Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has Queen Nefertiti been found?

Anomalocaris

.Radical claim made by Dr Nicholas Reeves at the University of Arizona.

.He analysed high-resolution scans of the walls of Tutankhamun's grave.

.Dr Reeves says he found 'ghosts' of doors that tomb builders blocked.

.The door on the north side contains 'the undisturbed burial of the tomb's original owner - Nefertiti', Dr Reeves argues.

Has Queen Nefertiti been found behind King Tut's tomb? Scientist claims to have discovered a secret door to her burial chamber in Tutankhamun's grave, the boy king who may have been her son

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 7

This is great but I always thought Tut was the son of a lesser wife.

• Like 3

I thought Queen Nefertiti was Tutankhamen step mum

• Like 3

This is great but I always thought Tut was the son of a lesser wife.

Yeah, me too. Plus, wouldn't this have come to light, or at least the speculation, come to light years ago?

As for the speculation that the 'younger lady' being Tut's mother, and that she also could be Nefertiti has me doubting it. That's just me, though. Then again, it could still speculation that the two baby skeletons found with Tut or was it Tut's wife, of being their children, or they are still not sure? (I'm just speculating again, with what I remember reading.)

• Like 3

I thought Queen Nefertiti was Tutankhamen step mum

Yeah, I think she was.

This site: http://www.historyem...of-king-tut.htm

here shows somethings that was believed in. ( It also shows that the infant skeletons were Tut's daughters.)

The Close Family members of King Tut

King Tut belonged to the Eighteenth dynasty of Egyptian Kings during the period of the New Kingdom.

• The Father of Tutankhamun was Akhenaten, first known as Amenhotep
  • The Mother of Tutankhamun was believed to be a noblewoman called Kiya
  • His Stepmother was Nefertiti, the chief wife of Akhenaten
  • The wife and consort of Tutankhamun was Ankhesenpaaten (aka Ankhesanamum and Ankhesenamen), who was also his half sister
  • Children: None survived. His two daughters were still born and were buried with Tutankhamun

Wow, why did the blue background fellow me? Naw, don't answer that. ;)

Edit: Ok, double wow, it didn't! :no: on me.

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 1

Definitely his step mom, Nefertiti only had daughters I believe. As for Tut's mother, that is still a rather contentious topic.

• Like 3

I would also like to know if Nefertiti's head was elongated like is claimed. Tut and Akhenatens were.

As far as which woman was Tuts mother only DNA can prove that. True it's always been thought a lesser wife was his mother but that has all been speculation. I don't know of any proof of it.

• Like 1

I would like this theory to turn true, with a lot of new lovely tomb furniture. :wub:

As for who is Tut's mother, there still the possibility that Nefertiti and the "young lady" were identical twin sisters, screwing the DNA tests.

Or that the young lady was indeed Tut's mother, but she died early, so Nefertiti and Akenaten adopted him, as there didn't had any son together.

#8 True...

Anyway, if she's not in the hidden chamber but the chamber still exists, who knows what marvel may be still there ?

As much as I would love this to be the resting place of Queen Neferteti, I highly doubt it!

On what pretense does Dr Nicholas Reeves predict that these 'ghosts' of doors miraculously lead to the tomb one of the most renowned Egyptian queens? Because, I quote..

The grave of Queen Nefertiti – believed by many to be the mother of the boy King Tutankhamun – has never been found.
?

Neferteti was not the mother of Tutankhamun, unless of course KV35 is Neferteti herself, which would not only mean that her body has already been found, but that she was the full-blooded sister of Akhenaten and that she had an affair

with Akhenatens younger brother! It just doesn't make sense. Therefore all pretenses Dr Nicholas Reeves has made this conclusion on are futile.

The whole predicament smells like publicity. In saying that, I do hope I stand corrected.

Edited by Nefer-Ankhe
  • Like 1

I have heard that the tomb Tutankhamun was buried in was not originally built for him but for the Pharaoh Aye, who was his successor. As Tut was believed to have died suddenly no tomb had been constructed for him so he was put in Aye's tomb and when Aye died 4 years later or so he was buried in the tomb that was to have been for Tut. If so, this makes it unlikely that Neferiti would have been placed in a chamber inside a tomb that was constructed for someone who was not her relative.

• Like 1

I must correct myself. I have just read that Aye was the father of Nefertiti. So if someone is buried in a chamber adjacent to Tut's tomb then maybe it is the daughter of the man for whom the tomb was intended, Aye. We shall see.

• Like 1

I'd like to know what Dr Reeves means when he say's he found 'ghosts of doors.'

I'd like to know what Dr Reeves means when he say's he found 'ghosts of doors.'

The impression I got was that the "ghosting" was imperfections in the plaster on the wall that signifies a sealed door that has been plastered over... You can get get the same effect in a house that has

had it's drywall repaired at some point... sometimes it's easy to see where the patch is in the right light...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Updated thread...

Egypt gives go ahead to look behind King Tutankhamun's tomb to try and find grave of woman who may have been his mother

The Egyptian Antiquities Ministry has granted preliminary approval for the use of a non-invasive radar to prove a theory that Queen Nefertiti's crypt may be hidden behind King Tutankhamun's 3,300-year-old tomb in the famous Valley of the Kings...

arrow3.gifRead more

Edited by Anomalocaris

well just the fact that they approved this, i think it sounds good

well just the fact that they approved this, i think it sounds good

Didn't know this discussion was here. Damn, I even checked first. In any case, I started a discussion on the situation in the Alternative History section but might as well provide a link to it here:

http://www.unexplain...pic=285422&st=0

I'm glad to hear that the ministry of antiquities has approved further investigation. Just for my own two cents, and to echo the sentiment of some other posters in this discussion, I'm also highly doubtful that Nefertiti's burial lies hidden in KV62. As much as I like Reeves, I think he's stretching it there. But with the other analysis he's provided, I do agree there is possibly one or two sealed doorways, so if nothing else, it's worth taking a closer look.

• Like 3

Thanks for the link to the article! Very interesting.

• Like 1

Inspection of King Tut’s Tomb Reveals Hints of Hidden Chambers

Nearly a century after the rediscovery of King Tut’s tomb ignited a worldwide craze for Egyptology, new findings could turn out to be almost as stunning: secret doors may conceal the burial chamber of Queen Nefertiti.

arrow3.gifRead more

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 1

Your National Geographic article ask the right question, if there are secret rooms, what do we do? There are priceless painting hiding these doors.

• Like 1

Your National Geographic article ask the right question, if there are secret rooms, what do we do? There are priceless painting hiding these doors.

Most of the doorways lie below the painted portions of the upper walls. Access is conceivable through the lower areas. without damage to the decoration plan. The real problem is, if there are large artifacts in the hidden chambers (e.g., shrines, coffins, furniture), will they be able to get them out through the low doorways? And there is a definite need to clear the chambers, if anything's in there. Egypt has a long and proven reputation for plundering, in its own population.

• Like 4

Most pharaoh`s wives are buried with the husbands, Nefertiti the great queen she was would not have been buried in a back ground, this finding was most likely a nanny or nurse of the child king Tut,

Most pharaoh`s wives are buried with the husbands, Nefertiti the great queen she was would not have been buried in a back ground, this finding was most likely a nanny or nurse of the child king Tut,

The available evidence in the royal burial ground at Amarna suggests Nefertiti was intended to be buried with her husband, Akhenaten, but we can't guarantee this happened. It's especially problematic if Nefertiti outlived Akhenaten and ruled briefly as a monarch in her own right (as one theory suggests). But for the most part, by this point in dynastic history, kings and queens rarely seem to have been buried together. In fact, within a short time was when the Valley of the Queens was founded.

But I myself am very skeptical that Nefertiti lies deeper inside KV62, if other chambers prove to be there. I explained as much in the thread I started in Alternative History, on the same subject. There are numerous other candidates for royal women. If someone else is buried in there, however, it's almost certainly not a royal nurse. Bear in mind that in Reeves's scenario, the other burial in KV62 would have taken place prior to Tut's interment. This means the tomb originally was cut for and belonged to someone else—and a king would not be buried in his nurse's tomb. Besides which, Tutankhamun's wet nurse was a woman named Maia, and her tomb was found years ago in the Saqqara necropolis.

• Like 3