Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

KV62 Alternative History

kmt_sesh

Might be best to try drilling a small pinhole for a small camera to see if there is a space or if there is anything behind it if there is.

Might be best to try drilling a small pinhole for a small camera to see if there is a space or if there is anything behind it if there is.

That's a good idea, and it might become part of the process. Orthoscopy has been used a lot in Egyptology, from exploring the insides of mummies to the insides of tombs. I'd think they would first use GPR to determine if there are large voids where Reeves suggests there are. And if they find voids, they might well send an itty-butty camera through a hole to see what might be in there before there's any thought to removing parts of walls.

I mean, would you really want to open an ancient doorway if you looked through a camera and saw this back there?

• Like 3

I can see the movie now. They send through the probe and at first all the see is a dark dot surrounded by red.

And then it blinks.

Looks like I should've stuck with alien-hybrid love-children to get more traffic in this thread.

When will I learn? :w00t:

Eh, straight up information rarely gets much discussion.

mutter... mutter... mutter.....

What else is there to say?

Nefertiti was not his mother nor his adoptive mother, and she does not predate him by a significant amount of time (making her tomb ripe for reuse.) I would expect (if the chamber is there) to find a wife or a mother or some family member who died before Tut.

I did say "or step mom", and she was the Royal Wife of his father, so that should make her a step mom in some way. She could have even had a hand in raising Tutancomen, because she was about 30 years older then him (Tut born ca 1330 BCE, and Nef born ca 1370 BCE).

Eh, straight up information rarely gets much discussion.

But it is a bonafide alternative theory. I don't usually post such things.

What, it doesn't count if it's a respectable theory by a real historian? I have to turn to Sitchin or von Däniken or someone else of that ilk?

The mere thought hurts my brain.

• Like 1

Kmt_sesh, a bit off-topic I know but has anyone compared a list of known burials from the start to the end of using the Valley of the Kings as well as such things as the Deir el Bahri cache together to get an idea of how many pharaoh's tombs are still unaccounted for?

cormac

• Like 2

Pretty much. Aliens, mystic powers, Atlantis, those are cool and sexy. Fecund topics for believers and skeptics to tear at.

At a guess, because real world mysteries require a good deal of understanding of the subject matter.

Most believers are so because of very basic misunderstandings of history. A person like myself has plenty of resources to use to counter that, but it doesn't give a good bredth of knowledge.

I personally doubt there are more chambers. But thats cynicism on my part, not based off of any good knowledge on the area.

And I enjoy reading your posts, they are enlightening and easy to read.

And the main reason I come here is the discussion of history with topics I don't usually get from the audio lessons or podcasts I listen to.

Edited by ShadowSot

When one gets deep into a study of some place and time in history, it becomes clear we know really very little of what actually happened and even less of the reasons why. That is no reason, however, to fill in the gaps in our knowledge with fantasies and guesses and fictions. When we die what we know dies with us, so the vast majority of human memory is lost forever, and we only have the little that gets written down, and it is filled with biases and omissions and exaggerations and so on.

People of the future will have a slightly, but only slightly, better time of it studying us than we have studying what went on in, say, ancient Rome. We do have a somewhat more objective discipline of reporting history, but there is still plenty written that is untrue or misleading, and of course we will leave film and so on, but selection effects here too will prevent anything like a completely accurate record.

Thinking about it, it is amazing we know as much as we know and can see an overall picture regardless. I would only say a great deal of care and humility is called for if we are to draw lessons from this history.

Kmt_sesh, a bit off-topic I know but has anyone compared a list of known burials from the start to the end of using the Valley of the Kings as well as such things as the Deir el Bahri cache together to get an idea of how many pharaoh's tombs are still unaccounted for?

cormac

Always a good question. Yes, this question has been considered. I can't recall all of the unaccounted-for off the top of my head, but a big one is Amunhotep I. Although there has been some debate about particular tombs in the vicinity of the Valley, his precise tomb is not definitively known. It's odd because this king and his mother, Queen Ahmose Nefertari, were both worshipped as patrons at Deir el Medina, the ancient nearby village where the men lived who carved the tombs in the Valley. They seem to have recognized him as the founder of that particular royal burial ground, but his tomb's location remains mysterious.

The Amarna interlude also causes problems. Although it's clear Akhenaten was buried in his cemetery to the east of Amarna, the ultimate interments of other Amarna monarchs (e.g., Smenkhkare and possibly Nefertiti) remains sketchy at best. That is, unless the body in KV55 is actually Smenkhkare's, which I personally believe it to be (as do many others), but not all agree.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. The ministry of antiquities approved further investigation in the tomb and preliminary results have been released. This came to me in an EEF email:

"Antiquities minister Mamdouh Eldamaty announced on Monday

that the first examinations carried out by himself and British

archeologist Nicholas Reeves in Luxor on Tutankhamun's tomb

have revealed that the tomb's northern and western walls

both hide chambers. There are scratching and markings on

both walls like those found on the entrance gate of

Tutankhamun's tomb when it was discovered in 1922, Eldamaty

explained. "This indicates that the western and northern

walls of Tutankhamun's tomb could hide two burial chambers,"

Eldamaty told Ahram Online. Nicholas Reeves said their

investigations showed the tomb's ceiling extends behind

the northern and western walls. He is now almost convinced

his theory suggesting the existence of two undiscovered

chambers is correct. "After our first examination of the

walls we can do nothing more until we receive the all-clear

from the radar device to confirm the our findings," Reeves

told Ahram Online. Eldamaty has promised that on 4 November,

the same day Tutankhamun's tomb was discovered, the radar

results of scans on the two walls will be announced. (..)

At the footsteps of Tutankhamun's tomb Reeves enthusiastically

told Ahram Online that although they must wait for the radar

results, they were able to look for other features not

present in the digital photos he had been using. (..) They

found several such features; the extended ceiling, the traces

of two doorways and royal stamps. (..)"

Link

• Like 3

I guess we should check it out and see what's inside. I imagine it would be difficult, as they would have to dig in through the top so they don't ruin the wall paintings. Still, secret hidden chambers in famous tombs! How exciting I can't wait for more news!

Edited by Erowin

I hope there is VERY good security there. I can imagine a hundred robbers coming down on the site with the expectation of carrying off golden couches and sarcophagus.

I hope there is VERY good security there. I can imagine a hundred robbers coming down on the site with the expectation of carrying off golden couches and sarcophagus.

Won't the ancient tomb curse protect everything?

• Like 2

Is the curse that Zahi Hawass jumps out at you while you are in the shower?

That sooore would give ya a hort attack, ain't it?

Is the curse that Zahi Hawass jumps out at you while you are in the shower?

Thanks a lot, SS. Now I'll be too afraid to shower.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, SS. Now I'll be too afraid to shower.

Last I seen Hawass he was not capable of jumping much, so nothing to be afraid of until you have to deal with his ghost.

You should only be worried if you violates the tomb.

You... Didn't viilate the tomb, right?

Does going into the Great Pyramid and peeing inside the relieving chambers count?

Get it? Relieving chambers?

• Like 1

Does going into the Great Pyramid and peeing inside the relieving chambers count?

Get it? Relieving chambers?

I get it. I'm not laughing, but I surrender a good natured groan.