Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Latest Pic from Mars. Where's Waldo?

Varelse

Contact (the book) was quite good up until they got to the Aliens' planet, when it all got a bit mystical. Besides, I think it's been explained that the basic premise of how the Aliens came to know of us (by picking up TV broadcasts of the 1936 Berlin Olympics) was flawed, since TV broadcasts wouldn't nearly be powerful enough to maintain any coherence any distance from this planet.

stereologist

You and Psych101 are just ****g with me now. First, you merely wrote an opinion and I responded with my opinion; you cannot honestly provide research evidence that Hollywood movies have conditioned people in this way. I certainty should not be held to the same standard regarding my opinion. In any case, an opinion: "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

This is what you originally wrote, to which I responded:

Many people try to claim that the government hides aliens from us because it would cause panic. I don't think that is credible. If we were to think about this on a Hollywood level we would be thinking about the scenes in Independence Day where people were partying in anticipation of the arrival of the aliens. I think people are so used to the idea of aliens in movies that they are habituated to the idea.”

You are merely stating your personal opinion based on Hollywood movies conditioning people. I disagreed:

What is credible? Credible means: “easy to believe”, “able to be believed, convincing”. The belief that "governments hides aliens from us because it would cause panic" is very credible, i.e., it is easy to believe. I think it’s conceivable that alien disclosure would cause a lot of panic in the population. The foundation of beliefs would be shattered… especially if the aliens are atheist. In particular if you look at this through the eyes of governments, they much rather be safe than sorry. So, for governments to hide evidence, or an alien or two, from the public is nothing but believable and probable. But I think this is a mute point, as they are not hiding anything, there is nothing to hide.”

Now, regarding animals - fight or flight is common knowledge. I can't seriously believe you are going to tell me PANIC is not a part of that behavioral response. Moreover, that human presence doesn't stir that response in animals. Perhaps you would like to keep citing research that certain animals behave differently, that's fine I don't mind at all. Is wrong, and likely to be wrong, are not the same... sure whatever floats your boat.

Let's see, what else? Oh - I brought up that perhaps if the aliens were atheists... i suppose I shouldn't have. Whatever.

Here's the bottom-line, AND THIS IS MERELY MY OPINION (a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge), there's nothing the governments are hiding as there's nothing to hide, it's just merely plausible that some people might panic and therefore the government might hide evidence if they do have any. I disagree with you, get over it, you're not going to change my mind.

• Like 1

With the possibilities of finding life elsewhere - whether it be microbs - or some other kind of intelligent multicellular form.

It does make one wonder what the philosophical and the theological problems - as such making a discovery would bring.

Lets face it - it would be the most prodigious discoveries that were ever made for mankind.

It would certainly revolutionize our way of thinking.

When Clinton addressed the nation about the fact 'they may have found alien microbes in a meteorite'...pretty much nothing happened. Sure lots discussed it, it was world news, papers ran the story...but no panic, no suicides, no parades about the end of the world, nothing

Edited by seeder
  • Like 4

When Clinton addressed the nation about the fact 'they may have found alien microbes in a meteorite'...pretty much nothing happened. Sure lots discussed it, it was world news, papers ran the story...but no panic, no suicides, no parades about the end of the world, nothing

Yes, but they were microbes. (Or may not have been, as it turned out.) That is a bit different from, say, announcing that we have indeed been having contact with an advanced civilization that has a base in the Asteroid belt and has been conducting a systematic survey of Earth for decades (which is my theory).

^ * I thought at first that said "they may have found alien microbes on a motorbike". Perhaps I need a lay down.

• Like 2

Seeder - there is a hell of a difference between ie;

They 'MAY' have found alien microbs - in comparison to - They 'HAVE' found alien microbes :)

stereologist

You and Psych101 are just ****g with me now. First, you merely wrote an opinion and I responded with my opinion; you cannot honestly provide research evidence that Hollywood movies have conditioned people in this way. I certainty should not be held to the same standard regarding my opinion. In any case, an opinion: "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

Many people try to claim that the government hides aliens from us because it would cause panic. I don't think that is credible. If we were to think about this on a Hollywood level we would be thinking about the scenes in Independence Day where people were partying in anticipation of the arrival of the aliens. I think people are so used to the idea of aliens in movies that they are habituated to the idea.”

You are merely stating your personal opinion based on Hollywood movies conditioning people. I disagreed:

What is credible? Credible means: “easy to believe”, “able to be believed, convincing”. The belief that "governments hides aliens from us because it would cause panic" is very credible, i.e., it is easy to believe. I think it’s conceivable that alien disclosure would cause a lot of panic in the population. The foundation of beliefs would be shattered… especially if the aliens are atheist. In particular if you look at this through the eyes of governments, they much rather be safe than sorry. So, for governments to hide evidence, or an alien or two, from the public is nothing but believable and probable. But I think this is a mute point, as they are not hiding anything, there is nothing to hide.”

Now, regarding animals - fight or flight is common knowledge. I can't seriously believe you are going to tell me PANIC is not a part of that behavioral response. Moreover, that human presence doesn't stir that response in animals. Perhaps you would like to keep citing research that certain animals behave differently, that's fine I don't mind at all. Is wrong, and likely to be wrong, are not the same... sure whatever floats your boat.

Let's see, what else? Oh - I brought up that perhaps if the aliens were atheists... i suppose I shouldn't have. Whatever.

Here's the bottom-line, AND THIS IS MERELY MY OPINION (a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge), there's nothing the governments are hiding as there's nothing to hide, it's just merely plausible that some people might panic and therefore the government might hide evidence if they do have any. I disagree with you, get over it, you're not going to change my mind.

Rather than rant, it would be more conducive to simply answer the questions. No, your ideal of mass panic is simply not credible, and religion is part of that reason, yes you brought up the possibility of alien religion, there is nothing wrong with that, it just shows us the percentages that may panic of fear of a real world challenge to their God(s). And it is negligible.

Governments have much more to fear than an alien species visiting, ISIS alone is ten times the worry a challenge to one's God is.

No point in getting upset because what you had perceived is not supported by fact, this indicates you have a believer mentality as a skeptical view allows for human error, you do not. Whenever the believer mindset is challenged, they take it on as personal, This is not about you, it is about the information presented in the discussion being had, if that information if factually flawed, it is not an insult to illustrate that clearly.

The PNG animal situation clearly refutes your claim. I asked you how do you explain that? I honestly do not think there is anything wrong with that question, if you see that as rude, untoward, or wrong in any way, would you like to further your thoughts there?

• Like 1

They 'MAY' have found alien microbs - in comparison to - They 'HAVE' found alien microbes :)

You might want to tell that to Chandra "Chicken Little" Wickramasinghe. He does not seem to see the difference.

You might want to tell that to Chandra "Chicken Little" Wickramasinghe. He does not seem to see the difference.

That rings a bell - the rain man ?

His name says enough - without taking him to seriously.

• Like 1

That rings a bell - the rain man ?

His name says enough - without taking him to seriously.

That's the one :tu:

He seems a very intelligent man, holding the title of Professor and Director of the Buckingham Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Buckingham, however, runs around screaming alien life is falling from the skies every other day. Panspermia's biggest proponent. A colourful character indeed.

• Like 1

That's the one :tu:

He seems a very intelligent man, holding the title of Professor and Director of the Buckingham Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Buckingham, however, runs around screaming alien life is falling from the skies every other day. Panspermia's biggest proponent. A colourful character indeed.

Thanks - I'd forgotten about him.

There's also, as I remarked, that really it's only scientists that would get that excited about microbes, and the only possible reason anyone might fear the discivery of extraterrestrial life would be if there was solid proof of a technological civilisation far in advance of us. Edited by Norbert the Incredible
  • Like 2

There's also, as I remarked, that really it's only scientists that would get that excited about microbes, and the only possible reason anyone might fear the discivery of extraterrestrial life would be if there was solid proof of a technological civilisation far in advance of us.

I feel that many people would be absolutely jubilant to hear of the news that alien microbs were officially discovered.

Surely scientists would not be the only ones to be excited Norbert ?

It would certainly open up new frontier's - and the possible likelihood of more or different types of extraterrestrial life on other celestial bodies through out the cosmos.

Where many would embrace this find - and the possibilities of a more advanced type of alien being - in light of finding these proverbial alien microbs first.

I still feel there would be those who would fear any kind of a new alien discovery on another planet.

Whether we like it or not - there are - and will always be - panicky and / or overzealous extremists and neurotics.

Edited by Astra-
  • Like 1

stereologist

We are not asterisking you. We are pointing out that opinions are sometimes based on unreliable reasoning. Part of your reasoning is that you know someone that would go bonkers. So what. I know people that will only use the bathroom in their own home. They'd die if they were unable to return home to relieve themselves.

I was not stating my personal opinion based on just Hollywood conditioning, but on the general idea that people are used to the idea of aliens. Besides Hollywood there is the rest of the movie production in the world, books, television, magazines, comic books, speakers, conventions, and the internet that talk about aliens.

Your opinion that the government hides things like aliens from us is not credible. You go beyond that to call it probable. You may believe that the government, not sure which of the 175 or so you are talking about, can hide something. I laugh when people tell me that the government, whichever you might choose, is hiding something like this.

You have animal behavior all messed up. You've been shown that animals that do not perceive humans as a danger tolerate humans. Your lack of understanding of animal behavior appears to be your basis for your opinion. So be it. Lots of people base their opinions on mistaken beliefs.

What you need to understand is that this is a discussion forum and when people post opinions that are questionable such as people aliens and panic or the government hiding aliens to avoid panic, those questionable opinions are now tossed into the discussion arena.

Don't care if you change your mind or not. I will not stop commenting on issues no matter how much you complain and whine and have a hissy fit.

• Like 3

People are as varied as lifeforms on Earth can be. Physically, humans have a huge variability. Our kidneys have been 150,000 to 1.2 million nephrons. That is a 9X difference within humans. Pretty amazing. Our emotional response can be just as varied. Sure some people will panic, some will be elated, some will be in a state of wonder, and face it some people are just not going to care.

UFO reports, Orson Welles' show, and other things have not caused a panic to date. Photos of Rush Limbaugh, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and others hanging out with a gray alien have not caused anyone to panic.

Just because I am not aware of any panics does not in any way mean that panics have not occurred. If anyone is aware of alien induced panics would they post that information.

• Like 1

How many people who came to the conclusion that aliens are visiting earth in their ET craft have panicked, freaked-out, had their worldviews/religion shattered, etc.? They can handle the truth, but the great unwashed sheeple can't?

There's also, as I remarked, that really it's only scientists that would get that excited about microbes, and the only possible reason anyone might fear the discivery of extraterrestrial life would be if there was solid proof of a technological civilisation far in advance of us.

I do not think even too many would panic about that - many people seem to think aliens are here to save us from ourselves and see them as some great hope.

I hope we get invaded by the Boov.

If we just find that life arose on earth more than once, it will in most academics eyes increase the possibility of other life in the Universe dramatically.

Can you just Imangine whats its really going to Be Like when we Land people on Mars ? It will be Amazing ! Cant wait ! Then we can talk about Life on other Planets !US ! :alien::tu:

• Like 1

Can you just Imangine whats its really going to Be Like when we Land people on Mars ? It will be Amazing ! Cant wait ! Then we can talk about Life on other Planets !US ! :alien::tu:

Kind of off subject but the family and I spent the day at the Kennedy Space Center yesterday and all I can say is it was an absolutely amazing day. Truly awe inspiring and believe me, going to Mars is a priority for all the folks that work there from what we could tell. It's a vibe you get all over the center and SLS is going to be a truly remarkable machine. If you have youngsters it is an especially inspiring trip as the entire place is designed to motivate kids to take the reins, become scientists and do the next great thing.

• Like 2

Kind of off subject but the family and I spent the day at the Kennedy Space Center yesterday and all I can say is it was an absolutely amazing day.

Truly awe inspiring and believe me, going to Mars is a priority for all the folks that work there from what we could tell. It's a vibe you get all over the center and SLS is going to be a truly remarkable machine. If you have youngsters it is an especially inspiring trip as the entire place is designed to motivate kids to take the reins, become scientists and do the next great thing.

Have only been there once, in 1998 when I was in Orlando for a conference to give a talk. It is indeed awe inspiring. Truly amazing.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Have only been there once, in 1998 when I was in Orlando for a conference to give a talk. It is indeed awe inspiring. Truly amazing.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Was the Saturn 5 up on stands at that time in its own building?

• Like 1

Was the Saturn 5 up on stands at that time in its own building?

Yes, it was. If you are thinking of it lying down. Amazing piece of technology. I think I have some pictures I took back then, I'll see if I can find them.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Yes, it was. If you are thinking of it lying down. Amazing piece of technology. I think I have some pictures I took back then, I'll see if I can find them.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Down here on business as well and a long time resident remembers when it was just lying on the ground. Now, of course, it is housed in its own massive facility up on posts so you can walk its length underneath it with all kinds of display on the side including a stage show with Apollo 11 landing on the Moon. I really can't even imagine it taking off, it is so huge but of course it did many times. SLS will be even bigger whn it reaches its stride.

• 3 months later...

0710MR0030150070402501E01_DXXX.jpg

and it's definitely not Utah, right? I've seen those rocks before .

ETA - Just joking about Utah...picture is incredible !

Edited by Ellapennella