Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

The magical Matryoshka doll

UM-Bot
Deanna Jaxine Stinson: A Matryoshka doll is a treasure of Russia. The Matryoshka is a beautiful doll commonly made from wood or metals. It consists of a large doll in the artistic rendition of popular saints, political leaders and artists. It opens in half to reveal similar dolls that are smaller upon each opening. There are many variations and a black box from China that held a grain of rice in the middle, was the first known inspiration.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

skliss

interesting, but ends abruptly. seems like there should be more to the story. : )

EarthGirl777

Hi, I wrote that article

interesting, but ends abruptly. seems like there should be more to the story. : )

there is more! I'm glad my articles on here but if you want the full story it's here; http://forums.jazmaonline.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7821
  • Like 1

skliss

Thank you. I never knew there was a story behind the dolls. Just thought they were a pretty and unique toy. : )

Still Waters

I had a set of these wooden dolls when I was young, they were a present from my godmother. I knew they were called 'Russian dolls' but I didn't know anything else about them. I used to like taking them apart and lining them up in a row, they twisted to open if I remember right except for the smallest doll which didn't open at all. They kept me amused for ages, I don't know what happened to them, it's a long time since I've seen them.

Astra.

I use to have a set of these little dolls as well. They were a nice toy to play with.

Goodness only knows what ever happened to them though :unsure2:

I've seen them in specialty shops - so it's nice that they are still around.

It was interesting to read the article and learn a bit more about their history.

Thanks for sharing.

lisabee71

Thank you for this story. You taught me more about something I have loved for years. I collect them! :clap: