Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Michio Kaku: 'teleportation will be possible'

UM-Bot

Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku maintains that many Star Trek technologies will soon become a reality.

Teleporting someone from one place to another in the blink of an eye might seem like something firmly routed within the realm of science fiction, but according to Professor Kaku technologies such as this are not only possible but could even be available within the space of just a few decades.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/285861/michio-kaku-teleportation-will-be-possible

"Quantum teleportation already exists. In fact, we took a film crew and went to the University of Maryland and actually filmed an atom being teleported. It zapped across the room from one chamber to another. So at an atomic level we do it already. It's called quantum entanglement."

"Spooky action at a distance" is not teleportation - or even "quantum teleportation". No mass disappears from one location only to reappear at another. Quantum entanglement is the process of merging a property of two (or more) objects into one property shared by the two (or more) objects. Because this one property can only have one state, when that state is modified on one of the objects, that modification can be observed on the other - no matter the distance between them.

Nothing is "transferred" from one location to another.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 4

Yeah, quantum entanglement is just exactly like what you need to read, transfer and duplicate a human... {/sarcasm}

Using similar logic, we'll also be able to reduce the entire Universe and put it in a small paper bag.

Sorry, Michio, but sometimes you just get a bit silly.

• Like 7

Regardless, I'm with "Bones" McCoy!

• Like 1

How do you process the information necessary to entangle then decode 7*1027 atoms? How much computing power would that require?

• Like 2

I had to go back and read that a second time. That has to be a misquote . Mr. Kaku is a very smart man. He could not have said entanglement is partical teleportation. Information yes. Partical no. Unless he has discovered something new he has not told everyone about. Even if it's ever possible, I don't see how consciousness could be teleported.

• Like 2

Regardless, I'm with "Bones" McCoy!

I'm with you. I'll take the shuttle.

I think there are ethical doubts with teleportation of humans. Can you really say that the person who appears on the destination side is the original person, or is it an exact copy? Is it acceptable that the person on the transmitting side has to be destroyed in the process?

The "big deal" in teleportation at the moment is not the actual transfer of data but the gathering of data to create a template for transmission. Everything, even the human mind and consciousness, can be broken down into data packages for transmission. At the moment this process is technically feasible but too time consuming to be practical. HOWEVER, quantum computers will increase the speed of data accumulation by tens of thousands of times at least. (and quantum computing is made a reality by the transmission of data via quantum entanglement, which has already been achieved.)

Then an object will be scanned and all its data collected.That data will be transported creating a new object on the other end. Two possibilities exist First to generate two seperate packages, one at each end, OR to that the original package is destroyed in the process of creating the new one.

This is total bs

Not in 10 years not in 50...not even in 5000 years.

Being able to copy , replicate and rearrange 7*1027 atoms

Transfering all memories, skills, experience, emotions, characteristics, personality, natural instinct, basically all information within our brain .....come on now!

I had to go back and read that a second time. That has to be a misquote . Mr. Kaku is a very smart man. He could not have said entanglement is partical teleportation. Information yes. Partical no. Unless he has discovered something new he has not told everyone about. Even if it's ever possible, I don't see how consciousness could be teleported.

Although I quite like him as he does bring science into the home and makes it interesting, he is no stranger to incorrect and very confusing claims.

LINK - Michio Kaku's confusing Higgs remarks

• Like 1

Although I quite like him as he does bring science into the home and makes it interesting, he is no stranger to incorrect and very confusing claims.

LINK - Michio Kaku's confusing Higgs remarks

Ha !

- Just as I suspected !

.... " a sometimes excessively lively popularizer of physics, not to mention more general aspects of science fiction marketed as science: "

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

Ha !

- Just as I suspected !

.... " a sometimes excessively lively popularizer of physics, not to mention more general aspects of science fiction marketed as science: "

That is true, but that is his style, he actually has a show called Sci Fi Science: Physics of the Impossible, in which he attempts to bridge that gap. Not bad, I have seen a few episodes, How to Build a UFO and How to Build Lightsaber.

I think the scientific community expect too much from him, and the home audience do not get enough, he seems to sit in scientific purgatory.

But it would not hurt for him to slow down a bit, he makes these little mistakes far too often considering he is supposed to be spreading knowledge.

This is total bs

Transfering all memories, skills, experience, emotions, characteristics, personality, natural instinct, basically all information within our brain .....come on now!

If it takes a modern super computer to do the math to transport 1 atom. And if processing ability doubles every 1.5 years. Then it will only take about 140 years to reach a point where our computers are 10^27 times more powerful. :yes:

It is a lot more complex then that, but doubling can accomplish stuff relatively fast. :tu:

Sometimes science trumps science fiction. Science Fiction total missed predicting smart phones. The closest it got was Kirk's primitive little flip phone and McCoy's bulky tricorder with it's tiny little CRT screen. The closest was in the funny pages with Dick Tracy's wrist tv radio.

I wouldn't want to try it. End up a squidgy mess like when it goes wrong on Star Trek

If it takes a modern super computer to do the math to transport 1 atom. And if processing ability doubles every 1.5 years. Then it will only take about 140 years to reach a point where our computers are 10^27 times more powerful. :yes:

It is a lot more complex then that, but doubling can accomplish stuff relatively fast. :tu:

While all that is true, it's the timing, and also the fact that you are *duplicating* the human, that is the issue...

First up, every single atom/molecule would really have to be in the exact same state, right down to electron locations, to be absolutely sure of a perfect copy er teleportation. It's like the old 'Butterfly Effect' - very tiny inaccuracies could have horrific implications and would mean that the new you wasn't the same as the old one.. And given 'Heisenberg', that really is a very difficult thing to do (currently completely impossible on even a single atom/molecule).

Second, does the teleporting system somehow verify that you are 99.9999% correct at the new location, before killing.. er 'removing' the now unwanted copy? What does it do with the body? And what if version one doesn't want to be removed?

Or is Michio completely missing the point? Should he instead be ruminating upon some sort of wormhole thingy where you do NOT transfer all the information to another place and rebuild the human, but instead send the human, intact, thru a generated discontinuity in the space-time continuum (probably using hyper-plasma technology :D :D)?

See, I can use the buzzwords too..

BTW, We have NOT EVER moved an atom or molecule by teleporting, no matter what our resident expert on everything claims.. ONLY a quantum state, ie a tiny piece of information, was 'transmitted'. That is NOT teleporting, and quantum entanglement really only offers the potential of faster than light (ie instantaneous) movement of information.

It has yet to be used for that purpose, so to say it portends teleportation - which involves MUCH more than just atom states and also creates the 'duplicate' problem - is ridiculous.

A tip for those wishing to be experts - don't just believe headlines - do the proper research.

• Like 5

I think he's right, and it will be a possibility one day, it's just definitely not something that could happen in one generation or even two. I imagine it will be far, far into the future before we have teleportation- but I think be it a few hundred years or a few thousand, it will happen eventually.

This is total bs

Theoretically no problem at all.Technically only requires greater computing power and speed which WILL come from quantum computers. Do you now how long it took Columbus to get to america and how fast you can do it today? And that is in a span of only about 500 years with minimal technological progress until the end of the 19th century