Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Live pterosaur' filmed flying over Idaho

Anomalocaris

Looks convincing to me. It's defantly flying you can see the light on its " wings".

But WTF.?

I've seen the full version of this video, it actually shows the guy following it with a car to a rocky ledge where it regurgitates fish for its babies.

Ok, where is that video then?

All those that say it's fake say so without evidence to show it is fake, so common nowadays, to make judgements without any evidence whatsoever to support such "conclusions". We heard it all before about the EM drive, thank you very much, look how wrong you were.

That's not how it works. If a person posts this and claims it's a pterosaur, then it's up to them to prove it--it's not up to us to prove a negative. If you would just use some critical thinking you're realize that these things can't exist, and that there is no evidence of them. Unless, you have evidence that will change our minds.

Do you? Do you have the supposed "full version" of the video, or are you just making that up? Now's your chance to step up and be a hero and put us "skeptics" to shame. Give us a link to the video you claim to have seen.

It's well known that mythical creatures follow roads...and humans....

"Mythical" creature following "real" roads and humans? I'm not sure you know what the word mythical actually means. And pterosaurs aren't mythical, the did exist...millions of years ago.

By the way, do you have any proof to back up your claim? How well-known could that knowledge actually be then?

The proof that this is cgi fake is when the thing moves it's head down.the sun suddenly enlightened the Skin. the upper Part! It's a impossible flight pattern!

If it shine that way it had to descend in a sharp dive,thats an aerodynamic law.

But it goes on in a straight line...

So...nice try but i don't buy it!!

Edited by seko

A remote controlled glider perhaps? A very well built one if it is. How ever I have in my Unexplained Mysteries Encyclopedia set pictures from the Civil war of them.

• Like 1

Aardvark-DK- I think next time you need to set your Sarcasm levels to Maximum.

Or some folk need to reset the filters on their sarcasm detectors...

• Like 4

The flapping motions don't look quite right... It seldom seems to extend the flapping below it's body, and it seems like it would

need a deeper more powerful motion to stay aloft... I could be wrong, but most large birds - even when 'gliding' seem to bring

their wings lower during a flap...

I agree it looks faked. I saw 2 weird and large birds on my way to grand canyon in the 90s. They were so fast and

terrain made it impossible to follow. We searched miles for a day to capture them on camcorder. By the time I unpacked camcorder they split directions behind the hills. I always check out reports on this type of bird in hopes to see the things we saw on vacation caught on film.

This has same type of wings but it is missing the longer tail. What we saw looked more like a crane in flight. But its head and wings matches this video somewhat.

The local Indians said it was thunder birds. Other locals called them gargoyls but those people were souvenir traders so I took that opinion with grain of salt. They were too huge to be cranes or buzzards although they glided as lot like a buzzard intermittently. When I saw them I thought real perydactal at first but in binocals they had dark feathers on body and tail but wings looked more like bats. I'm with the Indians opinion of what we saw. They were awesome whatever they were. Their size was enormous and the heads and wings were unlike any bird I ever saw.

Again I see a disappointing video that appears fake because the flight pattern is all wrong and the hind body is all wrong.

I hope they find whatever I saw before they become extinct. There are some unusual elusive species to be discovered and its disappointing to see fakes instead of good evidence of the huge birds.

As there are houses in the back ground and Asuming there would be many more people out and about I can't belive there to be just one video floating about surely there would be more but on the other hand the United States has the money to recreate extinct animals anyone remember the mammoth with running blood DNA and so on anyone remember the t-rex bone with soft tissue and extracted DNA countries have there secrets but this is a 50/50 for me.

As there are houses in the back ground and Asuming there would be many more people out and about I can't belive there to be just one video floating about surely there would be more but on the other hand the United States has the money to recreate extinct animals anyone remember the mammoth with running blood DNA and so on anyone remember the t-rex bone with soft tissue and extracted DNA countries have there secrets but this is a 50/50 for me.

I'm in the RC camp. I freely admit to not being a pterosaur flight pattern expert, but the wing flapping appears stiff and mechanical, and when it looks underneath its body, the whole body and wings rotate with the head in a very unaerodynamic matter. Then again, I would probably be stiff too, if I had been asleep for 65 million years.

The USA might have the money, but I don't believe it has the technology yet. http://www.popsci.com/woolly-mammoth-dna-brought-life-elephant-cells says that even what George Church and friends have basically injected a small amount of reconstituted mammoth DNA into an elephant cell. This is noteworthy, but is a far cry from actually making a mammoth, or even an elephant/mammoth hybrid. So far, it's not really enough to be published in a scientific journal. As for the T. rex, they managed to extract blood and marrow proteins, not DNA, which has a different molecular makeup. Countries might have their secrets, but scientists always want to show off their accomplishments, and so far, nothing has been successfully shown to be de-extincted. (What's the verb form of de-extinction?)

• Like 1

I've seen the full version of this video, it actually shows the guy following it with a car to a rocky ledge where it regurgitates fish for its babies.

All those that say it's fake say so without evidence to show it is fake, so common nowadays, to make judgements without any evidence whatsoever to support such "conclusions". We heard it all before about the EM drive, thank you very much, look how wrong you were.

Really, I want to see it. You have made a claim without evidence. The video, please.

• Like 2

Guys! Check out this one. Particularly the slow mo..... I WANT ONE!!!!

Biggest thing that says hoax to me is when the "Pterdactyl" flew beyond the trees, he aims the camera down and slowly walks away. Don't you think he'd be running to keep filming it?

• Like 1

Quite possibly. It does not appear to be a model and it does exhibit some flight characteristics that I have observed in Brown Pelicans. They are large gliding birds and will also dip their heads below their wings while in flight, possible to see something of interest, they mostly use thermals to fly, with a bit of flapping in between.

The biggest reason I can see this being fake is the obvious one: You need breeding populations of creatures that have a line of ancestors. It is not possible that only one of anything like a pterosaur is alive today, you need a colony. AND, it's a flying animal, it's not like it's a sauropod lurking in the darkest swamps of the Congo. These things were large, they have to eat, land, nest and especially FLY around. It's not conceivable that something like this would not be noticed long before now.

Pretty cool though.

Many interesting stories throughout time.

Pterodactyl sightings were reported here in the 1880s, around the Castaic and Rabbit (Elizabeth today) Lake. Many prominent citizens reportedly witnessed the huge creature with leather-like wings, giant eyes and skunk-like stink to it. It would dive into the lake and come out with fish. Or, fishermen…John Boston

http://cryptozoo-oscity.blogspot.com/2009/06/pterodacyls-sightings-n-1800s-hoax-or.html

The story of the 1977 Lawndale, Illinois Thunderbird had several witnesses, but resulted in not much other than ridicule for its purported victim, Marlon Lowe. Lowe’s family and several neighbors were at a summer cook-out when they report having seen the 10-year-old carried for a short distance by a giant bird that roughly fit the description of an Andean condor. Andean condors can have 10-ft wingspans but are South American and mostly scavengers.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/12/29/nine-scary-bird-attacks-that-really-happened/

If it were real without seeing we don't know how far away were said babies.

As far as the responses about it being wrong that it is out there like that, well things are changing the weather has caused many changes in nature, my friends animals were eaten by a bear and we several hundred miles from them had a bear in the middle of the day come right at us in the yard, things are getting hungry and desperate and many are dying.

If any of the ancient species are alive on the planet we may become a prime food source soon and they will begin to show themselves.

http://www.end-times-prophecy.org/animal-deaths-birds-fish-end-times.html

As far as the responses about it being wrong that it is out there like that, well things are changing the weather has caused many changes in nature, my friends animals were eaten by a bear and we several hundred miles from them had a bear in the middle of the day come right at us in the yard, things are getting hungry and desperate and many are dying.

That's called nature. Nature happens. Just like ****.

If any of the ancient species are alive on the planet we may become a prime food source soon and they will begin to show themselves.

http://www.end-times...-end-times.html

Um...no. Just no. If any of the "ancient species" are alive on the planet, they'll be hunted, gunned downed and stuff for a museum. The lucky ones will be put into pens at zoos for us to gawk at.

And hasn't this "end times" stuff been put to rest quite often now?

I want one.

A RC glider thing or a live pterosaur?

I agree it looks faked. I saw 2 weird and large birds on my way to grand canyon in the 90s. They were so fast and

terrain made it impossible to follow. We searched miles for a day to capture them on camcorder. By the time I unpacked camcorder they split directions behind the hills.

This makes no sense, can you clarify?

I always check out reports on this type of bird in hopes to see the things we saw on vacation caught on film.

It's telling that you haven't seen or heard of them again given it has been 20-30 years and there were two.

This has same type of wings but it is missing the longer tail. What we saw looked more like a crane in flight. But its head and wings matches this video somewhat.

The local Indians said it was thunder birds. Other locals called them gargoyls but those people were souvenir traders so I took that opinion with grain of salt. They were too huge to be cranes or buzzards although they glided as lot like a buzzard intermittently. When I saw them I thought real perydactal at first but in binocals they had dark feathers on body and tail but wings looked more like bats. I'm with the Indians opinion of what we saw. They were awesome whatever they were. Their size was enormous and the heads and wings were unlike any bird I ever saw.

Again I see a disappointing video that appears fake because the flight pattern is all wrong and the hind body is all wrong.

I hope they find whatever I saw before they become extinct. There are some unusual elusive species to be discovered and its disappointing to see fakes instead of good evidence of the huge birds.

What do you think the chances are that you, driving to the Grand Canyon in your car, were witness to the last two giant birds living in North America? Isn't a more likely explanation that you misinterpreted what you were seeing?

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

I've always found this photo intriguing:

post-125363-0-60610300-1442720450_thumb.

It's the photo that was in a 1950's mystery magazine.

A similar photo came out a few years ago, and it went viral on the internet before it was proven to be Photoshopped.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 2

This makes no sense, can you clarify?

It's telling that you haven't seen or heard of them again given it has been 20-30 years and there were two.

What do you think the chances are that you, driving to the Grand Canyon in your car, were witness to the last two giant birds living in North America? Isn't a more likely explanation that you misinterpreted what you were seeing?

RVing across North America we just had enough time to grab binoculars. There's no way we could follow them across the land in a land vehicle, there were no roads where they flew. The OP was said to follow the bird in car, I find that more unlikely than seeing one.

I haven't seen anything like them since but then I haven't been back to the area. There were two flying like when you see bald eagle mates flying together.

I stress that I hope whatever species of bird I saw do not go extinct before they are officially recognized.

The people living in the area we talked to said they were thunder birds not ptersaur but they are huge with similar head of the extinct creature. They aren't seen often and an elder on the nearby Indian reservation said he believed that they migrate to and from Mexico. He was glad they were still alive and his grandchildren got to see them that day too. I asked when he last seen them and he said he only saw one when he was a boy and then one when he was about 30. He was in his 70s and said the his grand children didn't believe in the tribal myth and thought his stories were rantings of dementia. He was in his glory telling them, you didn't believe me and look whose demented now!

I don't know what they were but they were huge and I can see how people seeing one could think they are petserosaur. I don't understand how they would not be seen more often considering the size.

• Like 1

It is a drone or aircraft model, but still funny, so, take it with humor :P

Special effects or the return of a Pterosaur? Amateur footage appears to capture extinct reptile flying over Ohio

I love it !! well done

I'm in the RC camp. I freely admit to not being a pterosaur flight pattern expert, but the wing flapping appears stiff and mechanical, and when it looks underneath its body, the whole body and wings rotate with the head in a very unaerodynamic matter. Then again, I would probably be stiff too, if I had been asleep for 65 million years.

The USA might have the money, but I don't believe it has the technology yet. http://www.popsci.com/woolly-mammoth-dna-brought-life-elephant-cells says that even what George Church and friends have basically injected a small amount of reconstituted mammoth DNA into an elephant cell. This is noteworthy, but is a far cry from actually making a mammoth, or even an elephant/mammoth hybrid. So far, it's not really enough to be published in a scientific journal. As for the T. rex, they managed to extract blood and marrow proteins, not DNA, which has a different molecular makeup. Countries might have their secrets, but scientists always want to show off their accomplishments, and so far, nothing has been successfully shown to be de-extincted. (What's the verb form of de-extinction?)

"Mythical" creature following "real" roads and humans? I'm not sure you know what the word mythical actually means. And pterosaurs aren't mythical, the did exist...millions of years ago.

By the way, do you have any proof to back up your claim? How well-known could that knowledge actually be then?

Guys,. it was sarkasm, but my fault if that was not stated in my post, I am sorry :innocent:

• Like 2