Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK to accept 'thousands' more Syrian refugees

Still Waters

The UK is to provide resettlement to "thousands" more Syrian refugees in response to the worsening humanitarian crisis, David Cameron has announced.

He said the extra refugees would come from UN camps bordering Syria, and not from among people already in Europe.

Britain would act with its "head and heart", he said, as he pledged to find long-term solutions to the crisis.

The prime minister has previously said accepting more people was not the simple answer to the situation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34148913

• Like 1

While I appreciate the problems that immigration is posing to many nations currently, we should always retain our sense of common humanity and compassion towards those who are genuinely in need. The situation in the ME is desperate for many, many people who have little choice but to flee from what would undoubtedly be persecution and violence inflicted upon them.

I agree that accepting more immigrants is not the "simple answer", or even the "best answer" - but it may be the only practical answer until the situation in the ME can be made so that the people no longer have to fear the sort of treatment we know they are in danger of receiving there.

• Like 7

The issue of what means 'migrants' and what constitutes as 'refugee' has to be settled first ~

• Like 3

Well, The British Government has buckled from the pressure groups. sparked by a picture of a small boy drowned on the Greek shore. - even though this scene has been going on since 2008, with bodies washed up on the shores of the Mediterranean. - It seems forgotten the amount of Aid the British Tax payer has already sent to the Syrian Refugee UN camps. We've already been Accepting Syrian Refugees from these UN camps 5,000 was the figure i've seen.

I said to my mate last night in work, Its clear the Government was going to cave in. I hope Cameron sends out a clear message that any Refugees the UK takes, will be from the UN Refugee camps. and only the UN Camps. not those already illegally in Europe. and it seems like he has done this. - those refugees we do take in should be Christian Syrians.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 4

Hungary have set up reception centres and camps but many are planning to escape and avoid them. With Winter approaching this is going to end in a catastrophy.

• Like 1

The issue of what means 'migrants' and what constitutes as 'refugee' has to be settled first ~

I am afraid that there is nothing to discuss there: a refugee is somebody who escapes bodily or psychological harm by migrating to a safe place, preferable where he/she can make a living.

• Like 2

I am afraid that there is nothing to discuss there: a refugee is somebody who escapes bodily or psychological harm by migrating to a safe place, preferable where he/she can make a living.

A Refugee is someone fleeing persecution. NOTE: it doesn't mean because a country is suffering a internal conflict that every citizen of that country instantly becomes a refugee. - A migrant is someone who is NOT being persecuted but has the means, financial mobility to migrate looking for work. Migrants should be applying for a work visa to gain lawful entry into a country to look for Work. What we are seeing in Europe is mass illegal migration. with these migrants paying thousands of dollars in the process.

The whole thing is deliberately being confused. We only have to look at Hungary, they've set up camps to register and sort out the difference between Refugees and Migrants. Its at this point that the migrants turn violent, refuse food, even for their kids in protest at being prevented from travelling to Germany/Austria as we've seen on the train in Hungary. the violence is down to the fact they don't want to be registered or finger printed. - they just want to get to Germany.

Europe should be deporting everyone whose illegally made the trip. and the genuine refugees the poor sods who are stuck, stuck i say in the UN refugee camps in countries neighbouring Syria. these are the refugees, the ones who have no money, the ones who are elderly, those with disabilities. the FORGOTTEN ones - because the stupid left wing liberals can only see as far as the end of their nose.

As for the UK and its moral obligation. We haven't dropped one bomb in Syria, not fired a single shot, and continually voted not to bomb Syria. The British tax payer is biggest Aid donor in Europe, second in the world only to the USA, but as a percentage of per capita, we are the biggest Aid donor in the world. paying more than Germany, France Spain and Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands combined to the UN Refugee camps.

The UK in the last 12 months ending june - as taken in 25,000 refugees. 2,204 where Syrians. that figure now stands at 5,789. 87% of applications are granted Asylum.

Its about time the pro-immigration media in the UK was brought to task. the BBC is the worst. they never show corpses. yet they showed the little Syrian boy who drowned because his family decided to leave a safe country in Turkey for which they were resident for three years. in search of reaching Europe so the father could get dental treatment. Canada had already reused their Asylum application on the grounds they were not refugees.

Hungary. Illegal migrants refusing water and food in protest at not being allowed to travel to Germany. and refusing to go to the reception centre for registration and finger printing.

And in France. Calais Protest by illgeal Migrants. yet again demanding.

None of this is going to end well. imagine when they arrive at their destination and realise jobs are not going to be waiting for them, in short nothing is going to be handed to them on a silver plate, they'll kick off. you wait and see, mark my words.

• Like 6

Why aren't they going to oil rich and peace loving Islamic countries in middle east? Why Europe?

They tried that... while not in danger of getting bombed they would be in danger of starving (i.e. Jordan) or being stabbed by the locals (i.e. Lebanon). The Turks are running out of space so all that is left is a little further North.

A Refugee is someone fleeing persecution.

ehm, yes. And given that these Syrians can say that they are fleeing the IS... of whom we know they also persecute themselves on a whim of their head honcho the definition is quite acceptable.

Why aren't they going to oil rich and peace loving Islamic countries in middle east? Why Europe?

Geography, mainly. In regards those fleeing from Syria, most of them are from the north and so Turkey is the only viable destination. Many Syrians from the east have fled to Iraq, only to be caught up in the conflict there, while refugees from the south have fled to Jordan.

But Turkey hasn't been able to cope with the numbers fleeing (it is not alone in that) so many who fled there end up moving on across the country into eastern Europe (Bulgaria and Greece) and further north and west from there.

Are there any "peace loving Islamic countries in the middle east?"

• Like 1

Geography, mainly. In regards those fleeing from Syria, most of them are from the north and so Turkey is the only viable destination. Many Syrians from the east have fled to Iraq, only to be caught up in the conflict there, while refugees from the south have fled to Jordan.

But Turkey hasn't been able to cope with the numbers fleeing (it is not alone in that) so many who fled there end up moving on across the country into eastern Europe (Bulgaria and Greece) and further north and west from there.

Well consider that if Turkey didn't support regime change in Syria in the first place, then there wouldn't be a refugee problem to start off with. So lets not kid ourselves... Turkey has flooded Europe with refugees, its that simple!

• Like 2

Well consider that if Turkey didn't support regime change in Syria in the first place, then there wouldn't be a refugee problem to start off with. So lets not kid ourselves... Turkey has flooded Europe with refugees, its that simple!

Dont forget to add Saudi Arabia to the mix. - Saudi Arabia the wealthiest country in the region, biggest sponsor of state terrorism in the world. they Spend Billions a year in building, furnishing and supplying Mosques all around the western world. spreading their Islam. - they continually sponsor terrorists in their own region to do the same thing. the House of Saud is a million times worse than ISIS, but we call them our allies. the Country we should have supported in the region was Iran, back in 79' we dropped the ball in not supporting the shah. not least opposed the coup d'état in 53'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'%C3%A9tat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Revolution

can someone please tell me how to turn a link into a word. so the word becomes highlightable, and when you click it, it takes you to a linked source.

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

Turkey/USA/UK/Israel all supported regime change in Syria - I would say that we are under obligation to clear up the mess we helped to create. Until we accept the consequences of our own adventurism we are in no position to wash our hands of the refugee problem.

I advocate no more adventurism.

Br Cornelius

Lets face it, Its a poor situation in Syria. but Thousands of young men of fighting age have fled their country. who in my view should be taking up arms and fighting for their land, women and children, against ISIS. because the Thousands who've fled surely outnumber ISIS. I seen on Twitter a stupid left wing nut job saying Britain should send troops to fight in Syria so the "refugees" can return home. when someone pointed out the thousands of Young Syrian men who've fled should be fighting. she said, British soldiers get paid more. :wacko: That is the mentality were up against.

• Like 2

Its about time the pro-immigration media in the UK was brought to task. the BBC is the worst. they never show corpses. yet they showed the little Syrian boy who drowned because his family decided to leave a safe country in Turkey for which they were resident for three years. in search of reaching Europe so the father could get dental treatment. Canada had already reused their Asylum application on the grounds they were not refugees.

Oh so the family were living in Turkey before the father risked his kid's lives going over the water -

Funny how we don't hear about that on the news - and the other things you have said -

A dead child washed up on a beach is a heart breaker - but it makes me uncomfortable the way the poor little

thing is now being used to manipulate the public in Britain (and around the world)...

David Cameron is looking pretty rough at the moment as well he might - he said yesterday that it is Assad's

fault - but he must know in his heart (unless he is in total denial) that he and Blair have been instrumental in

destabilising the region - first in Iraq and Libya, then by interfering in Syria -

But that was then and now is now - I can't see us staying in the European Union after these latest events -

and I think there could be serious social unrest in Germany a little way down the line -

None of this is going to end well. imagine when they arrive at their destination and realise jobs are not going to be waiting for them, in short nothing is going to be handed to them on a silver plate, they'll kick off. you wait and see, mark my words.

I think you are right -

• Like 1

Turkey/USA/UK/Israel all supported regime change in Syria - I would say that we are under obligation to clear up the mess we helped to create. Until we accept the consequences of our own adventurism we are in no position to wash our hands of the refugee problem.

Br Cornelius

I agree that there is a collective responsibility concerning the mass emigration outta Syria but when exactly do we bite the bullet and admit that the anti Assad policy has failed and as such needs to be rethinked. This sudden refugee rush to enter Europe has only one purpose and that is to bring Syria and the removal of Assad to the fore front of world affairs. Which would only favour militant Sunni politics and we've all seen what Sunni politics is all about. These refugees are nothing but pawns for those that started this war and should be in housed in Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Israel... its their mess.

Br Cornelius

Exactly. If people don't like the consequence of their nations foreign policy STOP voting for leaders/political partys who BOMB other countries.

I agree that there is a collective responsibility concerning the mass emigration outta Syria but when exactly do we bite the bullet and admit that the anti Assad policy has failed and as such needs to be rethinked. This sudden refugee rush to enter Europe has only one purpose and that is to bring Syria and the removal of Assad to the fore front of world affairs. Which would only favour militant Sunni politics and we've all seen what Sunni politics is all about. These refugees are nothing but pawns for those that started this war and should be in housed in Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Israel... its their mess.

Yes.... housed in Israel.... a border nation.

Yes.... housed in Israel.... a border nation.

I detect a disturbance in the force...

It's a pity the migrants and refugees can't walk on water - they could make their way to America -

Who's interference in the region - ( as part of the power struggle with Russia ?) -

Has been at the root of the 'problem' -

I know the Blame Game doesn't change anything for the displaced people at this stage -

but..... <_<

A lump came to my throat reading about the reception of the refugees in Germany and Austria. The Hungarians should be ashamed.

It is true that most of these are probably "Economic" immigrants -- meaning their lives are in no terrible danger and the main motive is to improve their lives and the lives of their children. I just do not see anything wrong with that.

Germany and Austria are getting an influx of young ambitious people willing to take risks. The saying is, "When the going gets tough the tough get up and go." A nation can only be helped by an influx of such people, especially as their work will pay the pensions of the otherwise aging German population.

Of course there are cultural differences and there will be acculturation problems, and a few of the Muslims coming in will be dangerous radicals. They will deal with them and end up a richer, more vibrant, wealthier, more powerful and certainly more admirable society.

• Like 1

@Frank Merton - that's a very positive post and outlook on the situation -

A few are cheering the first few thousand - will they cheer the first few hundred thousand?

The first million?

This is just the beginning of the Exodus? Invasion? Re-location? what ever it turns out to be....

Difficult times ahead for all involved....

I could be wrong, of course - but when the word spreads of this successful entry into European Citizenship,

many many more will start the journey to get here -

It's only natural to want to save yourself and make a better life - everyone understands this -

it's just the practicalities and future consequence that are of concern -

Heaven knows - if cultural wars break out in European countries somewhere down the line

we might become refugees ourselves....and THATS how serious it is for Europe (IMO)

http://www.nbcnews.c...germany-n422486

They seemed dazed by the calls of "welcome to Munich," from the few dozen well-wishers remaining at around midnight, as well as by their determination to thrust chocolate bars, bananas or bread rolls into their hands.

Austria said 9,000 people had crossed from Hungary on Saturday. At the frontier with Hungary, Austrian police said the flow of people had slowed, with some still crossing on foot.

• Like 2

I would like Cameron to explain to the public what he has in mind for these "refugees" ,we have people here living on the Bread Line, and waiting for houses, and have thousands trying to find work, so how will He manage to accommodate these refugee people,if they are given priority for houses and work He's going to have a rebellion from poorer British people wanting a decent life.

I sympathise with some of these refugees ,but looking at the news it would seem that the majority of refugees are young, fit mobile men who are causing a lot of trouble within Europe by their aggressive attitudes. (and they are all Cowards running away instead of standing up and fighting an evil regime).If we had lost WW2, I would atill be fighting the invaders.

• Like 2