Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zoo seeks challenges for intelligent octopus

UM-Bot

An octopus named Ursula has been impressing zoo keepers with her uncanny puzzle-solving abilities.

The eight-legged cephalopod, which has long exhibited an uncanny knack for successfully manipulating any objects placed in her tank, is now considered so brainy that zoo keepers are seeking outside assistance to help them find a puzzle suitability tailored to her unique skills.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/285298/zoo-seeks-challenges-for-intelligent-octopus

• Like 3

I watched a documentary a few weeks back about animals problem solving abilities . They had a test set up for crows , a standing plastic tube with a piece of meat in the top and the only way to retrieve the meat was to remove 3 pull out shelves from the pipe so the meat would drop down a level with each shelf removed , the crows discovered 2 ways to remove the meat without removing the shelving . One way was to reach into the top of the pipe and remove the meat after much stretching and the second way was to pull the meat through the slot the shelving left when it was removed . I think they solved the puzzle in the end the way the researchers had anticipated , by removing the 3 pull out shelves . anyway, that could be a good test for this octopus .

• Like 2

The things that keeps Cephalopods from truly being masters of the sea regarding intelligence is their short life span, sometimes only a year, and the fact they cannot pass learning on to the next generation. This octopus may be quite smart as her species goes, but that intelligence is a biological dead end.

• Like 1

The things that keeps Cephalopods from truly being masters of the sea regarding intelligence is their short life span, sometimes only a year, and the fact they cannot pass learning on to the next generation. This octopus may be quite smart as her species goes, but that intelligence is a biological dead end.

Not necessarily. As far as I know there is a genetic basis for intelligence so if she reproduces then chances are there is a high possibility that her children will be of somewhat similar intelligence. Learning may not be passed on from generation to generation, however intelligence most certainly can be.

Edited by nuclearwessel

Not necessarily. As far as I know there is a genetic basis for intelligence so if she reproduces then chances are there is a high possibility that her children will be of somewhat similar intelligence. Learning may not be passed on from generation to generation, however intelligence most certainly can be.

We teach and pass on. If that can't be done, not sure it will go anywhere......unless they get longer lifespans.

Peace

Mark

Am i correct in saying there was an octopus during the last world cup that predicted the outcome of evey single match in the tournament?

• Like 1

Look no further than toys 'r us for the challenge. Give it a jigsaw puzzle.

• Like 1

Give it a Nintendo 64, a Super Mario Bros cartridge and a controller.

• Like 1

It might be interesting to give her a set of Legos and see what she can build out of them.

Give it a UM account and see what happens...

Reading users posts on here is often a great way to gauge intelligence. ;)

• Like 1

Give it a UM account and see what happens...

Reading users posts on here is often a great way to gauge intelligence. ;)

That's a terrible thing to do to a poor animal..... :whistle:

• Like 1

You have a point, but unless learning can be passed on and profited by in the next generation, intelligence can probably only go so far.

There was a heron I saw on television that was filmed taking bread fed to pigeons down to the lake to lure fish within striking distance, and it was highly successful, but it did not pass this information on to its chicks or other herons.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah that octopus Paul picked winners in world cup 2010. but failed on 2. 11 out 13 right.

50/50 for right or wrong, nothing too interesting tbh

Can you please teach Ursula how to play chess crack codes and play sudoko and do a crossword and text message on a cell phone and play a video game all at the same time ..I know it sounds ridiculous..but just to see how focused and well she does at multitask ing..I bet the results will surprise us all..they seem to be super intelligent species.