Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has Queen Nefertiti been found?

Anomalocaris

I personally doubt there will be anything found. If there are rooms found they would have been cleared out before being blocked over as the tomb was repyrposed for Tut.

Maybe there will be inscriptions in the walls, that would be interesting and useful.

But thats about as far as my opyimism will take me.

Here's to being prived wrong, though!

There's probably a torch on the wall that, when removed from its holder, spins the wall around.

• Like 3

There's probably a torch on the wall that, when removed from its holder, spins the wall around.

Or it will make the opposing walls slowly roll in to trap and crush you!

• Like 2

Another bit from the NG article that catched my attention:

This gritty material matches fragments that originally covered another blocked door opened by Howard Carter in 1922. Carter, who excavated with a meticulousness that was highly unusual for his era, collected the gritty material, and it’s still stored in a side room of the tomb, where Reeves and the others were able to examine it.

Does it mean there was a secret room back in the days, sealed behind painting, akin to the ones we are talking these days? If so, which room was it?

Another bit from the NG article that catched my attention:

Does it mean there was a secret room back in the days, sealed behind painting, akin to the ones we are talking these days? If so, which room was it?

Several royal tombs in the Valley of the Kings have yielded hidden chambers. I'm not sure which is the one Carter discovered—he worked in numerous different tombs prior to discovering KV62. But the one I'm thinking of, and arguably the most famous to date, is KV35. It was the tomb of Amunhotep II. Vicotr Loret discovered it at the end of the nineteenth century. And in there he found two sealed chambers, both of which yielded royal mummies that had been removed from their original burials and concealed in Amunhotep II's side chambers 3,000 years ago. That situation was very similar to what Reeves is now anticipating.

• Like 2

So there is precedents of important mummies being secretly buried in secret room inside some pharaoh's tomb complex. Do we know what were the rank or the relationship between the pharaoh and these secret mummies?

The available evidence in the royal burial ground at Amarna suggests Nefertiti was intended to be buried with her husband, Akhenaten, but we can't guarantee this happened. It's especially problematic if Nefertiti outlived Akhenaten and ruled briefly as a monarch in her own right (as one theory suggests). But for the most part, by this point in dynastic history, kings and queens rarely seem to have been buried together. In fact, within a short time was when the Valley of the Queens was founded.

But I myself am very skeptical that Nefertiti lies deeper inside KV62, if other chambers prove to be there. I explained as much in the thread I started in Alternative History, on the same subject. There are numerous other candidates for royal women. If someone else is buried in there, however, it's almost certainly not a royal nurse. Bear in mind that in Reeves's scenario, the other burial in KV62 would have taken place prior to Tut's interment. This means the tomb originally was cut for and belonged to someone else—and a king would not be buried in his nurse's tomb. Besides which, Tutankhamun's wet nurse was a woman named Maia, and her tomb was found years ago in the Saqqara necropolis.

I don`nt know but you would think a great queen and a leader that Nefertiti was wouldn't have been stuffed way behind tut`s tomb

I don`nt know but you would think a great queen and a leader that Nefertiti was wouldn't have been stuffed way behind tut`s tomb

The working theory is that it originally wasn't a tomb made for Tut, but for Nefertiti. You'd have to read Reeves's paper to understand the full thrust of it. You can download it in the link in Post 4 of my own thread about this subject. I'm not trying to drive anyone away from Anomal's thread here, but it's quicker and easier than repeating everything I've already written there.

In summary, per Reeves's argument, the original layout of the tomb matches what we know of queens' tombs from Dynasty 18. The north wall in Tut's burial chamber, theoretically, seals off a deeper burial chamber, and Reeves convincingly argues that the decoration scheme of the north wall was reworked to accommodate Tut at a later time. It's all in Reeves's paper, and he does it greater justice than I can. The point is, it was only through accident and lack of preparedness that Tut ended up in there.

Perhaps I'm playing devil's advocate. I think Reeves has made a very strong case for more rooms in KV62, and the ministry of antiquities obviously agrees. But personally speaking, I also don't think they'll find Nefertiti in there. I'd love to be proved wrong, though. That could be a greater discovery than even Tut's burial was.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice! Hope further imaging will suggest a hidden chamber.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151106-tut-tutankhamun-tomb-thermal-imaging-nefertiti-archaeology/

A survey of the tomb was conducted using infrared thermography, which measures temperature distributions on a surface.

According to Mamdouh el-Damaty, the Minister of Antiquities, “the preliminary analysis indicates the presence of an area different in its temperature than the other parts of the northern wall.” One possible explanation is that the variation in temperature is, in effect, an infrared shadow of an open area behind the wall.

I called IR scanning in the other thread.

I like it when I am right....

• Like 3

Queen Nefertiti is sex on legs!

I wouldn't kick her out of bed.

I hope they find her alive.

You don't think the wrappings would chafe?

• Like 1

Seriously, though... It would be really funny if Nefertiti's tomb was sitting right there, under their sand-filled noses, all this time.

If that's the case, it could probably have been discovered many years ago by a blind person with a toffee hammer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd recommend that they create a written protocol of the procedure and then perform it on all the known tombs. It could very well be that there are a dozen other hidden tombs/rooms scattered around the other tombs in the Valley of the Kings.

Why dont they dig it up ? I mean, if they remove all the sands over the tombs, you could see the structure and know if there's another chamber right ?

Knowing the so-called "curse" in this tomb, would you want to be the first to enter or not ?

It's Zawi Hawass' antiquities stash !

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

I'd recommend that they create a written protocol of the procedure and then perform it on all the known tombs. It could very well be that there are a dozen other hidden tombs/rooms scattered around the other tombs in the Valley of the Kings.

It's not unprecedented that other burial chambers were found as archaeologists dug further into existing tombs. We know Tut was buried in a hurry and his funeral finery was altered to accommodate him. It could well be that the decision was made to bury him in the antechambers of Nefertiti's tomb so they would be together and the process of forgetting the whole Aten affair could be begun.

• Like 1

I haven't read the entire thread, so, just asking...

Is there some type of time-line to actual excavation with Egyptian authority agreement?

It would be awesome if they did find a chamber that looters had not.

You know who is in there don't you........

mr_peabody_and_sherman_25_bestmoviewalls_by_bestmoviewalls-d7a06mk.jpg

• Like 1