Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Michio Kaku: 'teleportation will be possible'

UM-Bot

No . no human being can occupy the same time space location more than once ... all the science fiction stories say that!

Actually that's not quite what they say, but never mind No one occupies the same space twice because of the expansion of the universe. What science says is that no two bodies can occupy the same precise space (in the universe) at the same time and survive. Thus in time travel you can't go back to exactly where you were in the time space continuum but you could manifest right along side yourself. There is no scientific prohibition on that, just a fictional literary device used in plotting stories.

Thus cloning via telportation doesn't break that rule The new body and the old one have both moved on from the original space time coordinates as the universe has expanded, and neither occupies the same space as either each other or the original.

You could construct a million copies of yourself They would all be identical at construction but would then diverge and evolve into totally different human beings just like identical twins or triplets do from birth..

Edited by Mr Walker

I am also convinced by the sequential revealing of elements of the story/plot, that the writers intended the teleporter to be real (otherwise all the other stuff/background information about Tesla and his achievements is irrelevant to the audience)

The whole movie is a trick, a masterpiece in the magician's art of misdirection. Like I said, Tesla believed his teleporter worked, so the background information on him is essential.

Edit: You mentioned the blind stage-hands. At the start of the movie the man falls into the water tank (like I say, this is Gerald Root, the double Angier has used before). You can hear the man shouting in the water and hitting the inside of the tank. If that happened every night, how come the blind stage-hands didn't hear it? Yes, they wouldn't see the man in the tank, but they would hear him and know something was going on. You see, it's all misdirection by that brilliant director Chris Nolan!

Edited by Derek Willis

The whole movie is a trick, a masterpiece in the magician's art of misdirection. Like I said, Tesla believed his teleporter worked, so the background information on him is essential.

Edit: You mentioned the blind stage-hands. At the start of the movie the man falls into the water tank (like I say, this is Gerald Root, the double Angier has used before). You can hear the man shouting in the water and hitting the inside of the tank. If that happened every night, how come the blind stage-hands didn't hear it? Yes, they wouldn't see the man in the tank, but they would hear him and know something was going on. You see, it's all misdirection by that brilliant director Chris Nolan!

Did he tell you this, because i cant find that supposition supported anywhere. And given that the screen play is based on Christopher Priest's fantasy/science fiction novel where the teleportation IS real, I doubt i ever will

Edited by Mr Walker

Did he tell you this, because i cant find that supposition supported anywhere.

No, Chris Nolan didn't tell me that. However, here is an interesting quote:

"The Prestige is the ultimate example of cinematic sleight of hand. You watch it, and then you loose the thread and you think, what's going on here? Chris Nolan leads you by the nose right the way through the movie and then you discover the whole thing is a trick."

The quote is from Michael Caine's biography "The Elephant to Hollywood".

Chris Nolan didn't tell me anything, but he obviously did tell Michael Caine what The Prestige is all about.

Edit: I have read the book as well. Remember, the narrative is based on the diaries received by Nicholas Borden - there is no guarantee the content of the diaries is genuine. Again, the whole thing is a trick.

Edited by Derek Willis

No, Chris Nolan didn't tell me that. However, here is an interesting quote:

"The Prestige is the ultimate example of cinematic sleight of hand. You watch it, and then you loose the thread and you think, what's going on here? Chris Nolan leads you by the nose right the way through the movie and then you discover the whole thing is a trick."

The quote is from Michael Caine's biography "The Elephant to Hollywood".

Chris Nolan didn't tell me anything, but he obviously did tell Michael Caine what The Prestige is all about.

Edit: I have read the book as well. Remember, the narrative is based on the diaries received by Nicholas Borden - there is no guarantee the content of the diaries is genuine. Again, the whole thing is a trick.

As you wish, Buttercup.

Well, you asked the question. It's not my problem if you don't like the answer.

That was a quote from the princess bride. It means " i love you too much to argue with you. " :wub: or perhaps " I will agree with anything if it makes you happy."

You are absolutely factually wrong, because the script followed the book, and the book DID use teleportation, but it isn't a world shattering/ life changing topic so i will let you believe as you wish. Apparently there are others like you but i willlet someone else have the last comment

I do not ascribe to the theory that Tesla's machine never really worked and convincing Borden that it did work was Angier's final great trick. Here is a summary of the arguments against it:

1. In the book the machine works

2. The screenplay describes the tanks in the final scene as being filled with "yet another Robert Angier." Considering who reads the screenplay (cast and crew) it doesn't make much sense for the Nolans to lie in the script.

3. When Angier tests Tesla's machine for the first time, the new Angier that appears is very obviously not "Root" (the original double) which can be discerned by his teeth and nose, which were always significantly different than Angier's. In addition, in the screenplay, the man who appears is described as "Second Angier."

4. Finally in an interview on MovieWeb, Jonathan Nolan was asked if he considered having the machine not work. His response was that it "feels fundamental to the book."

5. This theory being right would invalidate the much better messages permeating the movie. If Angier doesn't get onto that stage knowing that he's going to die, the movie is reduced to an M. Night Shamalyan joint

http://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-movie-The-Prestige-underrated

and this

2. Angier's solution to the trick is a bit tough to swallow (though it is worth suspending disbelief for the payoff at the end). It requires the audience to believe that long before the cell phone was invented, Nikola Tesla invented a teleportation machine. Not only that, but it's a cloning machine that works using electricity, not chemistry, which I don't think is an easy thing for most people to unconsciously accept, because it's very difficult to imagine how applying electricity in any way would result in creating a copy of a complex biological organism. It's a bit distracting. BUT the reason this hiccup was tolerated by the author and filmmaker, and should be tolerated by the audience, is because it allows for the poetic message of the film: "Unchecked obsession can lead a man to kill himself ... over and over again." Angier has to be able to create a copy of himself so that he can make the choice, "Do I stay a mediocre performer, or do I sacrifice myself, night after night, to become great?" Angier chooses the second path and demonstrates his commitment, or insanity, by choosing to die a horrible death every night for his art. The manner in which he creates the copy has to be similar enough to how an audience would imagine a teleportation device to look and operate so as to enable the author/director to hide the machine's true nature until the en

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

That was a quote from the princess bride. It means " i love you too much to argue with you. " :wub: or perhaps " I will agree with anything if it makes you happy."

You are absolutely factually wrong, because the script followed the book, and the book DID use teleportation, but it isn't a world shattering/ life changing topic so i will let you believe as you wish. Apparently there are others like you but i willlet someone else have the last comment

I do not ascribe to the theory that Tesla's machine never really worked and convincing Borden that it did work was Angier's final great trick. Here is a summary of the arguments against it:

1. In the book the machine works

2. The screenplay describes the tanks in the final scene as being filled with "yet another Robert Angier." Considering who reads the screenplay (cast and crew) it doesn't make much sense for the Nolans to lie in the script.

3. When Angier tests Tesla's machine for the first time, the new Angier that appears is very obviously not "Root" (the original double) which can be discerned by his teeth and nose, which were always significantly different than Angier's. In addition, in the screenplay, the man who appears is described as "Second Angier."

4. Finally in an interview on MovieWeb, Jonathan Nolan was asked if he considered having the machine not work. His response was that it "feels fundamental to the book."

5. This theory being right would invalidate the much better messages permeating the movie. If Angier doesn't get onto that stage knowing that he's going to die, the movie is reduced to an M. Night Shamalyan joint

http://www.quora.com...tige-underrated

and this

2. Angier's solution to the trick is a bit tough to swallow (though it is worth suspending disbelief for the payoff at the end). It requires the audience to believe that long before the cell phone was invented, Nikola Tesla invented a teleportation machine. Not only that, but it's a cloning machine that works using electricity, not chemistry, which I don't think is an easy thing for most people to unconsciously accept, because it's very difficult to imagine how applying electricity in any way would result in creating a copy of a complex biological organism. It's a bit distracting. BUT the reason this hiccup was tolerated by the author and filmmaker, and should be tolerated by the audience, is because it allows for the poetic message of the film: "Unchecked obsession can lead a man to kill himself ... over and over again." Angier has to be able to create a copy of himself so that he can make the choice, "Do I stay a mediocre performer, or do I sacrifice myself, night after night, to become great?" Angier chooses the second path and demonstrates his commitment, or insanity, by choosing to die a horrible death every night for his art. The manner in which he creates the copy has to be similar enough to how an audience would imagine a teleportation device to look and operate so as to enable the author/director to hide the machine's true nature until the en

As you wish, Buttercup. But I prefer what Michael Caine said - i.e. the whole movie is a trick. (But who is he to have an opinion on this? He was only in the movie and is only a good friend of Chris Nolan). Incidentally, you seem to miss the whole point of epistolary novels - the mystery is whether the information received is genuine or made up. The fun of reading them - or watching an epistolary movie - is trying to work that out. And by the way, do you think Chris Nolan would be so silly as to give away a great big spoiler at an interview?

You should watch the film again, and this time carefully. Take for example the scenes when Angier tests the machine. The first scene is Angier's description of what is happening, as read in the notebook by Borden in prison. Angier is making it up in his notebook to fool Borden! The second scene, when the duplicate is made and shot by Angier, is what Angier is telling Borden happened. Even with his last breath he is still trying to fool Borden!

Walker wants the machine to be working because he wants to believe in human teleporatation .... simple.

Walker wants the machine to be working because he wants to believe in human teleporatation .... simple.

Untrue There is no connection between the two things The novel /film is science fiction based on the concept of using a matter transmitter to produce identical copies A modern examination of the same theme is seen in the excellent series dark matter. In star trek the other possibility is represented, where no original copy is left behind.

The science of teleportaion is what the fantasy is based upon, via extrapolation of present knowledge into the future. Modern science is leading us inexorably and quite quickly to a future commercial matter transmitter.

I don't believe teleportation exists today or was invented by tesla But i do believe( given humanity's continued existence) that matter transmission will be commonplace in most homes within 50-100 years as tvs and computers and microwaves are today.

I tis true that i immediately KNEW what the trick would be and was able to suspend the disbelief that tesla had invented it, because of my background with science fiction concepts .

That is materially different to knowing current science on the matter (pun intended)

Edited by Mr Walker

Star trek has two teletranspotation machines:

People and things transpotator

And

Food and things printer: it has memory of things, and just replicate them.

3d printer is almost ready, but we need the real molecules storage if we want print a cake.

So, the best way of transportation is by folding the space, dune worms help on it. There is no an atom disgregation and reconstruction, just a short walk to the other side of the door.

But i will pay for a box that can replicate any food or thing.

Star trek has two teletranspotation machines:

People and things transpotator

And

Food and things printer: it has memory of things, and just replicate them.

3d printer is almost ready, but we need the real molecules storage if we want print a cake.

So, the best way of transportation is by folding the space, dune worms help on it. There is no an atom disgregation and reconstruction, just a short walk to the other side of the door.

But i will pay for a box that can replicate any food or thing.

BAck to earth won't like this but,

In the real world[edit]

In 2014, researchers at Nestlé were reported as working on technology comparable to the replicator, with the goal of providing food tailored to an individual's nutritional requirements.[6]

Imperial College London physicists have discovered how to create matter from light - a feat thought impossible when the idea was first theorised 80 years ago. In just one day in Imperial's Blackett Physics Laboratory, three physicists worked out a relatively simple way to physically prove a theory first devised by scientists Breit and Wheeler in 1934.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicator_(Star_Trek)

Mr Walker, why didn't you elaborate on these and explain just how they relate to your teleporter? In detail please.

In regard to the Nestle vending machine, here's what they were talking about:

Ultimately the goal of the company is to figure out a cheap and fast method of analyzing a person’s dietary needs, or those supplements they are lacking. They then hope to feed this information into a machine, which could work in the same basic way as their Nespresso machines do, in that the user puts several powder capsules into the machine, and then it synthesizes a customized meal for that person.

Umm, yes, it mixes powders and water to cook up.. stuff. Gee, that's almost like my coffee machine, so yep, just like a teleporter.... {sarcasm}

And may I suggest that you learn the rather large difference between briefly forming an electron-positron pair, and matter... You know, the stuff that also contains protons, neutrons, gets created in stars where there is sufficient energy to create the heavier elements by fusing hydrogen/helium..

Anyway, if all you are going to do is Google up anything that says "like in Star Trek" or "Teleport", you can have fun entertaining yourself and posting more irrelevant and shallow articles for hours/days/weeks...

But I think the interest has already gone, as the intelligent readers here think it through and realise that what you are posting has little or nothing to do with the fantasy.

• Like 3

I wonder if time manipulation would effectively be teleportation? If you skipped an hour, or a day forward and appears somewhere else. I'm not sure how that might work, unless you somehow maintain your frame of reference. Even just moving across the face of the Earth by skipping several minutes or seconds into the future might put you underground, or way up in the sky.

Probably a bad idea, forget it....

• Like 1

I wonder if time manipulation would effectively be teleportation? If you skipped an hour, or a day forward and appears somewhere else. I'm not sure how that might work, unless you somehow maintain your frame of reference. Even just moving across the face of the Earth by skipping several minutes or seconds into the future might put you underground, or way up in the sky.

Probably a bad idea, forget it....

On the contrary - this type of 'teleportation', time shifts or some sort of dimensional wormholey thing (sorry for those highly technical terms) are really the only way it could work, namely by transporting you, not duplicating you. Other methods, like the Nespresso machine, mean you would not only have to measure the exact state of every single atom/molecule/cell/bacterium/etc but also then, using an incredible array of very expensive raw materials at the other end, somehow create a duplicate. That duplicate would NOT be you - it would be a completely new being, and even if any memories or personailty survived all that, it would have a completely new and separate life and identity. The legal implications would be horrendous, and after all of that, I'd have to ask..

WHY? Why the hell would you want to do that? Just 'cause you want to go somewhere really fast? YOU wouldn't, it would be a new creature and you would know nothing of the new location and NOT be there anyway...

Given what technologies would HAVE to exist by then, you could simply slip on a VR suit and 'be' there, anyway..

Sorry, Michio. This is just dumb.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 3

This just goes to show that even the smartest people on the planet aren't always that smart. I truly admire Kaku, he's one of my favorites. But lets face it, this is as ChrLzs says it is: dumb.

• Like 1

BAck to earth won't like this but,

Wrong again Walkies ! (as usual )

In the real world[edit]

In 2014, researchers at Nestlé were reported as working on technology comparable to the replicator, with the goal of providing food tailored to an individual's nutritional requirements.[6]

Imperial College London physicists have discovered how to create matter from light - a feat thought impossible when the idea was first theorised 80 years ago. In just one day in Imperial's Blackett Physics Laboratory, three physicists worked out a relatively simple way to physically prove a theory first devised by scientists Breit and Wheeler in 1934.[7]

https://en.wikipedia...ator_(Star_Trek)

"reported as working on " .... that's a fact is it ..... you know, some people are 'working on' all sorts of things ... that may not actually come to fruition. All your statements about 'future science' that WILL happen are like this , is pop science advertising ; 'working on ... about to .... alleged ... will one day ... any time soon ..... scientists will discover ....

aside from that ... this has to be your most stupid and ridiculous example yet of your 'future reality' manifesting

How about this ... we drop in some capsules of vitamins. proteins, enzymes, some BS powder and a dose self aggrandisement ....

and Walker pops out the shute . Simple :su

As far as creating matter from light ; ummmm see below;

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

Mr Walker, why didn't you elaborate on these and explain just how they relate to your teleporter? In detail please.

Umm, yes, it mixes powders and water to cook up.. stuff. Gee, that's almost like my coffee machine, so yep, just like a teleporter.... {sarcasm}

And may I suggest that you learn the rather large difference between briefly forming an electron-positron pair, and matter... You know, the stuff that also contains protons, neutrons, gets created in stars where there is sufficient energy to create the heavier elements by fusing hydrogen/helium..

Anyway, if all you are going to do is Google up anything that says "like in Star Trek" or "Teleport", you can have fun entertaining yourself and posting more irrelevant and shallow articles for hours/days/weeks...

But I think the interest has already gone, as the intelligent readers here think it through and realise that what you are posting has little or nothing to do with the fantasy.

he does this all the time ..... a quick google search to back up ( or so he thinks) what he is on about, and then endless raves trying to justify it ... and segwaying around

I love the candy bar 'teleporter ' machine :w00t: ..... maybe Walker can use it to get to work :D

... and we all know how well just an ordinary vending machine works !

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

That response was directly to another posters comment about replicators on star trek From my reading of the article i quoted, nesltes is actually looking at a device which could act as a replicator by synthesising elements needed for dietary requirements into a food product. It doesn't involve teleportation and is more like a 3d printer which ALSO synthesises/ mixes the food it prints to individual dietary requirements. It doesn't say how far they have got with the research but that was the aim of it.

it goes to my argument which is this RIGHT NOW the fundamental physics of eventual transporters and replicators is being researched and developed It is in the early stages as radio and television once were, but science is working on elements which will come together in time It is disappointing that so few people have so liltle understanding of or confidence in, the rapid advances of human science.

Depending on the form of test my intelligence quotient tops out around 160 but that s because i cheat by doing so many of them that i learn the process Truly i think the problem doesn't lie with my intelligence. but with the lack of understanding of the nature of modern science and its rate of progress by many Science is not a set of discrete enquiries but a synthesis of many related ones Thus quantum computing is connected to teleportation of entangled photons as is the development of artificial intelligence Nannites and nano machines connect to just about every thing from medicine to construction and genetic engineering gives humans control over their own bodies and all of nature

My reading of the other article is that this is EXACTLY what is being done (forming basic matter ) although this was the first i had read of this and i would need to do more research on it. Again, once theory is proven, and the first steps are taken, the end result is only a matter of time

Edited by Mr Walker

That response was directly to another posters comment about replicators on star trek From my reading of the article i quoted, nesltes is actually looking at a device which could act as a replicator by synthesising elements needed for dietary requirements into a food product.

OH REALLY???

QUOTE the section that says that. In other words - STOP handwaving and making stuff up. I don't care what you think - I care about what was actually said and what can be verified. It seems others may be of the same mindset, by the looks....

• Like 2

That response was directly to another posters comment about replicators on star trek From my reading of the article i quoted, nesltes is actually looking at a device which could act as a replicator by synthesising elements needed for dietary requirements into a food product. It doesn't involve teleportation and is more like a 3d printer which ALSO synthesises/ mixes the food it prints to individual dietary requirements. It doesn't say how far they have got with the research but that was the aim of it.

it goes to my argument which is this RIGHT NOW the fundamental physics of eventual transporters and replicators is being researched and developed It is in the early stages as radio and television once were, but science is working on elements which will come together in time It is disappointing that so few people have so liltle understanding of or confidence in, the rapid advances of human science.

Depending on the form of test my intelligence quotient tops out around 160 but that s because i cheat by doing so many of them that i learn the process Truly i think the problem doesn't lie with my intelligence. but with the lack of understanding of the nature of modern science and its rate of progress by many Science is not a set of discrete enquiries but a synthesis of many related ones Thus quantum computing is connected to teleportation of entangled photons as is the development of artificial intelligence Nannites and nano machines connect to just about every thing from medicine to construction and genetic engineering gives humans control over their own bodies and all of nature

You wish !

Time and time again you try this .... with your bad examples and misread articles.

Yes, some into scientism believe what you do too . Unfortunately they try to influence the masses with their pop extrapolations.

Look up the wiki entry on scientism so you understand that is what you are following - not science !

Family.jpg

Edited by back to earth

OH REALLY???

QUOTE the section that says that. In other words - STOP handwaving and making stuff up. I don't care what you think - I care about what was actually said and what can be verified. It seems others may be of the same mindset, by the looks....

he is off again, and if acting as usual, will continue on this BS vein with large swaths of posts about how all these people he knows thinks he is great and right !

I have stopped checking his links as when I did before they did not say what he claimed they did, and when I challenged him on it .... see the line above ^ .

• Like 1

You wish !

Time and time again you try this .... with your bad examples and misread articles.

Yes, some into scientism believe what you do too . Unfortunately they try to influence the masses with their pop extrapolations.

Look up the wiki entry on scientism so you understand that is what you are following - not science !

Family.jpg

I can only laugh at your pessimism.

100 years ago you would have been deriding satellites, television, organ transplants, bionic eyes and ears , prosthetics controlled by thought, computers and certainly mobile phones with video capabliity. You would have laughed at anyone who suggested polio and tetanus could be vaccinated against Knowing exactly where you were on the earth's surface ? IMpossible. Space stations and men on the moon. Pure scientism

You might even have been one of those people who thought travelling by plane would produce stresses on the human body which would be fatal. What do YOU think the world will be like in just 50 years time, let alone another century. or are you only capable of knocking what you fear, rather than seeing the future as it is very likely to be.

• Like 1

OH REALLY???

Nestle, the biggest food company in the world, says it is planning to build a Star Trek-style machine which produces "food at the press of a button".

Nestle says the solution to the problem is not through pills but with tailored foods that could be created in a machine for individuals.

"Out comes your food at the press of a button," NIHS chief Dr. Emmanuel Baetge told Bloomberg.

The company says it is around 5-10 years away and could resemble the replicator that made meals on starships like the Enterprise in Star Trek.

And That IS what the original star trek replicators did. They took raw materials and synthesised them into different meals This didn't involve teleportation but it did use a technology like 3D printing where a number of raw materials were shaped /synthesised, using a computer template, to produce an edible finished product on order for an individual. . It sounds to me that that is EXACTLY what Neslte is talking about.

Edited by Mr Walker

Thanks Mr Walker - you said that it was "Synthesising elements" NOTHING Like that is stated in the article.

Me,. I would have apologised for getting it wrong and trying to misleading the forum, but you... more bluster.

• Like 2