Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The first debate

F3SS

I thought the God question was crowbarred in and out of place. That's something the candidates should bring up on their own if they feel it necessary. I also felt that FOX had it in for Trump starting with that first question, which was aimed at him, though I think but why should any of them back just any of them and the party if they don't agree. By not raising his hand Paul agreed to support Christie if he were to make it. I thought Pual should have raised his hand too, maybe it was because of the run for independent part of the question. When Paul went off on Trump it was when he raised his hand then Paul went all acidhead on him about being in bed with the Clintons.

Most of us like to act like we're against the NSA, but the exchange tonight between Paul and Christie will separate the men from the boys.

Who's right? Chris Christie's Use the system (Patriot Act, etc) and give the system more tools at their disposal; or Rand Paul's Use the Constitution and actually use the tools (get a warrant) that you already have.

I stand with Rand on the issue but I understand Christie's pov on the matter also. The one thing about the NSA that Christie said is my main contention with the issue. Trust. He said we have to trust them with these things. Wish I could.

Does anyone actually think they are competent to choose who should be President of the United States by watching something like this?

Not after just one. Without them sitting in my living room for lengthy conversation I'm not sure how else to go about making a call on who these people are.

• Like 1

The stage was wide, the field is deep. Probably (at least) 14/17 are "better" candidates than anything offered in the woeful Democrat camp of contenders. They should be nervous.

Rand Paul came off as a petulent little brat. I'd suggest switching to boxers to avoid getting his panties twisted on a national forum ever again.

Jeb Bush actually creeped me out. His uncomfortable little grin kept him looking like he'd just been caught stealing cookies.

Donald Trump seems at times like a bully, a curmudgeon, a fool, and a real alternative to everyone else. Whatever else he is, he probably tells at least some of the truth, most of the time. The opening question seemed designed to paint him into a corner, which turned into a failed attempt when to everyone's surprise, he was honest in his answer. His explanation was telling though-- he has no intention of running as a third party candidate, but he wants to keep the idea floating because it gives him leverage-- something he seeks in all his dealings. --Could have used someone like that negotiating with Iran.

Ted Cruz was good. He comes across a little smarmy at times, but nothing if not straight forward and honest.

Carly Fiorina seems very capable, sensible and had the first debate not been in Ohio she would have been on the top ten stage instead of Kasich, who I found irritating at almost every turn.

Chris Christie came across as an angry blowhard and when he and Rand Paul got into it I wanted to scream "Girl Fight!"

Rubio should probably stick to selling fish tacos. Seems like a smart guy, but this isn't an election for student council.

All the other "also rans" are competent, but not legitimate threats to the front runners. I'd vote for any of them (including Donald) if they happen to end up as the nominee. Beats what we've endured.

• Like 3

Most of us like to act like we're against the NSA, but the exchange tonight between Paul and Christie will separate the men from the boys.

Who's right? Chris Christie's Use the system (Patriot Act, etc) and give the system more tools at their disposal; or Rand Paul's Use the Constitution and actually use the tools (get a warrant) that you already have.

Looking at him during that exchange you could see RP huffing and puffing like a little boy who's mother just told him he couldn't pick out a toy at the store. It was embarrassing.

• Like 1

The stage was wide, the field is deep. Probably (at least) 14/17 are "better" candidates than anything offered in the woeful Democrat camp of contenders. They should be nervous.

All the other "also rans" are competent, but not legitimate threats to the front runners. I'd vote for any of them (including Donald) if they happen to end up as the nominee. Beats what we've endured.

Respectfully snipped.

This is what it comes down to for me. Rubio was correct in his closing remarks that the GOP is blessed with a wealth of good potential candidates while the Dems can't come up with one.

A few did not acquit themselves particularly well in my eyes, but it's early yet. I can see any number of possible President/Vice President

tickets that could be built from the 17-person slate which would help get this country get back on the right track--and away from Obama's miserable fundamental transformation of the United States.

• Like 2

Looking at him during that exchange you could see RP huffing and puffing like a little boy who's mother just told him he couldn't pick out a toy at the store. It was embarrassing.

I did look at him during that exchange and I didn't see that. Trump should get called out for his love affair with Democrats and should get questioned whether he's a Hillary plant, and after the answer he gave to that question was the perfect time to do it.

And maybe if Paul had no interest in running third party against the GOP nominee, he shouldn't have raised his hand. I see no reason why we need to question his mind when he's not questioning it himself.

By not raising his hand Paul agreed to support Christie if he were to make it.

No, it was a pledge not to run third party, not to endorse the GOP winner. You can endorse someone from a third party, you might endorse Hillary Clinton, to Rand Paul's point.

I did look at him during that exchange and I didn't see that. Trump should get called out for his love affair with Democrats and should get questioned whether he's a Hillary plant, and after the answer he gave to that question was the perfect time to do it.

And maybe if Paul had no interest in running third party against the GOP nominee, he shouldn't have raised his hand. I see no reason why we need to question his mind when he's not questioning it himself.

No, it was a pledge not to run third party, not to endorse the GOP winner. You can endorse someone from a third party, you might endorse Hillary Clinton, to Rand Paul's point.

I will give your boy credit for one thing:

The hug zinger at CC played well.

But man, he needs to work on his facial expressions. I could just see the wheels turning while searching for a cute comeback with the NSA thing.

Imagine if Rand Paul was "very pro choice." Imagine if Rand Paul was for partial birth abortions. Imagine if Rand Paul was for bans on assault guns!!! The mortal sins we let Donald Trump get away with (and even losing our temper when he's challenged about them) are truly remarkable.

But Rand's "huffy", because that's all you got. Zero substance, 100% dog and pony. Rand Paul was the only person to reference the 2nd Amendment when he said he favored getting government out of our guns. He was the only person to reference the 4th Amendment suggesting that (gasp!) we actually use it. *moans in pain* He was the person who mentioned the Bill of Rights. Neocons don't want a government that exists to protect peoples rights, they want war. Maybe that's why it's awkward.

• Like 2

All these candidates scare me except Trump, because Trump won't be nominated. I'd be happy though if he runs as a 3d Party candidate, a real threat to the success of the Republican ticket.

I was happy to see Fox ask really tough and to the point questions of each candidate. Not like the softball lobs we'll see if Hillary actually agrees to answer one or two. I'm not a big fan of Christie's but I can see his point about the Patriot Act, which btw I thought always included warrants.

Trump looked like a bully and someone who might know business but doesn't have an inkling about politics. Lets let him be an economic advisor.

Paul tried too hard to look tough and edgy but ended up missing the mark. He let Trump one up him by missing the point of the whole question and answer.

Rubio had a few good moments...not enough experience tho, we've been bit in the ass enough already having a CIC who was given a CEO position with mail room experience. Vice-President?

Walker seems solid, don't know enough about him. Huckabee seemed more informed than I had thought. He had some good moments. Carson started weak but ended well.

I was surprised by the amount of experience Kasich has. I didn't realize he had been on so many important committees. I know what he's done here in Ohio...turned everything around, but wasn't aware he had national experience. Vice-President?

• Like 1

Breaking teacher's unions is all anyone needs to know about Walker. The repellant religious nonsense they pretty much all spoutet confirms none of are fit to be President, in addition to their own individual awful policies.

• Like 2

Breaking teacher's unions is all anyone needs to know about Walker. The repellant religious nonsense they pretty much all spoutet confirms none of are fit to be President, in addition to their own individual awful policies.

They must think they are running for President of the Southern Baptist Convention. Trump was just doing a Saturday Night Life skit.

• Like 1

You two just fill all of your posts with such substance.

satire is substance. I know I should be praising them. ok. Christie and Kasich are tolerable. the rest are religious pervs, except for Bush, he is a war mongering thieving Saudi slave, and of course there is his side kick boat boy Rubio,and of course, trump, he is your drunk uncle at Christmas. somebody tell him to go sleep it off. but the rest, self righteous, bible thumping, never leave them alone with children weirdos. well maybe rand paul fakes his religion, like he fakes his libertarianism. I think that pretty much covers it. between walker, hickabee and cruz, we should take bets which one is eventually caught in park with a male prostitute.

oh wait sorry, I forgot the black dude. well you republicans will too, when you start voting. never mind. maybe there will be ads running...look we got one too.

Edited by mbrn30000
  • Like 1

satire is substance. I know I should be praising them. ok. Christie and Kasich are tolerable. the rest are religious pervs, except for Bush, he is a war mongering thieving Saudi slave, and of course there is his side kick boat boy Rubio,and of course, trump, he is your drunk uncle at Christmas. somebody tell him to go sleep it off. but the rest, self righteous, bible thumping, never leave them alone with children weirdos. well maybe rand paul fakes his religion, like he fakes his libertarianism. I think that pretty much covers it. between walker, hickabee and cruz, we should take bets which one is eventually caught in park with a male prostitute.

oh wait sorry, I forgot the black dude. well you republicans will too, when you start voting. never mind. maybe there will be ads running...look we got one too.

Why not start a thread on the Demoncrat debates?

oh wait...

Imagine if Rand Paul was "very pro choice." Imagine if Rand Paul was for partial birth abortions. Imagine if Rand Paul was for bans on assault guns!!! The mortal sins we let Donald Trump get away with (and even losing our temper when he's challenged about them) are truly remarkable.

But Rand's "huffy", because that's all you got. Zero substance, 100% dog and pony. Rand Paul was the only person to reference the 2nd Amendment when he said he favored getting government out of our guns. He was the only person to reference the 4th Amendment suggesting that (gasp!) we actually use it. *moans in pain* He was the person who mentioned the Bill of Rights. Neocons don't want a government that exists to protect peoples rights, they want war. Maybe that's why it's awkward.

Bland Paul did himself no favors. He is not his father.

• Like 2

Why not start a thread on the Demoncrat debates?

oh wait...

this isn't a private forum where only one side is presented and you have to tow a party line like fox news, comrade. I gave you my honest opinion. I guess I could try and guess your opinion and give that, if that would make you feel better. let's see. republicans good, dems bad. how's that?

trump, he is your drunk uncle at Christmas. somebody tell him to go sleep it off.

Trump doesn't drink alcohol.

• Like 2

Trump doesn't drink alcohol.

Let's be clear. He claims not to drink, since his father, again he claims was a raging alcoholic. The same man who left him a company worth over 200 million in 1974...you know and then trump purely middle class climbed and crawled to turn it into real money...what really is sad, that a man can act like he does stone sober. But I still would like to see a tox screen. I tend to doubt much of what he says. but go ahead, maybe you think he has an honest face.

I'm going to be watching Ben Carson but not "the black dude" because that doesn't mean anything. I thought he faired well and was more polished than I anticipated given what I've seen of him before. I especially liked that he doesn't care to play the race card that you can't help from pulling out of your sleeve at any given opportunity like you just did. Nearly everyone is sick of that sleazy maneuver. It really is sickening. That said, if I were to vote for him or not it'll have zip to do with his skin color unlike those of your mindset who vote solely on appearances. You need a woman or you need a black person in office just for the stat. Wether or not you like who I vote for you can be assured I did it based on a need for the person most fit to hold office. Your divisive mindset is the very kind that has set race relations and social outlooks back 50 years.

• Like 7

I thought Ben Carson equipped himself well. Seems a little unprepared on foreign policy, but ever since Obama the Presidency has good on-the-job-training available.

Unlike Obama, Carson would get good grades.

• Like 5

You're wrong bro. I just seen the clip again and it was a pledge to support whoever the nominee may be and to not run independently.

• Like 3

Bland Paul did himself no favors. He is not his father.

Nobody is their father. Do you want a man who is his own man or do you want a carbon copy of his father?

You're no Ron Paul fan man. Don't even try to go there with me.

Nobody is their father. Do you want a man who is his own man or do you want a carbon copy of his father?

You're no Ron Paul fan man. Don't even try to go there with me.

The question is--- Do YOU want a man who is his own man or do you want a carbon copy of his father?

I'm saying he falls short of the mark, if that's your ideal candidate. You seem to have a fixation.

• Like 1

Would be nice if another Ron was on this ticket but sadly that ship has sailed...

I like Dr Carson,i like Rand,but one i cannot stand to watch or listen to is Christie!

Can't really say any really wowed me,but things are just getting started so...

• Like 2

I dunno if it is a good idea to make voting decisions based on who you like and who you don't like or "can't stand." That is one of the reasons I think democracies ultimately fail -- the voters make dumb, impression-based decisions. The thing is they have no choice -- campaigns are shows with everything carefully managed in part to hide the reality of the candidate. The candidates even regularly lie through their teeth to conceal their real motives and positions, and even here they can't really be blamed since to adequately describe a position on a complex issues (they are all complex) immediately turns everyone off.

Sooner or later a "man on a white horse" comes along and ends even the facade of people-rule that most modern states have become -- a Perot or someone similar -- offering glib simple and often subtly hateful slogans.

• Like 2