of?

Ghostly neutrino's or gravitational waves.

http://www.dailygala...s-or-gravi.html

I think a civilisation able to harness the energy from it's own sun for instance would have moved beyond mere radio waves.

Edited by shaddow134

Why is it such an ingrained assumption that any so-called Íntelligent' species from 'Space'will evolve the same technology as we use...shouldnt such a search be exploring the possibility and potential of technology that may not be based on what we know?

How could we do that? We have to search based on what we know, and the way we search is by using physics and mathematics. Those are known constants in the universe. So it makes sense for us to use a variation of those branches. Consider if you were lost in the wilderness in some remote location in the Himalayas. No local understands your language. You're injured, but you have a mirror, and you shine it hoping to attract attention. Why not use a radio? Because simpler is better, especially if the intention is just saying, "Hey! I'm here!"

• Like 5

Ghostly neutrino's or gravitational waves.

http://www.dailygala...s-or-gravi.html

I think a civilisation able to harness the energy from it's own sun for instance would have moved beyond mere radio waves.

Neither neutrinos nor gravitational waves travel faster than light, so why bother?

• Like 1

Does anybody know why they believe this will be more successful then all the listening that's has been done the past 30 years? I also wouldn't worry about replying to any message or other signal that might be caught by this new experiment chances are that it would originate in a system over 100 Ly away.

• Like 1

Does anybody know why they believe this will be more successful then all the listening that's has been done the past 30 years? I also wouldn't worry about replying to any message or other signal that might be caught by this new experiment chances are that it would originate in a system over 100 Ly away.

It's probably more to do with the publicity generated for the various business people who are funding the project than the project itself.

If you read about the Bell Inequality and so on you will see why entanglement can't be used to send useful information.

We'll as far as we understand it anyway or did I miss the announcement of quantum mechanics and all it's possibilities exhausted and proven?

Also it was said in jest I know little of quantum physics and even less about string theory B).

I do have mixed feelings with the experiment though.

Edit to add: to clarify I am referring to Hawkings search not the bell inequality, when I use the word experiment.

Edited by Shouldthisexist

They already know we are here, the more advanced ones anyway, and I believe they have already been here. Too many reports from reputable people. If this were a murder trial you would find yourself on death row because of the eye witnesses and other evidence. Good news the ones that have been here so far don't seem to want to kill us but others might.

I'm all for listening just not reponding.

Reports from reputable people have left many an innocent person on death row. The Griffith University Innocence Project managed to overturn 75% of the eyewitness cases they took on with DNA Evidence and freed many innocent people who were convicted by eyewitness testimony.

Testimony has proven itself worthless as evidence.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

We can't hide anymore. We have been advertising our existence ever since we invented radio and radar.

I guess it would be a political question whether to respond or not, but to me the possible benefits is worth the very small risk.

Actually, just to be a bit pedantic, sorry :-)

Our broadcast radio/tv signals don't really get much further than the edge of the solar system. The most powerful signals are those of the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System (BMEWS) and theoretically they will be out at ~200 light years before they are gone in the background noise. Forget Lucy, ET is never going to catch her.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 4

What if the communicate through extra dimensions, or they have found a way to use the strings(string theory) to communicate. Like to cans attached to a string. Or some how using quantum entanglement to send messages across vast distances.

Now this is all hypothetical and assumptions. My inner geek had to burst through.

:tu: Theoretical Superluminal communication.

LINK

• Like 1

Because we all have to use the same physics, and life is likely to resemble us.

• Like 1

Makes me wonder, is Mr. Hawking totally oblivious of the Disclosure Project, the Rockefeller Initiative, the Citizen Hearing on Disclosure, the Congressional Hearing Initiative, CE5 Initiative, etc. etc.

Makes me wonder, is Mr. Hawking totally oblivious of the Disclosure Project, the Rockefeller Initiative, the Citizen Hearing on Disclosure, the Congressional Hearing Initiative, CE5 Initiative, etc. etc.

Not at all, but I fail to see what those silly pet rip off scams have to do with an actual search for intelligent life.

• Like 6

This appears to be a more focussed effort on local systems.

Why would he be? Real scientists don't normally bother with garbage like what those represents. Even if he was, so what? They have nothing to offer but a scam.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 7

Being that Hawking is a man of science and reason I can't see why he would pay any sort of mind to such things. They're fun to think about, I suppose, to a certain degree... however they are fun to think about in the same way that I think of faeries, leprechauns, pixies, astrology, and ghosts/demons/spirits.

• Like 4

Why would he be? Real scientists don't normally bother with garbage like what those represents. Even if he was, so what? They have nothing to offer but a scam.

Cheers,

Badeskov

The number one thing a scam does is avoid the attention of authorities and investigation by authorities.

Do you even know what the Congressional Hearing Initiative is? Did you know that the Disclosure Petition VII - Congressional Hearing, that started on January 6, 2015, ended its run on the White House website on February 5 with 13,897 signatures? It was #3 of the 68 active petitions at that time.

Also, this year alone, 70 congressional offices of members sitting on five relevant committees have received requests for meetings. These committees are the two Select Committees on Intelligence, two Science/Space committees and the Senate Homeland Security committee.

If these people are conducting, as you say, a scam, they're doing a very bad job of avoiding the attention of power figures that can take steps to stop scams with immediate effect.

Oh, and it's all about pushing for congressional hearings, where, as the PRG website states, "scores of military/agency/political witnesses of rank and station are prepared to testify under oath now before an appropriate congressional committee regarding events and evidence that collectively confirm an extraterrestrial presence."

Is that how you do a scam?

Edited by Rolci

Prof Stephen Hawking backs venture to listen for aliens

I'm going to argue in 100 years time we still won't have detected an alien civilization.

The reason being is that a very narrow gap exists from a civilization arising to it becoming nomadic. If it doesn't go nomadic within that time gap it gets picked off by hostile aliens looking for slaves, technology and plunder. All nomadic aliens have complete stealth technology preventing their detection.

They are already here on Earth but it's nice to know scientists are finally waking up to the reality of extraterrestrials.

If this were a murder trial you would find yourself on death row because of the eye witnesses and other evidence.

An unfortunate choice of analogy considering the amount of death row inmates that have been released because their convictions relied on eye witness testimony which was proven to be unreliable and either worthless on its own or overturned by exonerating much more reliable evidence.

edit: Should read the whole thread, I see psyche101 has beaten me to this point.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 1