Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Underwater 'Stonehenge' Monolith

Anomalocaris

Sounds like a huge discovery! Yet it looks like a tunnel and a big rock... can someone enlighten me on how this is like Stonehenge?

• Like 2

(yawn). Let me know if it starts levitating out of the water or something and my interest will perk up...right now its at .25 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being greatest interest.

• Like 2

Sounds like three long stones with holes in them to me. The article suggests they may have been anchoring points for boars, or served some other mundane purpose.

• Like 2

We know that many coasts changed their outline over the last 5 thousand years so the find, in its day, could have been on land.... The article is more owed to the fact that it is summertime and news a rare than to an actual "huge" find.

• Like 2

Sounds like a huge discovery! Yet it looks like a tunnel and a big rock... can someone enlighten me on how this is like Stonehenge?

I was wondering that too Nnicolette. Unless it's a monolith of sorts that has collapsed and has a resemblance to Stonehenge's individual pieces. Amazing it was discovered though! Great news as someone mentioned earlier for the world of archaeology indeed. :tsu:

• Like 1

After ice age water level of the planet whose much lower so it could be possible . 10 000 is a long time ago , but oldest city is at least couple thousand years older so only question why do that kind of structure , humans from early times some how knew energy lines and build there temples , make visible lines , or in case of wrong energy avoid it .

• Like 1

About why the monolith is underwater:

Back then, the Sicilian Channel would have featured an archipelago of several islands separated by stretches of extremely shallow sea. Living on these islands were Mesolithic humans who were forced away from the region some 9,350 years ago—give-or-take 200 years—when water levels began to rise in the wake of the Last Glacial Maximum.

About the monolith:

. the monolith has a rather regular shape;

. the monolith has three regular holes of similar diameter: one that crosses it completely on its top, and another two at two sides of the monolith; there are no reasonable known natural processes that may produce these elements;

.the monolith is made from stone other than those which constitute all the neighboring outcrops, and is quite isolated with respect to them; and

.the lithology and age of the rock that makes up the monolith are similar to those that make up the blocks of the rectilinear ridge closing the embayment.

Details and information of the monolith