Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rhinos’ horns to be fitted with spy cameras

Still Waters

The last remaining rhinos on Earth could be fitted with spy cameras in their horns and heart monitors to help catch poachers in a move hailed as a "game changer" by animal protection activists.

With a rhino killed every six hours in Africa, it is feared the animal could be hunted to extinction by 2035, but a British-made system called Rapid - Real-time Anti-Poaching Intelligence Device - could make all the difference.

http://www.independe...s-10400423.html

• Like 3

Fantastic News! This really made my day! :tu:

• Like 1

we should be hunting the poachers.... put them up for displays on mantles.

• Like 1

We should be flooding the market with fakes and running propaganda campaigns aimed at the people who buy these horns. No, it does not cure your erectile dysfunction, it won't increase your life span, etc. Going after poachers is exactly like going after kids that deal dime-bags: it's lousy solution that only focuses on the symptoms.

• Like 1

I have to admit, that there are few things that make me very angry - Poaching for profit is one of those things.
  • Like 1

Far be it for me to comment on the medicinal properties of rhino horn, but if the eastern countries believe in it so much why haven't they investigated what compounds in the horn have the properties and created a synthetical version?

Or is the whole thing hocus pocus and witchcraft nonsense?

Far be it for me to comment on the medicinal properties of rhino horn, but if the eastern countries believe in it so much why haven't they investigated what compounds in the horn have the properties and created a synthetical version?

Or is the whole thing hocus pocus and witchcraft nonsense?

It's a scam. Rhino horns are composed primarily of a protein called "keratin", a substance already widely available, and has little to no known medicinal properties.

But, for whatever reason, some will believe in anything, and I presume this was a farce scam that propagated many centuries ago and has made some quite rich, while the ailment sufferer gains no medical benefit at all. And it continues to this day.

A good scammer, with the right words, could do the same with beetle horns or scales of a rare fish.

• Like 2