Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Snails Running Amok in Florida

Still Waters

Florida plant detectives are on the trail of a slippery foe, an invasive African land snail that is wily, potentially infectious, and can grow as big as a tennis shoe.

In the four years since Giant African Snails were discovered in Miami, they have slowly but surely spread to new territory, alarming residents in the southern suburbs and the neighboring county of Broward.

http://news.discover...rida-150731.htm

• Like 5

I'd like to see just one of these giants run I would , never mind amok ... I wonder if the shells will fall off and it ends up streaking ~

• Like 5

That's what we need... gangs of hoodlum slugs tearing around the counrtyside, terrorising old ladies and making a mockery of our system of justice... Shameful...

• Like 5

From the original link:

Officials have set up a snail-sighting hotline, and regularly dispatch workers armed with gloves and rakes to help clear them away.

The heck with 'amok' that's just 'yuck'...what a nasty job that must be!

• Like 3

I vote that we catch 'em all and send them to AFrica so the poor childrens could eat them

• Like 1

Ive seen African shops in London with baskets of the things for sale... well I guess if the garden snail is good enough for the French....

:lol:

I wonder if we can eat them.

Well, I suppose the public-released pythons will be happy about a new food source. :passifier:

I wonder if we can eat them.

Yes of course, many Africans eat them

You can eat regular garden snails too, do watch 4 mins

• Like 1

Have they considered training tortoises to hunt them ?

That would be the slowest chase in history. :P

• Like 5

These were a problem in Florida some 30+ years ago and were eradicated, but since then someone has likely smuggled some in as pets and some escaped. They are (or were) present in Hawaii I believe, it's quite possible someone brought one back. Supposedly they will even eat the paint off buildings.

The article called them "the world's biggest gastropod" but they are not even close when you consider marine snails. Even the common conch is larger and the Florida Horse Conch is gigantic for a snail (I found a long dead shell of a Horse Conch in the mud that was over 15" long.)

All this talk about escargot, has made me hungry for my favorite snail : Abalone. When I lived in California, I use to go diving for abs not far from where the following video was taken (Fort Bragg). It was illegal to take abs with a tank, and depending on the species they had to be a certain size. (I think 7 inches min. for reds with a daily limit of 4- now currently limited to 3) Ab seasons, in which they could be harvested were fairly short too.

My brotherinlaw could take 4 abs on 1 breath. He would stick them inside his wet suit when his hands got full. It would usually take me 2 dives just to get 1 pried up! LOL!

Edited by KariW

nice meal ...