Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia sets up mammoth cloning laboratory

UM-Bot

Scientists in Siberia have set up a lab dedicated to the goal of cloning a mammoth from ancient DNA.

Situated in Yakutsk, the world's coldest city, the new laboratory will focus on locating live cells within the preserved remains of prehistoric beasts with the intention of creating cloned animals.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ning-laboratory

• Like 1

Ok guys, time to share your theoretical mammoth rib recipes.

Cause Imma gonna get me some of that good eat'n once them mammoths are up and running.

• Like 2

On this note I take it they have found a cure for cancer?

Ebola is now a thing of the past?

And God has resigned and handed over the post to this lot?

• Like 3

This will be the new space race.

• Like 3

Untill i see a T-rex running amock in a theme park, i couldn't give a $h!t what those damn ruskies are up to

• Like 2

This could be a mammoth mistake

Edited by Father Merrin
  • Like 6

Untill i see a T-rex running amock in a theme park, i couldn't give a $h!t what those damn ruskies are up to

prehistoric mammals are so boring

• Like 1

Upon before reading the article, I'm thinking, Oh crap, here comes Helena!

tumblr_inline_mpc1rvthXt1qz4rgp.gif

Upon reading the article, and such, I really hope there won't be a real version of Jurassic Park.

Science is not monolithic, there are many facilities working on cancer and they would be glad for our donations and support. As for Ebola, I saw they they have developed a vaccine that apparently is 100% effective against the disease, presumably they will be mass producing it at some point to stop the disease from spreading when it breaks out, at least that is their plan as I understand it.

Early humans may have played a role in the extinction of the Mammoth. I see it as an opportunity to restore an ecosystem that is missing one of its key components. I realize that may be decades or centuries away, but the African Elephant is a keystone species in its habitat opening waterholes and preventing overgrowth of trees, keeping the animals of the savannah supplied with both water and grasslands; it is just possible the Mammoth is more important to the Tundra and Boreal Forests than just some lumbering curiosity.

Also, you do not know where the technology may lead, and I mean in a good way. Man has played God before with the result of causing the extinction of multiple animal species, some out of greed, some out of ignorance, but perhaps we can "repay" God by righting a wrong done to His creation and replace some of the missing pieces we have thoughtlessly destroyed.

• Like 2

I'm not going to be happy till those Bronto burgers are real.....

Even if they created mammoths and freed them into the tundra, poachers would kill them like the next day.

• Like 1

No.

No.

No.

• Like 2

Seems like kind of a random task to focus on achieving...

• Like 1

I caution this may be Pandorra's Box.

Seems like kind of a random task to focus on achieving...

maybe it's just because frozen Mammoth's ,hopefully including viable DNA? turn up from time to time? We don't seem to hear about the frozen mouse find? ;o)

Not every scientist has the know how or where-with-all to create cures... some scientists do not work with cells and dna at all. Apples to oranges by comparison. So while we would love those things first it simply can not be up to every scientist to race to your cures... other fields of study need attention also.

• Like 1

Science is not monolithic, there are many facilities working on cancer and they would be glad for our donations and support. As for Ebola, I saw they they have developed a vaccine that apparently is 100% effective against the disease, presumably they will be mass producing it at some point to stop the disease from spreading when it breaks out, at least that is their plan as I understand it.

Early humans may have played a role in the extinction of the Mammoth. I see it as an opportunity to restore an ecosystem that is missing one of its key components. I realize that may be decades or centuries away, but the African Elephant is a keystone species in its habitat opening waterholes and preventing overgrowth of trees, keeping the animals of the savannah supplied with both water and grasslands; it is just possible the Mammoth is more important to the Tundra and Boreal Forests than just some lumbering curiosity.

Also, you do not know where the technology may lead, and I mean in a good way. Man has played God before with the result of causing the extinction of multiple animal species, some out of greed, some out of ignorance, but perhaps we can "repay" God by righting a wrong done to His creation and replace some of the missing pieces we have thoughtlessly destroyed.

This post says it in length very well.

To your god comment. If that is your belief god also gave us free will and the inteligence to seek answers, create, and discover. We would be making god proud that we didnt waste his effort in creating us.

Not every scientist has the know how or where-with-all to create cures... some scientists do not work with cells and dna at all. Apples to oranges by comparison. So while we would love those things first it simply can not be up to every scientist to race to your cures... other fields of study need attention also.

What a scientist trying to clone a mammoth not need to know about cells and DNA?

What a scientist trying to clone a mammoth not need to know about cells and DNA?

Of course. I was expanding on the generalization. so often when people hear of scientific research they wonder why their their own prioritized research isn't being done.