Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Archaeologists seek out 'Britain's Atlantis'

UM-Bot

Researchers are attempting to learn more about the people who were swallowed up by the North Sea.

Britain's distinctive coastline might be familiar to us today, but prior to around 7,500 years ago its land mass wasn't actually an island at all - instead stretching right the way across what is now the North Sea and connecting Britain up with mainland Europe through a region known as Doggerland.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...itains-atlantis

• Like 1

Anyone working on that project must be pinching themselves . I hope there are some incredible findings and new ideas , especially with the modern humans that used that land .

Sounds like we had global warming for a long time. So it's not all our fault! :tu:

• Like 1

"However, this project will access new data at a scale never previously attempted. Novel mapping, DNA extraction and computer modelling representing people, animals and even individual plants will generate a 4 dimensional model of how Doggerland was colonised and eventually lost to the sea."

With 100,000 square miles, I'd imagine this isn't going to be easy. To even find just one human habitation site may well take years. I wish them good luck.

• Like 1

could an oral story of this event have spurned the atlantis myth?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Lyonesse was Britain's Atlantis.

Considering that the sunken "Doggerland" completely surrounds Britain, I wonder if the legend of Lyonesse, a country which supposedly bordered Cornwall before it sank, is a collective ancient memory of the time before Doggerland was submerged, when Britain wasn't an island.