Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Decapitated bodies found in Aztec pyramid

UM-Bot

news icon rThe discovery of a tomb filled with decapitated bodies suggests Mexico's 2,000 year-old "Pyramid of the Moon" may have been the site of horrifically gory sacrifices, archaeologists say.

The tomb at Teotihuacan, the first major city built in the Americas, whose origins are one of history's great mysteries, also held the bound carcasses of eagles, dogs and other animals.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Reuters

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TinaMarie

• AztecInca

• Noob Siabot

• Elfstone810

It must have been a unhappy sight to come into when they found it. huh.gif

I thought this kind of thing had already been established though?

They archaeologists already knew that they would cut out the heart of a man while he was still living and offer it for sacrifice so I don't see how this could have been much of a shock for them to find........I would've been 'expecting' to find something like this..

Eeech. That must have been creepy to find blink.gif ...kinda reminds me of that movie Alien Vs. Predator...perhaps there is some truth to it...

Edited by Noob Siabot

It must have been a unhappy sight to come into when they found it.

That reminds me of an Iron Age archaeology class I had in college. During the Iron Age the people living in northern Europe would often "consecrate" a new well by sacrificing an old man and putting his body down there to guard the water. The cold temperature and peculiar chemical composition of the water at those depths often preserved the body. Now, our professor told us, when archaeologists find an ancient well the smallest person on the dig usually has to go down on a rope and look for the victim.

Incidentally, something that I found fascinating arose from this. There was a woman from Sweden in our class. She had never heard of this tradition of human sacrifice, but she told us that when she was a little girl her mother would tell her, "if you don't be good the little old man in the well will get you."

Social survivals from ancient times intrigue me no end!

Loretta

Not a pretty sight at all, but it should be expected when you look at thier history!

For those who don't know, I remind that the noblest of Aztec prisoners, before being led to execution (with heart torn out) were being offered 3-4 months with the....services of virgin girls.

Well, Aztecs were cruel but at least they were offering nice consolation prizes.. laugh.gif

Edited by Asterix

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

It seems that what most we're forgetting here is that sacrifice and the taking of the heart was a holy sacriment to the Aztec. To say that you should expect to find DECAPITATED bodies when the taking of the heart was the practice is like saying you expect to find Ritz crackers in a catholic church because they give communion wafers at Mass.

The question is, why were THESE bodies decapitated? Why weren't similar bodies found elsewhere? Why so many bodies and why the bound bodies of animals?

While this is a very old thread, the questions you asked, Pietho, are still very relevant. Welcome to UM, btw.

That what was found under the Temple of the Moon seems to contradict what we know of Aztec religious ritual, would imply that we don't know everything about Aztec religious ritual.

The sacrifice of human hearts we have already discovered, but this decapitation of the body may indicate that certain rituals had local variation or that there are other ritualistic practices of which we are not yet familiar.