Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3-Year-Old Remembers Past Life as Snake?

Still Waters

A young boy named Dalawong in Thailand was 3 years old when he met an acquaintance of his father's, named Mr. Hiew, for the first time. The boy seemed to know in detail about a confrontation Hiew once had with a snake - but how Dalawong knew these details remains a mystery.

http://www.theepocht...er-with-hunter/

• Like 1

It is not surprising that a kid, raised in a society that relies almost entirely on superstition is going to do what most kids do and imagine things; sad part is that the parents believe the prattling of a drooling tot.

• Like 7

And in recent news: Science tells us people, kids especially, are really good at making crap up!

• Like 3

he still had memories of being eaten by his dad ?

i bet freud would interpret this another way

• Like 3

The child likely overheard the father speaking of the encounter with the snake...

• Like 2

Although the story does not go into any real detail, it seems Dalawong is not longer 3 years old. It is not revealed how old he was when he related the story, but the memory of such an extraordinary experience at such a young age, when related years afterwards, should immediately be suspect.

The methods of Dr Stevenson, who presumably first relates the tale in his book, to gather such tales is not described - and by methods I mean, did he alert people he was searching for stories of 'reincarnation'? Because if he made that apparent, then it is likely he would have all sorts of such stories presented to him by people for all sorts of reasons, few (if any) of which would be because they were factual.

Like the tales of how the Dogon people in Africa "revealed impossible knowledge about the star Sirius" (which they did not, it was the person inquiring about their beliefs and rituals who prompted them with that information) I suspect Dr Stevenson placed into the narrative just what he wanted to get out of it, and led the person he was questioning into 'providing information' he had already (perhaps unknowingly) given him.

• Like 4

Although the story does not go into any real detail, it seems Dalawong is not longer 3 years old. It is not revealed how old he was when he related the story, but the memory of such an extraordinary experience at such a young age, when related years afterwards, should immediately be suspect.

The methods of Dr Stevenson, who presumably first relates the tale in his book, to gather such tales is not described - and by methods I mean, did he alert people he was searching for stories of 'reincarnation'? Because if he made that apparent, then it is likely he would have all sorts of such stories presented to him by people for all sorts of reasons, few (if any) of which would be because they were factual.

Like the tales of how the Dogon people in Africa "revealed impossible knowledge about the star Sirius" (which they did not, it was the person inquiring about their beliefs and rituals who prompted them with that information) I suspect Dr Stevenson placed into the narrative just what he wanted to get out of it, and led the person he was questioning into 'providing information' he had already (perhaps unknowingly) given him.

I concur, remember a few decades ago when several day care workers had their lives destroyed over allegations of molestation by very young children, only later to find out that the psychologists were (inadvertently or intentionally) planting false memories in the kids? The young mind is malleable. That is not to say that children do not have real experiences, obviously, only that sometimes fantastic or unrealistic stories need to be taken with a large grain of salt.

I have been to Thailand and the people overall were exceptionally nice but, as said before, it is a very superstitious country.

• Like 1

And in recent news: Science tells us people, kids especially, are really good at making crap up!

I was dating a very nice woman whose 5 year-old son explained to me how dinosaur detectives tripped across time in order to write laws in New York City during the Civil War we fought with Germany...that strangely included G. Washington and his giant robot who was later caught in a trap set by cats that involved pots, pans and a can of plums...in syrup...

The point being he was very convincing and I did no fact checking because, why? Kids. They like to talk and like it when people pay attention to them.

• Like 2

I was dating a very nice woman whose 5 year-old son explained to me how dinosaur detectives tripped across time in order to write laws in New York City during the Civil War we fought with Germany...that strangely included G. Washington and his giant robot who was later caught in a trap set by cats that involved pots, pans and a can of plums...in syrup...

The point being he was very convincing and I did no fact checking because, why? Kids. They like to talk and like it when people pay attention to them.

Which goes along with my point.

• Like 1

Don't snakes 'see' in infrared? (Or something along those lines.)

How would he identify one person from another when all he could have seen was blobs of heat?

• Like 1

Don't snakes 'see' in infrared? (Or something along those lines.)

How would he identify one person from another when all he could have seen was blobs of heat?

Pit vipers can detect heat, good for hunting warm blooded prey in darkness, it's what the "pits" on their faces are for, but they can also see with normal vision in daylight. Some snakes like Cobras and even harmless Black Racers are very visually oriented and visually follow every movement of prey or an enemy.

• Like 1

Maybe he just remembering a memory past on to him from his own dad. In some animals, memories are past on to their off spring.

It is difficult to really believe stories of reincarnation as being true. Perhaps the boy has psychic abilities and picked up the story through a mental connection and he happens to have excellent mind reading skills. As for the scaly skin condition it would be much like stigmata in those who are the center of the Christian belief of resurrection. Basically, he believes this story so strongly that his body changed to reflect this deep mind concentration. Stigmata can happen in much the same way if a belief is strong enough. Stigmata can also happen in someone who doesn't believe but who is the center of those deep mind concentration of beliefs from other people. If the story is true then what we have is more (partially verifiable) accounts of real reincarnation being thrust up out of the "subconscious network" and becoming observable in the conscious mind.

Snakes have a memory to "pass" on?

Look, if anything in this is true, that's how it can be explained.

He heard his dad talk about it when he was just a baby. When he finally learn how to speak and words, that memory came back to his mind.

What could be amazing is that you could remember something people were talking without being able to understand but later on, your memory remembers it clearly

• Like 1

I read a great reincarnation booked involving children who could remember past lives. One little boy living in some remote village could describe different parents and a different hut he lived in with details about the surroundings. The author tracked down this other family who confirmed they had lost a child and when that other kid came to see that family, he called them mum and dad. No real tangible proof it isn't a con though.

• 5 weeks later...

Go #12!! A lot of reincarnation tradition says that we are are own decendents so that would make sense.

A young boy named Dalawong in Thailand was 3 years old when he met an acquaintance of his father's, named Mr. Hiew, for the first time. The boy seemed to know in detail about a confrontation Hiew once had with a snake - but how Dalawong knew these details remains a mystery.

http://www.theepocht...er-with-hunter/

I would say according eastern philosophies - when it is about reincarnation - is mostly a nonsense.

He could be in past life for example a Naga. A lower supernatural being. In Eastern reincarnation theory is something like evolution.

• 1 month later...

they eat snakes ? Those ppl are gross !

Edited by qxcontinuum

How come no one remembers past lives as an alien? If there is reincarnation and if there is life on other planets.

Because such a concept is not supported by mythology and if any past life account doesn't dovetail with mythology then it is not considered plausible.

After all if a past life on another planet doesn't involve cities made of crystal or people who glow, float and teleport then it is just imagination.

RYU: I take it you don't believe the story then? Not that I do either.

they eat snakes ? Those ppl are gross !

Tastes like Chikin I hear.