Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nude Women Ages 55-70 Appear In Cookbook

Diebytheflyguy

Garden Club Cookbook Tributes Mature Women

FREDERICK, Md. (AP) -- A garden club took a page from the "Calendar Girls" to produce a cookbook containing nearly nude photos of eight members, ages 55 to 70.

"This is a tribute to the mature woman," said Kathy Brekhus, who wears only a hat, sandals and a bouquet of strategically placed flowers on the book's cover.

The women, members of the Green-walled Garden Club, said they got the idea from the 2003 film, "Calendar Girls," the true story of a British women's club that put out a nude calendar to raise money for charity.

The garden club will use proceeds from sales of the 400-page cookbook to fund city beautification projects, member Linda Robinson said.

Members told The Frederick News-Post they have sold 550 copies at $15 each, and they recently placed an order with the publisher, Cookbook Publishers Inc., of Lenexa, Kan., for 400 more.

"People just love it," said Johnson, who is barely covered in the "Hors d'oeuvres and Beverages" section. A different photograph introduces each section of the book, which is titled "Garden Girls Go Gourmet."

The photos were shot by the women's husbands and friends at Brekhus' home. Discreetly placed flowers and vegetables help keep the saucy images clean.

"I don't think it's distasteful," Ms. Brekhus said.

Several of the women said it was their most enjoyable fund-raiser.

"It's hard to tell you how much fun we had doing this," Marianne Coss said.

"Everyone does a cookbook," she said. "We needed a gimmick."

Some of the recipes, such as "Bishop Whipple Pudding" and "Custard Pouring Sauce," have old-timey names that reflect the roots of the 48-member group. Formed in 1958, it took its name from a line in John Greenleaf Whittier's 1863 poem, "Barbara Fritchie." The poem is set in Frederick, described by Whittier as "Green-walled by the hills of Maryland."Source.

Why wouldn't I be interested in this cookbook?... blink.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AztecInca

• SerenitysRiver

• Canadian Rottweiler

• Andy_R

Now if these women look like the 50 year old woman in the "Bow Flex" commercials then put me down for one please.

cool.gif so you get food and a 55-70 year old woman on the same page? put you straight off your appetite whistling2.gifcool.gif

Cooking and nudity. Both great ideas; but not at the same time..Especially when you're 55-70 and have even more stuff hanging down over the stove..

They didn't have to appear naked just to sell a cooking book! blink.gif How many times have we had stories similiar to this?

uh.... ok....

I have no problem with tasteful nudity, as I find the human body, in most cases, a beautiful and expressive thing, not filthy and smutty in nature, but.....

Nude old women in a COOKBOOK?!

Yeah, I think I'll pass.......

Edited by SerenitysRiver

*insert barfing noise here*

ugh....

What demographic are they aiming for here? Certainly not men. But what woman wants to see this either? I don't get it.

"Shudders".......

I agree with Janiel on this, why would they need to appear nude if it was a true tribute to mature women!

Lucky for me im not very good at cooking.

Now that would be a good gag present for someone, or just a present for someone you don't like.

I need to go on a diet anyway, put me down for three.....

If you consider that the target group for cooking books is women between 40-60, I fail to see how pictures of naked women in their 60s will appeal to that specific group. laugh.gif

Maybe instead they should put pics of 25 yr old male models. wink2.gif