Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Defense labs possibly mishandled plague bac

questionmark

WASHINGTON, Sept. 11 (UPI) -- Defense Department labs may have improperly stored samples of bacteria that could cause plague in addition to anthrax and other toxins for which the facilities were already under scrutiny, a Pentagon spokesman said.

A new inquiry involving the shipment and storage of samples of the Yersinia pestis bacteria, which can cause plague, and two mosquito-borne viruses that can cause death and brain damage, Eastern equine encephalitis and Venezuelan equine encephalitis, are part of a larger investigation begun earlier this year, involving live anthrax samples which were shipped from Pentagon labs to 86 research facilities around the world in the past several years.

The investigation centers on the discovery of anthrax contamination at a Utah lab, and incomplete record-keeping at other labs, and follows an Army order to review safety procedures involving the handling, storage and transport of all toxic agents.

Read more

Ummmmmm...given the outbreak of the plague in several parts of the US this year I could be tempted to create a CT....

Edited by questionmark

I have always taken a bit too much pleasure in studying the history of the plague, its spread, effects of populations and societies, the strange lack of it in Africa, India and Possibly China.

However, a few years back I was at the Grand Canyon staring at a sign warning me to avoid plagued squirrels.

And then I remembered the 10s of millions of dead people.

• Like 1

About Dugway - MISSION:

U.S. Army Dugway Proving Ground executes efficient testing and support to enable our nation's defenders to counter

chemical, biological, radiological, and explosives (CBRE) hazards

http://www.dugway.army.mil/#

Hurrah! :clap:

I'm not surprised. Seems you are always hearing how they shipped it to the wrong place or it got thrown out with the trash or something.

What we should worry about is all the new diseases they are digging out of the permafrost that we have zero immunity to.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/09/09/new-giant-virus-reanimated-after-being-frozen-in-ice-for-30000-years-why-scientists-say-it-should-be-of-concern/

• Like 1

I remember seeing a sign posted warning about plague in a prairie dog colony near South Dakota. So it must be pretty common naturally in the US.

Here is where there have been plague outbreaks since the introduction of the plague in the US:

USPlague70_12_611_pxWide.gif

And this is what happened after 2012:

US reports unusual spike in human plague cases

Miami (AFP) - An unusually high number of cases of human plague have been recorded by US health authorities since April -- 11 in all, with three of them fatal, officials said Tuesday.

"It is unclear why the number of cases in 2015 is higher than usual," the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

The CDC said that having 11 cases in just the past four months is unusual.

Read more

now whether that has to do something with this:

3 plague-infected lab mice missing

Originally published September 16, 2005 at 12:00 am Updated September 15, 2005 at 10:08 pm

Three laboratory mice infected with the bacteria responsible for bubonic plague are missing from a bioterrorism-research facility in Newark...

NEWARK, N.J. — Three laboratory mice infected with the bacteria responsible for bubonic plague are missing from a bioterrorism-research facility in Newark, sparking an investigation by federal and state authorities.

Officials said the animals could have been stolen from the center, one of the top-level biocontainment labs in New Jersey — or simply misplaced. The discovery occurred more than two weeks ago and was confirmed Wednesday after questions were raised by The Star-Ledger newspaper.

Read more

or with the Army, or is totally unrelated is something we will never know.

• Like 1

I find it reassuring that they are now reviewing their failures at respecting a virus that killed 25-66% of all Europeans in the 14th century.

What next gov't scientists are now no longer gonna be allowed to taunt ebola, mock anthrax or keep yellow fever samples in the break-room fridge?

Keep in mind, the plague bacterium is not nearly as dangerous in light of modern medicine.

Not that this wasnt stupid, but the plague itself is not that serious any longer.

Middle Age Europe didnt have access to antibiotics.

• Like 1

Keep in mind, the plague bacterium is not nearly as dangerous in light of modern medicine.

Not that this wasnt stupid, but the plague itself is not that serious any longer.

Middle Age Europe didnt have access to antibiotics.

Which thanks to abuse and overuse in livestock raising is less and less effective. We still could get a surprise or two there...

Which thanks to abuse and overuse in livestock raising is less and less effective. We still could get a surprise or two there...

Yeah. Though the plague bacterium doesn't have much interaction with antibiotics so hasnt developed resistance.

Its vectors are pretty isolated from himan activities.

• Like 1

Yeah. Though the plague bacterium doesn't have much interaction with antibiotics so hasnt developed resistance.

Its vectors are pretty isolated from himan activities.

Are you certain of that? 'Cause I am not.

i'm not sure why you're attempting to make a connection here, questiomark. the mice were in newark, nj. the improper storage thing happened in maryland. and the reported cases this year were in:

Colorado and two each in Arizona, New Mexico and California. Another infection took place in Oregon.

the opposite side of the country, and the region where the plague is endemic. there's no connection to be made.

I have a question...

Have scientist 100% come to the conclusion that bubonic plague and the black death were the same thing?

Every time i turn around i read something once again asking that question...

• Like 1

I have a question...

Have scientist 100% come to the conclusion that bubonic plague and the black death were the same thing?

It's been a while since i've read into it but i do recall the above to be perceived as true.

So the race is on about what kills us first: killer virus' escaping from a government lab or killer virusses emerging from melting permafrost areas.

Judging from the recent plague alert in Yosemite, the government is leading.. Awesome.

• Like 1

How about diseases like TB that have become antibiotic resistant because of people not finishing their meds. This takes place a lot in India. Now there is a antibiotic resistant Gonorrhea and MERSA. Can you imagine people once again dieing from a once treatable STD or just for going to the hospital to have a simple surgery.

How about diseases like TB that have become antibiotic resistant because of people not finishing their meds. This takes place a lot in India. Now there is a antibiotic resistant Gonorrhea and MERSA. Can you imagine people once again dieing from a once treatable STD or just for going to the hospital to have a simple surgery.

That was also true while antibiotics were in full blast. The "sterilization" madness in hospitals has created several multiresistant bacteria that are not very healthy to come in contact with.

I have always taken a bit too much pleasure in studying the history of the plague, its spread, effects of populations and societies, the strange lack of it in Africa, India and Possibly China.

However, a few years back I was at the Grand Canyon staring at a sign warning me to avoid plagued squirrels.

And then I remembered the 10s of millions of dead people.

I was in NM when some Indians were dying from unknown illness later linked rodents. With people traveling it can be carried anywhere. I was traveling 5 weeks cross country in RV and when we got home there was a Mexican mouse in it! Dog also on vacation killed mouse. As precaution from vet we all got rounds of antibiotics because of alert from the reservation illnesses.

Odd infections have happened alot not just recently. It only takes one insect, animal, or person to be a carrier, that's why we hope CDC does there job for prevention and control. I remember in Georgia they had HIV chimpanzee breech before they knew much about the mystery disease.

I see same problem with research biohazards. If I'm Joe Doe working with bio waste how do I know how serious it is. The everyday testing materiel waste of hospitals have the same red biohazard labels. Not all the waste employees follow protocol, they eventually get fired but the breech exists. Labeling has to be correct and protocol has to be followed.

Mistakes and just plain carelessness happens all the time. I hope all the press does its job like this USA today to make everyone more aware cautious and to increase regulations on lab research.