Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Students protest transgender use of locker rm

OverSword

So what opinions do we have here? Should someone with male genitals have the right to use the women's locker room or restroom because they identify as female? Do the females with female genitalia have the right to protest?

From the article:

Nearly 200 students walked out of a Missouri high school on Monday because Lila Perry was changing in the girl’s locker room.

While Caitlyn Jenner and other transgender celebrities have been greeted with almost universal acceptance, the road has been far rockier for transgender individuals such as Perry, the 17-year-old senior who is navigating new terrain at Hillsboro High School.

“It wasn’t too long ago white people were saying, ‘I don’t feel comfortable sharing a bathroom with a black person,’ and history repeats itself,” Perry told Fox2.

The nearly two-hour protest featured both those opposed to Perry using ladies’ facilities and those who supported her right to do so.

“I’m not going to hurt their daughters,” said Perry, addressing concerned parents. “I’m not going to expose myself. I’m not a pervert. I’m a transgender woman. I’m a girl. I’m just in there to change, do my business, and that if they have any questions about being transgender, they are more than welcome to talk to me, and I’ll be happy to explain it.”

Perry was stuck in the principal’s office – the school says for her safety – while her classmates debated her rights – and theirs.

Part of the issue is that while Perry identifies as transgender, she still has male genitalia. Perry wears a wig and female clothing, but hasn’t undergone any medical operations to transform her body.

“I find it offensive because Lila has not went through any procedure to become female,” student Sophie Beel told Fox2. “Putting on a dress and putting on a wig is not transgender to me.”

Link

• Like 5

It's stories like this that remind me of just how strange my society has become.

And I have a trans-gendered childhood playmate m2f.

But, she said, she is not there for cheap thrills or to expose herself.

So let her have usage of the room.

• Like 2

Ashotep's solution is perfect imo. The individual said he didn't want to be segregated but it gets down to the rights of the majority I believe. Why should dozens of girls be made uncomfortable to be accepting of one individual's rights? If my daughter were wanting to shower and change in the guy's locker I'd feel the same way, though that situation really doesn't translate so well in our culture. Where does it end?

• Like 7

i think you could have come up with a title that did not use an actual slur. if you are more interested in making the title fit than if it hurts other people, i'm not buying that you're sorry.

• Like 6

edit: never mind, probably misreading

Edited by seaturtlehorsesnake

Until he has a sex change procedure he is still a male and should use the changing rooms provided for his gender, I would not have been comfortable at school having a male in the changing rooms, I understand that he identifies himself as a female but he isn't one yet. If they let him use the changing rooms I wonder how many other males at the school will pretend to be transgender so they can use the ladies changing rooms and cop a good old perve?

• Like 9

a trans woman is not a gay man.

The point was, a gay man has no interest in women. Do you think they should be able to use the girl's locker room too?

• Like 3

Until he has a sex change procedure he is still a male and should use the changing rooms provided for his gender, I would not have been comfortable at school having a male in the changing rooms, I understand that he identifies himself as a female but he isn't one yet. If they let him use the changing rooms I wonder how many other males at the school will pretend to be transgender so they can use the ladies changing rooms and cop a good old perve?

You know, there is an episode of South Park were Cartman pretends to be Transgender so that he can be able to poop in the girls bathroom because the men's is always taken. They end up making him his own personal bathroom which he is so pleased with.

• Like 7

Until he has a sex change procedure he is still a male and should use the changing rooms provided for his gender,

there is no such thing as sex change procedure, a male will never become female, have ovalries, and give birth, no female will ever become male, no sugery will change her dna add y chromosome, , and such "male" will never be able to "knock up" another woman.

all this procedure is, a cosmetic mutilation. not a sex change procedure

Edited by aztek
  • Like 4

there is no such thing as sex change procedure, a male will never become female, have ovalries, and give birth, no female will ever become male, no sugery will change her dna add y chromosome, , and such "male" will never be able to "knock up" another woman.

all this procedure is, a cosmetic mutilation. not a sex change procedure

Ok thanks for educating me, I was sure I had heard it referred to it before as a sex change procedure before, That's all, Also I was shocked to discover that somebody without ovaries will never give birth, This is why I love it here, Always people here to tell you what's what :)

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 3

But this isn't about bathrooms, this is about locker rooms. Where everyone changes together, in front of each other. Very different.

• Like 1

But this isn't about bathrooms, this is about locker rooms. Where everyone changes together, in front of each other. Very different.

the article talks quite a bit about restrooms as well, and if the locker room has private changing stalls (as many do) than it's still a similar issue.

Ok thanks for educating me, I was sure I had heard it referred to it before as a sex change procedure before, That's all, Also I was shocked to discover that somebody without ovaries will never give birth, This is why I love it here, Always people here to tell you what's what :)

It IS such a relief, no? :w00t:
  • Like 1

well sure, if you refer a cosmetic mutilation as sex change procedure(that does not change sex) you will have people tell you what is what.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

It IS such a relief, no? :w00t:

Yes, I don't know how I'd get through life if it wasn't for people stating the bleeding obvious to me.

well sure, if you refer a cosmetic mutilation as sex change procedure(that does not change sex) you will have people tell you what is what.

Nah, Just you it seems :)

• Like 1

I'm personally for gender-nautral bathrooms, or urinal/non urinal bathrooms. You have to take into consideration the safety of trans people, too. Many MtF trans people don't feel safe in the men's room. I go out to bars and stuff with my friend all the time, and she still uses the men's room because she doesn't want to cause a scene, even though she's been harassed in the male bathrooms. Also, trans is not a sexuality, so setting aside the fact that it's painfully stupid to say that a MtF trans person still has "male eyes," doesn't mean they're attracted to women. Lesbians are allowed in women's locker rooms, right? No problem there... Until it does become a problem, in which case I'd recommend banning the individual.

Now, I can acknowledge that in schools, it may be difficult. But to touch on what WoodsBooger said, teens are insecure. Give them private places to change! I remeber very clearly waiting for everyone else to leave the locker room before I'd change, making me late to class. People would make fun of each other, bully each other, steal things from each other, Jesus I remember hearing about boys peeing on each other's clothes at least once a month. Those are far more pressing issues in locker rooms I think we should worry about.

So, tl:dr, give everyone more private space to change, possibly introduce more non-binary bathrooms and locker rooms, and stop being shallow.

Now, I'm just going to leave this, Alice Dreger's TEDTalk "Is Anatomy Destiny?" here:

• Like 2

apperantly not so obvious, since you refer as sex change procedure to something that does not change sex at all, apperantly obvious things you do not see.

Edited by aztek