Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking backs venture to listen for aliens

Waspie_Dwarf

The Higgs only imparts a small amount of the mass that matter has. Most of the rest of the mass is the binding energy of the gluons that hold quarks together inside protons and neutrons.

Ahh thanks for that, so if photons can pass through without gaining mass I wonder if that could be used to stop us gaining more mass. Just some curious thoughts I've had for a while.

Also to stay relevant, people calm down hawking said be careful contacting aliens, never said anything about not looking for them.

• Like 1

Ahh thanks for that, so if photons can pass through without gaining mass I wonder if that could be used to stop us gaining more mass. Just some curious thoughts I've had for a while.

Also to stay relevant, people calm down hawking said be careful contacting aliens, never said anything about not looking for them.

Basically, anything with rest mass can't reach the speed of light because that rest mass would become infinite (more properly, the inertia would become infinite). Particles without rest mass - e.g. photons - only exist at the speed of light. It's not quite as straightforward as that, but that is essentially how it works.

• Like 1

Didn't hawking just say not to look for extra terrestrials as they will eat us. Fair enough tho humans eat everything they see.

No.

Hawing is ok with listening for signals but he refuse to send out signals.

Basically, anything with rest mass can't reach the speed of light because that rest mass would become infinite (more properly, the inertia would become infinite). Particles without rest mass - e.g. photons - only exist at the speed of light. It's not quite as straightforward as that, but that is essentially how it works.

Ok so the trick is eliminating the actual rest mass not the relative mass. Tachyons would be the solution but then you need infinite energy to stop haha damn you theoretical physics. And thanks for taking the time to correct me and help my understanding.

• Like 1

Ok so the trick is eliminating the actual rest mass not the relative mass. Tachyons would be the solution but then you need infinite energy to stop haha damn you theoretical physics. And thanks for taking the time to correct me and help my understanding.

Einstein was a genius, but he does seem to have stopped all the fun - like travelling from galaxy to galaxy or through time! Of course, there are the extreme solutions to his equations such as black holes and worm holes, but as far as humans - or ET - using them, I doubt that will ever happen.

• Like 2

Ok anyone else confused by the man who a few years ago mentioned that contact with aliens could be dangerous is now actively searching for them?

Ok anyone else confused by the man who a few years ago mentioned that contact with aliens could be dangerous is now actively searching for them?

Read this one page again

• Like 1

Ok anyone else confused by the man who a few years ago mentioned that contact with aliens could be dangerous is now actively

searching for them?

No, but I`m still confused how many ppl are not aware about the difference between SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence)

and METI (Messaging to Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence), also called active SETI, and the opinions of Hawking about these two

procedures.

In a short form, Hawking say SETI yes and METI no. .

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

Read this one page again

Whats the number of that page exactly? :lol:

• Like 2

If man had any sense at all he would be putting more money into researching whale language. There is plenty of proof that they talk to each other in a series of clicks and whistles. Apparently each pod has it's own dialect generated by the alpha female.

However here we are juggling the possibilities of us communicating with a totally alien species from another planet!?

Whales are totally alien to us in that they live in an environment which we can only venture into temporarily.

The whales are possibly more intelligent than we are so surely this is a case of learning to walk before we try to run.

If man had any sense at all he would be putting more money into researching whale language. There is plenty of proof that they talk to each other in a series of clicks and whistles. Apparently each pod has it's own dialect generated by the alpha female.

However here we are juggling the possibilities of us communicating with a totally alien species from another planet!?

Whales are totally alien to us in that they live in an environment which we can only venture into temporarily.

The whales are possibly more intelligent than we are so surely this is a case of learning to walk before we try to run.

I understand you, but we are searching for signals... not communication. Any signal could be millions/billions of years old... whatever made it could have died off by the time we pick it up..

But there are people looking into understanding whales... and thats just another branch of science

• Like 3

Decode an alien language should be almost impossible. In fact, there are still undeciphered writing systems just here, on Earth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undeciphered_writing_systems

Anyway, I guess that mathematics should be the universal language.

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 1

If man had any sense at all he would be putting more money into researching whale language. There is plenty of proof that they talk to

each other in a series of clicks and whistles. Apparently each pod has it's own dialect generated by the alpha female.

We know for sure that whales do exist. We dont know for sure if there is any intelligent form of life out there.

But we want to know and so the whales have to wait a little.

• Like 1

No, but I`m still confused how many ppl are not aware about the difference between SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence)

and METI (Messaging to Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence), also called active SETI, and the opinions of Hawking about these two

procedures.

In a short form, Hawking say SETI yes and METI no. .

Yes aware of the difference so I am wonder if you know that both are being funded by Silicon Valley technology investor Yuri Milner. Even Hawkings should be aware that any work he does in detection of alien life will result in attempts to contact such civilizations.

Edited by gatekeeper32

I don't see the problem in trying to contact other civilizations. Invading them, that's another thing.....

The problem is s few years ago, Hawking warned of the dangers in making contact with aliens which may result in similar events as those in history when the Europeans came to North America with the natives. Now it was a question why this man who made such a fuse is now working with an organization that is searching for alien life which any work he does which resulting in the discovery will spark attempts in making contact which could end in the scenario he first warned about. And just to point out the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence and Messaging to Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence are funded by the same man Yuri Milner.

Edited by gatekeeper32

Let's hear them first... and then worry about what we're going to do about it.

Hearing a structured synthetic signal from deep space would answer the big question... are we alone in the galaxy/universe? Even if we could never decode it.

It's certainly worth the effort to listen.

• Like 3

The problem is s few years ago, Hawking warned of the dangers in making contact with aliens which may result in similar events as those in history when the Europeans came to North America with the natives. Now it was a question why this man who made such a fuse is now working with an organization that is searching for alien life which any work he does which resulting in the discovery will spark attempts in making contact which could end in the scenario he first warned about. And just to point out the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence and Messaging to Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence are funded by the same man Yuri Milner.

He only ever said "this might happen, think about it as an option" He did not give out a warning, or anything like that, I cannot work out how UFOlogy keeps coming up with that.

Now he is trying to "contact" not meet alien life. Which is probably so far away, our great great great great grandkids do not even have to consider alien invasion.

Even Hawkings should be aware that any work he does in detection of alien life will result in attempts to contact such civilizations.

You can be sure that he as aware about. But he also smart enought that he knows that he cannot prohibit METI.

There are people researching this. Science doesn't just concentrate on one subject at a time you know.

I think its a cool idea!

Is it you, coolguy?

Edited by toast

If Stephen Hawking is right, then we should listen but not reply. In other words we should not broadcast our existence. What if the equivalent to Stephen Hawking elsewhere in the galaxy is saying exactly the same thing? No one will be sending out messages - so what is the point of listening?

• Like 1

So what you are really saying is that you got nothing.

Nope I am saying invasion can occur for any reason even for silly ones.