Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking backs venture to listen for aliens

Waspie_Dwarf

They are already here on Earth but it's nice to know scientists are finally waking up to the reality of extraterrestrials.

I love ideas like this, because whether or not I post, I have to ask, "How do you know that?" knowing full well it may be opening a can of worms, but what's this place for, if not that?

• Like 1

They are already here on Earth but it's nice to know scientists are finally waking up to the reality of extraterrestrials.

Do you mind explaining how you know this?

• Like 1

The number one thing a scam does is avoid the attention of authorities and investigation by authorities.

Nonsense,

Work At Home!! Become a Millionaire Overnight!!!

Sound familiar?

This particular scam uses Ex Government Officials itself!! The ONLY time the general public seem to trust their Government officials are when they are DEFINITELY scamming them!!

And I would love to see the Court Case.

Your Honor, I have proven a negative..........

Do you even know what the Congressional Hearing Initiative is? Did you know that the Disclosure Petition VII - Congressional Hearing, that started on January 6, 2015, ended its run on the White House website on February 5 with 13,897 signatures? It was #3 of the 68 active petitions at that time.

Anyone in these circles does. It is a scam.

On 9/22/11 PRG petitioned the President to formally acknowledge an extraterrestrial presence engaging the human race.

Grow up man. There is NO ET contact happening, it is pop culture gone wild. nothing more. That many uninformed people who think they can get an education from the back of a breakfast cereal box who fall for this claptrap does not mean it is even the slightest bit accurate.

Also, this year alone, 70 congressional offices of members sitting on five relevant committees have received requests for meetings. These committees are the two Select Committees on Intelligence, two Science/Space committees and the Senate Homeland Security committee.

So a bunch of crackpots made some unreasonable demands based on their own fantasies - that means what now???

If these people are conducting, as you say, a scam, they're doing a very bad job of avoiding the attention of power figures that can take steps to stop scams with immediate effect.

No, they are doing a very good job of scamming the public, Greer charges $800.00 to look at a moth and calls it an alien. They are selling to the power people, the retirees who find all of a sudden they are not important anymore. It's a lot more depressing than people realise. So many things "ahh rubbish they get over it" they do not. To be in such an important position, and then to find everything suddenly removed has more impact than many realise, I would suggest reading The Man Who Fell To Earth by Buzz Aldrin, who speaks of his personal battle and resulting alcohol problems.

Oh, and it's all about pushing for congressional hearings, where, as the PRG website states, "scores of military/agency/political witnesses of rank and station are prepared to testify under oath now before an appropriate congressional committee regarding events and evidence that collectively confirm an extraterrestrial presence."

Yeah, like batshit crazy Paul Hellyer who will happily charge you aplenty to read form someone's UFO novel. He has no insider knowledge, and these claims are full of crap. Think about it, the people who make the claims ought to be able to provide evidence for them, there are no better people on the planet to provide just that. But they fail if requested or challenged to do so.

Rather than a massive expose, it's just a hobby club for retirees with an ETH passion left over from pioneers who took wild guesses about space.

Is that how you do a scam?

Yep.

More specifically, like this:

GreerMoth.jpg

And like this:

Screen%252520Shot%2525202013-06-12%252520at%2525202.00.14%252520PM.png

• Like 2

How about Telepathy? Simply because you dont believe it happens doesnt mean that it cant happen.....Is it because it doesnt cost any money that research tends to ignore its potential, then there are other forms like crystal induction where some crystals exhibit a 'sister'type of response, i.e when light is shone on one sister, the other also illuminates...now that could be a money spinner...never heard of them...well get digging and explore possibilities....

(S******s as he waits for the same old same olds....)Oooooo...snig gers isnt a nasty word you dumb filter...duh!)

Edited by Whisperer

How about Telepathy? Simply because you dont believe it happens doesnt mean that it cant happen.....Is it because it doesnt cost any money that research tends to ignore its potential, then there are other forms like crystal induction where some crystals exhibit a 'sister'type of response, i.e when light is shone on one sister, the other also illuminates...now that could be a money spinner...never heard of them...well get digging and explore possibilities....

(S******s as he waits for the same old same olds....)

The CIA spent 20 million on remote viewing, it turned out to be a waste of time. And Money, so there has been research in that area, and quite a bit of it.

There is no good reason to think telepathy can happen without technological assistance. What reason is there to propose such, or is it just imagination?

Photonic Crystals affect the motion of photons and affect structural colouration, is that what you re talking about?

• Like 2

Makes me wonder, is Mr. Hawking totally oblivious of the Disclosure Project, the Rockefeller Initiative, the Citizen Hearing on

Disclosure, the Congressional Hearing Initiative, CE5 Initiative, etc. etc.

The answer is:

"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking

SETI is a field of science and so for scientists only. There is no room in this field for mystics, tree huggers, crystal kissers,

questionable profiteers, fuzzy images/vids, reports by drunken farmers and similar.

• Like 3

It's probably more to do with the publicity generated for the various business people who are funding the project than the project

itself.

This statement makes no sense at all. Or what do you think would be the target audience for such a marketing action, with costs of

100M USD? Even if Bill Gates would fund SETI with that volume, its unlikely that the return of investment generated by an increased

sales of Windows products due to the action would be close to the investment volume.

Given the vast, vast size of our Universe - It should be Obvious to Everyone that there must be Billions of Planets with Intelligent Beings. The problem of contacting any of them is the enormous light-distances that separate us from them. On top of that hurdle, the Universe is expanding and thereby increasing the distances even more !

Hmm, I wonder how they ever found us. That would be like you finding a specific single grain of sand on one of our beaches on Earth.

They already know we are here, the more advanced ones anyway, and I believe they have already been here. Too many reports from reputable people. If this were a murder trial you would find yourself on death row because of the eye witnesses and other evidence. Good news the ones that have been here so far don't seem to want to kill us but others might.

I'm all for listening just not reponding.

We have thousands of witnesses who saw something, but we don't have any evidence that what they saw was an alien space craft.

So to use your analogy we have thousands of people who think they saw a murder, but we have no victim !

A murder trial need physical evidence, not just eyewitness reports.

• Like 4

This statement makes no sense at all. Or what do you think would be the target audience for such a marketing action, with costs of

100M USD? Even if Bill Gates would fund SETI with that volume, its unlikely that the return of investment generated by an increased

sales of Windows products due to the action would be close to the investment volume.

I for one had never heard of billionaire investor Yuri Milner until yesterday (but then again, I don't get out much). Did you notice how during the press conference he repeatedly mentioned the importance of social networking in making the Breakthrough Listen project work? Oh, I see Milner is a big shareholder in Facebook!

What the Breakthrough Listen project is aiming to do is laudable, but when big businesses invest in anything, they want a return. There is nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

We'll as far as we understand it anyway or did I miss the announcement of quantum mechanics and all it's possibilities exhausted and proven?

Also it was said in jest I know little of quantum physics and even less about string theory B).

I do have mixed feelings with the experiment though.

Edit to add: to clarify I am referring to Hawkings search not the bell inequality, when I use the word experiment.

I know you were joking. However, I thought it prudent to mention the Bell Inequality because due to the experimental violation of that, not only do we know quantum entanglement is real, we know it can't be used to send meaningful messages faster than light. If I didn't mention that, some people might have flown off on tangents claiming that is how ET communicates.

Similarly with neutrinos. Remember the hoo-ha back in 2012 when the media said "Einstein was wrong!" because neutrinos were measured travelling faster than light. It turned out to be nothing more than a faulty connection.

I am all for speculation, but it has to be done within the laws of physics.

• Like 1

I for one had never heard of billionaire investor Yuri Milner until yesterday (but then again, I don't get out much). Did you notice how

during the press conference he repeatedly mentioned the importance of social networking in making the Breakthrough Listen project

work? Oh, I see Milner is a big shareholder in Facebook!

Ok but his few words about FB will not bring a return of investment >100M, never-ever. His asset is at 1B, and increasing thats for sure,

and big boys need big playgrounds, like Paul Allen (ex MS) who had spend millions to SETI as well in 2001. And we can be very happy

that there are these big boys who make SETI possible in that extent with big money as politics never funded with such amounts of

money and never will despite the fact that the research is, as per my opinion, to search for and to get the answer of one of the biggest

questions, or better said the biggest one ever, of humanity.

Given the vast, vast size of our Universe - It should be Obvious to Everyone that there must be Billions of Planets with Intelligent Beings. The problem of contacting any of them is the enormous light-distances that separate us from them. On top of that hurdle, the Universe is expanding and thereby increasing the distances even more !

You will find, my friend, that the majority on this forum are still living in the dark ages, with a geocentric world-view. They honestly believe that the Earth is the centre of the Universe. That life started here in OUR cluster, OUR galaxy, OUR solar system, OUR planet, that we are somehow special, and life is unique to this one planet in the cosmos.

You don't need to read too much into panspermia and extremophiles to realize how resilient life itself is, and how easy it is for it to spread from planet to planet. Especially if you look at the sudden technological developments biological entities like humans are capable of making. 100 years ago we were fighting ourselves, only dreaming of space flight, since then we have conquered it, sent man to the Moon (arguably), sent probes outside the solar system, and even pessimistic guesses would put man on Mars within 50 years, more like 15-20. Which makes no difference on a cosmic scale, on which even from the emergence of humans to our modern civilization is merely a blink of an eye. Yes, we will be spreading more life into the cosmos. What does that mean in 100 years? Colonies across the solar system. 1000 years? The galaxy charted and colonized. 10.000? Can't even guess. 100.000? And what's 100.000 years on a cosmic scale? We will have spread life all across the galaxy, even without breaking the light speed barrier. Imagine 100.000 years with us having perfected faster than SOL travel and/or teleportaion, and genetic engineering to grow crops in new environments. The universe will be teeming with life.

At least, according to all the smart folks on this forum. Who believe that it all begins with us, right here, right now. Because we are special. And we are the very forefathers of all life that will ever exist in the entire Universe in the following billions of years. And nothing similar could possibly have happened in the past few billions of years that we may be a product of.

It takes quite a quantum leap for folks to break away from the geocentric "it all stars with us" idea. Many are not ready for such a leap just yet. Typical flat-earthers.

Ok but his few words about FB will not bring a return of investment >100M, never-ever. His asset is at 1B, and increasing thats for sure,

and big boys need big playgrounds, like Paul Allen (ex MS) who had spend millions to SETI as well in 2001. And we can be very happy

that there are these big boys who make SETI possible in that extent with big money as politics never funded with such amounts of

money and never will despite the fact that the research is, as per my opinion, to search for and to get the answer of one of the biggest

questions, or better said the biggest one ever, of humanity.

I agree that it is great these billionaires are funding SETI. And I also agree that to a large extent they are doing it because it must be great fun. I can't prove this, but I believe over the course of the ten year project FaceBook and the other businesses will get a return in the sense that they will receive at least $100 million worth of international publicity. Just look at the media coverage they received yesterday.

As an example of this sort of thing, consider Virgin Galactic. Almost half a billion dollars has been invested in the company. Each ticket will cost $250,000, and the projected profit per customer is $50,000. That means the company will need 50,000 customers to pay back the investment. That will require over 8,000 flights of space planes the size of Space-Ship Two. That will take decades. But is the company concerned? Not at all because the massive publicity generated for the rest of the Virgin Group outweighs the investment in Virgin Galactic.

You will find, my friend, that the majority on this forum are still living in the dark ages, with a geocentric world-view. They honestly believe that the Earth is the centre of the Universe. That life started here in OUR cluster, OUR galaxy, OUR solar system, OUR planet, that we are somehow special, and life is unique to this one planet in the cosmos.

No one has said this. But don't mind me, go back to beating your straw man.
  • Like 7

Good luck finding anyone in that "majority".

The truth is that most of believe there is alien life, we just don't believe the scammers and con artists who take videos of puppets at windows, misinterpret paintings or whiners on youtube crying about NASA covering up obvious rocks or motherships feeding off the sun as evidence of alien life.

• Like 5

If you have paid attention you would know the people that you say have a "geocentric world-view" are actually the very same people that come out in support of SETI. Why would we do that if we didn't belive that there was life elsewhere in the universe ?

The difference between SETI and what you are doing, is that SETI operates on scientic principles, while ufology is based on misidentification, hearsay, guesswork, lies and outright falsification.

As I have said before when confronted with your very common strawman argument: I believe in the possibility of alien life, but until we have solid evidence it remains a belief.

• Like 1

The CIA spent 20 million on remote viewing, it turned out to be a waste of time. And Money, so there has been research in that area, and quite a bit of it.

There is no good reason to think telepathy can happen without technological assistance. What reason is there to propose such, or is it just imagination?

Photonic Crystals affect the motion of photons and affect structural colouration, is that what you re talking about?

Dont know what your on about, Telepathy is not remote viewing and neither is it anything else...

Take the word for its literal meaning, tele = Long range...Pathy = empathy...put them together and you have telepathy, is their some confusion here?

Perhaps its my upbringing or perhaps you are diliberatly misconstruing my intent but no matter...it is a subject that has travelled down the ages where many folks, my imediate circle included, have reported incidences of spontaneous telepathy, knowing when a loved one was in trouble, some one showing up out of the blue but expected or even just thinking a thought or name and seeing them after a great absence, all in the realms of telepathy....

Many are the times the missus and I have called to each other for help and been answered without knowing why or how we 'knew'..or one of my children needing support etc....

Its an avenue that remains ignored but shows good possibilities..woo or not.

Mind you, many are the times where no such incidences occurr too but then again, we are all at a loss as to how such things work, we only know that in some instances, what we describe as telepathy does in fact occure...

A worthy area of exploration and as such one which may provide the means for reaching out to the stars so to speak....

(*wheres the darn spell check gone again?)

Edited by Whisperer

Take the word for its literal meaning, tele = Long range...Pathy = empathy...put them together and you have telepathy, is their some confusion here?

Surely the root meaning of "pathy" is "feelings". Hence telepathy means "feelings from afar". That still does't mean it is real, of course.

You don't need to read too much into panspermia and extremophiles to realize how resilient life itself is, and how easy it is for it to spread from planet to planet. Especially if you look at the sudden technological developments biological entities like humans are capable of making. 100 years ago we were fighting ourselves, only dreaming of space flight, since then we have conquered it, sent man to the Moon (arguably), sent probes outside the solar system, and even pessimistic guesses would put man on Mars within 50 years, more like 15-20. Which makes no difference on a cosmic scale, on which even from the emergence of humans to our modern civilization is merely a blink of an eye. Yes, we will be spreading more life into the cosmos. What does that mean in 100 years? Colonies across the solar system. 1000 years? The galaxy charted and colonized. 10.000? Can't even guess. 100.000? And what's 100.000 years on a cosmic scale? We will have spread life all across the galaxy, even without breaking the light speed barrier. Imagine 100.000 years with us having perfected faster than SOL travel and/or teleportaion, and genetic engineering to grow crops in new environments. The universe will be teeming with life.

At least, according to all the smart folks on this forum. Who believe that it all begins with us, right here, right now. Because we are special. And we are the very forefathers of all life that will ever exist in the entire Universe in the following billions of years. And nothing similar could possibly have happened in the past few billions of years that we may be a product of.

It takes quite a quantum leap for folks to break away from the geocentric "it all stars with us" idea. Many are not ready for such a leap just yet. Typical flat-earthers.

Indeed, who can know or can even imagine where we humans will be in 10 000 years (if we are still around by that time). Nevertheless, the question of of the vast light-speed distances remains. It is logical that there are possibly millions (or many more)of civilizations 'out there', who are thousands, if not even millions, of years ahead of us. So where are they? Where are their signals? Surely, any civilization which is so far ahead of us would be curious and capable of sending probes across the Universe to scan for intelligent life.

Edited by Hartmut

Who can know or can even imagine where we humans will be in 10 000 years (if we are still around by that time). Nevertheless, the question of of the vast light-speed distances barrier remains. It is logical that there are possibly millions (or many more) of civilizations 'out there', who are thousands, if not even millions, of years ahead of us.

So where are they? Where are their signals? Surely, any civilization which is so far ahead of us would be curious and capable of sending probes across the Universe to scan for intelligent life.

Are we all prisoners of of the gigantic size of the Universe, where any inhabited planet is more like one singly grain of sand from one of our beaches,

and just as impossible to find?

I know you were joking. However, I thought it prudent to mention the Bell Inequality because due to the experimental violation of that, not only do we know quantum entanglement is real, we know it can't be used to send meaningful messages faster than light. If I didn't mention that, some people might have flown off on tangents claiming that is how ET communicates.

Similarly with neutrinos. Remember the hoo-ha back in 2012 when the media said "Einstein was wrong!" because neutrinos were measured travelling faster than light. It turned out to be nothing more than a faulty connection.

I am all for speculation, but it has to be done within the laws of physics.

True some people are very quick to jump on a banwagon. And silly media they where thinking of tachyons.

And i do remember that it was pretty awesome to think of that discovery! As a side note when they made the "discovery" they published it for peer review. This helped them discover it was a glitch. But they always followed the sceintific method. And ultimately were able to find the correct answer.

Just a thought for some, that if you stick to it and are ok with not always being right you can find the answers.

Now to stay on topic this is a solar system exclusive? And I wonder what the first target will be.

If you have paid attention you would know the people that you say have a "geocentric world-view" are actually the very same people that come out in support of SETI. Why would we do that if we didn't belive that there was life elsewhere in the universe ?

The difference between SETI and what you are doing, is that SETI operates on scientic principles, while ufology is based on misidentification, hearsay, guesswork, lies and outright falsification.

As I have said before when confronted with your very common strawman argument: I believe in the possibility of alien life, but until we have solid evidence it remains a belief.

And who told you that "I'm doing" ufology?

Edited by Rolci