Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Students protest transgender use of locker rm

OverSword

"It is ironic that what was probably a well-meaning effort to be 'sensitive' proves offensive to many people, myself included," Huddleston said.

This week, two blogs that follow university issues wrote about the guidelines, which discourage use of words and phrases including "American," "healthy," "rich" and "older people."

University spokesman Erika Mantz said the Bias Free Language Guide was written in 2013 by "a small group of community members."

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20150729/NEWS04/150739993/1008/NEWS04&template=mobileart

Here's another example of going over board with political correctness. Thankfully this college isn't forcing everyone to follow it.

• Like 1

Why doesn't the school principle grow a pair and deal with it? Tell the kid "she" has to shower with the rest of the group that looks like "her" physically .... or opt out of Phys-Ed. ... too harsh?

... the last two paragraphs of OverSword's linked article:

School administrators have been supportive of her plight, Perry said, though that support may be due in part to legal concerns. Refusing a student’s right to use the bathroom of the sex with which they identify could mean trouble from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.

“The Office of Civil Rights has issued an opinion that says, if you do this, you have engaged in gender discrimination,” said Kelli Hopkins, of the Missouri School Boards’ Association.“At the same time, there is no case law or statute in Missouri that says this is against the law.”

I'm guessing this is as much about HS drama queens and pleasing parents than anything else. This is about a locker room, a place to change where people can be as modest or immodest as they please.

Or maybe things have changed a lot since I was in HS long ago. When we traveled, our band buses were coed changing rooms and backstage at theaters productions clothes often flew everywhere in between scenes. No one paid much attention and everyone knew what color underwear everyone else was wearing without asking. As for the "nice, shy" girls? One of the most evil punishments was for a boy to get dragged into the girl's room. Not as wild as it sounds but wedgies weren't unknown along with over dramatic male screams. We did have at least a couple of male trans and they didn't mind using the men's, probably much safer.

The US in so many ways seems to be going backward but as for Lila's actual gender? Human sexuality is very complicated but most ancient and a few modern societies recognize more than male and female. Today the science behind it is starting to become clearer and visible sex organs don't determine gender. It's what's taught in any decent sex education class often with illustrations.

Another point is that when and if these young people get to college things get a lot more interesting and HS is supposed to a time to prepare them for that.

However, while I support Lila in principle, there was another place to change, so she was probably being a drama queen too. I'd say "The lot of you get to class and stop being silly"..

Edited by owf
  • Like 2

Honestly, I'm not qualified to comment on that. All I am doing in this thread is expressing how I would have felt about all of this when I was in Highschool.

I don't mind admitting that I'd have been MORTIFIED to face such a situation when I was 16. I know times have changed, but these girls are openly complaining about being put in the situation. What about THEIR rights?
  • Like 3

How do we do that? Teachers aren't allowed into the children's toilets - ESPECIALLY male teachers. I once got a report of a kid lterally stuck in the toilet, I had to go in with the Principal and another teacher the three of us not being allowed out of the line of sight of another adult. We barely had room to turn around to get the kid out of the cubicle (the door was jammed).

I once had an opportunity to be a program director for an xray school and would have been teaching and managing a department of 20 somethings, mostly young women. It was at a V.A. hospital and I actually refused the position - which I REALLY wanted... because I couldn't get past the idea that my career and even my freedom might be at risk if I made a single one of them mad and looking for revenge over a grade. Within the Federal system it's THAT bad in places. Maybe I was a coward, or maybe I was shrewd..I'll never know :no:
  • Like 1

What happens when someone poses as transgender to get access to the locker room of the opposite sex for any number of unsavory reasons (we all know that there are potentially hugely bad situations which can come of this)?

I think the only solution will really be either separate dressing cubicles, or a male, a female, and a transgender change room.

• Like 3

I'm guessing this is as much about HS drama queens and pleasing parents than anything else. This is about a locker room, a place to change where people can be as modest or immodest as they please.

Or maybe things have changed a lot since I was in HS long ago. When we traveled, our band buses were coed changing rooms and backstage at theaters productions clothes often flew everywhere in between scenes. No one paid much attention and everyone knew what color underwear everyone else was wearing without asking. As for the "nice, shy" girls? One of the most evil punishments was for a boy to get dragged into the girl's room. Not as wild as it sounds but wedgies weren't unknown along with over dramatic male screams. We did have at least a couple of male trans and they didn't mind using the men's, probably much safer.

The US in so many ways seems to be going backward but as for Lila's actual gender? Human sexuality is very complicated but most ancient and a few modern societies recognize more than male and female. Today the science behind it is starting to become clearer and visible sex organs don't determine gender. It's what's taught in any decent sex education class often with illustrations.

Another point is that when and if these young people get to college things get a lot more interesting and HS is supposed to a time to prepare them for that.

However, while I support Lila in principle, there was another place to change, so she was probably being a drama queen too. I'd say "The lot of you get to class and stop being silly"..

Excuse me? The Y chromosome determines gender. If you've got one (xy), you've got male sex organs. If you don't have one (xx), you've got female sex organs.

How simple as that? ... Y chromosomes don't need to be using the ladies' restroom or locker room.

The world's gone friggin' crazy.

• Like 2

Until he has a sex change procedure he is still a male and should use the changing rooms provided for his gender, I would not have been comfortable at school having a male in the changing rooms, I understand that he identifies himself as a female but he isn't one yet. If they let him use the changing rooms I wonder how many other males at the school will pretend to be transgender so they can use the ladies changing rooms and cop a good old perve?

It is biologically impossible to change one's gender. You can change your clothes, change your name, surgically alter your sex organs, and take hormones. But you cannot change your gender. It's part of the DNA of every cell in your body.

• Like 2

It is biologically impossible to change one's gender. You can change your clothes, change your name, surgically alter your sex organs, and take hormones. But you cannot change your gender. It's part of the DNA of every cell in your body.

This is true. However, as you can identify as a different ideology or religion, you can also identify as a different sex.

I may be misremembering, but your sex is male or female, but your gender is less strictly defined.

Which is why they're transgender and not transsexual (thats a planet in the star system Transelvania). You can identify with another gender and have cosmetic surgery to more closely resemble the gender you identity with, and have the appropriate gender nouns applied to you.

But sexually, chromosomally you're still XY.

• Like 2

Excuse me? The Y chromosome determines gender.

Not quite accurate. The Y chromosome determines the physical 'sex' of the organism/person ('sex' is not the same as gender). 'Gender' however, as we are learning is an identity - not just a physical state (sex).

• Like 2

If the fear is that the kid is just pretending to be trans, then why not just talk to the parents? I'm sure they'll know.

Bottom line is however awkward it is for people, there are reasons that transgendered people have this right. In part, it's because they have a right to privacy about being transgendered. Once you force someone who is dressed as female and may be anywhere on the scale of transition, you have outed them for this. Apparently, the kids already know that this individual is trans. On the other hand, I'm kinda doubting there wouldn't be similar issues if the person was changing in the boy's locker room. People still have hangups about this.

The outing thing is also why a special facility just for them isn't an answer to the problem. It still segregates them, shines a spotlight on them, and it's essentially, separate and unequal.

I think if the person isn't doing anything sexual, and is not exposing parts that aren't expected to be seen in a girl's locker room, it really shouldn't be an issue. If any girls really feel that self-conscious, they could do what I'm sure the the trans person does, and change in a bathroom stall.

Edited by ChaosRose

Easy enough to find out - just use the gender pronoun. If they bristle or get annoyed, they're pretending.

If the fear is that the kid is just pretending to be trans, then why not just talk to the parents? I'm sure they'll know.

Bottom line is however awkward it is for people, there are reasons that transgendered people have this right. In part, it's because they have a right to privacy about being transgendered. Once you force someone who is dressed as female and may be anywhere on the scale of transition, you have outed them for this. Apparently, the kids already know that this individual is trans. On the other hand, I'm kinda doubting there wouldn't be similar issues if the person was changing in the boy's locker room. People still have hangups about this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the purpose of the locker room seperation is all about unwelcome genitalia and not about psychological issues?

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the purpose of the locker room seperation is all about unwelcome genitalia and not about psychological issues?

Being transgender is no longer classified as a psychological disorder. There are certainly issues that can develop because of the way society ostracizes them.

Being transgender is no longer classified as a psychological disorder. There are certainly issues that can develop because of the way society ostracizes them.

Not what I meant. Just that it has nothing to do with mentality and all about what physical extremities the women in those locker rooms shouldn't have to be around.

Edited by SenorDomino
  • Like 1

Not what I meant. Just that it has nothing to do with mentality and all about what physical extremities the women in those locker rooms shouldn't have to be around.

You're right. It doesn't have to do with mentality. It's about brain structure, genetics, and hormone reception. A person can't change that by putting on different clothing or using different facilities. They are still going to be who they are. And who they are is a person who should be using the girl's locker room...because despite what might be between their legs, they're really female. Certainly an underage trans person may not have yet taken any measures to make the transition, and they will simply dress as who they are. Because it's who everything about them except their genitalia is telling them they are.

You're right. It doesn't have to do with mentality. It's about brain structure, genetics, and hormone reception. A person can't change that by putting on different clothing or using different facilities. They are still going to be who they are. And who they are is a person who should be using the girl's locker room...because despite what might be between their legs, they're really female. Certainly an underage trans person may not have yet taken any measures to make the transition, and they will simply dress as who they are.

Biologically they still resemble a male. Seems the best solution is that they should have their own seperate areas until the procedure's done if they can't use the male locker room.

Because it's who everything about them except their genitalia is telling them they are.

But it is their genitalia that will make it a very awkward situation for everyone else.

• Like 4

Biologically they still resemble a male. Seems the best solution is that they should have their own seperate areas until the procedure's done if they can't use the male locker room.

But it is their genitalia that will make it a very awkward situation for everyone else.

Yes, they will. I'm sure over time, people will get over it. They adapted to using the same facilities as black people.

Separate and unequal, like I said, is separate and unequal...and shines a spotlight on them for being different.

Edited by ChaosRose

Yes, they will. I'm sure over time, people will get over it. They adapted to using the same facilities as black people.

That's not the same at all. This has nothing to do with intolerance. If that was the case the solution would be to drop male/female locker rooms whatsoever.

• Like 4

That's not the same at all. This has nothing to do with intolerance. If that was the case the solution would be to drop male/female locker rooms whatsoever.

It has everything to do with intolerance and people fearing what they don't understand.

• Like 1

It has everything to do with intolerance and people fearing what they don't understand.

No, it has to do with genitalia of the opposite gender being in the wrong locker room.

• Like 4

No, it has to do with genitalia of the opposite gender being in the wrong locker room.

Again...gender doesn't match genitalia. This person's sex is male, but their gender is female.

Part of the issue for underage trans people is that of course surgery may not be an option yet.

Edited by ChaosRose

Again...gender doesn't match genitalia. This person's sex is male, but their gender is female.

Doesn't matter. The locker rooms are there to seperate biological sex, not mental gender. I couldn't care less if someone is trans, the seperation just makes no sense if this is how it's going to be and it might as well be abolished.

• Like 5