Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are we all living in a fake universe ?

UM-Bot

Could our entire existence and everything we perceive of the world be inside a computer simulation ?

The idea, which was covered extensively in the movie 'The Matrix', maintains that we are all hooked up to a massive computer simulation that exists somewhere in the distant future.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...a-fake-universe

In a word.... no.

Perhaps this sophisticated simulation was designed to enable us to experience what life was like for those who actually did live in the 21st century

Why do these hypotheses always seem to claim that living in the 21st Century is so appealing, its just people thinking that what they are doing now is so great all generations to come will aspire to it...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 3

if this is a software simulation, do somebody knows where I can find some cheat codes? is black magick cheating, witches are they hackers? and who are the mod/admins? angels....

just joking, but it would be nice to have few cheat codes or a trainer to make this reality a bit more interesting :-P

"I theorize that the whole of physical reality which is tangible to us is formed from the basic geometric harmonies or harmonics of the angular velocities, or wave-forms, of light. From these basic harmonies or resonating wave-forms, myriad other waves are created which blend in sympathetic resonance, one with the other, thus forming the physical structures. Reality, in essence, is similar to a hologram."

-Bruce Cathie

Hologram, simulation, whatever...it's really just semantics. We experience this reality as though it IS real, so whether or not that's a 'trick' of the senses is ultimately irrelevant in our day-to-day. You can claim it's a simulation, but, after all, it's simulated thoughts making said claim. We still must serve regardless.

• Like 6

Allofthis fake universe and hologram theory is very clever. It will gradually move our awareness towards exploring not outer space but other space (dimensions)

As for cheat codes to make life easier- dont bother, Just live this life/level and when you drop dead you awake on level 2 or the next plane of existence with extra abilities and power-ups.

• Like 1

I have an evil cat more evil than any other cat that has entered my life...to date....the shear level of her evilness clearly indicates that this universe is real.

How could any computer simulate random, selfish variations of cat-ish evil, much less the disapproving looks that cats have given me over the years....and if they could, why the hell would they bother to make the cats in my life, well, just evil?

• Like 1

Why would anyone want to simulate a universe such as ours? Only some evil genius would do that out of pure spite.

In a word.... no..

Actually in a word......probably, with the caveat that not only is our entire reality a simulation but we are simulations as well.

If you accept the premise that given the processing power we would be likely to create simulations or models of the planet, the planet during different ages, imaginary planets or realities or lets say a simulation of how things would have turned out had the axis rather than the allies won WWII or whatever limitations or rules you would care to create in a given simulation...If you accept that premise then you probably agree that many such simulations would be run. Given that assumption then mathematically the odds that we are in fact a simulation are pretty high.

I have no doubt that given sufficient processing power and programs capable of supporting such simulations we would make thousands and thousands of such simulations for many reasons and therefore accept that the chances of us actually being a simulation are pretty large.

OK, so only the 21st Century is a simulation? What bout all the previous centuries. Don't you think if our lives were only simulations and we questioned that, don't you think the entities that are controlling the simulation reprogram us to forget that we even thought that? So if we are a simulation, how do we reproduce? Are we just a series of computer programs that are bored so they created us in their image for fun? How far does this horse$41t have to go before we all start yelling IDIOT!!!!. Wait that wouldn't be very PC, now would it.

Actually in a word......probably, with the caveat that not only is our entire reality a simulation but we are simulations as well.

If you accept the premise that given the processing power we would be likely to create simulations or models of the planet, the planet during different ages, imaginary planets or realities or lets say a simulation of how things would have turned out had the axis rather than the allies won WWII or whatever limitations or rules you would care to create in a given simulation...If you accept that premise then you probably agree that many such simulations would be run. Given that assumption then mathematically the odds that we are in fact a simulation are pretty high.

I have no doubt that given sufficient processing power and programs capable of supporting such simulations we would make thousands and thousands of such simulations for many reasons and therefore accept that the chances of us actually being a simulation are pretty large.

In a word... Banned!!! :)

I have no doubt that there may be a technology capable of creating such a reality somewhere or at some time in the future, and could be pushed to admit that if it was good enough we could not prove we are not in it. I do not believe that is the case for us though.

The definition of 'simulation' also comes into play, we look at simulation and virtual reality from our technologies point of view. I would be more open to go with a spiritual simulation that our physical bodies are used to experience, this is not my belief but I am more open to this 'illusion' rather than the cliché 'Matrix illusion'...

What gets me about the article is the same bloody thing, the 21st Century (basically us) is so great that it just had to be recreated for us to live in, this is just the human ego reassuring itself how great we think we are at this moment in our history...

Sorry OverSword, but still, in a word... no ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

I feel that words like simulation and hologram are far too simple in describing the larger picture. These are concepts that exist within our universe, which we grapple to perceive, but are petty analogies. The forces that play outside this dimension are much too complex for us to even fathom.

• Like 1

In a word... Banned!!! :)

I have no doubt that there may be a technology capable of creating such a reality somewhere or at some time in the future, and could be pushed to admit that if it was good enough we could not prove we are not in it. I do not believe that is the case for us though.

The definition of 'simulation' also comes into play, we look at simulation and virtual reality from our technologies point of view. I would be more open to go with a spiritual simulation that our physical bodies are used to experience, this is not my belief but I am more open to this 'illusion' rather than the cliché 'Matrix illusion'...

I think quantum physics has discovered a few things which indicate that we may be a simulation, the first one that comes to mind is how sometimes observation changes the reality of what's being observed.

But to be clear I don't believe in a matrix style simulation where you have so called real people inside of a non-real world, I believe that every bit of it including we people is possibly or even probably a simulation.

Wouldn't it be cool to program a world that forms around a sun where life evolves and eventually becomes intelligent and builds civilizations? Possibly becoming intelligent enough to discover that the truth is that their entire universe is a simulation existing wholly in some kind of cyber environment? Possibly even figuring a way out and joining true reality or discovering that simulated reality is just as real and meaningful as reality?

Honestly I haven't read the article before participating so maybe I'll go check it out.

OK, went back and read and can find nothing to argue against. It's likely IMO. Look at it this way we are the simulation and Heaven, where God lives, which is eternal, is the real world. From that point of view the idea of a created (simulated) world is as old as mankind. God created the universe out of nothing, seems to fit much of the criteria if you ask me.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

I find the idea that we live in a simulation to be not to different then religion. There is one source out there guiding everything we do, and it is so powerful we can barely comprehend its affect on everything everywhere. The simulation computer (or the operator of the computer) would be equal to God in the Christian sense.

There is also the same argument made where everything is a dream. And either 1) we're all figments of the Dreamer, or 2) each of us is the only real person in the dream.

It is an interesting thought experiment, but really shouldn't change a single thing about how anyone lives their life. At least in IMHO.

• Like 1

no. this a giant game of Civilization and we are being played. we behave independently but within certain parameters.

I find the idea that we live in a simulation to be not to different then religion. There is one source out there guiding everything we do, and it is so powerful we can barely comprehend its affect on everything everywhere. The simulation computer (or the operator of the computer) would be equal to God in the Christian sense.

There is also the same argument made where everything is a dream. And either 1) we're all figments of the Dreamer, or 2) each of us is the only real person in the dream.

It is an interesting thought experiment, but really shouldn't change a single thing about how anyone lives their life. At least in IMHO.

Pretty much this :tu: . Even if we are a so called simulation it changes nothing for us. I find it funny that some people are disturbed by this concept but not so disturbed by the Judaeo/Christian/Islam paradigm of being created. (not talking about this thread so much as coworkers I discussed this with at lunch today).
  • Like 1

OK, so only the 21st Century is a simulation? What bout all the previous centuries. Don't you think if our lives were only simulations and we questioned that, don't you think the entities that are controlling the simulation reprogram us to forget that we even thought that? So if we are a simulation, how do we reproduce? Are we just a series of computer programs that are bored so they created us in their image for fun? How far does this horse$41t have to go before we all start yelling IDIOT!!!!. Wait that wouldn't be very PC, now would it.

Apologies for the lack of quote tags, but:

"What about all the previous centuries?"

Can't say. I (my mind) havn't experienced them myself. I was just told they happened. I live in the 21st.

"Don't you think if our lives were only simulations and we questioned that, don't you think the entities that are controlling the simulation reprogram us to forget that we even thought that?"

I could think of many ideas for, against, and neutral to that idea, but in the end they would all be completely ignorant assumptions.

"So if we are a simulation, how do we reproduce? "

Same way anything 'do' anything. Our mind (or computer, whatever) says it happened. Simple.

"Are we just a series of computer programs that are bored so they created us in their image for fun? "

Again, this is an ignorant guess, but I'd say probably not.

"How far does this horse$41t have to go before we all start yelling IDIOT!!!!. "

At who, or what, exactly? The people that had the lack of cognitive capacity to entertain a possibility?

Edited by _Only

well imagine this universe is like a dynamic MMORPG something in the direction of Sims or Civilization with living characters. You plug in on the other side, and you start playing. Who do you want to be? a rockstar? a homeless? a punk? a normal person? etc Perhaps the players are under the effect of a drug that temporarely removes their memory (while playing) so the immersion is 100% during the game the the effect of the drug dilates and we slowly start at first suspecting something is off then we start fantasizing and then making theories about us being in a simulator. Last the effect vanishes and hey, this is fake wtf man. And the server restarts back to the stone age. ;-)

I by myself am tired playing "sims" I think I like to try something new next time like DayZ, surviving a zombie apocalypse or perhaps go retro and play pac man?

Just joking but the tough is funny :-P

I think quantum physics has discovered a few things which indicate that we may be a simulation, the first one that comes to mind is how sometimes observation changes the reality of what's being observed.

I would love to get into quantum physics with you but it is well out of my league to even start to discuss simulations related to this... :blush:

But to be clear I don't believe in a matrix style simulation where you have so called real people inside of a non-real world, I believe that every bit of it including we people is possibly or even probably a simulation.

Wouldn't it be cool to program a world that forms around a sun where life evolves and eventually becomes intelligent and builds civilizations? Possibly becoming intelligent enough to discover that the truth is that their entire universe is a simulation existing wholly in some kind of cyber environment? Possibly even figuring a way out and joining true reality or discovering that simulated reality is just as real and meaningful as reality?

I agree with the Matrix idea and like to steer clear of anything that uses it as an example.

However... it would be cool to program a world that forms around a sun and eventually becomes intelligent and builds civilisations, if we keep playing city and social simulation games who knows what they will be doing in 500 years from now, especially if you look at how far they have come in the last 10 years. Guessing how far this can go will throw up all kinds of possibilities, unfortunately we won't be around to see them.

OK, went back and read and can find nothing to argue against. It's likely IMO. Look at it this way we are the simulation and Heaven, where God lives, which is eternal, is the real world. From that point of view the idea of a created (simulated) world is as old as mankind. God created the universe out of nothing, seems to fit much of the criteria if you ask me.

This comes down to your own personal definition of simulation, I am more open to this as a 'simulation' though I do not believe in God as such so I even struggle with this.

A simulation is defined as to imitate, pretend or a computer model. It would be sad and very difficult to think everything you have experienced in our lives is an imitation, just pretend or the result of a computer model.