Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drone-busting chimp shows 'forward planning'

UM-Bot

Scientists have been studying the case of a chimp that used a branch to knock a drone out of the air.

The incident, which took place at the Royal Burgers Zoo in Arnhem, saw an inquisitive chimpanzee pick up and use a tree branch to swat a camera-equipped drone that a TV crew had been using to record footage for a documentary.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/285717/drone-busting-chimp-shows-forward-planning

• Like 1

Not seeing the original news item, was the drone a hovering one? Those typically don't fly very fast making them easier to hit. It's still amazing the chimp was bothered enough by the camera drone that she attacked it, methodically. Can the "Planet of the Apes" be far away?

• Like 1

Animals are smarter than we give them credit for... and forward planning in chimps has been established quite a few years ago by the famous dangling banana experiment (having a banana to high to reach and a box in the room), that is not new.

• Like 3

It seems more spur of the moment, rather than forward planning.

• Like 1

It seems more spur of the moment, rather than forward planning.

So you think the chimp just happened to be standing there with a branch? No, it planned it.

Well, would he do the same thing if swatting away a bee or fly or a perceived predator? That's what they do when they feel threatened. Its still planning...but normal.

• Like 1

Who's smarter? I guess the chimp showed the drone operator it clearly understood the dynamics of artificiality extending its reach. I guess the operator forgot Chimps regularly use tools? :clap:

Edited by Saitung

I dont know what the fuss is ! Ham the chimp flew a space shuttle to Saturn and back

Edited by Father Merrin

Swinging by using the vines randomly available high in the jungle requires some forward planning, too. Else the jungle floor would be a carpet of monkey pelts.

Why is it that we assume animals are totally dumb rather than assume they may be smart. Perhaps we can't deal with animals being better at some things than we are?

===============

One day I was enjoying my Beta, Purple Munchie, by dropping little round food pellets into the fish bowl. He would lung at each one as if they were some kind of enemy he was at war with.

He lunged at one very energetically, but his aim was off. It lodged in the corner of his mouth's jaw. He could not open his jaw any further, nor could he close it.

He began swimming quickly in every direction. I thought he was frantic, and he might have been, but I decided he was also searching for a tool he could use to dislodge it. There was none.

So, with a toothpick braced against the rim of the mouth of the bowl, deep enough to be below the water's surface, he checked to see if it stationary, then lunged tapping the toothpick point perfectly at the point that would cause it to pop into his mouth.

It was amazing!