Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When You Blindfold Ouija Believers

Anomalocaris

National Geographic demonstrates what happens when you blindfold people using a ouija board.

• Like 4

Busted!

Ouija topics may now be banned from being started, instantly closed whenever they do pop up. imo

• Like 3

Thanks anomololopis or whatever your name is! Interesting, I hadn't seen this exact vid! I want to see the rest, going to see what I can find!

Why would Ouija topics be banned? This type of explanation or even video is not new, just this particular one. I don't think people get as upset over Ouija board stuff as other things, paranormal or political.

Edited by Paranormalcy
  • Like 2

Oh.. nice logic!... they would also try to tie the hands whole thing would be interesting what results it gets!

One knows that spirits need our sense to communicate and of course it is not work if one cut off one kind of sense!

The same way with evp and the needs of white noise to modulate the messages!

"In electronics and telecommunications, modulation is the process of varying one or more properties of a periodic waveform, called the carrier signal, with a modulating signal that typically contains information to be transmitted.

In telecommunications, modulation is the process of conveying a message signal, for example a digital bit stream or an analog audio signal, inside another signal that can be physically transmitted. Modulation of a sine waveform transforms a baseband message signal into a passband signal."

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Modulation

It exist too other techniques..... she communicate too for example so as many others without looking..

Edited by JohnG
  • Like 1

Oh.. nice logic!... they would also try to tie the hands whole thing would be interesting what results it gets!

One knows that spirits need our sense to communicate and of course it is not work if one cut off one kind of sense!

The same way with evp and the needs of white noise to modulate the messages!

Really? "Ghosts" need our bodies senses to communicate?

IF ghosts even exist and if they can supposedly slam doors, move objects and moan, scream and whisper..all supposedly experienced without silly, empty plastic boxes, then why would they need to use our bodies to communicate then?

Why not -instead of slamming doors and moving flashlights- pick up a pencil and write something on a piece of paper? Shouldn't be hard for a supposed ghostie that likes to move things.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 4

Really? "Ghosts" need our bodies senses to communicate?

IF ghosts even exist and if they can supposedly slam doors, move objects and moan, scream and whisper..all supposedly experienced without silly, empty plastic boxes, then why would they need to use our bodies to communicate then?

Why not -instead of slamming doors and moving flashlights- pick up a pencil and write something on a piece of paper? Shouldn't be hard for a supposed ghostie that likes to move things.

This reminds me of when Carl Sagan did some research to study the so-called contacted by aliens. I think it was through hypnosis, where an alleged alien established a dialogue with Carl Sagan.

The thing is that Sagan discovered that the aliens just like to talk about prophecies and New Age philosophy, but when Sagan asked questions about space travel and physics; the aliens knew nothing about the matter. In fact, I think that "they" tried to change the subject in more than one occasion XD

Edited by Anomalocaris

There seems to be a lot of bias on this forum. We get one example and suddenly Ouija is discounted by everyone, flip the scenario and most users still won't even consider the paranormal. Notice how many people they crammed in to make a mistake far more likely. I knew maybe a dozen people used Ouija, most experienced nothing, some claimed the piece rolled by itself across the room and crashed into a wall. Technically it's just a board, but it's also an acknowledgment that you want whatever it be to interact.

• Like 1

I absolutely do not believe, in any way, a traveler moves by itself, regardless of any other ultimate truth about how it operates. In my opinion, people that are selling that are honesty being really offensive to people with common sense. I just wanted to sort of clear the air about that.

However, I'm one of the skeptics and a former (and future if I get the chance) ouija board user, and I partly started some of this "ouija is nothing special" talk recently. But there have been plenty of the other side - there's a guy writing a book on "Zozology" about a "demon" appearing on people's boards for years, another guy (don't think it's the same one) was building a magenetic ouija board so there was no friction, and has probably books worth of his ouija communication transcriptions.

Things come in waves and at the moment, there seems to be little push-back from the more spiritual minded. But it happens, and will happen. And youtube is FULL of "OMG" ouija stories and accounts and ghost hunters and psychics that vouch for the board's legitimacy.

So there's always "bias" on a forum when one side is presented that another side is opposed to or disagrees with. That's why there ARE sides - they are "biased" to their own interpretation of things. It isn't of course actually "bias" in any larger way, like from a site, unless a site admin or the whole site rules are promoting it. I'd say you have found a topic being discussed or presented mostly by one side without a lot of input right now from a solid opposing view, is the reality of it. But the same could be said by those involved, if there WERE a strong opposed effort, as with political or religious debate.

• Like 1

Well I'd certainly be interested to hear it. The ratio of times it seemed believable to the number of times I've heard it stands at 0 out of infinity, maybe this was will the turning point.

Why would Ouija topics be banned? This type of explanation or even video is not new, just this particular one. I don't think people get as upset over Ouija board stuff as other things, paranormal or political.

I don't really expect these topics would be banned, and it's not a matter of being upset over them. I made that statement based on my personal opinion, namely, it's not an unexplained mystery. The explanation is, the participating people move the planchett....

I absolutely do not believe, in any way, a traveler moves by itself, regardless of any other ultimate truth about how it operates. In my opinion, people that are selling that are honesty being really offensive to people with common sense. I just wanted to sort of clear the air about that.

Like!

However, I'm one of the skeptics and a former (and future if I get the chance) ouija board user, and I partly started some of this "ouija is nothing special" talk recently.

Why? Just for the fun of fooling the believers?

But there have been plenty of the other side - there's a guy writing a book on "Zozology" about a "demon" appearing on people's boards for years, .

Does evidence of the demon appearance exist and is it verifiable? If not, why do you believe it? Does the evidence exist only, 'in the book'?

another guy (don't think it's the same one) was building a magenetic ouija board so there was no friction, and has probably books worth of his ouija communication transcriptions

'Like' poles (+ or -) under or in the board and on the planchett will cause it to hover? Fingers touching it won't be able maneuver it in any way, is that the theory?

I don't see that being possible. IMO, the magnetic force between the board and the planchette simply becomes the new board, playing the same role as the old board did before.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

National Geographic demonstrates what happens when you blindfold people using a ouija board.

It is also a demonstration that you should never wear orange, because it clashes with your unbelievably tangerine fake tan. :mellow:

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

Couldn't it also be that the 'spirit' needs a vessel to write out the words. AND, uses that same vessel to 'see' whatever letters it needs to write those words? So, without the use of the eyes, it cannot see into our dimension?

Not saying I believe that, however, just saying.

We get one example and suddenly Ouija is discounted by everyone...

One example? It's been discounted by many and rightfully so for a very, very long time. It didn't take the OP to show ouijis and their use are nothing more than woo.

• Like 2

Couldn't it also be that the 'spirit' needs a vessel to write out the words. AND, uses that same vessel to 'see' whatever letters it needs to write those words? So, without the use of the eyes, it cannot see into our dimension?

Interesting. In the name of inquiry, I'm trying to think of an experiment which would include eyesight, but eliminate the possibility of supernatural involvement.

Actually, though, I've been wondering about how the "phantom limb" phenomena would play out with this. I have some crazy ideas about people using false limbs in a Ouija session to see what would happen.

• Like 2

Interesting. In the name of inquiry, I'm trying to think of an experiment which would include eyesight, but eliminate the possibility of supernatural involvement.

Actually, though, I've been wondering about how the "phantom limb" phenomena would play out with this. I have some crazy ideas about people using false limbs in a Ouija session to see what would happen.

Sighted people don't touch the pointer, but do touch the blindfolded who are in contact with the pointer?

That was the ghost gets access to sight and control, but not both at the same time.

Okay! I was thinking about this a bit more than it warrants, and I came up with this:

The hypothesis is that a spirit need a host in order to move the planchette (I suppose we can argue fine movement vs gross movement, but that isn't important right now). Since part of the ghostly experience is that spirits occasionally interact with human behavior, such as messing with batteries and such, we can assume they can "see" their environment, at least, enough to determine what the situation is and respond to it in a relevant manner. The question is whether it needs the host's eyes to see fine details and such.

So, in order to differentiate whether or not the person is responding to a spirit controlling them, we set up the ouija board as normal, but prior to the session, the participants are given sheets of information regarding the intended target.

Here's the catch: The messages are written in filtered style, and the participants are wearing tinted glasses. Staring at the sheet without the glasses gives you certain pieces of data that cannot be seen with the glasses on.

That means that you have readily available data on location that should be capable of being seen only by the spirit, and not by the participants. If that information appears during the session, then that would be evidence that something was able to pass on the information the participants did not have through the ouija board.

You can also have contradictory visible information to the participants, and if that information appears, then we can confirm it is the participants responsible for passing on the information.

What do you think?

• Like 1

Okay! I was thinking about this a bit more than it warrants, and I came up with this:

The hypothesis is that a spirit need a host in order to move the planchette (I suppose we can argue fine movement vs gross movement, but that isn't important right now). Since part of the ghostly experience is that spirits occasionally interact with human behavior, such as messing with batteries and such, we can assume they can "see" their environment, at least, enough to determine what the situation is and respond to it in a relevant manner. The question is whether it needs the host's eyes to see fine details and such.

So, in order to differentiate whether or not the person is responding to a spirit controlling them, we set up the ouija board as normal, but prior to the session, the participants are given sheets of information regarding the intended target.

Here's the catch: The messages are written in filtered style, and the participants are wearing tinted glasses. Staring at the sheet without the glasses gives you certain pieces of data that cannot be seen with the glasses on.

That means that you have readily available data on location that should be capable of being seen only by the spirit, and not by the participants. If that information appears during the session, then that would be evidence that something was able to pass on the information the participants did not have through the ouija board.

You can also have contradictory visible information to the participants, and if that information appears, then we can confirm it is the participants responsible for passing on the information.

What do you think?

I think that solves the problem quite nicely. Lets get a Ouija board!

I have used a ouija board many times. I have watched groups of people use it and it moves. But whenever its my turn it never moves! even with a group of people.

I am very open and believe spirits or extra demensional beens exist. Why wont it move for me? Am i doing something wrong?

Edited by BlackBearWolf

I have used a ouija board many times. I have watched groups of people use it and it moves. But whenever its my turn it never moves! even with a group of people.

I am very open and believe spirits or extra demensional beens exist. Why wont it move for me? Am i doing something wrong?

Yes, you're not moving it.

• Like 4

Yes, you must be level headed person and not open to fallacy.

Edited by jamesjr191

Yes, you must be level headed person and not open to fallacy.

im not sure what you mean by this.

Why does it work for others. Do you have to physically push it? Because I was under the impression it moved on its own.

So whenever I ask a question I expect it to take over and move. But apparently you have to physically push it?

Edited by BlackBearWolf

im not sure what you mean by this.

Why does it work for others. Do you have to physically push it? Because I was under the impression it moved on its own.

So whenever I ask a question I expect it to take over and move. But apparently you have to physically push it?

It doesn't "work" for others, those people are pushing it themselves. It doesn't move on it's own, that's only in the movies. It's just a toy, it can't answer questions, it's can't move on it's own, it doesn't have any sort of paranormal spiritual connections to anything other than the division of Hasbro or whatever toy manufacturer that makes it now. It's not magic, it never has been, it never will be.

• Like 2

It doesn't "work" for others, those people are pushing it themselves. It doesn't move on it's own, that's only in the movies. It's just a toy, it can't answer questions, it's can't move on it's own, it doesn't have any sort of paranormal spiritual connections to anything other than the division of Hasbro or whatever toy manufacturer that makes it now. It's not magic, it never has been, it never will be.

Thats what im thinking to. But why and how can people be so disengenous? I really truly wanted it to work so i gave it true shot. Why would people cheat if they are truely looking for answers to lifes mysteries.

Thats what im thinking to. But why and how can people be so disengenous? I really truly wanted it to work so i gave it true shot. Why would people cheat if they are truely looking for answers to lifes mysteries.

People make these false claims for a number of reasons. They naively made an honest mistake/claim. They've been tricked. They've mis-identified something, They're lying for the attention. They're too proud to admit that they were wrong. It's just human nature. Don't let it bother you too much. Kooks will be kooks, and woo will always be woo, until the end of the universe. Just keep an open mind and always ask questions.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard