Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rings around the Moon

CASTOR

i just got back from Florida on vacation at the beach. we went out every night to watch the moon and the ocean. Every night the moon had a ring around it. the ring was pretty close at first but as the evening went on it got further away. we had our guesses and asked other people, but no one had any idea. does anybody have an idea?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bizarro

• CASTOR

• Magikman

• Althalus

thanks Magikman,

but do have any idea why it would only happen in florida? cause i cant see it ever at my house in west virginia.

CASTOR

Sure, different atmospheric conditions. It doesn't happen only in Florida, I've seen this phenomena and I'm in Wisconsin, and have also witnessed it in New Mexico. Just a combination of the right conditions.

It happens over here too Castor . The old wives tale is that it means rain tommorow. smile.gif

I guess West Virginia is just one of those states where not much goes on.

CASTOR

This fairly common sight occurs when high thin clouds containing millions of tiny ice crystals cover much of the sky. Each ice crystal acts like a miniature lens.

Because most of the crystals have a similar elongated hexagonal shape, light entering one crystal face and exiting through the opposing face refracts 22 degrees, which corresponds to the radius of the Moon Halo. A similar Sun Halo may be visible during the day. Exactly how ice-crystals form in clouds remains under investigation.

Exactly how ice-crystals form in clouds remains under investigation.

im guessing it has something to do with cold laugh.gif

the clouds that are around the ice crystals are usually warmer han the crystals, and as such the crystals should not be able to form in the first place.

ya, but you also said that they were 'high thin clouds". i was just making a joke as ive never been in the upper atmosphere to check it out for myself smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rings! Lord of the Rings Saruman!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif